• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT9| Kaladesh - Cruisin' Down the Street in my 6/4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I assume the FTV Dryad Arbor issue being discussed is the fact that it has a text box identical to a Forest and honestly is easy to mistake for a foil Forest if you glance at it quickly?

bigkrev

I assume the FTV Dryad Arbor issue being discussed is the fact that it has a text box identical to a Forest and honestly is easy to mistake for a foil Forest if you glance at it quickly?

Yep, it can easily get "lost" in the pile of lands as any other foil Forest.

I'd just ban all FTV cards from tournament play because of how they warp differently than any other card. Now that the line is probably dead, no reason not to do it

Wulfric

Just from a physical-design-of-the-cards perspective, FTV Dryad Arbor is the worst mistake they've ever made by a big margin (followed some way back by not watermarking allies in BFZ.) They should honestly ban it completely from high-level play.

Did something happen on camera? I haven't been watching WMC at all today.

So I ended up not winning a single match but I did beat a liliana emblem with 4 colour Summonings on the back of 2 radiant flames paired with 2 Metallurgic Summonings.

Even in favourable matchups I ended up screwed multiple games in a row. Yet I'm playing 25 lands and 4 Anticipate.

kirblar

So I ended up not winning a single match but I did beat a liliana emblem with 4 colour Summonings on the back of 2 radiant flames paired with 2 Metallurgic Summonings.

Even in favourable matchups I ended up screwed multiple games in a row. Yet I'm playing 25 lands and 4 Anticipate.
You have received the Curse of Angry Grimace.

Bandini

That is quite annoying. I went to FNM last week and played Thing Control, 26 lands. One game I started with 3 lands and one Anticipate on the draw and drew another Anticipate on turn 3. I didn't find a 4th land until turn 7, the 13th card I saw that wasn't in my starting hand.

Wulfric

Yeah, a guy fetched for a dryad arbor with his grafdigger's cage out. Wasn't noticed until after the draw step, so he got to keep it.

Oh, that's problematic. Yeah, that wouldn't happen with the Future Sight border at all. I can see it happening accidentally. I've fetched with my own Aven Mindcensor in play, but then again I'm not playing Professional REL events either.

Yep, it can easily get "lost" in the pile of lands as any other foil Forest.

I'd just ban all FTV cards from tournament play because of how they warp differently than any other card. Now that the line is probably dead, no reason not to do it

Eh, I feel the same rules that apply to any other cards should apply to FtV cards that aren't inherently confusing: If any cards are warped, bent, marked, or otherwise have features that somehow make them stand out from the rest of deck then they're forbidden but otherwise as long as they're from an official release that wasn't explicitly intended to not for tournament use (e.g. silver and gold bordered cards) then they should be allowed, with exceptions for things like the Wald misprint.

That is quite annoying. I went to FNM last week and played Thing Control, 26 lands. One game I started with 3 lands and one Anticipate on the draw and drew another Anticipate on turn 3. I didn't find a 4th land until turn 7, the 13th card I saw that wasn't in my starting hand.
It's super annoying, your deck should work but you're just sitting there while your opponent gets to do his own thing.
Another game my opponent borded in Fevered Visions had 2 out on the board and I was still being screwed by only drawing them from the visions, if at all, and never my draw for the turn.

Oh, that's problematic. Yeah, that wouldn't happen with the Future Sight border at all. I can see it happening accidentally. I've fetched with my own Aven Mindcensor in play, but then again I'm not playing Professional REL events either.
Aven Mindcensor only effects your opponents. From Oracle text:

If an opponent would search a library, that player searches the top four cards of that library instead.

So you'd be good with it out.

Yes. It's been a problem for a while, at multiple events, and given how often you see FTV cards at top tables otherwise it's quite clear that the only reason for running this is to try to get cheap points off of opponent confusion. I understand what they were trying to do with this printing but what they actually did was dumb and bad.

I've been working on a wall deck that I wanted to build for years.

Here's my current decklist.

Any ideas on how to improve on the concept?

I'm also struggling with the mana base. I can't afford fetch lands or other expensive lands. This is just for casual play with friends, but I would buy pain/fast/shock/check lands for this deck.

Couple of things. You've got what's obviously an innately defensive concept, but you'll probably want more redundancy in win conditions. I see you've got 4, but I'd probably have 6-8 total in the deck. You have a few options on top of the ones you've got. If you want to do cards that animate, you've got Animate Wall, Wakestone Gargoyle, and Warmonger's Chariot. If you've got a more diverse set of options you can probably dump the Sterling Groves.

You also probably want to look at the defenders-matter themes in Rise of the Eldrazi, Return to Ravnica, and Conspiracy. That'll get you some extra win condition options (Doorkeeper, Flamewright, and Vent Sentinel) and some good utility, like Axebane Guardian which can help with your mana fixing, Overgrown Battlement which can ramp you, and Perimeter Captain which gains you life. A lot of these aren't technically walls but at least still keep in the theme of defender creatures.

FInally, I'd sneak a little utility (card draw, creature destruction especially) in.

I'm also struggling with the mana base. I can't afford fetch lands or other expensive lands. This is just for casual play with friends, but I would buy pain/fast/shock/check lands for this deck.

Rolling Stones does nothing on its own. All of your Walls have 0 power. You might as well play 4 Assault Formation instead.

I might consider splashing for a 1 or 2-of Phenax, God of Deception. You'll mill them out in like 2 turns and won't even have to sacrifice the ability to block.

Edit: Ancient Ziggurat might actually work pretty well in this deck for mana fixing. The only thing it doesn't work with is Assault Formation. I think it'll even work for Phenax, despite not being able to fulfill Devotion.

Also, for fixing, you can look at Axebane Guardian or Sylvan Caryatid. For casual play, Trilands are fine, check land are dece if you run enough basics. Krosan Verge does work, but slow.

Joiner Adept if you need all colours :)

When I've made Wall decks, base Green is usually the way I have done it.

bigkrev

If you want to run Rolling Stones/Assault Formation, you should probably be running 4x of each, as you need to play at least one of them before you can actually win. I'd also run 4x Doran, as your walls all have zero power. I'd drop the Wall of Hopes for Sylvan Caryatd for some fixing (this is a 3-4 color deck), and while Cavern of Souls is probably out of your price range, Thran Quarry will give you 5 colors of fixing, will let you cast your noncreature spells, and is very unlikely to die because of how survivable your creatures are.

Wulfric

For the three of you who use Magic Online, WotC posted a survey link on twitter. FYI, there's no room for short statements. Questions about things that actually need fixing, like pricing and event structures are not included. It's mostly asking about QoL stuff like bugs and the GUI.

Aven Mindcensor only effects your opponents. From Oracle text:

If an opponent would search a library, that player searches the top four cards of that library instead.

So you'd be good with it out.

Good to know, it doesn't help that my copy is in Japanese. >___<

I didn't know this card existed but it's beautiful.
promise%20of%20bunrei.jpg

bigkrev

Get FUCKED lantern!

I'm kind of surprised LSV missed the Glimmervoid-Hurkels Recall interaction multiple times on commentary.

Again thanks for your feedback. Here's my updated list

3 Steel Wall
3 Wall of Hope
3 Wall of Omens
3 Overgrown Battlement
3 Wall of Blossoms
3 Fog Bank
3 Wall of Frost
3 Hover Barrier
3 Wall of Denial
4 Assault Formation
4 Muddle the Mixture
2 Rolling Stones

I should have mentioned that I wanted this to be a wall deck only.

I know that this makes the deck weaker, but that's totally fine by me.

Rolling Stones wasn't excluded because Assault Formation can't target the strongest wall (Wall of Denial).

Overgrown Battlement is an awesome addition. I will need the green mana for Assault Formation.

Muddle the Mixture is something I found when I was looking for similar decks. It seems to be pretty good in this deck. I can counter removal or pump spells or search my library for Rolling Stones/Assault Formation or any other 2-mana wall. I thinks that's a great utility card.

All in all I'm pretty happy with this list. It was pretty hard to cut things and make room for the additions.

The mana base is something that I still need to figure out though. 1 or 2 Ancient Ziggurat and Thran Quarry will probably find a spot.

Wulfric

The mana base is something that I still need to figure out though. 1 or 2 Ancient Ziggurat and Thran Quarry will probably find a spot.

Have you looked the Theros temple cycle? Those are pretty cheap these days. Seaside Citadel from Alara would be good as well.

Santiako

Is there an SCG open every weekend? Because who in their right mind would schedule it with the WMC?

They're in different time zones, different continents, different formats and one is an open while the other is a small qualified only tournament, I don't see why you would schedule around it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom