• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT9| Kaladesh - Cruisin' Down the Street in my 6/4

Status
Not open for further replies.
oh look another fnm promo that sees zero play and is even outclassed in casual by a cheap card
nZF5JfGo0K.png

bigkrev

Maybe it's the fact that FNM promos are mostly Garbage nowadays that's leading to bad attendance. Lets look at the last few years

2013:
Searing Spear
Reliquary Tower
Farseek
Call of the Conclave
Judge's Familiar
Izzet Charm
Rakdos Cackler
Dimir Charm
Experiemt One
Chor-Clan Rampager
Grisly Salvage
Sin Collector

The only cards on that list that didn't see real standard play were Call of the Conclave (and that was a card powerful enough to see play, it just never found a deck), Reliquary Tower (EDH staple), and Dimir Charm.

2014:
Warleader's Helix
Elvish Mystic
Banisher Priest
Encroaching Wastes
Tormented Hero
Dissolve
Magma Spray
Bile Blight
Banishing Light
Fanatic of Xenagos
Brain Maggot
Stoke the Flames

Encroaching Wastes was a complete whiff, Tormented Hero wasn't a good enough 2/1 for 1 to see real play, and Fanatic of Xenagos was a powerful card I don't recall ever seeing play, but we are still doing OK here

Frenzied Goblin
Disdainful Stroke
Hordeling Outburst
Suspension Field
Abzan Beastmaster
Frost Walker
Path to Exile
Serum Visions
Orator of Ojutai
Ultimate Price
Roast
Anticipate

While Goblin, Orator, Frost Walker and Beastmaster all jump off the page, they are counteracted by Modern Staples Path and Visions. Not a good year, but not a disaster

Nissa's Pilgramage
Clash of Wills
Smash to Smithereens
Blighted Fen
Goblin Warcheif
Sylvan Scrying
Spatial Contortion
Crumbling Vestige
Flaying Tendrils
Rise from the Tides
Fiery Temper
Call of the Bloodline

Smash is a Modern playable, Goblin Warcheif is a cool casual card, and Sylvan Scrying was a $5 card before it got reprinted in BFZ, and Fiery Temper is a good card. Otherwise... 8 constructed unplayables that don't even have casual appeal.

EDIT: and just for giggles and cries, here was 2012:

Glistener Elf
Despise
Tectonic Edge
Dismember
Ancient Grudge
Acidic Slime
Forbidden Alchemy
Avacyn's Pilgrim
Lingering Souls
Evolving Wilds
Pillar of Flame
Gitaxian Probe

MoxManiac

I don't understand what Wizards is trying to accomplish with these FNM foil choices. If it's to promote FNM attendence, you don't choose jank.

They are usually uncommon right? Why not Aether Hub? Harnessed Lightning? Reflector Mage? Hell, even Longtusk Cub? You know, cards people card about. I'm sure I've missed other good choices.

alternade

Why don't they just wait further into the season to see whats the hot card people will show up for and until then do Modern/Commander/ and even Legacy staples promos?

Hell Id even throw a deck together if I knew there was a chance for something like promo Mind Over Matter or Toxic Deluge. It really doesn't seem that hard to read the meta.

I don't understand what Wizards is trying to accomplish with these FNM foil choices. If it's to promote FNM attendence, you don't choose jank.

They are usually uncommon right? Why not Aether Hub? Harnessed Lightning? Reflector Mage? Hell, even Longtusk Cub? You know, cards people card about. I'm sure I've missed other good choices.

If we want to take the time it takes into account, there's radiant flames, vessel of nascency, grapple with the past, dead weight,...

I really want a nice version of anticipate the previous is hideous.

Magic Story - In the Dead of Night
* Yahenni, from "Born of Aether", is dying. I went to that story to check to see when they said they were going to die, and discovered the odd timeline issue that the end of the Inventor's Fair, the time of their death, was stated to be a month away. Note that in that story, Chandra and the others find out that Pia is being held at Dhund Prison, and Pia is rescued at the end of the Inventors' Fair. So apparently Chandra and the others just wandered around for a month after learning what prison to go to. Or perhaps the way to resolve this contradiction is that the Fair ended early, despite comments that Pia's fight was scheduled for the last day.
* Anyway, Yahenni is wandering the empty streets, cleared due to a curfew, looking for someone to give them one last party. A gremlin follows them around and eats the pieces that fall off.
* Yahenni comes across the caterer they hired for the now-canceled Penultimate Party, who is now a renegade doing some tagging. They're confronted by Consulate guards.
* The narration confirms that Yahenni last saw Chandra a few weeks ago.
* Yahenni drains the life of the enforcer, and through their emphatic powers, feels everything the enforcer does as he died. But they realize they've been healed, and have a full 12 more days to live.
* They think they can live with killing people if they join the right side. Yahenni goes to Gonti for information.
* Gonti has a mysterious metal device attached to their chest.
* Due to their emphatic powers, conversations between aetherborn tend to be quick and to the point. Yahenni notes that Gonti has underlying desperation and dread, and figures that they are close to dying too; that's probably what the device is for.
* Gonti is able to compare Yahenni's appearance to when they saw them last, and thus realizes that Yahenni drained someone's life. Gonti can't do that. They ask about it, and Yahenni's emotions show a mix of exhilaration and deep suffering.
* Gonti agrees to tell them where the renegades are, as long as Yahenni is willing to keep killing. Gonti plans on alerting the Consulate to their location to spur the renegades into action, and Yahenni will give them a heads-up.
* Yahenni goes to the Statuary Garden, which has statues of famous inventors. They go into one, where Chandra and the others are. Yahenni offers to have them stay at their penthouse, now that the base location has been given up.
* Enforcers are already coming, and Yahenni is forced to act, draining the life of another soldier. They now have 22 days to live.
* The others get to safety. Chandra starts walking in a random direction, and they have to call her back. They split up to inform the other renegades, leaving Nissa alone with Yahenni. She notices that Yahenni is distraught. They talk. Yahenni is worried about having to kill again, but they think they can live with it if it's helping the renegaes.

New art:
c4rd4r7_PX4LQQjYzg.jpg
c4rd4r7_cVNXxxMEvQ.jpg

c4rd4r7_MuiJbR1hNp.jpg

c4rd4r7_udTpUxMExC.jpg

c4rd4r7_azZ13YaVfK.jpg

Note that I'm starting a new job next week, so at least for the short term, I won't be able to do these story summaries in the morning anymore.

Yeef

Note that I'm starting a new job next week, so at least for the short term, I won't be able to do these story summaries in the morning anymore.
It's very selfish of you to take a job that keeps you from doing Magic story summaries. You should have consulted us first!

Congrats on the new job!

El Topo

Not sure if it's bonkers. It's not like Cascade where you got a new spell for free. Possibly highly problematic, but I'm sure they playtested an obviously dangerous effect like that sufficiently.

OnPoint

Not sure if it's bonkers. It's not like Cascade where you got a new spell for free. Possibly highly problematic, but I'm sure they playtested an obviously dangerous effect like that sufficiently.

They have repeatedly said, and we have repeatedly, er, repeated in here, they do NOT playtest for older formats.

If it ends up a problem, they'll re-ban Visions.

Can someone clarify the creature clause of that -3-3 card again? You get to choose how the stack sits so the -3-3 wouldn't hit the cast card if it was a creature? Is that why it works?

kirblar

Can someone clarify the creature clause of that -3-3 card again? You get to choose how the stack sits so the -3-3 wouldn't hit the cast card if it was a creature? Is that why it works?
The -3-3 happens.

Then you get to cast a card. It goes in the opposite order as cascade.

ultron87

Hmm, you can also cast Fused Beck/Call off it. That's pretty good. Of course then you have Beck/Call in your deck that also has black spells. Also, Bust.

There isn't a choice. With Yahenni's Expertise the card you cast for free will always resolve after Expertise is done with everything.

The -3-3 happens.

Then you get to cast a card. It goes in the opposite order as cascade.

Hmm, you can also cast Fused Beck/Call off it. That's pretty good. Of course then you have Beck/Call in your deck that also has black spells. Also, Bust.

There isn't a choice. With Yahenni's Expertise the card you cast for free will always resolve after Expertise is done with everything.

Thanks guys!

bigkrev

They ususally wait 2 sets before making cards promos. That's why right now we are getting SOI cards, we get EDM cards when Aether Revolt comes out in January, ect

El Topo

They have repeatedly said, and we have repeatedly, er, repeated in here, they do NOT playtest for older formats.

I'm sure they do not playtest for older formats, but surely they *do* take into account the lessons of the past. My comment was also of general nature and not specifically aimed at Visions or Modern.

OnPoint

I'm sure they do not playtest for older formats, but surely they *do* take into account the lessons of the past. My comment was also of general nature and not specifically aimed at Visions or Modern.

This is them taking the lesson of Cascade as a mechanic into consideration as a lesson from the past, I think.

I'm going to guess that this mechanic won't cost less than 3 mana, or maybe even 4. It will be spread across all five colors and they will all require two of whichever color. This would prevent five-color "freespells.dec" from being a thing

Supast4r

My prediction is that the -3/3 card will see no play in modern and will be all hype. If it exiled it would see play but since it doesn't I HIGHLY doubt that it will see play at 4 mana.

Card Boy

Banned
Are the Promo cards in the Eldrich Moon Intro deck standard legal? I want to go to Standard Showdown but CBF building a deck.

dzelly

Played my Tana and Ravos partner deck for the first time (in my EDH group) last night. It was super powerful and I am happy.

We have a fantasy football style scoring system with quarterly winners and what not. I missed last week, which was the second week of the quarter and I jumped out in front in one night. Solid.

How about we make some predictions about Aether Revolt's mechanics?

We already know that there's a "converted mana cost of 3 (or less)" theme, but given the lack of an ability word, it's likely a minor theme. It's possible that there's a threshold ability like, "If you control artifacts with total converted mana cost of 3 or greater," which could explain why the variations we see don't use an ability word. The fact that this wouldn't work well with fabricate is a bit odd, though.

My thoughts are that energy, fabricate, and vehicles will all continue, and we'll see more unusual versions of them. With the tagline of the set being "Take Back the Power", I'm guessing some cards will allow you to take energy from another player. Perhaps, "Target player loses all counters of one type. You get that many counters of that type." Or "Target player loses EEE. You get E equal to the amount lost this way."

This set also seems like the perfect place to bring back overload, expanding it into black and green, perhaps even white.

Daily Update on Yahenni card
Yahenni Card Confirmed for Aether Revolt by MaRo

There's some concern in the Reddit thread about this that people will be let down by Yahenni's card. I won't speak to the power level, because these days unless it's Panharmonicon or Cloudblazer, I don't know what I'm talking about. But I will say the card is incredibly flavorful. What else would you expect from a card with the type line "Aetherborn Vampire." And that flavor text...

Oops, I've said too much...
The addition of "vampire" to the type line is unexpected.

Not sure if we knew this, but Battle for Zendikar is the best selling set of all time. This reminds me of how Mega Man Battle Network 4 was the best selling MMBN game.
nickel97 asked: Why does Zendikar (Which you've now considered a semi-failure via Battle for Zendikar) get to be in the top 2 for returnability, when other planes that have had failures (beloved-by-me-alone Ulgothra) get put down at the bottom?

It’s not about how I feel about it. It’s about how all of you feel about it. Battle for Zendikar is currently the best selling set of all time. Homelands - not so much. : )

OnPoint

Too much text idea

Yahenni, Aetherborn Vampire 1BB

Deathtouch, First Strike
When Yahenni enters play, put two +1/+1 counters on it.
During your upkeep, remove one counter from Yahenni.
Whenever a creature dealt damage by Yahenni dies, put X +1/+1 counters on it, where X is that creatures power.
0/0​

Ashodin

Aha, the Aetherborn are turning into Kaladesh's version of vampires? Interesting...

It’s not about how I feel about it. It’s about how all of you feel about it. Battle for Zendikar is currently the best selling set of all time. Homelands - not so much. : )

What a disingenuous remark. Just because people dumped a ton of money on the set doesn't mean they liked it - it had some serious chase value: Gideon, Zendikar Full Arts, Expeditions... it was a chase set.

Dumping a bunch a money =/= want to return to the set story-wise.

Short mechanical/set predictions:

All 3 mechanics will continue, but there's going to be some twist to them. Something like a vehicle that has Fabricate when it ETbs or something, or a self-driving vehicle with an energy crew cost.

There's going to be some card that is going to be stupidly broken leading to a ban for it in Standard and Modern at the least( It's a Wizards tradition at this point that they push something and miss how good it is in every Artifact block).

Despite the Tagline, I think there's not going to be any number of "stealing" energy cards. If anything, I could see a card that takes all energy and gives it evenly to all players being a thing

jph139

Yahenni is a vampire because they can drain people's energy to live longer - it's something that's super rare among Aetherborn, evidently, so I doubt we'll be seeing any others.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Based on the quote above about not talking about power but saying its flavorful, I think it fits

Something that gets progressively weaker can probably start out stronger is what I'm saying. It attacks as a 1/1 and then dies because nobody would ever block it lol

Ashodin

No they said in the story it exists but it's rare.

They did. They said it's rare only because they know it to be rare right now. But later...

5NkbvG4.png

Regarding your design OnPoint, nothing about Aetherborn's short lifecycle has been shown in their card designs. I'm assuming design is assuming that the length of time an Aetherborn exists as your creature is longer than their lifespan, so none of them were given counters that go away.

I'm assuming Yahenni will follow this pattern, and they will have just a +1/+1 counter dealy instead of losing them.

OnPoint

Something that gets progressively weaker can probably start out stronger is what I'm saying. It attacks as a 1/1 and then dies because nobody would ever block it lol
Well I agree. But if I make powerful cards in here everyone always claims they're OP so I dialed it down lol

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I mean, you could just make it Sengir Vampire for 3 that slowly kills itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom