• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT9| Kaladesh - Cruisin' Down the Street in my 6/4

Status
Not open for further replies.

OnPoint

I would not expect vehicles to be evergreen. And I would not expect new versions of the Weatherlight-era ships outside of Commander or some other supplemental set.

Ashodin

I would not expect vehicles to be evergreen. And I would not expect new versions of the Weatherlight-era ships outside of Commander or some other supplemental set.

Oh god, if they gave us a new vehicle weatherlight... hnnnngggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhh

ar7H12r.png

Not sure exactly how we're at a position that vehicles as fundamentally bad due to only living when activated unless we're also saying that manlands are bad.

bigkrev

Not sure exactly how we're at a position that vehicles as fundamentally bad due to only living when activated unless we're also saying that manlands are bad.

They do Manlands once every every 5-10 years
Also, none of the current manlands have evasion, and anytime you kill one you are getting a virtual 2-for-1 on your opponent (because you kill a creature plus Stone Rain them)

kirblar

Manlands require a heavy mana investment to activate! :)

And yeah, stone rain + kill spell is a + for your opponent.

FFS I went 1-1-1 with a goddamn 3-0 deck. Like not kidding, sky sovereign and fumigate. The 4 mana pacifism with the redirect effect, 2 essence extraction, a tidy conclusion a splash for gearseeker serpent off 2 prisms and on and on. I didn't even have a bad or greedy curve.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
"We changed it late and didn't test it."

That's the most stale explanation for why [busted card] exists.

But Marvel is pretty easy to deal with; its far less shitty than Collected Company because Collected Company decks function just fine without Collected Company.

My guess is that future Vehicles are something like equipment - filler cards for limited.

Firemind

They do Manlands once every every 5-10 years
Also, none of the current manlands have evasion, and anytime you kill one you are getting a virtual 2-for-1 on your opponent (because you kill a creature plus Stone Rain them)
Remember when Creeping Tar Pit and Celestial Collonade were Standard legal? Those were the days.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
But Marvel is pretty easy to deal with; its far less shitty than Collected Company because Collected Company decks function just fine without Collected Company.

My guess is that future Vehicles are something like equipment - filler cards for limited.

They havent had a complete fuck up like Stoneforge to scare them off vehicles yet.

Jhriad

I'd like Vehicles more if more of them had additional utility when not crewed, Cultivator's Caravan and Bomat Bazaar Barge for example. Just being an inert creature on a stick isn't exactly interesting without cards that specifically interact with Vehicles like Veteran Motorist and I doubt they'll be putting many of those in sets if there's only going to be one or two vehicles in a set.

Maybe expand Vehicles/crewing to include actual creatures?
For instance:

Riderless Horse GG
Creature - Horse Vehicle
Crew 2 : X gets +3 / 0 and Trample
2/3

It wouldn't be templated like that obviously but they could do something like it, right? It probably adds an unnecessary level of complexity for a set that isn't themed around it though.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
And with any Sword. And Squadron Hawk. And any future good equipment, which is why we havent had one since Scars.

And with any Sword. And Squadron Hawk. And any future good equipment, which is why we havent had one since Scars.[/QUOTE}

It was strong with those, but without Batterskull you were paying 4 Mana for a 1/2 creature, tutoring and playing a 3 mana equipment. That's not something that's absurd, considering we've had 4/5 Trampling Lightning Helixes that cost 4 Mana.

I've looked on Gatherer, the amount of playable equipment above 3 mana(Aka where you're really getting into cheating territory) is basically just Batterskull and maybe Elbrus.

Plus, wizards has admitted that "We don't care about a card's power level in non-Standard/Limited", so I don't see why they'd deliberately design around it.

Wulfric

Soooo I got some new ink today. <3

Sliver courtesy of Jeff Miracola, and Yaheeni by Jason Engle. Saving some blank space for rk post and Steve Argyle tomorrow morning. They were $60 total. Pretty fair I think.

Also judge gave me 120 tix instead of 20 for a 4 round event. Got a KTK fat pack. :D

Yeef

Oh god, if they gave us a new vehicle weatherlight... hnnnngggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhh

ar7H12r.png
This card is busted, because it's impossible to beat in combat. What you want is Godsend's wording so that you can at least multi-block it.

To be accurate, the Weatherlight vehicle card would have to kill one of its own crew each turn. And it gets exiled for your next turn if it goes one turn without being crewed.

And then it doesn't do anything else, except that if you get all the Legacy artifacts into play while it's crewed you win the game.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Is the problem maybe that WOTC takes their story too seriously?

I was making an omelet and wondering what WOTC could do to make the Gatewatch crew more naturally memetic like the Overwatch crew. On the surface they share a lot of similarities, but people are generally less interested in the PWs as characters than as bags of mechanics whereas, for Overwatch, the opposite is true. I think the foundation is there. Gatewatch and co. are a colorful bunch each representing some kind of aesthetic and psychological niche. I don't know what it's missing though. Maybe the audience makeup is just too different.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

I was making an omelet and wondering what WOTC could do to make the Gatewatch crew more naturally memetic like the Overwatch crew. On the surface they share a lot of similarities, but people are generally less interested in the PWs as characters than as bags of mechanics whereas, for Overwatch, the opposite is true. I think the foundation is there. Gatewatch and co. are a colorful bunch each representing some kind of aesthetic and psychological niche. I don't know what it's missing though. Maybe the audience makeup is just too different.

nonononononono

I realize I'm in the minority on this but for as much as I actually like playing Overwatch I don't want Wizards to learn anything from it about character design or tone

Firemind

I think it's the lack of motivation and background. Like, every LoL champion has a short backstory. Planeswalkers also have backstories, but most of them are just shoehorned into the current story like Jace because reasons. They should cycle through Planeswalkers after every block, some playable, some not, instead of making them into a clique that do the same things every time.

El Topo

These guys can work on one big problem, but approach it separately. Maybe someone investigates rumors of activity by Bolas on one plane, maybe another tries to find out where Tezzeret went, maybe others seek counsel from some people on a third plane. It's just very limiting to the characters and story if they always stick together. The five should only come together when things get dire.

The premises is such that they can embrace the corny and campy w/o it feeling out if place.

Overwatch has the equivalent to an un-set and magic is a Battlefield wizards is trying to force avengers into.
I think it's the lack of motivation and background. Like, every LoL champion has a short backstory. Planeswalkers also have backstories, but most of them are just shoehorned into the current story like Jace because reasons. They should cycle through Planeswalkers after every block, some playable, some not, instead of making them into a clique that do the same things every time.
Jace has back story he just erased it
-wizards quality writing

OnPoint

They have backstories, it's just that some are better than others. I actually want to know how Liliana is going to resolve her situation. Jace at least has mystery. Chandra's was pretty straight forward (which is to be expected), but Nissa and Gideon are as boring as characters could be. Good stories need some sort of conflict. People need to be looking forward to resolution. What do they have? Pretty much nothing.

That's why character development, the thing they are most sorely lacking, is so important. Gideon and Nissa are boring based on their past, so give them something new. A quick example of this (though I would not want this exact answer) is for one of them to lose a limb or an eye or be paralyzed or something, then you could write about them adjusting to their newfound weakness. Even if it's temporary. It might change how the characters interact and add new wrinkles to the ever-stagnating dynamics. Garruk is interesting in part because they continued his development by cursing him and moving him into green-black. It's a simple formula. A thing happened to him, things around him changed. We get to see new stuff. It's engaging and not always predictable.

By contrast, the Gatewatch characters are like the equivalent of The Simpsons
wait for that Liliana 'don't have a cow man' reference
-- day in and day out they wear the same clothes and, when the story is over, their status quo is restored. Maybe there are changes on the worlds they visit, but not to them. They're supposed to be our anchors in this wild journey -- they're the thing which we get constant exposure to, and no matter how unique a setting they surround them with, people will get sick of them without some kind of growth.

Gideon should have conflict, but instead it's been glossed over. Gideon's Origins story ended with him being the reason why all his friends died and him wanting to atone for his mistakes. Unfortunately, by the virtue of him being active on Zendikar/searching for a way to beat the Eldrazi on Ravnica, he's been unable to actually develop.

Where he should be(for narrative sake) is close to Captain America during the last third of First Avenger, roughly
Bucky's Death to the end of the movie
. Instead, because GATEWATCH!!, he's stuck in full on Team Leader Mode without any chance to work on that conflict, because he apparently spent years solving it on Bant.

Chandra has no identity beyond "Burn!" and emotions, and what really should be a personal story for her(with Ally colours tagging along) became somehow cause for the whole Gatewatch to join in.

Nissa they burned a perfectly good redemption/discovery arc of learning why being racist is a bad thing, and even though that is cliche I don't like how they brushed it to the side. But no, since Sorin's busy chilling in Stone no one knows that Nissa's the reason why the Gatewatch had to be formed. I mean, you could even have a fucking arc where Nissa goes from "Elves are the best! Zendikar is the best! Fuck the rest of the Multiverse" to seeing the value of different planes(Yaheeni??) To being the first to realize how badly they messed up by Killing the Eldrazi.

The issue is Wizards needs to plan character arcs and drives for their face characters, not just slap them together. Give Jace an arc that concludes with him leaving the Gatewatch because he's the Living Guildpact and Ravinca can't afford to have him be running around when there's enough shit happening there. Give Gideon a narrative around him becoming disillusioned with the Gatewatch following the Chaos on Kaladesh/Amonkhet overthrowing a relatively stable and peaceful society. Give Chandra an Arc about her realizing that her actions have consequences that she's never around to fully deal with.

OnPoint

Gideon should have conflict, but instead it's been glossed over. Gideon's Origins story ended with him being the reason why all his friends died and him wanting to atone for his mistakes. Unfortunately, by the virtue of him being active on Zendikar/searching for a way to beat the Eldrazi on Ravnica, he's been unable to actually develop.

Where he should be(for narrative sake) is close to Captain America during the last third of First Avenger, roughly
Bucky's Death to the end of the movie
. Instead, because GATEWATCH!!, he's stuck in full on Team Leader Mode without any chance to work on that conflict, because he apparently spent years solving it on Bant.

I agree with you. And the latest story shows they want to go with it, but it's like they have no idea how to work it into the story. He's just a boring leader with no wrinkles right now. Like if he got obsessive about details or not killing, or if he got down on himself for not doing enough, or something.

Soooo I got some new ink today. <3

Sliver courtesy of Jeff Miracola, and Yaheeni by Jason Engle. Saving some blank space for rk post and Steve Argyle tomorrow morning. They were $60 total. Pretty fair I think.

Also judge gave me 120 tix instead of 20 for a 4 round event. Got a KTK fat pack. :D

Sick

Rkpost is rad. I spent so much $ on tokens at GP denver

GoutPatrol

Forgotten in his cell
just gotta word it correctly, not difficult to either threaten a creature then attach or simply attach when it ETB

Actually that sounds incredibly difficult or counter-intuitive to what equipment has done for the past decade. There was a reason they don't have instant speed equips since the original Mirrodin. Not to mention giving colorless a huge part of white's color pie.

bigkrev

Equipment, as a rule, can only attach to creatures you control. You could not use the Equip mechanic to attach these cards to opponents creatures, you would have to do something like the Cranial Plating cycle, writing out "X,: Attach this equipment to target creature your opponent controls", in addition to having an equip cost that could only be used on your own stuff.

It's overly complicated and confusing and probably powerful in limited that the only place for it is supplamental product, and I really don't think there is any demand for this type of stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom