• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

alt-right folks brigaded 2064: ROM w negative reviews on metacritic, devs isn't happy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dueck

Banned
They got all political and suffered a backlash. I do not feel sorry for them. If they had remained neutral and were attacked unfairly, I can see it, but they basically asked for a response.

Also, maybe some people don't like it?

They got all political and suffered a backlash. I do not feel sorry for them. If they had remained neutral and were attacked unfairly, I can see it, but they basically asked for a response.

Some people surely don't like it, but my prediction is that if that were the case to this extent, it would be spread out, not concentrated almost entirely.

Also, to clarify, if the devs got death threats, it would be their fault?

docbon

How does the image in the OP even constitute as brigading when there were only 37 total reviews scattered around January and February? If there was a coordinated effort to bring down the score, it would be much more obvious.

Tain

developer professionalism is the single most important thing to me when talking about low-budget point-and-click adventure games

how dare these guys sully the time-honored tradition of Tweeting Online

Phocks

Yeah guys, who cares that neo-nazis have taken over the White House? This game dev didn't provide SERVICE with a SMILE!
Always with this nazi/facist narrative. Next thing I know you'll be clamoring for antifa support. All of this shit is moronic and bullshit.

Neutrality is not some optimal state of being

Always with this nazi/facist narrative. Next thing I know you'll be clamoring for antifa support. All of this shit is moronic and bullshit.

Congrats on your "both sides are the same!" boring garbage I guess but this is Neogaf, not the South Park forums.

Some day you're gonna realize politics actually are more important than video games, believe it or not.

Costia

Congrats on your "both sides are the same!" boring garbage I guess but this is Neogaf, not the South Park forums.

Some day you're gonna realize politics actually are more important than video games, believe it or not.
Dude.
Neo-nazis have taken over the white house?
Are you for real?

LiK

Metacritic user reviews are worthless. People have given games 0/10 before it even came out. They shouldn't even need to care about it.

LordKasual

Banned
The Alt-Right, everyone's new favorite boogieman for increasing profits and creating publicity through victimization.

At what point will people realize that all of this virtue signaling is nothing more than an attempt to increase sales through the publicity created in outrage culture and oppression olympics?

Assholes on the right will have bigoted responses and complaints. Assholes on the left will have bigoted complaints and responses. The internet will sensationalize it, opinions become intolerant litmus tests, bubbles divide us into safe spaces that fuel extreme opinions, and we all forget that our love for games is what brings us together.

We're all manipulated into hating each other over a video game just so some assholes can make a little more money.

Don't be a pawn.

lol okay all joking aside

i like to observe the things people do/say in order to maybe find out how they think

After reading the most hateful, disgusting shit on the internet from places considered "alt-right", and then reading some of the most extreme, passionate responses from people in places like GAF

the only real difference is the curriculum. "Fuck those guys over there, they're the absolute enemy" is pretty much the engine of both sides...and the path they take to get there is virtually identical too. And since neither side sees the other as human, common ground isn't even allowed to exist.

...mkay rumination over, carry on guys

i like to observe the things people do/say in order to maybe find out how they think

After reading the most hateful, disgusting shit on the internet from places considered "alt-right", and then reading some of the most extreme, passionate responses from people in places like GAF

the only real difference is the curriculum. "Fuck those guys over there, they're the absolute enemy" is pretty much the engine of both sides...and the path they take to get there is virtually identical too. And since neither side sees the other as human, common ground isn't even allowed to exist.

Well, no, there can't be a common ground between "racism is ok" and "racism isn't ok".

Snagret

It's something brands are doing these days, same with Ben & Jerry's and their BLM message, does anyone actually believe they support it? Lol, it generates some positive feedback, some easily tricked people will buy more ice-cream (and get fat) and that's about it.
We're talking about an incredibly small team of developers, that happen to be the organizers for the largest LGBT-focused gaming con currently running, who made a game with a very strong political message. This isn't fucking ice cream, they aren't suddenly trotting out a political agenda and trying to sloppily associate it with an apolitical product. They created art with a very clear message behind it, and unless you have proof that this single tweet was some cynical collusion to sell more copies then I'd say the accusation is pretty fuckin' gross dude.

Hasn't this game been out for years? Who cares about user reviews? Instead of asking for your supporters to brigade the user review section to counteract trolls brigading the user review section, the devs should concern themselves with their next project, or at least finishing the long delayed Vita version of 2064.
Yes, shut up devs, get back to work! *cracks whip*

Neutrality is not some optimal state of being

When it comes to a product being marketed and sold, the question is whether taking a public stance will gain you more sales than it loses, which can sometimes be partially gleaned from market research. It's possible that for certain cases, neutrality is that product's optimal state of being. In other cases it's not.

And before this goes beyond sales, it's important to note that this particular event seems like a baldfaced attempt to drum up sales/attention, given that any negative bombardment was over by the start of February. They waited nearly 3 months to highlight this, at a point when their game had been abandoned by all media. This specific case isn't about foregoing neutrality for a good cause so much as it's about leveraging that non-neutrality to garner attention and hopefully sales.

Do you know what congress is? They cant even repeal obamacare.

True, though there are these things called Executive Orders. Congress sure as shit isn't going to be challenging any of those, that's all through the courts. If anything is impeding Bannon and his ilk it's that they severity underestimated the power of D.C.'s bureaucrats who know the system and can drown them in paperwork.

I would argue that being complicit with a ban on people entering the country based on their ethnicity is a little more fascist than trying to repeal a healthcare bill.

SChUNCY.png

Snagret

Yeah, funny how it's difficult to find common ground with people who are actively fighting to strip away your rights, or in many cases defending groups that actively advocate violence against you simply because of your status as a minority.

Phocks

Right back at you with the same bullshit trying to polarize people into joining your extreme.

People are pointing at a fascist administration and saying "look, fascists." You make this seem like a controversial thing.
Yeah not gonna try to defend Trump Administration. It's a fair criticism but when it turns into "the white house is controlled by neo-nazis" I stop being able to follow.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk

How the fuck does this invalidate the point? Trump has done a shitton of damage already via executive orders, most notably with regards to climate change, revoking worker protections, gutting all departments except defense, cutting funding for sanctuary cities, undoing Wall Street regulations put in place after the 2008 crash, etc.

Yeah not gonna try to defend Trump Administration. It's a fair criticism but when it turns into "the white house is controlled by neo-nazis" I stop being able to follow.
Again: do you know who Steve Bannon is?

Is there any actual evidence that this was brigaded? Its something that's bugging me.I've always found user scores to be more trustworthy than anything else honestly.
I can't forgive reviewers for their treatment of the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon series or Nier (and even if they don't like the games, Explorers of Sky being rated the worst of them all?), and I've always found that if game reviewers are giving scores in the low 70s and 60s, then it likely means that the game is actually more along the lines of being a genuinely bad game. Reviewers are too forgiving in my opinion. It also goes along the other side of things; I don't like how game reviewers typically treat Neptunia games and other games like them as poorly as they do. I think a lot of game reviewers are very unfair to a lot of Japanese games in general even, typically favoring AAA Western titles, and due to the kind of games I like, I can't trust reviewers at all.

I feel like for the majority of games user reviews are generally more accurate for the enjoyability of a game experience than reviewers are.

Totally agree, I've always found that user scores lines up much more with my view on gaming than critic scores. I think in the personality driven era of gaming I've probably discovered that a significant chunk of game reviewers appear less invested in the hobby than I would consider myself or have their interests and knowledge in different genres to the ones I care about, which isn't ideal. There are only so many Ben Moores out there unfortunately.
I find it weird as well when people like in this thread proclaim user scores to be worthless and deserving of being ignored. What sort of person would proclaim something like "The views of myself and people like me are worthless". I guess it stems from a viewpoint of considering that the average gamer is a child or a basement dweller with disingenuous intent which doesn't seem like a healthy or constructive viewpoint in my opinion.

Right back at you with the same bullshit trying to polarize people into joining your extreme.

But what exactly is the issue you take? Why is an administration that takes Steve Bannon into its fold not qualifying as a Neo-Nazi one? The man is an abhorrent ass.

You already ARE defending the Trump administration. You're sitting here accusing people of being extremists for saying that an administration is fascist while it hires lead advisors who have a history of calling people "renegade Jews." They are complicit in that reputation, and now you are too. Congrats! *toooooooot*

I still hate this comic. The BLM one was on point back in the day but this has just lost the plot.

It's completely possible, even necessary, to disagree with the methods of an ally without joining the enemy. You can call out shitty behavior without defending even worse behavior. Not everyone who admonishes you is an enemy spy; sometimes it's for your own good, or for the good of your shared ideology.

fade_

I went to the steam page to see what this game is about and it's already in library. Is there a steam sale addict anonymous group I can join.

It's something brands are doing these days, same with Ben & Jerry's and their BLM message, does anyone actually believe they support it? Lol, it generates some positive feedback, some easily tricked people will buy more ice-cream (and get fat) and that's about it.
If Ben & Jerry's doesn't support Black Lives Matter and did it as a publicity stunt, why bother writing all this?

Why go to the effort of Ben and Jerry going to protests and get arrested?

Why Ben and Jerry Just Got Arrested

Earlier today, our cofounders, Jerry Greenfield and Ben Cohen, along with hundreds of other activists, were arrested as part of Democracy Awakening's direct action on the steps of the U.S. Capitol Building.

JUST BEFORE THEY WERE ARRESTED

We spoke to them just before it happened. ”The history of our country is that nothing happens," said Ben, ”until people start putting their bodies on the line and risk getting arrested."

NOT SHY ABOUT TAKING A STAND

Of course, over the years Ben & Jerry's hasn't been shy about taking a stand on issues that we care about, even when they're controversial. You could say that our passion for social justice has been baked right into everything we've ever done. We launched Save Our Swirled last year to bring awareness to climate change. In honor of the Supreme Court's decision last summer to recognize the right of all couples to marry, we changed the name of Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough to I Dough, I Dough.​

Ben & Jerry's - Why Black lives matter.

Black lives matter.

They matter because they are children, brothers, sisters, mothers, and fathers.

They matter because the injustices they face steal from all of us — white people and people of color alike. They steal our very humanity.

Systemic and institutionalized racism are the defining civil rights and social justice issues of our time. We've come to understand that to be silent about the violence and threats to the lives and well-being of Black people is to be complicit in that violence and those threats.

We ask you to join us in not being complicit.

There is good news: the first step in overcoming systemic racism and injustice is to simply understand and admit that there is a problem. It's trying to understand the perspective of others whose experiences are different from our own. To not just listen, but to truly understand those whose struggle for justice is real, and not yet complete.

Rev. Dr. William J. Barber, II, President of the North Carolina NAACP, said it best when reacting to the recent police shooting in Charlotte, NC. He said, ”Our objective is simple: to ensure justice-loving people act toward justice, with all evidence, and that we stand together and act from a place of power and love, rather than out of fear and anger."

It's been hard to watch the list of unarmed Black Americans killed by law enforcement officers grow longer and longer. We understand that numerous Black Americans and white Americans have profoundly different experiences and outcomes with law enforcement and the criminal justice system. That's why it's become clear to us at Ben & Jerry's that we have a moral obligation to take a stand now for justice and for Black lives.

We want to be clear: we believe that saying Black lives matter is not to say that the lives of those who serve in the law enforcement community don't. We respect and value the commitment to our communities that those in law enforcement make, and we respect the value of every one of their lives.

But we do believe that — whether Black, brown, white, or blue — our nation and our very way of life is dependent on the principle of all people being served equal justice under the law. And it's clear, the effects of the criminal justice system are not color blind.

We do not place the blame for this on individual officers. Rather, we believe it is due to the systemic racism built into the fabric of our institutions at every level, disadvantaging and discriminating against people of color in ways that go beyond individual intent to discriminate. For this reason, we are not pointing fingers at individuals; we are instead urging us to come together to better our society and institutions so that we may finally fulfill the founding promise of this country: to be a country with dignity and justice for all.

All lives do matter. But all lives will not matter until Black lives matter.

We ask people to be open to understanding these issues, and not to reflexively retreat to our current beliefs. Change happens when people are willing to listen and hear the struggles of their neighbor, putting aside preconceived notions and truly seeking to understand and grow. We'll be working hard on that, and ask you to as well.

- Your friends at Ben & Jerry's​

And then have more articles written about it on their site?

Ben & Jerry's - 7 Ways We Know Systemic Racism Is Real

6 Countries You Didn't Expect Were Helping Millions of Refugees

Join Us For The People's Climate March!

The US Disenfranchises People Unlike Any Other Country, This Guy Is Proof

10 Inspirational Signs in Honor of the Women's Strike

ben_and_jerry_s_issues_by_digi_matrix-db6aqx1.png

I get why you think some corporations do some slactivist political gestures to curry public favour, like what Pepsi disastrously did with recently, but the proof of evidence is on you if you want to call Ben and Jerry's fake in their politics.

Phocks

But what exactly is the issue you take? Why is an administration that takes Steve Bannon into its fold not qualifying as a Neo-Nazi one? The man is an abhorrent ass.
I concede again, that is also a fair point. Steve Bannon is worrying. I have issue with people justifying their actions with logic such as "well they're NAZIS though." The ROM devs are being idiots trying to draw publicity to their game because if you follow it at all you know it hasn't done particularly amazing.

You already ARE defending the Trump administration. You're sitting here accusing people of being extremists for saying that an administration is fascist while it hires lead advisors who have a history of calling people "renegade Jews." They are complicit in that reputation, and now you are too. Congrats! *toooooooot*
Not people plural, only you because of the way you're posting. It's wrong of me to make assumptions though.

I find it weird as well when people like in this thread proclaim user scores to be worthless and deserving of being ignored. What sort of person would proclaim something like "The views of myself and people like me are worthless". I guess it stems from a viewpoint of considering that the average gamer is a child or a basement dweller with disingenuous intent which doesn't seem like a healthy or constructive viewpoint in my opinion.

Ah but the thing is, I don't leave user reviews, and people like me don't leave them either. (Because if they did leave reviews...that would make them unlike me.)

I recognize that it amounts to a fart in the wind, like commenting on Youtube or random news articles.

People who go to the internet to review things, whether on Metacritic or Yelp, are either particularly in love with that thing, or despise it. Most reviews are either 0 or 10. People who were merely satisfied with their local restaurant's service aren't going to feel strongly enough to go online and review it. And that means many reviews are bound to be skewed.

horkrux

Straight up telling people to 'fuck off' is probably the worst way to involve politics in whatever it is that you do... like, advertising a game in this case.

I still hate this comic. The BLM one was on point back in the day but this has just lost the plot.

It's completely possible, even necessary, to disagree with the methods of an ally without joining the enemy. You can call out shitty behavior without defending even worse behavior. Not everyone who admonishes you is an enemy spy; sometimes it's for your own good, or for the good of your shared ideology.

That's not what the comic is. The comic is talking about people who want people to be reasonable and to be centrist in this political landscape, while ignoring that one side has been radicalized to extremes through white nationalism, and therefore, implying a certain degree of acceptability to these radical ideas.

I liked these 2046 folks doing this as it's yet another exposure of all the "snowflake" and "cuck" talk from alt-right ragehogs as the projectionism that it is.

Straight up telling people to 'fuck off' is probably the worst way to involve politics in whatever it is that you do... like, advertising a game in this case.
Donald Trump literally advocated violence against protestors and his opponent. You are arguing that we be reasonable with people who have no interest in doing the same.

What sort of person would proclaim something like "The views of myself and people like me are worthless". I guess it stems from a viewpoint of considering that the average gamer is a child or a basement dweller with disingenuous intent which doesn't seem like a healthy or constructive viewpoint in my opinion.
Because that's not what "user scores" actually mean, if you want to see genuine critiques and opinions go in things like GAF LTTP threads or preview threads. User scores are very frequently brigaded, both positively and negatively.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
We've very much lost the plot in this thread and the plot was a bit fuzzy to begin with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom