• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT9| Kaladesh - Cruisin' Down the Street in my 6/4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who would you want to make an artefact that even further encroaches on enchantment design space? I mean, between coloured artefacts and equipment artefacts have already massively occupied the areas where enchantments used to sit, and adding in equipment that can be used on your opponent would basically remove one of the last unique areas they have.

I still don't get why they didn't implement the 'no global effect' artefacts rule they talked about during mirroring design space. Yes, it would contradict how artefacts used to be designed previously, but then every game design change does that!

artifacts always broke colour pie just worse or more expensive

bigkrev

March FNM Promo- hey, they finally got one right!

cnicBPBKus.png

Is this really going to be the outcome of the Judge lawsuit?

When Magic was small and not owned by Hasbro, the program made a lot of sense. It doesn't make as much sense anymore.

bigkrev

Wizards with that stellar Chandra characterization as always.

This is in the top 10 results on Aliexpress if you search for "Magic The Gathering", outside of sleeves and counterfeit cards

HHnkj8A.png

TBH it's probably better than most of what Wizards does character wise

Maledict

artifacts always broke colour pie just worse or more expensive

Yes, but my issue has nothing to do with the colour pie? Artifacts breaking the colour pie is, as you say, a big part of their mechanic.

My issue is the cross over with enchantments - it's already hard, design wise, to carve out a space mechanically for enchantments which is seperate to artifact a beyond 'theme'. Rosewater talked about it length during and after Theros block. If you start making a class of equipment that can be used your opponents creatures then really I can't think of much that makes them difference other than flavour.

Is this really going to be the outcome of the Judge lawsuit?

If they dump the program it'll limit them to historical liability and probably take a little wind out of the sails of the current suit. Even if it doesn't particularly affect the suit, it's likely that WotC doesn't think the program's worth it if they have to pay everyone, so they might as well unload it now.

If they wanted a good Eldritch Moon uncommon, Blessed Alliance would've been a much better choice tbh

Nah. Incendiary Flow is the ideal FNM promo -- a card that will be played constantly until it rotates out, that people are gonna want a fancy playset of to put in their decks. Blessed Alliance would be fine too but Incendiary Flow is the kind of braindead-obvious card they should be hitting every set.

Ashodin

It's not efficient burn, but damn if I haven't won games off of flow letting me hit that last 3 damage to the face

Also RIP familien, you will be missed.

No avatar = permaban

Ashodin

lol where do you people get this shit

My bait worked! You fell for it!

So I'm coming up with a new variant gametype for MTG called Artificer and Enchanter. (A&E for short)

The current idea is that each player brings 4 Artifacts and 4 Enchantments to get shuffled into a communal pile of both.

I'm still working on whether or not I want to make it a singleton 60 or 70 card format.

Using the planar die (or a regular D6, making the 1 = Chaos and 6 = Planeswalker symbol), you roll for various things during gameplay.

After a regular die roll to determine what "class" you are, (Odds = Artificer, Evens = Enchanter) you shuffle the decks and put the top card of your class in your command zone. This is your artifact or enchantment.

Artificers can:

• Cast a copy of their artifact from their command zone. Each copy past the first costs 1 more to cast.
  • Can roll the planar die to try to get another artifact. Landing on Planeswalker changes the artifact to the next artifact in the pile. Put the previous artifact on the bottom of the artifact pile.
  • Rolling Chaos changes your class to Enchanter. Put your artifact on the bottom of the artifact pile, and put the top card from the enchantment pile into your command zone.

Enchanters can:

• Put the top card from the enchantment pile into their command zone. Utilize their enchantment from the start. It affects their gameplay immediately from their first turn.
  • Can roll the planar die to try to get another enchantment. Landing on Planeswalker changes the enchantment to the top card in the enchantment pile. Put the previous enchantment on the bottom of the enchantment pile.
  • Rolling Chaos changes your class to Artificer. Put your enchantment on the bottom of the enchantment pile, and put the top card from the artifact pile into your command zone.

Designed for 2 - 4 players, Artificers and Enchanters are each on teams and cannot attack other players of the same class. If everyone rolls and becomes an Artificer or Enchanter, then free-for-all is now the mode of the game. If ONLY one player rolls either Enchanter or Artificer, they add TWO enchantments or Artifacts to their command zone, respectively.

