• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nier: Automata PC performance thread

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
I have an i5 6500 and a 1070. Without Kaldaien's mod or GI fix I could run it at 1080p 60fps only if I disabled AA and vsync. With Kaldaien's mod got it to vsync on. With the GI fix I got it to 1440p no trouble. Didn't try turning AA on again, but at 1440p downsampled to my 1080p screen doubt I need it.

You should've been able to do 1440p60 on a 1070 without changing the GI settings. I've been running the whole game that way from the beginning

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Jase, I'm sorry you took my post that way. Everything from pages 42-44 kept referencing a "GI fix" which was not listed in the OP (which I did refer back to...) and I was very confused where that came from. I tried to express my gratitude to the posters who cleared it up for me to try and illustrate my thanks.

I did not mean to question you as to why information wasn't in the OP, but rather to show that for someone not following every post, additional information could be added to the OP (namely adding the words 'GI fix' somewhere) to help clarify where the fix could be found and what it was.

My post was intended to be a legitimate "please add this info to the OP" like you mentioned, even if it did not read that way, and I promise I truly did not mean to be passive aggressive or snarky. I appreciate this thread, your efforts, and the people in the thread who continue to post and help other users.

I'll be more careful with my language next time. Thanks again.

Yeah, I suppose it wouldn't be a bad idea to slightly clarify how GPU performance is significantly improved. And no harm, no foul. <3

Edit: Err, wouldn't be a bad idea. Fixed.

Yeah i turned GI to the absolute lowest and its done wonders so far. I'm actually 60fps constantly at 720p so its a far better experience compared to the original release.

Ascheroth

32 really seems the minimum value you'd want to avoid any visible change as for now.
Although I do wonder, it doesnt seems to bring much change on my side performances wise. Could it be related to an Nvidia/AMD thing ?
I've noticed differences with 32 as well (assuming medium is 32).
Only once so far and it was a patch of grass in the city ruins being unlit, but it happened.

DarkSpikeX

Neo Member
32 really seems the minimum value you'd want to avoid any visible change as for now.
Although I do wonder, it doesnt seems to bring much change on my side performances wise. Could it be related to an Nvidia/AMD thing ?

What GPU do you have? I have an R9 290 and have not seen any noticeable performance increase going from the default value to off or anything other then default.

Ascheroth

What GPU do you have? I have an R9 290 and have not seen any noticeable performance increase going from the default value to off or anything other then default.

I have a 290 as well and am also not sure if I've seen any performance improvements, haha.
I haven't tried it extensively tough, should probably test it at 1440p.

Ascheroth

In fact, I'd say the game ran better without the mod, which gave me bad framepacing.
I've messed around with it a little yesterday, but I can't get RTSS and ReShade to work with it, so I'll probably switch back to that.
Very interesting how there seems to be such a huge difference between AMD and NVidia cards.
Thinking back, AMD cards were performing better than equivalent NVidia ones, from the start, right? Might have something to do with that.
If true, there won't be a 'console fix' though.

Pixieking

Banned
The mod has been updated for supposed Reshade compatibility within the last few hours. Haven't tried it myself, so can't vouch for it.

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
The game is so stuttery if I limit it to 60FPS, as it constantly runs at 59.8~

So if I limit it to 55 it is buttery smooth, I guess I will have to live with that.

hengyu

Tried to update the fullscreen mod to get that GI fix, but the result is that while I see the yellow overlay fullscreen is broken again and I can't go 1080p in fullscreen. Really could use some help

Hey guys, does anyone know the technical reason why characters and objects turn oddly blocky around the edges when being hit by light rays from the sun in the game? It's really weird.

edit: looks to have been discussed on the last page. carry on, gentlemen.

Kvik

I took a break from playing Horizon to boot up the game and stick Kal's mod on top of it:

32816481653_510c24a294_o.jpg

2560x1440, Maximum settings. (including MSAAx8)

2xGTX980
i7-5930K @ 4.2 Ghz
16GB @ 3000Mhz 15-15-15-35
Installed on 2xSSD in RAID0

Also, I searched the OP for an SLI profile but I didn't find any, so perhaps JaseC can add it when he wakes up.

33589423336_f0869653e4_o.png

Scaling looks pretty good so far, more than decent, actually. I'm still very early in the game, but I've encountered no microstutters so far.

The prerendered video chugs like hell though. It's a blemish on otherwise a rather good port.

Kvik

haha. I posted, do my laundry, and noticed I haven't put my GPUs yet. :p

Next is to mod the prerendered video using that DIY fix

Dartastic

I know this isn't the PS4 thread, but I figure I'd ask here anyway in addition to the OP. So, I'm enjoying this game so far (I'm about 5 hours in) but like, the stuttering when I'm running around on my PS4 Pro is driving me NUTS. Like, I'll be running places and just having it stutter all over the place. Have they talked about this at all? Is a fix in the works? It's so frustrating.

I know this isn't the PS4 thread, but I figure I'd ask here anyway in addition to the OP. So, I'm enjoying this game so far (I'm about 5 hours in) but like, the stuttering when I'm running around on my PS4 Pro is driving me NUTS. Like, I'll be running places and just having it stutter all over the place. Have they talked about this at all? Is a fix in the works? It's so frustrating.
People think it's an engine problem. Probably unlikely to be fixed. Maybe alleviated down the line though, as the game seems to be selling very well.

Momentary

Banned
Got Ending A and am going to hold off on the rest so that I can give Kaldaien time to do his thing. Some stuff he's planning on doing, but no set time line:

Framerate limiter
Shadow resolution / precision / filter
Fix the ray-march shader for lightshafts so that it's not a pixellated mess

Then adapt the D3D9 texture / shader modding tools from TB/TZFix.

I'm sure a performance patch is getting ready from Square Enix/Platinum. I might even play the game from the beginning just so I can enjoy the game how I wanted to. Especially with the pre-rendered cut scenes. Damn are they BAD.

Anyway. With the new patch... getting to play at higher resolutions makes the game's art direction look that much better.

13F5EF1AE5A6AE0609AC6D169196A57D57304391

Kvik

Oof, I've tried running the game at 5120x2880 and got plenty of frame hitches. I guess the 4GB VRAM on my 980s isn't enough :-\

Can't wait to get my 1080Tis when the custom cards are ready.

For the cutscene stutter, the best way I've found to minimize it is to disable VSync and force FastSync in the NVIDIA control panel. It doesn't completely go away but it's minimized greatly and FastSync takes care of screen tearing for the most part. CPU speed seems to effect it too, you might be able to brute force through the stuttering if your CPU is fast enough.

DrDaxxy

Neo Member
JaseC, a couple things regarding FAR:

- The current version includes configuration for loading ReShade.ReShade's dxgi.dll needs to be renamed to ReShade64.dll, but no import section needs to be added to FAR's dxgi.ini, since a correct one is already in there.
- Using FAR and RTSS together tends to lead to problems; I believe Kaldaien's currently working on increasing support again, but if people are getting crashes, performance issues, or FAR's OSD/control panel won't show up, this combination may be the cause.

Significantly improve GPU performance by adjusting the quality of global illumination: Download Kaldaien's Fix Automata Resolution tool via the automated installer and opt into the testing branch after installation. Doing so will automatically change the game's default global illumination quality from the needlessly-high 128 to 16, but you can set it to something else if you'd prefer. (Credit to Rayge and Kiru.)

- Switching to Testing branch is no longer necessary, the feature is included in Main.
- By default it won't set the quality to Low, it's kept at the game's default. One needs to manually turn it down in the control panel (Ctrl+Shift+Backspace).

jonjonaug

just booted the first 10 min. ran fine at 1440/60 on 980/25k 4.5, but damn the textures looked like shit.

The game's models and some of the textures are quite good, but others look like they're from a GCN/PS2 era game. There's this one texture on a box in the Resistance Camp that is the blurriest looking thing I've seen in a modern generation game.

Bloody hell

So this is better on PS4Pro? Wanted to PC this so bad :(

If you use something like Borderless Gaming for fullscreen and just use the AA that comes with the AO setting (don't turn on regular AA) it runs better than on PS4Pro with a decent to good rig. Looks about the same though unless you're running at a higher resolution than 1080p.

The game's models and some of the textures are quite good, but others look like they're from a GCN/PS2 era game. There's this one texture on a box in the Resistance Camp that is the blurriest looking thing I've seen in a modern generation game.

I'm sure it gets better! I literally just put in 10 min. I will come back once I am done with Zelda. I just wanted to test it out. but yeah ran great for me so far!

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
Bloody hell

So this is better on PS4Pro? Wanted to PC this so bad :(

I don't understand where you're getting this form. I played the whole thing on PS4Pro but moving to the PC version should be an intimidate improvement even without any mods or tweaking

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Also, I searched the OP for an SLI profile but I didn't find any, so perhaps JaseC can add it when he wakes up.

33589423336_f0869653e4_o.png
JaseC, a couple things regarding FAR:

- The current version includes configuration for loading ReShade.ReShade's dxgi.dll needs to be renamed to ReShade64.dll, but no import section needs to be added to FAR's dxgi.ini, since a correct one is already in there.
- Using FAR and RTSS together tends to lead to problems; I believe Kaldaien's currently working on increasing support again, but if people are getting crashes, performance issues, or FAR's OSD/control panel won't show up, this combination may be the cause.

- Switching to Testing branch is no longer necessary, the feature is included in Main.
- By default it won't set the quality to Low, it's kept at the game's default. One needs to manually turn it down in the control panel (Ctrl+Shift+Backspace).

Ta, updated.

Gbraga

I'm finally starting this for good!

Finished Night in the Woods and my 1060 arrived yesterday. As soon as I'm home from work I'll get started.

I'm going with borderless, vsync on and RTSS to lock it to 60 at first, to see if I'm ok with the performance, before lowering GI.

~Kinggi~

Banned
So what is the current state of this game with official patches vs unofficial hacks?

edit; so it seems like FAR is the only thing needed right now for both FS and AO fixes?

Top Bottom