• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Paper Mario is my least favourite game in the series

Miyamoto wanted to know if they could make the game only using characters from the established Super Mario universe (this is in refernce Sticker Star). After playing an early build of the Paper Mario 3DS, he said it felt too much like the GameCube game.

Here's the quote from Tanabe:

Some people would say the story and characters help separate Paper Mario and make it unique.

Okay, I'll replace baseless allegations with insinuating exaggerations, then.
Miyamoto having precious little regard for stories as major element of a game is known (and on a grander scale I personally agree extremely with that), so the quote is very believable: He apparently thinks that people like the game for the gameplay, and contrary to almost any other Nintendo franchise, this is just not true imo.
The PM series started as quite a basic JRPG with rather little focus on gameplay. Next to the name-giving graphic style, it is the witty dialogue that is really the only element common among the entire series. And this dialogue profits enormously from both a story and additional unique characters and those are therefore not a distraction but a crucial building block to the experience of the game.
Still, his goal is not a pursue of eradicating any creativity outside of the NSMB series, but the foolish reduction to basics in order to focus on gameplay.

Choomp

Banned
At the time I played it I think I would've agreed, but then I played Sticker Star which really just felt like lifeless filler with barely any substance.

VDenter

Banned
I remember being incredibly disappointed with this game. Its alright for maybe one play through but its a game i dont have any urge to go back to. To me it really does not matter witch of the three Super,Sticker Star or Color Splash is the worst Paper Mario since they are all quite underwhelming for different reasons.

higemaru

Yeah I really don't think this game works at all. The game looks nice and has a novel mechanic with the flipping but it just isn't fun. It's hard to really quantify fun but I felt the game was a total slog. And the plot is extremely tone deaf, going from a character farting away to bizarre melodrama in a matter of minutes. It doesn't gel at all.

I quit the because it had too much text. Too much text. Never completed it and I don't care. Outside of that though, amazing gameplay.

Of all the abstract, wonky character designs in that game, you pick one of the really nice ones as an example.
Unreleated:
I love your avatar

MYeager

I loved it from the moment it asked if I wanted to save the kingdom, I said no and it went to the title screen.

Something that gets ignored often in SPM discussions is how influential in the industry this game could possibly be or ended up being. Specially for the indie sector or small grade projects in general.

The Flip Mechanic. After this game was shown as a GC project and when it was eventually released as a Wii game, i saw an increase of games that used dimensions and visual perception as gameplay mechanics. This doesn't mean SPM did this first, however, is noteworthy to me how the frequency of this type of games increased after it. Lost in Shadow, Echochrome, Braid, Crush for example.

The art style. i truly think the Flip mechanic and the minimalistic square shaped design had a palpable influence specially at the indie level. Or it can be totally coincidence.

Simplifying mechanics and interface. This is also tied to the Wii concept in general, but SPM was one of the first games that signaled what would be a Wii trend. Basically it took a game series that got more complex with each subsequent release and made it work with an streamlined interface and controls. This was early in the Wii's life, for a system that closed it's cycle with the revival of various dormant genres and served as an example that reached other creators. Or again, it might just be coincidental.
________________________________________________________________________________________

As for SPM itself, it's virtues: good dialog, some interesting new characters, the Flip Mechanic, art style and easy to understand interface and controls.

It's drawbacks: A slow start, boring level design and some forgetable chapters.

Never the less a worthwhile game to play and i appreciate the direction Nintendo took with this one.

Now, that the Paper Mario team can focus on a single platform let's hope this means the quality of the series gets augmented and the game in general is graced with more interesting scenarios.

With the extreme bombing of Color Splash I'm very interested to see what happens next. Will Miyamoto learn his mistake? Is the series dead? Not really sure we will get another one TBH.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
They did, they turned it into an adventure game. I hope they go even further with it for future games.
The field segments are great. The battle system still feels weird though.

They forgot to add in the difficulty in this game. The items are useless unless you are under 8.

It's easy to the point where it's offensive.

It should be everyone's least favorite imo. It's still somewhat worth playing I think, but it's a tedious game. Sticker Star and especially Color Splash saved the franchise (I'm serious btw).

Wow. I have to say that last sentence is crazy to me. I could not get more than an hour through either of those games without getting totally bored... And I desperately wanted to like Color Splash after getting hyped on positive GAF feedback.

Aeana

I love this game. It was so cool to finally get another side-scrolling RPG at the time; it felt like there hadn't been a good one in quite a while at the time. Yes, it would've been nice to get another game like PM1 and 2, but this was a cool side experiment with hilarious writing.

Even if one doesn't like it, though, it boggles my mind how it would be seen as less preferable to Sticker Star or Color Splash. I know those two games have some fans, but I don't get it. Consumable actions and battles that don't give much in the way of rewards except more of those consumable actions or a means to get more of them. Zero sum isn't fun in pretty much any game as far as I'm concerned.

I love this game. It was so cool to finally get another side-scrolling RPG at the time; it felt like there hadn't been a good one in quite a while at the time. Yes, it would've been nice to get another game like PM1 and 2, but this was a cool side experiment with hilarious writing.

Even if one doesn't like it, though, it boggles my mind how it would be seen as less preferable to Sticker Star or Color Splash. I know those two games have some fans, but I don't get it. Consumable actions and battles that don't give much in the way of rewards except more of those consumable actions or a means to get more of them. Zero sum isn't fun in pretty much any game as far as I'm concerned.
Indeed. Plus speeding of hilarious writing, SPM has a Bowser that's not near mute so that alone puts it above Sticker Star and Color Splash for me. Some of his dialogue in SPM is brilliant. Add on other great stuff like Mr. L/Luigi, and villains like Dimentio, and I really enjoyed it. It's definitely not my favorite but nonetheless there was a lot to love in it, IMO.

Miyamoto wanted to know if they could make the game only using characters from the established Super Mario universe (this is in refernce Sticker Star). After playing an early build of the Paper Mario 3DS, he said it felt too much like the GameCube game.

Here's the quote from Tanabe [in 2012]: "Aside from wanting us to change the atmosphere a lot, there were two main things that Miyamoto-san said from the start of the project-"It's fine without a story, so do we really need one?" and "As much as possible, complete it with only characters from the Super Mario world."

Some people would say the story and characters help separate Paper Mario and make it unique.

Franz Brötchen;227843350 said:
...Miyamoto having precious little regard for stories as major element of a game is known (and on a grander scale I personally agree extremely with that), so the quote is very believable: He apparently thinks that people like the game for the gameplay, and contrary to almost any other Nintendo franchise, this is just not true imo... this dialogue profits enormously from both a story and additional unique characters and those are therefore not a distraction but a crucial building block to the experience of the game. Still, his goal is... the foolish reduction to basics in order to focus on gameplay...

Miyamoto was apparently involved with the original Super Mario RPG (1996), which obviously had a heavy emphasis on story, as well as a large number of new characters:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Mario_RPG
Yoshio Hongo of Nintendo explained the game's origins: "Square's RPGs sold well in Japan but not overseas. There have been calls from all ages, and from young girls, for another character to which they could become attached. Mario was the best, but had not been in an RPG. Nintendo's director, Mr. Miyamoto also wanted to do an RPG using Mario. There happened to be a chance for both companies to talk, which went well." The game was officially unveiled by both Mario creator and producer Shigeru Miyamoto and co-director Chihiro Fujioka at the 1995 V-Jump Festival event in Japan. Miyamoto led teams at Nintendo and Square, who spent over a year developing the graphics. The story takes place in a newly rendered Mushroom Kingdom based on the Super Mario Bros. Series... With guidance from Miyamoto, Square developed the game, combining role-playing aspects of previous Square games like Final Fantasy VI with the platforming elements of Nintendo's games....

Miyamoto also apparently had something of a hands-on role with Eternal Darkness:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krnl6LR7paA
”...I've never met someone who's so focused on trying to make things good, and he says both very focused feedback on particular gameplay items, and then at the same time he'll give you 10,000 [foot] overview of what he thinks of the feel and the spirit of the game. He'll be like, ‘I'm not sure if we're going too much in this direction, and I think the spirit of the game needs to go [in this] direction.' So you get both very specific feedback, on certain mechanics, and then at the same time, he would give very general feedback on the spirit of where everything's going. So, it was pretty awesome working with Mr. Miyamoto, and he did contribute [to Eternal Darkness] for sure..."

Given that Miyamoto has previously been OK with story in games, in at least a few high-profile instances, I am curious if there were developments/events that might have contributed to a change/hardening of his views, on this matter.

Does anyone have any info on this? The reaction to the bad story/characterization in Metroid: Other M was quite strong, for example, so I would imagine that could have played a role.

Silraru

I quite enjoyed Super Paper Mario for it's gameplay, especially the puzzles. I would say my least favorite has to be sticker star. It is not a bad game but I think reading the negative comments and reviews colored my perception of sticker star. I enjoyed it a bit more after disregarding what others have said. I enjoyed other games in the series. Still trying to finish color splash at the moment. Even though there's no reward from the battles, I feel actually happier with that. I feel less bogged down about having to defeat each enemy to earn exp to level up. It makes me feel it is ok to avoid enemy or run away if I want to.

If they went all in and actually managed to make a decent Paper Mario graphic adventure, I might actually be interested in the series again.

Just pick a genre, dammit.
They've picked a genre. I think a promo video or something for Color Splash indicated that Paper Mario was now guaranteed to be the adventure game series, whereas Mario & Luigi is the RPG. The problem I see with that is that they kept Sticker Star's garbage RPG combat in Color Splash, and deciding that one series should be one genre, and the other series should be another genre, still doesn't excuse the fact that the cast of all their recent games is literally just a bunch of recolored toads.

I'd rather have whatever the hell this is over a bunch of recolored toads.

C1l5xl0W8AIbbQv.jpg:large

Mista Koo

The game had bad character designs and the flipping mechanic forced you to use boring Mario. Otherwise I thought the game was great.

You could argue that latter games are more polished and look better, but that's about it.

I appreciate how out of the box and experimental it feels, and the writing can be cute and clever. Sadly enough the entire game does come off as super low budget. Every original visual asset in the game can be described as programmer graphics. The level design is sorely lacking for a game that is part platformer, and its one core hook worked against the character switching mechanic. The game is so verbose and wastes your time "as a joke" so often, that I can only assume they were trying to pad the game's length to be more in line with the rest of the series. All of it points to a cheaply made game that didn't have a lot of time to cook. It's not my least liked entry in the series, because that one is the pointless feeling Sticker Star, but SPM is still ranked pretty low for me.

It should be everyone's least favorite imo. It's still somewhat worth playing I think, but it's a tedious game. Sticker Star and especially Color Splash saved the franchise (I'm serious btw).

I disagree about this more than anything video game-related ever

I went into Sticker Star as a defender pre-release, and it's currently my least favorite Nintendo game ever made. It is perhaps the most miserable experience I have ever had with a video game (that I finished).

Miyamoto was apparently involved with the original Super Mario RPG (1996), which obviously had a heavy emphasis on story, as well as a large number of new characters:

Miyamoto also apparently had something of a hands-on role with Eternal Darkness:

Given that Miyamoto has previously been OK with story in games, in at least a few high-profile instances, I am curious if there were developments/events that might have contributed to a change/hardening of his views, on this matter.

Does anyone have any info on this? The reaction to the bad story/characterization in Metroid: Other M was quite strong, for example, so I would imagine that could have played a role.

Eternal Darkness is Eternal Darkness though, Mario is Mario. Super Mario RPG works as an exception since it is a third-party-developed title (and from a developer that makes a lot of important games for the platform). Another example was Super Mario Galaxy 2 - the developers had to sneak story into the first game in the form of Rosalina's story time. Miyamoto specifically sought to prevent a repeat of this in the sequel. If you've ever heard the phrase "upended the tea table," it came from a Galaxy 2 interview with Miyamoto.

etrain911

I thought it was right up there with PM and TTYD. The change in gameplay didn't even bother me.

Sticker Star and Color Splash don't know what they want to be. SPM is a platformer RPG, and I feel comfortable putting it under the RPG umbrella. SS and CS are... something else, like they're stuck in a limbo that isn't anything. Turn based battles with no numbers? Either be an RPG or don't. Color Splash brought back good writing, but they need to do something about the gameplay in this series.

I would argue that Color Splash brought back good dialogue. The actual plot of the game is so boring. Just because they're able to poke fun at Peach being kidnapped again, doesn't mean it isn't a tired plot line by now. SPM did away with that at some point and incorporated it into something bigger.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Mario_RPG
"Yoshio Hongo of Nintendo explained the game's origins: 'Square's RPGs sold well in Japan but not overseas. There have been calls from all ages, and from young girls, for another character to which they could become attached. Mario was the best, but had not been in an RPG. Nintendo's director, Mr. Miyamoto also wanted to do an RPG using Mario. There happened to be a chance for both companies to talk, which went well.' The game was officially unveiled by both Mario creator and producer Shigeru Miyamoto and co-director Chihiro Fujioka at the 1995 V-Jump Festival event in Japan. Miyamoto led teams at Nintendo and Square, who spent over a year developing the graphics. The story takes place in a newly rendered Mushroom Kingdom based on the Super Mario Bros. Series... With guidance from Miyamoto, Square developed the game, combining role-playing aspects of previous Square games like Final Fantasy VI with the platforming elements of Nintendo's games..."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krnl6LR7paA
”...I've never met someone who's so focused on trying to make things good, and he says both very focused feedback on particular gameplay items, and then at the same time he'll give you 10,000 [foot] overview of what he thinks of the feel and the spirit of the game. He'll be like, ‘I'm not sure if we're going too much in this direction, and I think the spirit of the game needs to go [in this] direction.' So you get both very specific feedback, on certain mechanics, and then at the same time, he would give very general feedback on the spirit of where everything's going. So, it was pretty awesome working with Mr. Miyamoto, and he did contribute [to Eternal Darkness] for sure..."

Given that Miyamoto has previously been OK with story in games, in at least a few high-profile instances, I am curious if there were developments/events that might have contributed to a change/hardening of his views, on this matter. Does anyone have any info on this? The reaction to the bad story/characterization in Metroid: Other M was quite strong, for example, so I would imagine that could have played a role.

Eternal Darkness is Eternal Darkness though, Mario is Mario. Super Mario RPG works as an exception since it is a third-party-developed title (and from a developer that makes a lot of important games for the platform). Another example was Super Mario Galaxy 2 - the developers had to sneak story into the first game in the form of Rosalina's story time. Miyamoto specifically sought to prevent a repeat of this in the sequel. If you've ever heard the phrase "upended the tea table," it came from a Galaxy 2 interview with Miyamoto.

Thanks for the info. It's an interesting subject:

https://www.wired.com/2009/06/super-mario-galaxy-2/
--”I'd like to go with as little story as possible," [Miyamoto] said. ”I've always felt that the Mario games themselves aren't particularly suited to having a very heavy story."

--”I just feel that the Mario games are something that should be a much more bright and active experience," [Miyamoto] said. ”With the Mario games, you don't need to have such a complicated setting where you have these particular characters with complicated backstories that can weigh down the bright and fun feel of the game."

--”I feel that even if all that you have is that the villain is just simply a villain and you fight them, and you throw them down, and you find out, well, that wasn't such a bad villain after all, that's enough story for ultimately what is just about a very fun experience," [Miyamoto] added.

--”Mr. Koizumi is the type of person who, whenever we're working on a new Mario game, he always wants to bring more story elements into it, as he did with Super Mario Galaxy. But in talking with him this time, he agrees and feels that with Galaxy 2, there won't be a need for as deep of a story," Miyamoto said.

--But does he really agree with his boss, or has Koizumi just been overruled? In an interview with Wired.com in 2007, Koizumi said that he's been trying to sneak bits of story into Mario and Zelda games for his entire career at Nintendo, even as Miyamoto has been trying to keep them out. I told Miyamoto about what Koizumi had said, and he looked slightly taken aback...

I do still think that Super Mario RPG (1996) is a pretty surprising exception, even when accounting for what you mentioned ("...it is a third-party-developed title...and from a developer that makes a lot of important games for the platform...").

NeoGC

Neo Member
I really enjoyed SPM's efforts to strip down the more in-depth RPG mechanics of PM and TTYD, and still incorporate them into what is basically a sidescrolling platformer.

The script in SPM is really some of the best writing the series has had, in my opinion -- and definitely had some memorable moments. (Like Francis' castle -- with that line everyone always refers to.)

Of course, I think Thousand Year Door really is the pinnacle of the Paper Mario games.

It seems to me that, when the Mario and Luigi games began getting sequels, the Paper Mario series began experimenting and moving away from it's RPG roots. Now we have Mario and Luigi as the pretty constant "RPG Mario" series, and Paper Mario as the more exploratory series.

I haven't played the 3DS games, but it seems that the Mario and Luigi series hasn't changed all *that* much over installments; at least, not in the same way Paper Mario has.

Pokemaniac

I really enjoyed SPM's efforts to strip down the more in-depth RPG mechanics of PM and TTYD, and still incorporate them into what is basically a sidescrolling platformer.

The script in SPM is really some of the best writing the series has had, in my opinion -- and definitely had some memorable moments. (Like Francis' castle -- with that line everyone always refers to.)

Of course, I think Thousand Year Door really is the pinnacle of the Paper Mario games.

It seems to me that, when the Mario and Luigi games began getting sequels, the Paper Mario series began experimenting and moving away from it's RPG roots. Now we have Mario and Luigi as the pretty constant "RPG Mario" series, and Paper Mario as the more exploratory series.

I haven't played the 3DS games, but it seems that the Mario and Luigi series hasn't changed all *that* much over installments; at least, not in the same way Paper Mario has.

Mario and Luigi isn't in as dire of a situation as Paper Mario, but it is trending in a worrying direction. Dream Team was just way too long for it's own good, and Paper Jam has a cast similarly barebones to the recent Paper Marios. Personally, I'm also not a huge fan of how overly complicated some of the special attacks have gotten.

Gaspard

The only complaint I have about SPM is that the levels often feel like empty hallways. I thought the action pseudo-platforming was cute.

It really was a breath of fresh air story wise and the dialogue was on point.

Top Bottom