Still more work to be done, but I feel like it could be a great format where players will try to "sabotage" the game by bringing in terrible enchantments/artifacts.

Still more work to be done, but I feel like it could be a great format where players will try to "sabotage" the game by bringing in terrible enchantments/artifacts.

So, like, can I just bring 4 copies of Stasis and 4 copies of Orb of Dreams or do I need to break it up into something like Winter/Static/of Dreams/Tangle Wire and Stasis/Freyalise's Winds/Root Maze/Desolation?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
It's usually pretty obvious when someone gets permed because they usually say something heinous in their post history

Ashodin

So, like, can I just bring 4 copies of Stasis and 4 copies of Orb of Dreams or do I need to break it up into something like Winter/Static/of Dreams/Tangle Wire and Stasis/Freyalise's Winds/Root Maze/Desolation?

There'll be a banlist. You also can't bring 4 of the same type of artifact/enchantment.

I might also do something like "Enchantments don't turn on until after the players turn = CMC" or something like that if they're too good.

hermit7

If they dump the program it'll limit them to historical liability and probably take a little wind out of the sails of the current suit. Even if it doesn't particularly affect the suit, it's likely that WotC doesn't think the program's worth it if they have to pay everyone, so they might as well unload it

Realistically it puts the ball in the court of the TOs to pay judges if they want to run events.

If WotC is hosting something for worlds or something then they can hire a judge for that event only. Puts the impetus on the judges to find regular gigs.

They should however keep the testing and qualifications for judges and maintain a database for TOS to contact people in their area if they want to run an event.

There'll be a banlist. You also can't bring 4 of the same type of artifact/enchantment.

I might also do something like "Enchantments don't turn on until after the players turn = CMC" or something like that if they're too good.

How would you handle the many enchantments with upkeep costs? Could the pile enchantments be destroyed/interacted with?

ultron87

Realistically it puts the ball in the court of the TOs to pay judges if they want to run events.

If WotC is hosting something for worlds or something then they can hire a judge for that event only. Puts the impetus on the judges to find regular gigs.

They should however keep the testing and qualifications for judges and maintain a database for TOS to contact people in their area if they want to run an event.

That's all basically how it works right now. Wizards used to "pay" judges in a way with GP Foils, but they aren't doing that anymore. All compensation for working a tournament comes from the organizer and judges individually seek out events to work for.

Those lawsuits didn't have much to do with payment, it was that Wizards has complete control over someone's ability to be a judge through the DCI controlled certification tests and has the ability to ban people from doing the job unilaterally.

Ashodin

How would you handle the many enchantments with upkeep costs? Could the pile enchantments be destroyed/interacted with?
It's an exhaustive list, but each would have to be examined. I could just ban upkeep enchantments altogether.

The pile enchantments couldn't be interacted with, no, but there could be a mechanic to affect them. For example, pay the mana cost to "shut it off" for a turn.

Wulfric

Wizards just killed its Judge style program for D&D, and the article speculates that the Judge program for Magic might be on the chopping block

http://icv2.com/articles/news/view/36289/wotc-eliminates-its-d-d-organized-play-volunteers

I'm not sure they can eliminate the program without making huge changes to the Grand Prix and Pro Tour experience. From my understanding, D&D is a more intimate game which can be adjusted to suit the need of the players/DMs. The same is not true for competitive Magic. You still need to maintain a standard for premier events, and L1/L2s help grow the community on the local level for Game Days and PPTQs. The DCI testing helps make sure a L2 judge in Rio is on the same level as a L2 judge in Brisbane. I don't think you can leave testing to TOs either.

The issue of compensation is another issue. If I'm not mistaken, the Judge program was created years ago when the game was much smaller. If Hasbro doesn't want to pay judges, then it falls on tournament organizers to do so. High $$$ foils should compliment an actual paycheck for a weekend. The game can't exist in it's current form without what are essentially volunteers making a couple bucks an hour.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
Ugh, would they just kill the judge program like that? Seems so integral to the game.

At the Sydney GP I was told that the inside bathroom with 3 toilets was for "Pro players only" and ushered away by someone in a Wizards shirt. The outside bathroom had no toilet seat.

Players being able to take a shit on a working toilet isn't even integral to the game.

Wulfric

At the Sydney GP I was told that the inside bathroom with 3 toilets was for "Pro players only" and ushered away by someone in a Wizards shirt. The outside bathroom had no toilet seat.

Players being able to take a shit on a working toilet isn't even integral to the game.

Lol, that reminds me of GP Madison where I tried walking past some empty tables and a very tall judge blocked my way. I look behind him and there's the entirety of the Channel Fireball team eating Mcdonalds. I probably wouldn't have noticed had the guy not jumped in front of my path. It's not like BBD is Justin Bieber or anything. The pros play at the exact same tables as the rest of us.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuck that!

Wulfric

Hey, can someone with WMCQ experience help me out? Am I reading this document correctly? Appendix C on page 28 says you need 500 planeswalker points in one year to qualify for WMCQ tournaments in the United States. I have only 211 points this year (thanks to basic training), but I think reaching 500 points should be doable. That sounds like one PPTQ per month and at least one GP before May 28th. At GP Milwaukee I earned 98 points for the year just through side events.

Ashodin

Lol, that reminds me of GP Madison where I tried walking past some empty tables and a very tall judge blocked my way. I look behind him and there's the entirety of the Channel Fireball team eating Mcdonalds. I probably wouldn't have noticed had the guy not jumped in front of my path. It's not like BBD is Justin Bieber or anything. The pros play at the exact same tables as the rest of us.
Hahaha I would've just laughed that guy off and went around him. He's not a bouncer or some shit.

Wulfric

Magic pros seem pretty insufferable.

Hmm, I'm not sure about that. They're probably not any worse than your typical PPTQ or FNM hero. The extra social media attention and pressure to succeed will probably leave most pros stone-faced until they get back to their hotel room. Kudos to them if they chat with their random opponent after the match, but many pros travel in groups and already know each other. Just this past weekend I spotted Reid Duke and William Jensen having a chat in the hallway outside the main ballroom. I don't blame them for keeping to themselves if most people aren't at their level of success.

Heck, I don't even know the names of the EDH crowd in my own store. Does that make me insufferable? I hope not.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Magic judges are serial hero worshipers of pro players, which is of course its own problem, but they're by far the worst at never fucking shutting up about BBD or LSV or whatever. The average joe doesn't fucking care.

Pretty brutal responses to Sam Stoddard asking people to rate the current Standard environment: https://twitter.com/samstod/status/808572393346076676

It isn't like they can do anything about it. They made their decision to just let shit run wild a couple years back. The fact that people noticed that Standard is a shit-show recently doesn't mean it hasn't been a shitshow for a while. It's the same thing I told everyone at FNM - they need to stop printing cards like Avacyn and Gideon. I'm not meaning to fixate on those cards specifically, but they're representative - they're the big dumb cards that prevent fun cards like Angel of Invention from being anything but aggravating limited bombs. Constructed Plant cards suck. All I'm saying is that it didn't take any players I know very long to figure out that lots of these cards were unfun shit, e.g. Spell Queller, Avacyn, Gideon, Emrakul. I don't know if I'm alone in thinking Torrential Gearhulk is in that category, but its a brutally unfun card to play against.

I mean, its not like there aren't other problems - degenerate strategies that have no effective way to counter them (Delirium, Vehicles, Minslave'mrakul as a cast trigger, let's pray to god Aether Revolt doesn't make energy degenerate because Marvel is a ridiculous card even as the third best deck), the constant printing of degenerate creatures that are basically spells attached to huge asses that fuck you over enough to make it impossible to profitably answer them, printing lots of powerful Planeswalkers with no effective way to interact with Planeswalkers, none of the cards are worth anything individually, but the 2 or 3 good decks are expensive on the whole, etc. etc.

Ashodin

Seriously fuck Spell Queller. Who the fuck thought it was a good idea to print a 3 CMC flyer for 2/3 that flashes in and kills a 4 cmc spell

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom