• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT9| Kaladesh - Cruisin' Down the Street in my 6/4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's some parasitic partner dudes

xW872g6.png
XUv3Bwc.png

I'm pleased with how the images I found feel like they compliment the designs

There's neat combos there - if Alpharn gets killed early, Omegar can fuck up the board and keep your creatures safe.

So you leave Alpha in the command zone the entire game, then you cast Omega as a WB no regenerate Fumigate with a Hasty Vigilant 4/4 Deathtocher body attached and oh by the way all my creatures were Indestructible so they're fine. Yes, I get that you can only really pull this trick off once before it starts getting a bit harder but still. At bare minimum it means freely tossing out board wipes during your turn and, being Mardu, you have access to a whole lot of them.

Ashodin

I think you got it - it really only works once before your opponents get the idea to hate you out.

So maybe not the most balanced design, but damn is it cool.

ultron87

Also Alpharn 3rd line of text is very confusing. Does it work when they're both in the command zone? Or only when he's on the battlefield? I think as written it's only when he's on the battlefield, but is that the intention?

Ashodin

I based it off Oloro, which is one of the only ones that work that way. It's possible there's rulings that would need to be made.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
I mean, I won't argue some commander cards are more broken than others, but these are pretty up there.

I mean...the value for 'not' casting Omegar would be absolutely bonkers. You get a free permanent Avacyn-for-creatures on your turn for literally not doing anything with him, lol. Pack in WoG, DoJ, and Damnation, and you're pretty set for any kind of aggressive creature deck.

Depends on the table, sure, but I'd think it safe to assume you'd get hated as fast, if not faster, than even Sharuum, Kaalia or the like.

"If X is in your command zone" mechanics are probably not going to be a thing again.

The problem is that the Command Zone is impossible to interact with- the cards are dumb and unfun because of it.

Yeah, one of my buddies made an Oloro deck, and he just griiiiiiiinds you out while often leaving Oloro in the command zone. Drags games out in multiplayer by quite a bit, lol. And not in a fun way, a lot of the time.

Wulfric

Got slaughtered during Innistrad flashback draft this morning; I didn't even know W/B flyers was a thing. I even drafted two Spider Spawning and a Garruk Relentless and still lost to Claustrophobia both games. I can see why people like the draft format though. Even the commons managed to do cool stuff. Kinda salty Moonmist wasn't included in SoI block.

Also, I've been planning to buylist some stuff for Volcanic Island and a FoW somewhat soonish. Correct me if I'm wrong, but these cards seem likely to be Modern Masters fodder come next March. Am I doing OK at these prices?

4x Noble Hierarch
4x Voice of Resurgence
4x Kitchen Finks

(store credit: SCG: $272, Kingdom: $302, CFB: $312)

bigkrev

Also, I've been planning to buylist some stuff for Volcanic Island and a FoW somewhat soonish. Correct me if I'm wrong, but these cards seem likely to be Modern Masters fodder come next March. Am I doing OK at these prices?

4x Noble Hierarch
4x Voice of Resurgence
4x Kitchen Finks

(store credit: SCG: $272, Kingdom: $302, CFB: $312)

I've been doing a LOT of buylisting the past 2 months, I can help you out here!

The important thing to note about Card Kingdom is that the card you think is NM, they think is SP. They are SUPER stringent about condition, which is a great thing when buying from them (because you can buy SP cards from them and get basically NM cards), but means that you should only expect 85% of their posted value if you have ever shuffled those cards more than once.

I have found that Isle of Cards is the best overall buylist on the internet- they pay a good price on cards (if your Hierarchs are from Conflux, they have the best price), but as they primarially sell Standard and Modern cards, and you want to get Legacy cards, there will be an issue. I just checked, they have EMA Forces in stock, but no Islands at all.

Never played affinity before, it's pretty fun. I've been messing with a white-red affinity list today and these were the turn 1 board states from my first three games:

kjhlkjp8shr.png

Playing Toolcraft Exemplar, Dispatch and Galvanic Blast as my colored cards in the main. Not sure the Blasts are worth it, though.

OnPoint

Guys.

When are they bringing back Tibalt?

Amonkhet maybe? I'd love if he was just 'walking around the multiverse causing mischief. Would be great if there was a card where he did something goofy and Bolas was just annoyed with him.

Interview with Kelly Digges about Kaladesh Inventions

Announcing Art of Amonkhet
V3dx6xXBER.png

The Art of Magic: The Gathering—Amonkhet will offer readers insights about the people of Amonkhet, whose lives are a series of trials meant to prepare them for the great God-Pharaoh's return. The glorious hope and desolate despair of Amonkhet awaits readers as the final hours draw near!

Looks nice, but I hope there's more to the sky than that.

For some reason, we are only now getting the Planeswalker's Guide for Kaladesh. It goes into more detail about certain things, but there's no new story information.

The real question with Amonkhet looming on the horiozon:

Is Wizards fine with reprinting Mother of Runes into Standard, because the Eternal Masters artwork seems like it would be a great fit.

Also, I can kind of agree that it looks a bit too sci-fi for me. I mean, Ancient Egypt already has this very strong look to it and Amonkhet looks a bit too futurist, but on the other hand it fits with Magic being a thing.

Is Wizards fine with reprinting Mother of Runes into Standard, because the Eternal Masters artwork seems like it would be a great fit.

I don't think they want to use protection from X anymore except in rare high-profile circumstances. I imagine Emrakul will be the last one for a while.

OnPoint

I have made the decision to build a group love deck using blue Braids.

For the uninitiated:

Image.ashx

I want to build a deck that helps other players, but isn't obnoxious. I'm going to stay away from things like many many Howling Mine effects since it just pisses people off and/or bogs the game down once the card draw numbers get too high.

What other group love cards can I use?

bigkrev

The real question with Amonkhet looming on the horiozon:

Also, I can kind of agree that it looks a bit too sci-fi for me. I mean, Ancient Egypt already has this very strong look to it and Amonkhet looks a bit too futurist, but on the other hand it fits with Magic being a thing.

1. LOL
2. They don't do Protection anymore
3. RFLMAO
4. Seriously have you every played with Mother of Runes

I don't think they want to use protection from X anymore except in rare high-profile circumstances. I imagine Emrakul will be the last one for a while.
1. LOL
2. They don't do Protection anymore
3. RFLMAO
4. Seriously have you every played with Mother of Runes

To quote Mark Rosewater on the matter of Protection:

Real quick for those that might not know the terminology: An evergreen mechanic is something that we use in (almost) every set. Flying, first strike, and trample are examples of evergeen mechanics. A deciduous mechanic is something we don't use most of the time but is available to any set that wants to use it. Hybrid mana, double-faced cards, and protection are all examples of deciduous mechanics. So what would it take for energy to become deciduous?

By his own account, Protection isn't completely gone, unlike Regeneration. Honestly, having a card that
  • has Egyptian inspired art that Wizards has been reprinting with this art since 2014
  • Has the ability to protect creatures from death, which is what the Trials of Amonkhet sound like their purpose is
  • doesn't have Protection itself, the ability itself has to resolve
  • Doesn't prevent Vehicles/Eldrazi/Artifacts from punching in

sounds like flavor home run to me. Yes, I have played with Mother of Runes. Is it a good card? Yes, yes it is. Is it too powerful for Standard? I don't think so, considering that Standard has more removal then Legacy where MoR is major.

kirblar

If you don't think Mother of Runes is too strong for standard, you really shouldn't be commenting on whether things are too strong for standard until you've got more experience under your belt.

The card is completely absurd and nowhere near an acceptable power level for Modern or Standard. And this isn't a close call.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Mother of Runes would be pretty dumb with something like Pummeler combo around. There's also the fact that its just generically too good.

Ashodin

Mother of Runes is STUPID good for Standard. It would never get reprinted.

It makes blockers immune to damage, threats immune to removal, blockers unblockable, etc.

It's insane.

bigkrev

sounds like flavor home run to me. Yes, I have played with Mother of Runes. Is it a good card? Yes, yes it is. Is it too powerful for Standard? I don't think so, considering that Standard has more removal then Legacy where MoR is major.

1. Gameplay will ALWAYS trump Flavor/Story. It's why you got a Ludvic that doesn't do anything in the flavor of it's character, it's the reason why you didn't get Inquisition of Kozeliek in OGW when it would have fit the story, ect.

2. Outside of the Mountain accidentally included in Arabian Nights, Felidar Soverign and Dragonspeaker Shaman in Battle for Zendikar and the entirety of the Timeshifted sheet in Time Spiral, they never re-use art in expansion sets. If they were reprinting this card, it would need new art.

3. Even outside of absurd power level in constructed, it also violates their rule of on-board tricks in Limited. We don't get Samite Healer anymore, on the RARE occurances of Angelic Page getting printed it's at Uncommon (I believe that since NWO, only Anoiter of Champions in Magic Origins has been printed, and this one can't be used on blockers). Granting Protection at will is an absurdly complicated on board trick that I would only print at Mythic Rare in a normal expansion I expect drafted at FNM

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
When's the last time a Planeswalker was in both decks in the PT final and still plummeted in price?

Nissa, Voice of Zendikar was a 4-of in a winning PT deck and never really spiked at all.

Wulfric

I've been doing a LOT of buylisting the past 2 months, I can help you out here!

The important thing to note about Card Kingdom is that the card you think is NM, they think is SP. They are SUPER stringent about condition, which is a great thing when buying from them (because you can buy SP cards from them and get basically NM cards), but means that you should only expect 85% of their posted value if you have ever shuffled those cards more than once.

Thanks krev, I think I'm going with CFB this time just to be safe. They're fast and they've surprised me by grading what I think is SP at NM occasionally. They seem to have more Legacy stock than Kingdom as well.

Gosh, I really hope Amonkhet is good. We've been waiting too long for Egypt world for it to be a disappointment gameplay wise. Key art looks fine though.

Bonus points if there are leonin on the plane. It's been a while since they have been included in a standard expansion.

If you don't think Mother of Runes is too strong for standard, you really shouldn't be commenting on whether things are too strong for standard until you've got more experience under your belt.

The card is completely absurd and nowhere near an acceptable power level for Modern or Standard. And this isn't a close call.
Based on what exactly? Legacy, where only one of the top 5 spells played is removal(and it's abrupt decay at 5 vs Path/Bolt at 1/2 in Modern? Urza Period Standard, which was full of broken degenerate shit? Commander, where it's a 1 of in the 99?

I'm not seeing where it's this big taboo in Modern/Standard, which are literally full of removal/answers.
Mother of Runes is STUPID good for Standard. It would never get reprinted.

It makes blockers immune to damage, threats immune to removal, blockers unblockable, etc.

It's insane.
Yeah at a rate of one creature per turn cycle. That's not this big insane "OP" metric, not at all. Again, Mother of Runes can't grant pro-colourless, and Kaladesh is littered with Artifact chump blockers.

The idea that it would be "too good" for the electrostatic pummeler deck ignores that it's the complete opposite of what the deck wants. It doesn't make energy, doesn't increase power, or is a good attacker.
1. Gameplay will ALWAYS trump Flavor/Story. It's why you got a Ludvic that doesn't do anything in the flavor of it's character, it's the reason why you didn't get Inquisition of Kozeliek in OGW when it would have fit the story, ect.

2. Outside of the Mountain accidentally included in Arabian Nights, Felidar Soverign and Dragonspeaker Shaman in Battle for Zendikar and the entirety of the Timeshifted sheet in Time Spiral, they never re-use art in expansion sets. If they were reprinting this card, it would need new art.

3. Even outside of absurd power level in constructed, it also violates their rule of on-board tricks in Limited. We don't get Samite Healer anymore, on the RARE occurances of Angelic Page getting printed it's at Uncommon (I believe that since NWO, only Anoiter of Champions in Magic Origins has been printed, and this one can't be used on blockers). Granting Protection at will is an absurdly complicated on board trick that I would only print at Mythic Rare in a normal expansion I expect drafted at FNM

1. Both of those reasons are hot dogshit for excuses. Ludevic is the result of Wizards having their heads up their asses ala Ulrich where they hear the demand for something and then fuck it up hard while they misunderstand what people actually want. Inquistion by all means should have been in Oath, considering they literally had two Eldrazi followers in black, so their excuse of "Devoid!" is a bad excuse.

2.Wrong. If we're counting reused artwork, Ranger's Guile, Chief of the Foundry, Hamlet Captain are all reprints that used the original art, and that's all I could name off of the top of my head. They do reuse art in expansions.

3. Yeah, it'd be strong in limited but I'm not quite sure it's any more of a bomb then stuff we've had in recent sets. Again, it's a 1/1 that can nullify removal. Judging by its appearance in EMA, it's likely it would be at Rare or Mythic.

I want to make the Fabricate deck work.

Nissa+The White Fabricate Angel+ Gideon+Bounce your own dudes= Value Town.

Angry Grimace

Based on what exactly? Legacy, where only one of the top 5 spells played is removal(and it's abrupt decay at 5 vs Path/Bolt at 1/2 in Modern? Urza Period Standard, which was full of broken degenerate shit? Commander, where it's a 1 of in the 99?

I'm not seeing where it's this big taboo in Modern/Standard, which are literally full of removal/answers.

Yeah at a rate of one creature per turn cycle. That's not this big insane "OP" metric, not at all. Again, Mother of Runes can't grant pro-colourless, and Kaladesh is littered with Artifact chump blockers.

The idea that it would be "too good" for the electrostatic pummeler deck ignores that it's the complete opposite of what the deck wants. It doesn't make energy, doesn't increase power, or is a good attacker.

1. Both of those reasons are hot dogshit for excuses. Ludevic is the result of Wizards having their heads up their asses ala Ulrich where they hear the demand for something and then fuck it up hard while they misunderstand what people actually want. Inquistion by all means should have been in Oath, considering they literally had two Eldrazi followers in black, so their excuse of "Devoid!" is a bad excuse.

2.Wrong. If we're counting reused artwork, Ranger's Guile, Chief of the Foundry, Hamlet Captain are all reprints that used the original art, and that's all I could name off of the top of my head. They do reuse art in expansions.

3. Yeah, it'd be strong in limited but I'm not quite sure it's any more of a bomb then stuff we've had in recent sets. Again, it's a 1/1 that can nullify removal. Judging by its appearance in EMA, it's likely it would be at Rare or Mythic.

Mother of Runes being a 1 drop is kinda totally OP for Standard.

kirblar

If Mother of Runes sticks, she completely invalidates spot removal, combat damage, and makes things unblockable, for zero additional mana investment.

That's a problem. She turns off all the answers. And the blockers.

Hero

Mother of Runes, aside from them completely turning away from "protection" as a keyword, is completely overpowered. I don't even know why this is a debate.

ultron87

I don't understand your line of argument here. So you're arguing that this card that is played in Legacy that is quite good against removal, will be worse in formats where there is way more removal for it to blank? Sure, there is a higher chance she gets killed while summoning sick, but there's also a significantly higher portion of decks that she is amazing against when she sticks. It'd be even better in those formats then it is in Legacy.

Also, what does it matter if there's more removal running around? That doesn't change the fact that, at very best, you're probably using a 2 mana removal on a 1 drop and quite likely you're getting at least 2 for 1ed by said 1 drop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom