• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nier: Automata PC performance thread

Finally picked up the game after work today. Installed FAR and at least up until i beat the first boss i was getting close to 60 fps most if not 99% of the time. Ill see how that holds up once i get further in.

One question though. Is there a way to make cutscenes 60fps?

Really digging the game so far. Especially the presentation and music.

Finally picked up the game after work today. Installed FAR and at least up until i beat the first boss i was getting close to 60 fps most if not 99% of the time. Ill see how that holds up once i get further in.

One question though. Is there a way to make cutscenes 60fps?

Really digging the game so far. Especially the presentation and music.
30 FPS video interpolated to 60 FPS is a sin against all decency.

But yes, there is a way to convert the video files. http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=890543121

No.

As those benchmarks show, it runs a bit better than on a PS4 Pro on a RX470 at slightly higher settings (With a 470 being slightly faster than a PS4 Pro).

Imo perf on nvidia is rather dire. 280x matching a 1060. 480 matching a 1080, furyx matching a 1080ti

Imo perf on nvidia is rather dire. 280x matching a 1060. 480 matching a 1080, furyx matching a 1080ti

I saw this and was pretty impressed with the performance of the AMD cards but the frame-times don't look too healthy for them unfortunately.

oQGIvcA.png
IuQUiE9.png

W5hLPsE.png
zq7GFT6.png

I saw this and was pretty impressed with the performance of the AMD cards but the frame-times don't look too healthy for them unfortunately.

Keep in mind the frametimes are with the FAR fix, which cause issues on AMD hardware. You can disable it to get normal frametimes.

Better AO, sure, absolutely. Though the AO algorithm used in the game is really quite good (it's SAO), it's just the resolution letting it down.
That should be easy enough to fix, but I won't have time to do that before mid-April. Maybe someone else will get to it. (In case anyone wants to give it a try: note that a 1-component 32 bit float buffer for depth is involved which is rendered to on each mip level, this one is then sampled in the main DoF pass which targets a RGBA8 buffer, and then there is a horizontal and a vertical depth-dependent blur pass on those. All these buffers are 800x450)

Anyway, I very strongly disagree about the colors. Every scene in the game looks like it's supposed to look in terms of overall lighting and color. I've seen some screenshots with ReShade or something increasing saturation, and I think they lose a lot of the very specifically designed atmosphere.

Pfft :p

This is probably a very stupid question, buuuuuuuut is it possible to force hbao trough nvidia control panel..?

I really wish Steam had a more thorough FPS tool that could give you something like a 99th percentile at 60fps figure over a set period of gameplay. So tired of the amount of bollocks/vague/exaggerated FPS figures people spout on forums.

Keep in mind the frametimes are with the FAR fix, which cause issues on AMD hardware. You can disable it to get normal frametimes.

Wow really? I didn't know that. Wow the AMD cards perform really well then, especially the legendary 7970 which was refreshed as the 280X!

Is the game playable in 60fps on highest settings with a GTX 970 in 1440p now?

I haven't been able to do that with my OC'd GTX 970, however I think I've seen other members post that they've been able to run the game at 1440p 60 fps, I'm not sure what settings they used though.

Ascheroth

Wow really? I didn't know that. Wow the AMD cards perform really well then, especially the legendary 7970 which was refreshed as the 280X!

I haven't been able to do that with my OC'd GTX 970, however I think I've seen other members post that they've been able to run the game at 1440p 60 fps, I'm not sure what settings they used though.
GI seems to be way more demanding/poorly optimized on NVidia cards for this game. NVidia people seem to get huge boosts by lowering GI somewhat which makes them perform on par with equivalent AMD cards, wheres AMD cards don't really benefit much from that (if at all).

Durante

All right, thanks everyone. I think I'll stick with the PS4 version in that case.
That makes some sense if you are talking about the PS4 Pro version. Not at all if you are talking about the PS4 non-Pro version though (which runs at 900p at significantly lowered settings, and commonly drops to 40something FPS).

Sändersson;233158571 said:
This is probably a very stupid question, buuuuuuuut is it possible to force hbao trough nvidia control panel..?
I don't know, but anyway forcing AO externally almost always messes something up in modern games.

I've successfully changed the AO resolution -- the actual algorithm is SAO which is really good:
pre4apf3.png

postwbop4.png

That makes some sense if you are talking about the PS4 Pro version. Not at all if you are talking about the PS4 non-Pro version though (which runs at 900p at significantly lowered settings, and commonly drops to 40something FPS).

I don't know, but anyway forcing AO externally almost always messes something up in modern games.

I've successfully changed the AO resolution -- the actual algorithm is SAO which is really good:
pre4apf3.png

postwbop4.png

I need this for my 2nd playthough. :D

Okay, thanks!

]http://abload.de/img/pre4apf3.png
http://abload.de/img/postwbop4.png

Looks great, is this something that we will be able to do with FAR in the future?

I need this for my 2nd playthough. :D

Yup!

pre4apf3.png

postwbop4.png

Damn, so it really is SAO ?

I wondered what could be the technique used here since the coverage was great despite the low res of the buffer, so I bet on something along the lines of AlchemyAO or SAO. Really really cool to see such a great technique, again especially in a japanese game. Their bilateral blur pass looks a bit rough however but I might be wrong.

I implemented it myself not so long ago and you can achieve some very nice results without too much effort.

I got the Pro. I think I'll take the slight hit in performance and graphical fidelity compared to my GTX 970 rig and hunt some trophies on Playstation.

ClearData

No word at all if any kind of performance patch is coming? I'm not holding my breath but it'd be nice to see more consistent performance. The judder from these 15-20 frame drops are so painful when otherwise I am loving the game.

Anyways, my gameplan today is to tone down globa lillumination with FAR and, should that fail, try borderless windowed gaming and see if either gets me to a locked 60 FPS.

Momentary

Banned
I think my save somehow glitched and I can't do finishing moves on stunned targets. Targets don't even get stunned anymore. Instead of getting stunned it looks like they just lose a significant amount of HP I stead of going into a stunned state.This started happening with 2B after the first hour or 2 of gameplay and I haven't been able to enjoy those bad ass moves ever since and now I'm already far into the ending C route. I use stun weapons and even try to wihittle targets down with the pods and it never works. I'm about to start the entire game back over because of this. I'm going to wait for this juicy AO and the official patch before starting this game again.

I started another game fresh and I don't have this issue...yet.

heringer

I think my save somehow glitched and I can't do finishing moves on stunned targets. Targets don't even get stunned anymore. Instead of getting stunned it looks like they just lose a significant amount of HP I stead of going into a stunned state.This started happening with 2B after the first hour or 2 of gameplay and I haven't been able to enjoy those bad ass moves ever since and now I'm already far into the ending C route. I use stun weapons and even try to wihittle targets down with the pods and it never works. I'm about to start the entire game back over because of this. I'm going to wait for this juicy AO and the official patch before starting this game again.

I started another game fresh and I don't have this issue...yet.

Now that you mention, I think it's been a dozen hours or so since I last stunned an enemy, lol.

pre4apf3.png

postwbop4.png

That's quite the improvement! I suppose it's pretty expensive at that resolution?

Momentary

Banned
Now that you mention, I think it's been a dozen hours or so since I last stunned an enemy, lol.

Yeah... It's like stun isn't working anymore in the game. I remember like it gradually started going away after playing for a few hours as 2B. Then by the end of 2B's game... no one was getting stunned. Which irks me because I was really enjoying the stylish finishes and kicking robots into walls.

I think I'm about to uninstall the game for a few months and just come back to it later. Hopefully things are ironed out by then.

NeoRaider

Do you guys think that it looks better with brightness on default 5/10 or 3/10 (only right icon visible).

nierautomata2017-04-0uuosd.png

nierautomata2017-04-0ppq3e.png

nierautomata2017-04-0lypkv.png

nierautomata2017-04-0hzrqh.png

nierautomata2017-04-06mrsd.png

nierautomata2017-04-0jwoli.png

Which one do you prefer. Default or lower brightness?

Is the bloom fix something that was present on consoles as well?

no.

consoles run their post-processing at 1/4 screen resolution. The issue on PC is that post-processing effects (like Bloom) were running at 800x450 resolution (1/4 of 1600x900) because they didn't change them to take into account that the PC version runs at a higher resolution than 1600x900.

Miker

no.

consoles run their post-processing at 1/4 screen resolution. The issue on PC is that post-processing effects (like Bloom) were running at 800x450 resolution (1/4 of 1600x900) because they didn't change them to take into account that the PC version runs at a higher resolution than 1600x900.

I see. So in theory it would've been noticeable had, say, the PS4 Pro run NieR at higher resolutions?

I see. So in theory it would've been noticeable had, say, the PS4 Pro run NieR at higher resolutions?

who can say.. they might have caught that issue on the console.. to me it just seems like an oversight.. they allowed for arbitrary resolution support on the PC but the other parts of the game didn't take that into account when it came to scaling resolution of effects, etc.

Anyone have issues launching this from Steam?

I have FAR installed and got that weird popup saying Denuvo was removed (which was an April Fool's Joke someone said?) and now the game won't launch.

Steam says it's running and I can see it in my task manager but nothing popping up. I can't find the game window screen anywhere, lol

Edit: Weird. I just had to run Nier.exe from the actual file location instead of through Steam.

Top Bottom