• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT11| Amonkhet - Have you ever had decks with a Pharaoh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Santiako

I still remember my games of:

Turn 1 - Jackal Pup
Turn 2 - Port your land
Turn 3 - Stone Rain/Pillage
Turn 4 - Stone Rain/Pillage + Wasteland

Fun times.

FYI, in the real world, Japan knew of naga from Chinese translations of Buddhist texts, which equated them with the Chinese dragon. As in, they are translated using the same word (pronounced lóng in Mandarin, ryū in modern Japanese), and considered the same thing. Indian stories about naga then came to shape how the Chinese and Japanese view dragons via Buddhist writings.

Huh! Learn something every day.

I keep thinking why are those aftermath effects so overcosted, then I remember that Flashback costs are overcosted too so I don't know.

Every time we have Flashback or a Flashback-esque mechanic it's the same routine: people looking at Flashback costs as if they're normal CMCs (and not zero-card-cost bonus effects you get after already getting a whole spell) and deciding that they're bad, probably. Then we spend six months actually playing with the cards and everyone suddenly remembers that Flashback Is Good Actually.

"Your opinion is just wrong." Funny because Maro himself believes that counterspell itself can come back to standard if the setting is right.

It's well established that Maro knows less about competitive balance than literally any poster in this thread and we're not exactly winning team constructed GPs in here.

In any case, my understanding about land destruction is that it was only ever good in an all-in deck that focused just on that. Cards like Stone Rain were rarely including in a deck that otherwise did different things. Land freezing seems like it's much easier to incidentally include on a spell, and thus can more easily be the part of a deck that doesn't go all-in on it.

Yeah, the issue with general-purpose land destruction is that even not very good LD hoses unoptimized decks super badly, but actually making it a competitive strategy involves giving people enough redundancy that they can consistently lock other decks out of playing altogether. Land lockdown is a tempo strategy so it's much easier to make good without having to be oppressive.

Yeef

I think Reduce to Rubble slots into the current UR Emerge deck pretty well. That deck is already looking to dump its hand and tap down lands with Elder Deep-Fiend anyway.

kirblar

I still remember my games of:

Turn 1 - Jackal Pup
Turn 2 - Port your land
Turn 3 - Stone Rain/Pillage
Turn 4 - Stone Rain/Pillage + Wasteland

Fun times.
I miss my games of

T1-Hierarch
T2-Boom/Bust using a fetch
T3- Bloodbraid into Boom/Bust casting Boom since I was already so far ahead on lands.

Ashodin

So we're working on a top secret project to catalog all packs side-by-side for their pack art because there's no tool out there to determine what packs there are in Wal-mart or wherever repacks are sold (those three pack selections with promo cards in them).

The idea is to have a site that you can instantly identify what you have so you know you found something rare.

Violet_0

Banned
I don't think these have been posted yet?
e: I don't know where you normally get the images from
dddsaefj02.png

also grats Ashodin you guessed correctly with the pyramid :}

noquarter

So we're working on a top secret project to catalog all packs side-by-side for their pack art because there's no tool out there to determine what packs there are in Wal-mart or wherever repacks are sold (those three pack selections with promo cards in them).

The idea is to have a site that you can instantly identify what you have so you know you found something rare.
Aren't they pretty easy to tell apart already? I guess M15 and Avacyn restored might be harder to differentiate, but everything else is pretty easy.

Good luck with the project though!

Ashodin

Im having trouble figuring out if that Pyramid is good. It seems like it could be?

It's slower than you think, but Snek decks can make it tap for three mana fast. Dies to a lot of artifact hate though.

Also if there's ANY hope for equipment in the set, it's likely to be ONE artifact and this is likely the culprit:

weapons10.jpg

In the number crunch, there's room for "Khopesh" between Kefnet's Monument and Oketra's Monument.

It's slower than you think, but Snek decks can make it tap for three mana fast. Dies to a lot of artifact hate though.

It basically only costs you one Mana per turn for 3 turns before you get to explode, and it color filters at the same time. Seems like a slam dunk for any deck that isn't super aggressive.

I wish I knew Standard better so I could evaluate this easier.

Also, that camel says "When this ETB, destroy target Planeswalker"

That Pyramid seems really good. I mean, I don't think it will be the best card in the set, but it's definitely something I could see Improvise decks toying around with.

octobot

readyrumble.jpg

"Ready // Rumble"
XG // XRR
Instant // Sorcery
Ready

Ready deals X damage to each creature with flying.

Rumble

Aftermath (Cast this spell only from your graveyard. Then exile it.)

Rumble deals X damage to each creature without flying.

OnPoint

It basically only costs you one Mana per turn for 3 turns before you get to explode, and it color filters at the same time. Seems like a slam dunk for any deck that isn't super aggressive.

I wish I knew Standard better so I could evaluate this easier.

Also, that camel says "When this ETB, destroy target Planeswalker"

If the PW has justone counter, sure?

I initially recoiled at the name "Ready/Rumble" but then realized I would love to slam that card down like all the time just because of the name

Yeef

I initially recoiled at the name "Ready/Rumble" but then realized I would love to slam that card down like all the time just because of the name
That's probably not the actual name. Each half of a split card has to have a unique English name. All of the names that have been speculated (Ready to Rumble, Down to Earth, Fall to Earth) aren't valid because they've already been used on split card before.

Descend to Earth is the only one I've seen that doesn't actually overlap.

My crusade against the poor naming conventions for Aftermath cards continues:

"Heaven" does not work by itself as a name for the effect of that card, nor, honestly, does "Earth". Each half of the split card is supposed to have a name appropriate for its individual effect.

Ashodin

man that's a neat card. Fliers got you down? Nuke 'em.

Board shitty? Drop it in the GY for G. Nuke the board later. I like that it's a threat in the GY that the player has to now play around.

Ashodin

I'm going to GP Richmond for Amonkhet Sealed in May.

OnPoint: Herald of Life? yeah it's faker than breast implants.

Also the reddit's decision to call it Heckbent is stupid and inane

I'm calling it Nearbent. Because you are near Hellbent.

Nah man, I'm sure they're going to be super fine and transition into a post-feudal magical utopia. That always happens in fantasy Egypt settings.

OnPoint

I swear, why do y'all always post stuff like this instead of actually linking or providing useful information about where the thing is
I thought the proper move would be to not show it since fake cards during spoiler season is a no no. Next time I'll provide a labeled link, sorry.

Lucario

Deem Worthy might be playable in Gearhulk decks, depending on which threats you're worried about. Flashing back to donk something for 7 after an uncounterable 2-for-1 is reasonable.

Shefet Monitor is outstanding. Instant speed uncounterable ramp that provides CA and leaves a fat lizard in the graveyard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom