• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT9| Kaladesh - Cruisin' Down the Street in my 6/4

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigkrev

SCG absolutly should do tournaments head to head with PTs. How many people who travel for SCG events are qualified for the Pro Tour?

Boy Eternal sure is way way way more like Magic than Hearthstone is.

Yeah, to the point where I stopped playing it because it really just felt like diet magic.

Elder Scrolls has the same issue

Firemind

It's not about player participation. It's about viewing exposure. Though I suppose SCG makes the most money selling cards to suckers.

Wulfric

SCG absolutly should do tournaments head to head with PTs. How many people who travel for SCG events are qualified for the Pro Tour?

Hmm, maybe a few dozen at most? I'm not sure that's a good idea. Didn't they scale back their events because of viewership issues?

SCG coverage is superior for sure, but a standard Pro Tour will always draw the bigger names and Twitch viewers. It doesn't seem to make sense for viewership of either event and would probably annoy WotC at the very least.

Heck, right now they can sell tons of standard cards each weekend off the back of the Pro Tour and their own Open series.

Accidental Honesty, Drive-to-Work Edition:

Maro: "There was this card Anarchy, which destroyed all white permanents. The problem is, red is supposed to be bad--" *cuts off to start a completely different sentence*

Yeah, to the point where I stopped playing it because it really just felt like diet magic.

I don't really mind something feeling like Diet Magic, but there is a certain benefit of only acting on your own turn in HS that's lost here.

OnPoint

SCG coverage is superior for sure, but a standard Pro Tour will always draw the bigger names and Twitch viewers. It doesn't seem to make sense for viewership of either event and would probably annoy WotC at the very least
I used to think SCG was better but the only team I actually like is Phillips and Sullivan. The rest of the SCG guys are varying degrees of awful. They're really falling behind Channel Fireball in watchability as well with the constant and repeated match replays, whereas CFB has timeshifted matches. It just feels fresher.

That and ignoring when their chosen players cheat on camera, I think I'm just done with SCG as a whole.

Ashodin

Elder Scrolls has the same issue

Elder Scrolls with the classes intrigues me.

Wulfric

Accidental Honesty, Drive-to-Work Edition:

Maro: "There was this card Anarchy, which destroyed all white permanents. The problem is, red is supposed to be bad--" *cuts off to start a completely different sentence*

Bad at what exactly? I'm not good at color pie stuff. :(

y2dvd

CFB needs to lose Huey from coverage. Too often, he doesn't contribute to the conversation and there would be minutes of awkward silence.

bigkrev

CFB needs to lose Huey from coverage. Too often, he doesn't contribute to the conversation and there would be minutes of awkward silence.

Yeah... I like the LSV-Marshall pair, I like the LSV-Gabby pair, I like the Gabby-Mashall pair even though they miss things sometimes, but I really don't like Huey on commentary with Marshall. He comes across as really mean and I legit feel scared for Mashall once in a while

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Yeah... I like the LSV-Marshall pair, I like the LSV-Gabby pair, I like the Gabby-Mashall pair even though they miss things sometimes, but I really don't like Huey on commentary with Marshall. He comes across as really mean and I legit feel scared for Mashall once in a while

What streams are you watching? Geez

An-Det

I played in a charity Legacy tournament today. Instead of a normal entry fee, the main event was 10 non-perishable items, and bringing in certain amounts would get you raffle tickets for raffles going throughout the day. It ended up at 57 people and over 2100 pounds of food (not sure the final tally, that's just the last FB post on it). It was really awesome to see it so successful, way moreso than the previous events. I ended up going 4-2 playing with bug delver, beating infect, bug delver (mirror), alluren, ub control and losing to miracles, burn, Super fun tournament, and played edh a while afterwards as things died down.

I played in a charity Legacy tournament today. Instead of a normal entry fee, the main event was 10 non-perishable items, and bringing in certain amounts would get you raffle tickets for raffles going throughout the day. It ended up at 57 people and over 2100 pounds of food (not sure the final tally, that's just the last FB post on it). It was really awesome to see it so successful, way moreso than the previous events. I ended up going 4-2 playing with bug delver, beating infect, bug delver (mirror), alluren, ub control and losing to miracles, burn, Super fun tournament, and played edh a while afterwards as things died down.

Wow that sounds like a super awesome charity event. I havent played tournament magic for a while but that would bring me out.

Ashodin

Free spells and fast mana is always a mistake.

Also aggressively costed value trains are a mistake

COLLECTED  COMPANY

G.ZZZ

Free spells are a good way to make game not all about value. There's tons of good/decent/unplayable free spells out there, it's just that it's harder to evaluate how good they actually are. As a rule of thumb, free spells are usually fine even if really powerful when they're reactive/answer cards (daze/force/surgical extraction/misdirection etc... ) but tend to be broken whenever they are proactive/card advantage cards (literally everything, from treasure cruise to become immense to show and tell to whatever). One of the few exception is Mental Misstep in legacy i guess just because of how low the actual opportunity cost of costing it for the alternate cost is, even if the card was mediocre in standard and i still stand it wouldn't be broken in modern because of how much more diverse the curve is there compared to legacy.

Also this MUs for Italy are ridicolously bad lmao.

They can be fine and there are a bunch of them but phyrexian mana even subverts colour restrictions. You have to have a substantially blue deck to play FoW, heck you need islands to play gush.

Also when will affinity players finally start putting selfless spirits into their sideboards. You know modern is in a bad spot when affinity is consistently too fair a deck.
I'd run tireless tracker over matter reshaper in Bant Eldrazi, they fulfill similar roles but Tracker is an engine by itself.

I'm considering adding a Noxious Gearhulk to my sideboard in 4c Summonings, outside of summary dismissal I have 0 answers to emrakul and while the BB might be tough to cast the lifegain would also be substantial in many matchups.

G.ZZZ

I love Gush, i always liked the description of it someone made at the source forum:

Gush 0
Instant
Counter target wasteland, draw 2 cards, add 1 mana of any color to your mana pool.

Balanced Kappa

bigkrev

RIP Legacy- there are apparently only 52 players at the SCG Classic this week, and it pays out to top 32.

The event is pays out something like 6,000 in store credit according to twitter (it's all prize wall tickets), has a $40 entry fee, so SCG is incinerating money running this event

OnPoint

RIP Legacy- there are apparently only 52 players at the SCG Classic this week, and it pays out to top 32.

The event is pays out something like 6,000 in store credit according to twitter (it's all prize wall tickets), has a $40 entry fee, so SCG is incinerating money running this event
I mean we already knew it was dead. This is just the bell ringing

There was a 2K like that at the CFB gamecenter here a while back. You could just show up and turn your entry fee into double that in store credit on the spot if everybody split.

kirblar

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";225104439]There was a 2K like that at the CFB gamecenter here a while back. You could just show up and turn your entry fee into double that in store credit on the spot if everybody split.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, these events are fantastic as a player (terrible for a TO)

I feel kind of weird about the state of Magic in general. I'm in a life situation where I have a lot more disposable income than when I started playing competitively, but I just don't have the drive to play and acquire cards that I used to. Legacy is totally dead, Modern still sucks, Standard hasn't been exciting since KTK, there seem to be fewer and fewer people playing locally and I sold all my cards a while ago. Even when I load up cockatrice I wind up closing it out half the time without making a game.

I think WotC driving down Standard prices and eternal formats dying off is having the side effect of having less people play locally because a big incentive to show up is the trading scene and when all the cards are cheap you can just buy them and then go to fewer tournaments.

kirblar

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";225105408]I feel kind of weird about the state of Magic in general. I'm in a life situation where I have a lot more disposable income than when I started playing competitively, but I just don't have the drive to play and acquire cards that I used to. Legacy is totally dead, Modern still sucks, Standard hasn't been exciting since KTK, there seem to be fewer and fewer people playing locally and I sold all my cards a while ago. Even when I load up cockatrice I wind up closing it out half the time without making a game.

I think WotC driving down Standard prices and eternal formats dying off is having the side effect of having less people play locally because a big incentive to show up is the trading scene and when all the cards are cheap you can just buy them and then go to fewer tournaments.[/QUOTE]
Or you're just getting older :p

Being sick/having a job I need to keep until being sick is resolved has kept me from playing competitively.

Wow

Or you're just getting older :p

Yeah that would make sense if I wasn't playing Street Fighter every day and playing Monster Hunter and Dragon Quest when I'm taking a break from painting.

Maybe it's because the whole draw to competitive MTG for me is the puzzle solving aspect and I've played so many games of it that the only part that feels like puzzle solving is deck construction during new formats.

MTG is a game with only mid level complexity when it comes to actually playing the game and I get less energized playing a 30 minute game of magic than I do a 3 minute game of SFV.

Ironically I've been having more fun watching people play poker than MTG ever since a video showed up randomly on my youtube feed.

Wulfric

Lmao, that's terrible. That means most players are leaving with at least a booster box. 3600 tix for 1st place is like ten boxes. xD

I guarantee you that they'll adjust the payout in the future for low turnout classics.

So thinking about sideboard cards going forward in null white Summonings based on matchup.

GB Delirium:
Noxious Gearhulk, Clip Wings, Appetite for the Unnatural, Summary Dismissal, Niblis of Frost (?)

UW Flash:
Tears of Valakut, Clip Wings, Dispel, Negate

RW Vehicles:
Weaver of Lightning, Appetite for the Unnatural

RG Pummeler:
Commencement of Festivities, Dispel, Jace's Scrutiny (?), Bonds of Mortality (??)

URx Control:
Fevered Visions, Negate, Dispel

Just gotta narrow it down to 15.

Dispel and Negate are locked for 5 Slots, Summary Dismissal for 6 makes 9 left. 2 Tears of Valakut and a Clip wings for 6 left. Kinda down on Fevered Visions probably gonna cut them, I'm inclined to go with Jace's Scrutiny over Commencement since it can be cycled and allows for trading it sucks against Kalonian hydra OTOH. 1 of each Gearhulk, Scrutiny and Appetite would leave me 3 to fill with either Weaver Niblis or Visions.

G.ZZZ

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";225105990]Yeah that would make sense if I wasn't playing Street Fighter every day and playing Monster Hunter and Dragon Quest when I'm taking a break from painting.

Maybe it's because the whole draw to competitive MTG for me is the puzzle solving aspect and I've played so many games of it that the only part that feels like puzzle solving is deck construction during new formats.

MTG is a game with only mid level complexity when it comes to actually playing the game and I get less energized playing a 30 minute game of magic than I do a 3 minute game of SFV.

Ironically I've been having more fun watching people play poker than MTG ever since a video showed up randomly on my youtube feed.[/QUOTE]

Poker is one of the best thing to watch imho. Too bad there isn't too much actual competitive poker on twitch and only grind streamers.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";225105408]
I think WotC driving down Standard prices and eternal formats dying off is having the side effect of having less people play locally because a big incentive to show up is the trading scene and when all the cards are cheap you can just buy them and then go to fewer tournaments.[/QUOTE]

I have heard the exact opposite from people about the former, but the latter is definitely having an effect. The whole reason eternal formats have ever existed is to enable longer-term players to enjoy the game: they already have a bunch of cards that qualify, don't need to keep up with as many metagame shifts, and can focus on learning a deck in-depth. The VSL is like the number one example of why this works -- so many exciting, strategic, unpredictable games are possible when you have that kind of card pool and people can actually get the cards they need. But Modern isn't a true Eternal format for a variety of reasons and Vintage/Legacy are getting strangled by the RL.

Wulfric

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";225105408]I think WotC driving down Standard prices and eternal formats dying off is having the side effect of having less people play locally because a big incentive to show up is the trading scene and when all the cards are cheap you can just buy them and then go to fewer tournaments.[/QUOTE]

Trading has gone the way of the dodo, unfortunately. Even the middle school kids are savvy enough to pull their iPhone out and check trade values. Back in Theros block it was easy to trade standard staples for shocks, because at least the price of standard cards were still high. Try doing that with Kaladesh and you'll be laughed out of the store.

That being said, this doesn't bode well for standard players. Masterpieces are nice and all, but they have decimated the value of your average Kaladesh rare. And what happens when those cards rotate? It's not like you can show up to modern FNM with your R/W Vehicles without being slaughtered. The stepping stone (standard chase cards) a lot of new modern players used to transition into modern is gone now.

y2dvd

Yikes. Why am I still trying to obtain 2 more Tropical Islands to complete my legacy deck lol?

Wulfric

Yikes. Why am I still trying to obtain 2 more Tropical Islands to complete my legacy deck lol?

I just asked myself that same question. I get to play Legacy once a month, at best. I think I just like the idea of of having my trade binder filled with Reserve List cards over mid-range modern stuff that's liable to be reprinted in a year.

For fun, this is the list of standard cards valued at least $10 TCG market price:

Chandra, Torch of Defiance ($17)
Torrential Gearhulk ($12)
Liliana, the Last Hope ($36)
Grim Flayer ($19)
Emrakul, the Promised End ($17)
Tamiyo, Field Researcher ($10)
Archangel Avacyn ($18)
Nahiri, the Harbinger ($15)
Kalitas, Traitor of Ghet ($19)
Gideon, Ally of Zendikar ($25)

Lmao, Frontier is gonna be a real format in two years if this keeps up. The only long term value here is Lili/Grim Flayer/Kalitas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom