• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does PayPal ever side with the seller?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hitta93

Banned
I just recently sold a pair of kicks on NikeTalk and the buyer is claiming I lied about the condition of the shoes and is holding a claim over my head in order to bring down the costs of the shoes on his end. I know what I sold him is in the described condition and fair market value, but I don't want to get screwed over in the end.

Am I better off just giving him a partial refund or do I have any shot of having PayPal side with me on this?

They don't usually side with the seller, but you can at least ask he send the product back for a refund if he's not satisfied with it and refund him only after you get the product back from him and a tracking number has been supplied to show that the product arrived at your location and when it did. If he refuses to send it back then Paypal might side with the seller (you) because that's generally a sign of a buyer scam.

Hitta93

Banned
Do you have any proof that they're lying? Such as pictures of the product, your description, etc.

I still have the listing available that shows the condition of the shoes. I put in excellent condition in the listing, but I told him in PM it's in "like new" because that's how I honestly feel about them. He disagrees.

He sent me pictures of the shoes and it's honestly nitpicking considering he's not going to find a better deal in that size and price currently online.

Hitta93

Banned
They don't usually side with the seller, but you can at least ask he send the product back for a refund if he's not satisfied with it and refund him only after you get the product back from him and a tracking number has been supplied to show that the product arrived at your location and when it did. If he refuses to send it back then Paypal might side with the seller (you) because that's generally a sign of a buyer scam.

Trying to avoid the full refund, I can't afford that right now as I wasn't expecting this outcome from the buyer.

I don't want to agree on the partial unless I lose the claim.

If he hasn't opened a case, you can try contacting paypal first. Tell them you have pictures of the shoes before and his pictures that show the shoes in the same condition you sent them in.

Be polite and courteous but don't tell him you'll give him anything in a message.

Ashhong

I still have the listing available that shows the condition of the shoes. I put in excellent condition in the listing, but I told him in PM it's in "like new" because that's how I honestly feel about them. He disagrees.

He sent me pictures of the shoes and it's honestly nitpicking considering he's not going to find a better deal in that size and price currently online.

If you have pictures on your listing that matches the pictures that he sent you, then I think you might have a shot in a dispute. Before escalating anything, have him send you pictures of the shoes right now. This way, he can't make it worse to strengthen his claim later.

If his pics match yours in your listing, then that's on him for purchasing, despite what the description says.

also, can we see the pictures?

I just recently sold a pair of kicks on NikeTalk and the buyer is claiming I lied about the condition of the shoes and is holding a claim over my head in order to bring down the costs of the shoes on his end. I know what I sold him is in the described condition and fair market value, but I don't want to get screwed over in the end.

Am I better off just giving him a partial refund or do I have any shot of having PayPal side with me on this?

tell you the truth, you have about 5% chance of winning as a seller =/

AJLma

If he's threatening you with a claim but hasn't actually filed, it's probably best to just get the shoes back, refund him and resell them.

If you listed "Excellent Condition", and to your admission they aren't excellent condition, and he has proof of your admission, then you should probably try to resolve it however you can because PayPal will side with him in this case most likely. They will probably just make him return you the sneakers and make you refund him.

mackattk

Only success you might have is taking it to social media.

Usually it is an open and shut case even with a ton of evidence that the buyer is scanning the seller.

They did in my case. A lady bought a PS4 from me and then her boyfriend tried to say that her account has been stolen and the purchase was fraudulent, but the shipping address the PS4 was sent to matched the one on his Paypal account so the case was settled in my favor. Most likely she bought it without asking him and he wanted to avoid paying for it, which is stupid since I accept returns anyway.

Hitta93

Banned
If you listed "Excellent Condition", and to your admission they aren't excellent condition, and he has proof of your admission, then you should probably try to resolve it however you can because PayPal will side with him in this case most likely. They will probably just make him return you the sneakers and make you refund him.

Who admitted anything?

AJLma

Who admitted anything?

You said:

My bad, you told him they were in better than excellent condition in the PM, so you probably have a chance at it. I wouldn't risk it with my account if he's threatening you with a claim though.

Kadin

Not in my experience. I sold a phone on eBay, the buyer claimed the phone I sold them wasn't the right one and they sent me back a completely different phone. I had a picture of the phone, the IMEI, the packing slip and even AT&T was willing to provide proof that this belonged to me should the buyer ever start using it. Paypal took that information, and immediately ruled for the buyer the same day they got it. No communication to me, just a complete denial.

I have not and will never do business with them again.

Hitta93

Banned
You said:

My bad, you told him they were in better than excellent condition in the PM, so you probably have a chance at it. I wouldn't risk it with my account if he's threatening you with a claim though.

I'm not going to say excellent and "like new IMO" is the same thing, but I get what you're saying. I just know he's trying to screw me over and it's a tough situation to be in.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Tell paypal to have the guy provide pictures of the shoes.

I'd be worried he'd fuck up your shoes before sending them back.

Ooccoo

Unfortunately, PayPal/eBay will almost always side with the client. In my case, I had bought $800 US worth of MTG cards. Turns out the box was full of junk and the posting was a scam. Won the PayPal dispute, sent the cards back ($80 shipping) without tracking and lost the dispute because of it (didn't know I needed a tracking number for an international order...lesson learned. Canada Post didn't offer me an option for tracking).

Parch

If you're using descriptions like "excellent" and "like new", then it better be in flawless condition or people will disagree. It's better to be conservative with descriptions because there's not a lot of leeway for something described as excellent.

For collectible items I'm seeing more listings that just say "condition as per photos" with plenty of close up pictures. That way there is no difference of opinion as to what "excellent" should be. The buyer accepts the item as per the photos and not the questionable description.

Hitta93

Banned
Which is where I could have messed up, but that's ridiculous. He's an obvious reseller as he has a store in his state(his PayPal gave it away). He might want to actually to wear the shoes, but given the prices he has set there, he's trying to flip them. No other way around it.

Parch

I don't know shoes other than knowing they're big time collectibles, but can they get professionally graded like sportscards and comics? If he is a reseller, then his idea of excellent or like new condition is probably expecting a lot if he's comparing it to professionally graded items.

I have a paypal question but I don't want to start a whole thread about it. If a friend and family payment is complete does that mean the recipient actively accepted the payment or does it go into their account automatically with any need for direct intervention?

Jesus Carbomb

From Water into Guinness
I have a paypal question but I don't want to start a whole thread about it. If a friend and family payment is complete does that mean the recipient actively accepted the payment or does it go into their account automatically with any need for direct intervention?

It goes straight into the recipients account. PayPal notifies the person via email that they've received some money from you and that's it.

zulux21

what does VVVNDS condition mean?

I just see vnds which means they haven't been worn more than twice... what do all the extra v mean.

also given your ebay feedback is 5 positive and 3 negative when I look at your feedback, I highly doubt paypal would side with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom