• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nier: Automata PC performance thread

Jesus, can't believe this is still going on. Have Platinum/Square actually addressed these tech issues? Really want to play this (no PS4), but 80 bucks CAD for something that I need to jury-rig into acceptability is absurd.

KScorp

You can roll back drivers, though. I agree you shouldn't have to, and I understand people who say they refuse to, but it's not completely unplayable.

Can't AMD fix this as well if a previous driver works fine? Doesn't that indicate it's something they changed that made it unplayable?

Nvidia is no stranger to new drivers breaking things, so I guess I just got used to this kind of bullshit.

EDIT: Like, on consoles people had to delete their patches and stop the game from uploading, or the english text becomes fucked (I think this was fixed this week, though). They also shouldn't have to do this, especially on a console, where it's not expected from the user to know how to do this kind of thing, but it's either that or not playing. It's fine if you choose not to play it out of principle, but it's not something that can't be fixed.

It's completely unplayable for a lot of people that have an Nvidia 700 series card (myself included). On any driver.

Just because a game works with older drivers only doesn't mean it's the driver's issue. Shitty ports use a lot of hacks to get their console games working on a PC with as little work as possible, hacks which may or may not work on different hardware, and may or may not work when new drivers come out.

Banned
Even at 1440p60 maxed out this game looks low quality. Washed out? I feel like it's not crisp enough or the AA method they use is garbage. And not having a draw distance option is asinine. It's so low on PC.

Kvik

Man, Kaldaien is a fast worker. Frametimes is better now.

33519237333_af37e9dc37_o.jpg

Can't help feeling that uncapping the framerate and using his limiter yielded a more consistent times, though.

Its 16.7ms still, so it's playable, but.. dunno. Can't put a finger on it.

EDIT: Welp. my GSync is disabled? :-\

The Dude

Maybe someone has an idea. I see all these issues mentioned, my issue is that the game runs and looks great... Frames are locked at 60 but I'm getting slight stuttering at moments, running an Aorus 1080 ti and I just can't figure it out. Maybe there's no fix atm but I've tried a ton of things and while it's not unplayable, it's noticeable.

tuxfool

Banned
Maybe someone has an idea. I see all these issues mentioned, my issue is that the game runs and looks great... Frames are locked at 60 but I'm getting slight stuttering at moments, running an Aorus 1080 ti and I just can't figure it out. Maybe there's no fix atm but I've tried a ton of things and while it's not unplayable, it's noticeable.

Not much you can do, the game has stutters in all versions.

Coreda

You can download the previous version of the game by opening Steam's developer console and typing in download_depot 524220 524221 5957457901932186850. The game data will download to Steam\SteamApps\content\app_524220\depot_524221. Unfortunately, there's no progress indicator, however you'll see a "Depot download complete" message in the console once, uh, the depot download is complete.

Woah, woah, what. Hold on, how many versions back can this be used to download from for Steam games in general? Asking as there are some games that I'd love to be able to revert back to a specific, older version.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Woah, woah, what. Hold on, how many versions back can this be used to download from for Steam games in general? Asking as there are some games that I'd love to be able to revert back to a specific, older version.

As far back as you want, provided you can grab the relevant manifest ID from SteamDB. Steam assigns one to every build.

Coreda

As far back as you want, provided you can grab the relevant manifest ID from SteamDB. Steam assigns one to every build update.

Oh my GOD. Found the full guide and Imgur album of steps and discovered I can download the earlier version of MGSV I've always regretted not creating a back-up of.

rejoice.png
rejoice.png
rejoice.png

Gotta try this soon. Wonder if Denuvo will cause a fuss.

JaseC

Oh my GOD. Found the full guide and Imgur album of steps and discovered I can download the earlier version of MGSV I've always regretted not creating a back-up of.

rejoice.png
rejoice.png
rejoice.png

Gotta try this soon. Wonder if Denuvo will cause a fuss.

One thing the guide doesn't mention is that if a game splits its data across a variety of depots and you're not sure which ones you need, you can open the corresponding ACF file in the root of the SteamApps directory to see which ones you have installed. They're just text files, so Wordpad will do.

The fact that you can manually redownload a previous version of a game means it'd be relatively easy for Valve to implement rollback functionality into the client. I actually thought that was going to happen in the not-too-distant future back when Valve added timestamps to build updates, but alas here we are just over 13 months later and no such luck.

Lumine

It's completely unplayable for a lot of people that have an Nvidia 700 series card (myself included). On any driver.

Just because a game works with older drivers only doesn't mean it's the driver's issue. Shitty ports use a lot of hacks to get their console games working on a PC with as little work as possible, hacks which may or may not work on different hardware, and may or may not work when new drivers come out.

Ugh, so it's still unplayable on a 780 after the new patch? I was kind of hoping I could finally start it this weekend. I'd rather not waste my time and have the game completely lock up on me 30+ min. into the tutorial. Again.

I'm usually hesitant calling something a "bad port." Especially after seeing so many posts on this forum where they call something "shit" and it turns out they just put everything on "ultra" and assume it should run on their PC at 60+ fps even though those settings go far beyond the console version and are meant for a more powerful PC than they have.

However if it's seemingly impossible to even get through the tutorial and reach the first save point on a popular videocard that's more powerful than a PS4 even after a patch that took well over a month since the game's release... I'm not sure what else to call it.

Coreda

Why do you need an old version of MGSV?

It irked me a good deal the UI changes in v1.07, despite being insignificant to most. Konami ruined the consistency of the typefaces in both the iDroid and sortie prep and the original balance of Time/GMP/Heroism counters. For most players this wasn't much to be fazed by but it did get to me, mostly the counters balance since it's constantly in your face as a visual reminder of Konami's slap-dash meddling. Glad I can have a copy of the original version.

Khrae

Any AMD GPU users here? I'm thinking about getting it, but so far I've only heard complaints from Nvidia users.

I have a 480, got white screen bug 15mins in, seems fairly common from some of the -ve reviews. I just refunded it, as I thought I'd wait for a patch, still waiting as well.

I just read the white screen issues too. Does it affect only AMD GPU users, or only those with a Polaris line of GPUs (470/480). I have an R9 Nano.

Seen people complain about it for both

sfried

I have a 480, got white screen bug 15mins in, seems fairly common from some of the -ve reviews. I just refunded it, as I though I'd wait for a patch, still waiting as well.

I just read the white screen issues too. Does it affect only AMD GPU users, or only those with a Polaris line of GPUs (470/480). I have an R9 Nano.

Ascheroth

Err, yes they did? There are many people, especially in the early pages of the thread calling it that.

And it's hardly a "good port period." really. The person you're quoting is reacting to an issue that makes the game flat out unplayable on certain cards that are less than a year old. Hardly a minor issue.

If this were the usual bullshit Koei Tecmo musou game there wouldn't be nearly as many people going so hard into the paint to defend it.
I called it a good port (but technically troubled on every platform) when it came out and I stand by that.
The fullscreen bug was minor, some problems with certain card/driver combinations, the occasinal cutscene stuttering. Nothing really unusual for a launch and things that usually get patched soon and that's that.
Now this is the problem. Those issues were okay as launch issues, but not having had a single patch that adressed any of those in over a month is unacceptable.

Coreda

If Steam has already detected the update, then your only option is to let it download and then download the previous version of the game manually. Otherwise, you can run Steam in Offline Mode.

One method I discovered when a game doesn't allow you to launch even in Offline mode due to it detecting an update (with its message about preventing launch until it's updated) is to open Steam but launch the game directly from the executable. Tried this with two games IIRC.

The fact that you can manually redownload a previous version of a game means it'd be relatively easy for Valve to implement rollback functionality into the client. I actually thought that was going to happen in the not-too-distant future back when Valve added timestamps to build updates, but alas here we are just over 13 months later and no such luck.

It has even better version history than GOG. That's the most surprising thing about this. My guess is they want to keep it as-is to simplify issue reports for devs.

JaseC

One method I discovered when a game doesn't allow you to launch even in Offline mode due to it detecting an update (with its message about preventing launch until it's updated) is to open Steam but launch the game directly from the executable. Tried this with two games IIRC.

That doesn't work with games that use CEG, unfortunately, since the executable is tethered to the client, so attempts to run it directly just get rerouted to Steam.

Got gifted this game for my birthday today and was completely oblivious to the issues, all I can say is WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS SHIT? I've played through the opening 20-30 minutes a total of 5 times now with it crashing every single time and having to start from scratch ever time because the game tells you: 'Lol you can save yet. we'll tell you how to do that later'.

Possibly the most broken PC game I've ever *tried* to play.

~Kinggi~

Banned
So what happened, new patch broke FAR? I havent tried this yet but id like to at least play it eventually when its working properly. They better patch actual fixes soon.

An updated FAR patch has already been released. Autoupdates when launching the game.
So far the game hasn't even crashed once on my setup, thankfully. Not much of a surprise since I'm using a fairly new Nvidia card (GTX 1080).

I even managed to sort out my PS4 controllers problems by enabling "Hide DS4 Controller" in the DS4Windows settings. Before doing that the game frequently went into windows mode when using certain button combinations.

I installed F.A.R and downloaded an update. I noticed dynamic shadows/lighting but then I think it disappeared? Or it was place specific. I am not sure honestly; does F.A.R enable dynamic shadows or something similar? Could it be G.I? I don't remember doing anything with F.A.R to be honest. I uninstalled it because there were some issues on startup and I didn't want to play on fullscreen because of screen tearing.

big fake

Guys I started the game today and installed all the precautionary software (FAR, borderless screening) and I seem to be getting weird frame drops from 60 fps to around early 50's walking around the green open parts early in the game. Is this the patch fucking up FAR? Or is there something going wrong?

My build is GTX 1060 6GB. i5 6600k. Highest settings, effects, shadows, AO ON, MSAA off, blur off. Running at 1080p.

Any ideas?

Pixieking

Banned
http://steamcommunity.com/app/524220/discussions/0/135512104777399045/?ctp=404#c1319962514591814080

Kaldaien [has NieR:Automata™] 1 hour ago
Ugh!

<---- Dumbass :)

I just discovered that after integrating Durante's code for bloom, I blew a giant hole in the code that I use to backup and restore D3D11 render state. Effectively, I have been backing up the state _AFTER_ it is modified by his code. I should have been bypassing his code for state backup.

ReShade's still leaking depth for some unknown reason, that's unrelated (and happens even without my mod in-place), but this certainly isn't good :p

I have a few modifications to ReShade for D3D11.1+ compatibility in the works, by the way. So glad this thing is open source now - certain things about it have been bugging me for years and I've had to break my own software to support it.

People who have been having crashes: have you been using ReShade, even without FAR?

sfried

Playing this game in spurts now. Using VSR to downsample from 2732x1536 to 1366x768 (native res) and installed FAR (setting it at 60.00000 FPS framecap since its my monitor's refresh rate). All settings are on their highest save for MSAA, which I disabled on purpose since I'm downscaling.

Certain cutscenes seem to lock at 30FPS, which I'm fine with considering Bayonetta does this too, but it feels even more inconsistent here for some reason. Usually the jump to 60FPS happens during the cut that eventually leads into gameplay, but I've seen a lot of notable exceptions where it just plays 60 whenever it can.

Pooya

Maybe that bug is the cause of my issue with FAR. The game starts up fine but after you play for like 1 hour or so it slows down to slide show in some parts. I have to restart the game for it to go back to normal. Like some kind of memory leak but I have plenty VRAM left. Looking at the stats when that happens the game is pushing pci express bus hard for no reason. This never happens if I delete FAR.

ezodagrom

I'm so lost

Like, is it supposed to run absolutely terrible out of the box? Gunna try some mods
Depends on what you mean by terrible, what kind of PC you have and what resolution you're trying to play at.
It's important to take into consideration that the PS4 Pro version runs at 1080p/60 with framerate drops, a comparable graphics card on PC doesn't run much different than that at 1080p as well.

Izuna

Banned
Depends on what you mean by terrible, what kind of PC you have and what resolution you're trying to play at.
It's important to take into consideration that the PS4 Pro version runs at 1080p/60 with framerate drops, a comparable graphics card on PC doesn't run much different than that at 1080p as well.

I'm installing the Nier Resolution fix thingie mod rn

I have 6700HQ and 1070 in a laptop. It ran like 20fps in the menu...

If it's meant to be like that without mods that's insane

EDIT: nvm, that happens if my charger isn't plugged in

It's fucking disgusting that PG really just released the game and forgot about it. All the work they were doing really was just for the dlc. I don't think they'll ever release a patch to fix even a few things.

Izuna

Banned
I think I got a locked 60fps going with this fix ;)

I mean, I get micro stutters every now and then but that could be because of the 8gb ram which I'm changing soon. Otherwise, I am VERY happy with this.

I'm going to inject SMAA now
edit: fuck smaa injector removed the mod...

It's fucking disgusting that PG really just released the game and forgot about it. All the work they were doing really was just for the dlc. I don't think they'll ever release a patch to fix even a few things.

pffffft

look at ReCore.

Pixieking

Banned
So I have a GTX970 and 16GB RAM. Will this run good enough?

What's your CPU, what res do you play at, and what do you class as "good enough"?

You'll probably (CPU dependent) be able to run it at 1080p/60fps, using FAR to drop down some of the default heavier settings. Faster than 60fps may be possible, but since it breaks the game at certain points, there's little point in it.

sanstesy

What's your CPU, what res do you play at, and what do you class as "good enough"?

You'll probably (CPU dependent) be able to run it at 1080p/60fps, using FAR to drop down some of the default heavier settings. Faster than 60fps may be possible, but since it breaks the game at certain points, there's little point in it.

i5-4590. I play most games at 1080p60fps. What is FAR?

Top Bottom