• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT9| Kaladesh - Cruisin' Down the Street in my 6/4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wulfric

Not sure if we knew this, but Battle for Zendikar is the best selling set of all time. This reminds me of how Mega Man Battle Network 4 was the best selling MMBN game.

Any word on Kaladesh? I wouldn't be surprised if sales flat lined this year. It's a cool set, but people don't seem to be buying it in droves like BFZ.

Btw, Wizards really wants you to play standard. The desperation in this article is palpable.

You're a returning player checking back into Magic, and you want to see what a lot of the newer sets are about. What's the thing to do? You want to practice to go play on the Pro Tour someday, understanding Magic strategy and deck building at the highest level. What's the format to play? No matter which of these is your situation, my answer for which Constructed format to play is always the same: Standard!

Standard is one of Magic's greatest formats. Whether you just want to play at your local store or you want to play Magic on the biggest stage possible, Standard is a format you're going to want to know well. And while it's true that the face of Standard changes constantly, a lot of the best practices and things to watch out for tend to remain the same.

Ashodin

Yeah it's funny how they just can't figure out how to get butts in seats for Standard.

Like you know, palpable rewards or something...

Perhaps a promotional card that people seek during a Friday, perhaps? At night?

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
You know who makes Vampires? Eldrazi

tim-and-eric-mind-blown.gif

Get out.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
The EV on Oath would probably be pretty good if overprinting and the expeditions hadnt crushed it.

kirblar

Masterpieces are going to crush the EV on every set from now on.
Yeah, this is either going to be good or bad, and I'm sort of leaning towards bad. It's hard to tell how much is that and how much is Standard being awful though.

spoiler: bans probably likely if morale does not improve.

Hero

Yeah, this is either going to be good or bad, and I'm sort of leaning towards bad. It's hard to tell how much is that and how much is Standard being awful though.

Is B/G delirium that bad?

Ashodin

It's gonna be bad. Their FFL really has their heads up their ass concerning viability of archetypes, and their slow-to-correct reactions to the meta make standard hell until a new set comes out.

So you create this "maybe it'll get better" fallacy with each new set that just never comes to pass.

@Hero: BG Delirium has NO counters to the Graveyard. They can basically do what they want and get away with it.

kirblar

Is B/G delirium that bad?
There's effectively only two decks in the metagame, B/G and U/W Flash.

W/ the 18 month rotation, they changed to an approach of just pushing the crap out of individual cards, and it was just completely stupid.

Any word on Kaladesh? I wouldn't be surprised if sales flat lined this year. It's a cool set, but people don't seem to be buying it in droves like BFZ.

Btw, Wizards really wants you to play standard. The desperation in this article is palpable.

I love how the middle question is basically anything but Standard since BFZ. It's not been a question of actual deckbuilding and theory except at the actual pro tour, because there's no way to beat BG Delirium and UW Flash beyond "Get lucky". Modern, even with it being heavily linear, still has diversity in terms of a best deck. Every other month a new deck pops up as "The best" (Jeskai Harbinger, Dredge, Bant Eldrazi, Infect).

Also, of course Wizards wants people to play standard, but no one is biting. People know that the best decks are basically cemented, but from what I've seen none of their desperation attempts have actually helped standard attendance. Not the Standard Showdown, not the emergency rotation change that is likely fucking over Amonkhet/Hour of Devastation, not their removal of the Precons for Planeswalker decks that have been somehow worse.

Honestly, between having to play Standard and shelling out $400 for a deck when I can play virtually the same experience(Midrange Creature fights) for free in Hearthstone turned me away, and that's with Team 5 not understanding balance.

W/ the 18 month rotation, they changed to an approach of just pushing the crap out of individual cards, and it was just completely stupid.
I wouldn't say it's a bad thing to push individual cards(I actually liked how they pushed Emrakul to the point where PT EMN had decks running Pilgrim's Eye) but pushing Avacyn/Queller/Flayer as hard as they did is a mistake. When Bant CoCo was running Avacyn that should have been a red flag.

Hero

It's gonna be bad. Their FFL really has their heads up their ass concerning viability of archetypes, and their slow-to-correct reactions to the meta make standard hell until a new set comes out.

So you create this "maybe it'll get better" fallacy with each new set that just never comes to pass.

@Hero: BG Delirium has NO counters to the Graveyard. They can basically do what they want and get away with it.

That's unfortunate to hear.

Wulfric

Also, of course Wizards wants people to play standard, but no one is biting. People know that the best decks are basically cemented, but from what I've seen none of their desperation attempts have actually helped standard attendance. Not the Standard Showdown, not the emergency rotation change that is likely fucking over Amonkhet/Hour of Devastation, not their removal of the Precons for Planeswalker decks that have been somehow worse.

This is it essentially. Unless Aether Revolt introduces a new archetype in standard to beat U/W and B/G or has good masterpieces, I don't see standard attendance budging an inch.

At this point, prerelease and draft is the only interaction I ever have with a new set. And quite frankly, I'm fine with that. It's much cheaper this way.

I was pumped for a GP in Denver (where I live). Even have 2 friends coming out for it.

But it being standard and me not playing UW or GB feels bad.

Standard has a lot of cool T1.5/T2 decks that just need an extra push.

Aether Revolt could do it, but I doubt it.

Ashodin

This is it essentially. Unless Aether Revolt introduces a new archetype in standard to beat U/W and B/G or has good masterpieces, I don't see standard attendance budging an inch.

At this point, prerelease and draft is the only interaction I ever have with a new set. And quite frankly, I'm fine with that. It's much cheaper this way.

Thankfully prereleases still feel like christmas

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.

lol you can play strong decks like RG Energy Beatdown and Aetherworks Marvel...if they werent completely run out of the format by BG Delirium and UW Flash!

Btw, Wizards,

The desperation in this article is palpable.

Wizards said:
Standard is one of Magic's greatest formats.

Love this line. How many formats are there? 3 competitive? 1 insaneo? 1 casual? Rest are free form or hyper fringe.

It has to be "one of the greatest", by default :)

RE: Aether Revolt. I think there's no question that it will bring some new archetype or push another one up into the top tier. Kaladesh brought some wacky shit and I would bet Aether Revolt does as well. Not sure if it will solve the issues, in terms of graveyard silliness going unchecked, though.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Love this line. How many formats are there? 3 competitive? 1 insaneo? 1 casual? Rest are free form or hyper fringe.

It has to be "one of the greatest", by default :)

RE: Aether Revolt. I think there's no question that it will bring some new archetype or push another one up into the top tier. Kaladesh brought some wacky shit and I would bet Aether Revolt does as well. Not sure if it will solve the issues, in terms of graveyard silliness going unchecked, though.

Well you got

Standard
Limited
Modern
Legacy
Vintage
Pauper
EDH

Well you got

Standard
Limited
Modern
Legacy
Vintage
Pauper
EDH

So 3 Competitive(Standard, Modern, and Limited), two casuals(EDH and Pauper), and two formats that are overwhelming played digitally and are basically on life support in Paper.

Doesn't really refute the point that Standard is by default "one of the best" in that context.

red13th

I don't know if they realise that Standard sets being a collection of worse reprints from older sets plus a few cards they want to see play in Standard" (how they call the pushed cards) isn't really working.

Ashodin

Akiri and Silas partner deck complete.

Just need to sleeve and we're good to go!

Then I'm working on Saskia, Samurai Daimyo. She's all the colors of the samurai! Including Isao, Enlightened Bushi!

Akiri and Silas partner deck complete.

Just need to sleeve and we're good to go!

Then I'm working on Saskia, Samurai Daimyo. She's all the colors of the samurai! Including Isao, Enlightened Bushi!
Mind sharing your list. I'm looking for copypastainspiration. I already have most of the pieces, gonna buy me a promo kaldra tron set though.

Samurai should have been warriors or soldiers. Giving them their own type would have been like giving kami kami as type instead of spirit.

Ashodin

Mind sharing your list. I'm looking for copypastainspiration. I already have most of the pieces, gonna buy me a promo kaldra tron set though.

Samurai should have been warriors or soldiers. Giving them their own type would have been like giving kami "kami" as type instead of spirit.
When I wake up later sure!

This part of today's Latest Developments stood out to me
Imagine this card:

R
Light-Ting Bolt
Sorcery
CARDNAME deals 2 damage to target player.
Beatings (If you attacked with two creatures this turn, when you cast CARDNAME from your hand, put a copy on the stack. You may choose new targets.)

So, the gag here is that it's not Lightning Bolt, but Light-Ting Bolt. Like Beatings. Get it? Except, everyone knows what Lightning Bolt is. This card, on the surface, looks very similar to Lightning Bolt—one mana cost, deals damage. The name is cute, but it's going to trip a lot of people up as they build Sealed/Draft decks or cast it. It's something fun to type in a file, but it risks messing up a playtest.

Compared to other obviously fake mechanics used as examples by previous Wizards articles, beatings doesn't seem too outside the realm of possibilities, the card itself seems fairly costed, and it works well with fabricate. I think it's fairly boring, and too similar to raid, but it's possible that they snuck in a mechanic preview for Aether Revolt. There isn't a disclaimer that it's a fake mechanic. I don't particularly think it's real, but I'm noting it in case it is.

Also, this Standard Showdown article features selected user comments, and given that they were heavily curated, it's amusing that one comment tells people not to worry about BG Delirium and WU Flash taking over tournaments, and that you can be successful with other decks at casual events like this.

The Daily Update also has some, "No guys, Standard is fine!" in it.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I don't get the Showdown BS.

It's functionally identical to packs.

Bandini

You want me to go to Standard, Wizards? Do something actually cool like making prizes Legacy and Modern staples, nobody wants crappy new foil uncommons.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
You want me to go to Standard, Wizards? Do something actually cool like making prizes Legacy and Modern staples, nobody wants crappy new foil uncommons.

I wonder if WotC's noticed that there's a correlation between lagging Standard attendance, the introduction of the Gatewatch/revised storytelling, and their new stance on (not) reprinting Modern-playable cards in Standard sets.

The main LGS in my town just announced that they'll no longer be firing Standard FNMs for the foreseeable future.

Nah, I'd gladly take foils of some uncommons, like Anticipate when I played Standard, or even Blessed Alliance from EMN.

It's the rest of the shit that no one rightfully wants. No one wants a foil moorland Guest or something.

I wonder if WotC's noticed that there's a correlation between lagging Standard attendance, the introduction of the Gatewatch/revised storytelling, and their new stance on (not) reprinting Modern-playable cards in Standard sets.

The main LGS in my town just announced that they'll no longer be firing Standard FNMs for the foreseeable future.
Damn, YJ's stopped firing Standard FNM? I knew they were adding modern but that's not a good sign.

Skyhaven's also had decreased attendance from a year ago. Standard fired with 8 people a few weeks ago vs 16+ in December of last year.

OnPoint

Nah, I'd gladly take foils of some uncommons, like Anticipate when I played Standard, or even Blessed Alliance from EMN.

It's the rest of the shit that no one rightfully wants. No one wants a foil moorland Guest or something.

Aether Hub is a good one. Should be in the program.

kirblar

I strongly suspect they overshot dramatically in how much they devalued Standard singles prices. Who wants to play a tournament for 4 boosters when you can just buy the cards you need for $20 online?

edit: uuhhhh...this might be bad:

@TStrong24 11m11 minutes ago

@Kirblar024 6 stores closed in CT over the last 4 months... Sooooooo

Wulfric

Also, this Standard Showdown article features selected user comments, and given that they were heavily curated, it's amusing that one comment tells people not to worry about BG Delirium and WU Flash taking over tournaments, and that you can be successful with other decks at casual events like this.

Lmao, I think this chap's being held at gunpoint:
"I finished with a 2-1 record, losing to the very fast Black-Red Madness deck. This promotion is really fun, and I can't wait to play again next week!" *pleaseletmegoihavekids*

Too bad the Grand Prix is in town next weekend. I guess all the LGSs will just have to crack those boosters all by themselves. That should add a few more copies of Lost Legacy to the local economy. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Ashodin

Tournaments need rewards. Boosters don't cut it. Showdown packs are hilarious and not worth anything.

Here's your deck Familien

Akiri and Silas whip out the weapons said:
1 Arcane Sanctum
1 Ash Barrens
1 Buried Ruin
1 Command Tower
1 Crumbling Necropolis
1 Darksteel Citadel
1 Evolving Wilds
1 Exotic Orchard
1 Flooded Strand
1 Great Furnace
1 Hallowed Fountain
1 Inventors' Fair
4 Island
4 Mountain
1 Mystic Monastery
1 Nomad Outpost
4 Plains
1 Prairie Stream
1 Seat of the Synod
1 Sunken Hollow
3 Swamp
1 Temple of the False God
1 Terramorphic Expanse
1 Vault of Whispers
1 Watery Grave
1 Akiri, Line-Slinger
1 Anguished Unmaking
1 Baleful Strix
1 Beacon of Unrest
1 Brass Squire
1 Breya, Etherium Shaper
1 Chaos Warp
1 Chief Engineer
1 Commander's Sphere
1 Counterspell
1 Cranial Plating
1 Daretti, Scrap Savant
1 Darksteel Forge
1 Disciple of the Vault
1 Etherium Sculptor
1 Fabricate
1 Filigree Angel
1 Foundry Inspector
1 Grand Abolisher
1 Grip of Phyresis
1 Hanna, Ship's Navigator
1 Hellkite Tyrant
1 Helm of Kaldra
1 Jor Kadeen, the Prevailer
1 Lightning Greaves
1 Loxodon Warhammer
1 Master of Etherium
1 Mycosynth Wellspring
1 Myr Battlesphere
1 Myr Retriever
1 Nahiri, the Lithomancer
1 Open the Vaults
1 Padeem, Consul of Innovation
1 Panharmonicon
1 Puresteel Paladin
1 Scourglass
1 Sharuum the Hegemon
1 Shield of Kaldra
1 Shimmer Myr
1 Silas Renn, Seeker Adept
1 Skullclamp
1 Slobad, Goblin Tinkerer
1 Sol Ring
1 Solemn Simulacrum
1 Soul of New Phyrexia
1 Sphinx Summoner
1 Steelshaper's Gift
1 Stoneforge Mystic
1 Stonehewer Giant
1 Swiftfoot Boots
1 Sword of Kaldra
1 Sword of the Animist
1 Sword of the Meek
1 Thirst for Knowledge
1 Thopter Foundry
1 Thoughtcast
1 Thran Dynamo
1 Time Sieve
1 Trash for Treasure
1 Trinket Mage
1 Umezawa's Jitte
1 Utter End
1 Vedalken Engineer
1 Whispersilk Cloak

Working on Samurai Saskia now!

An-Det

I strongly suspect they overshot dramatically in how much they devalued Standard singles prices. Who wants to play a tournament for 4 boosters when you can just buy the cards you need for $20 online?

edit: uuhhhh...this might be bad:

Yeah, the one I posted about a month or so back (Ice Imports) is just the latest. I was shocked at how many it was, including ones like Ice and the store right on the UConn campus. It's been real bad here in the area for stores lately.

Tournaments need rewards. Boosters don't cut it. Showdown packs are hilarious and not worth anything.

Here's your deck Familien

Working on Samurai Saskia now!

Thanks, is open the vault good? The one time it was played against me it made another player win on the spot. Np Nihil Spellbomb / Relic of Progenitus / Tormod's Crypt?

kirblar

Yeah, the one I posted about a month or so back (Ice Imports) is just the latest. I was shocked at how many it was, including ones like Ice and the store right on the UConn campus. It's been real bad here in the area for stores lately.
It's sounding like fixing a "bug" may have inadvertently killed a major feature. And badly.

ultron87

Most stores here do Store Credit as the prizes. So Standard prices don't super matter. Is that not the usual thing elsewhere?

Wulfric

Whoa, what's going on out there? That seems so bizarre for one area. We have a single LGS within a 15 minute drive of campus, and it does reasonably well. You have more options in the suburbs (where the retail space is cheaper I guess).

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The problem is how stupidly pushed certain cards are now.

It leads to every deck having them and they aren't fun to begin with. Everyone whined about Rhino but you don't instantly lose to Rhino. You just take a drain three and Hero's Downfall it.

While we're at it reprint fucking Hero's Downfall.

kirblar

The problem is how stupidly pushed certain cards are now.

It leads to every deck having them and they aren't fun to begin with. Everyone whined about Rhino but you don't instantly lose to Rhino. You just take a drain three and Hero's Downfall it.

While we're at it reprint fucking Hero's Downfall.
This on top of the other problem is VERY BAD. Both are issues.

They kept pushing single cards because of the fast rotation- but it turns out 12 months with them is STILL WAY TOO DAMN LONG. Haymaker battles suck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom