• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nier: Automata PC performance thread

KScorp

Well, I guess I'll wait for a sale and see what I can do in two hours before refunding it. Some of the fan fixes look good but I don't have many hopes if there is some fundamental problem my card will give the game.

Probably your best bet. To be fair, in the 700 series it seems the 780 and 780 Ti were the most plagued with issues, so the game might be complete-able on a 750, even if there are still occasional crashes. The fan fixes do nothing to fix this issue yet.

I got a new video card over the weekend, and the game runs amazing now, minus cutscenes which like to stutter or play at low FPS.

sfried

Hm so as an AMD user I should get PS4 version?
I have an R9 Nano. Got this game and have no issues running it. It even supports VSR right out of the box for downsampling goodness.

I do use FAR to get rid of aforemention cutscene stutters (occurs during FMV sequences). Playing at 2732x1536 with everything on Max save for anti-aliasing which is turned off since downscaling results in a nice crisp 60fps experience, which can sometimes be jarring at times when they do playback a prerecorded FMV sequence since you can really tell the difference in quality (real-time looks way better).

So yeah, no question about ditching PS4 version.

DrDaxxy

Neo Member
There's been some reports that pinning the game to one core works around the white-screen crashes.

If there's anyone still here getting those crashes regularly, could I bother you to try starting the game, alt-tabbing out, pinning it to one core, then playing for a few hours and seeing if it still crashes?

Note that this will cause performance issues if that one core can't keep up. If it works it's very much a band-aid. Please don't add to OP yet, because the suggestion comes from pirate threads (so it may be localized to crack-related crashes) and could be placebo.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
And I JUST uninstalled the game, lol.
Thanks, AMD. Thanks for doing what Square Enix could not be bothered to do.

Yeah, glad it should be fixed, but I'm still annoyed that SE/Platinum can't be assed to support their games post-release with anything except releasing DLC.

OmegaX

AMD 17.5.2 has listed a fix for the crash issue, I think some here might be happy about that. I don't own the game myself so I can't test.

http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-art...mson-ReLive-Edition-17.5.2-Release-Notes.aspx
I can confirm too that the bug seems to be fixed. I played for 46 minutes straight until I could finally save with no crashes at all. My card is an RX 480. I set everything to max except for AA which was disabled in the game, global illumination was set to High and AO and Bloom were set to native using FAR. Before this driver, I could play at most 20 minutes setting everything to low.

Yeah, glad it should be fixed, but I'm still annoyed that SE/Platinum can't be assed to support their games post-release with anything except releasing DLC.
Some nVidia cards are still affected so let's hope they get a new driver too, because we know SE/Platinum won't fix their damn game. At least SEGA bothered to make Platinum patch Bayonetta. Hopefully Vanquish will release with fewer issues.

Ostinatto

Im getting random crashes, im 5 hours in.
Bought a PC a fews days ago, 17 7700k, 16gb ram, 1070.

This port is garbage, don't buy it for now, wait till they fix everything.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Im getting random crashes, im 5 hours in.
Bought a PC a fews days ago, 17 7700k, 16gb ram, 1070.

This port is garbage, don't buy it for now, wait till they fix everything.

Unfortunately, that's probably never going to happen. The game has only had one patch and that was for the DLC release. SE has demonstrated basically no post-release support for their PC releases (Lightning Returns got like two patches that removed the DRM and fixed a couple issues and that's probably their "best" effort to date). This game was effectively unplayable on AMD's newest cards and they did nothing about it, AMD thankfully seems to have fixed the issue in a driver update but that did nothing for NVidia users having similar problems.

If this keeps up I'll just pass on FF12 and 15 when those inevitably hit PC. I'm done supporting their terrible release-and-forget business model on PC, and I'm not going to reward them with the purchase of a console version either. If they want my money they can support their games.

FiraB

Banned
Re-bought the PC version after hearing the white screen issue was fixed on the lastest drivers with AMD...

I got further then the first Goliath fight before getting white screened at least, did two run through's of the beginning and froze in the furnace room both times (inside the factory where you fight all the bots).

Having to refund something twice is kinda depressing.

Coreda

Just to recap what issues did the DLC update bring wrt to the FAR tool again, and were they resolved in later FAR updates? I saw it in mentioned in some post at the time but haven't kept up with the thread since then.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Just to recap what issues did the DLC update bring wrt to the FAR tool again, and were they resolved in later FAR updates? I saw it in mentioned in some post at the time but haven't kept up with the thread since then.

It broke the 60fps cap remover and the free-form camera. The former has been fixed, the latter hasn't, AFAIK.

Vlaphor

I can't get this game to run like I want it. I'm using FAR and it's running fine in fullscreen, but I get noticeable input lag. I change FAR settings to run it in a borderless window and that gets rid of the input lag, but introduces a fair amount of choppyness. Anyone here have any suggestions?

tuxfool

Banned
I can't get this game to run like I want it. I'm using FAR and it's running fine in fullscreen, but I get noticeable input lag. I change FAR settings to run it in a borderless window and that gets rid of the input lag, but introduces a fair amount of choppyness. Anyone here have any suggestions?

Try forcing triple buffering in your GPU settings?

Vlaphor

Triple buffering didn't really do anything, but what did was turning the resolution down to 2560x1440, down from 4k. The weird thing is that I was still getting mostly 60fps at 4k thanks to my 1080ti, but when I dropped it down to 1440, it became much more responsive. I'd still like to run it at 4k if I could, but at this rate, I'll be spending more time tweaking the game than playing it.

It still looks really good at 1440

Triple buffering didn't really do anything, but what did was turning the resolution down to 2560x1440, down from 4k. The weird thing is that I was still getting mostly 60fps at 4k thanks to my 1080ti, but when I dropped it down to 1440, it became much more responsive. I'd still like to run it at 4k if I could, but at this rate, I'll be spending more time tweaking the game than playing it.

What framerate did you get on 4k? Even if you got 60fps it sounds like your frametimes did get worse over 1440p which might explain the lag you felt.

EDIT: Nevermind you answered already.

Arulan

Triple-buffering (common form) will only make input latency worse. Borderless windowed (applies real triple-buffered V-sync through the Windows' compositor) mode feels better because it behaves similar to not having V-sync, but with the drawback of imperfect frame pacing as you already noticed. The best you're going to get is normal double-buffered V-sync with the frame limiter on to your desired refresh rate target OR (you don't want to do both, normally) try lowering the CPU render ahead frames to 1.

tuxfool

Banned

e: nvm. I misunderstood.

Though I could suggest that you create fake resolutions like 1800p that should get you closer to 4K.

The best you're going to get is normal double-buffered V-sync with the frame limiter on to your desired refresh rate target OR (you don't want to do both, normally) try lowering the CPU render ahead frames to 1.

Double Buffering just makes latency worse when the frame rate fails to hit the monitor's refresh rate.

Rodin

A couple of questions before i buy.

Do i need to install the GI fix and lower it to 16-32 to play the game with a 970 at 1080p 60fps (MSAA off, AO on)? Rest of the PC is i5 4670K+8GB RAM, game will be installed on SSD

Running the game in borderless window with borderless gaming should also be enough to improve the frame pacing and i also won't need vsync to avoid tearing, right?

JaseC

A couple of questions before i buy.

Do i need to install the GI fix and lower it to 16-32 to play the game with a 970 at 1080p 60fps (MSAA off, AO on)? Rest of the PC is i5 4670K+8GB RAM, game will be installed on SSD

Yeah. You're not going to get 1080p60 on a 970 with the default quality:

hy4AKtd.png

Running the game in borderless window with borderless gaming should also be enough to improve the frame pacing and i also won't need vsync to avoid tearing, right?

I'm not familiar with the game's frame pacing as I've not played it myself, however, yeah, screen tearing should be a non-issue when using borderless window mode.

Rodin

hy4AKtd.png

I'm not familiar with the game's frame pacing as I've not played it myself, however, yeah, screen tearing should be a non-issue when using borderless window mode.
Bought, i turned off AA and using the one built in the AO setting. Looks great, no tearing and it is 60fps even in the open world (although with some small dips), but frame pacing is still not great so i'm gonna try rtss. That benchmark is with AA on i think.

Re-bought the PC version after hearing the white screen issue was fixed on the lastest drivers with AMD...

I got further then the first Goliath fight before getting white screened at least, did two run through's of the beginning and froze in the furnace room both times (inside the factory where you fight all the bots).

Having to refund something twice is kinda depressing.

That fucking sucks. I don't expect this pile of shit to ever get fixed. Square's customer service finally got back to me and suggested that it may be 'some other program' running on my PC causing the constant crashes. Yeah, no, fuck off.

Incompetent thieving bellends.

Rodin

Installed the FAR, set bloom/ao to native res and the GI to medium (also disabled all the features related to the achievements and other extra stuff), as i can't see any difference with ultra (low looks noticeably worse), and the frame rate got more stable. Before i could drop into the mid-low 50s, now the worse drop was 57.8fps in the resistance base according to the FAR fps counter. Stutter isn't completely gone (about that, i left the option to fix the cutscenes on and those seem better as well), but everything is improved now so thanks to Kaldaien and the other contributors for this fix. Game is very enjoyable now, the port isn't perfect but it's good enough and the issues seem to be engine related so i'm glad i bought it on PC instead of PS4 Pro.

Easy_D

never left the stone age

hy4AKtd.png

What a strange port where a 380X runs worse than a 280X and a 970 barely outperforms it

Coreda

So I'm trying FAR v1.5.7 with the 'Gamepad freelook' hotkey rebound to F5 (since I have no numpad for the default keybinding), but moving the analog sticks doesn't move the camera at all, though it does disable all the regular buttons from triggering their regular actions when the hotkey is activated.

I'm aware the latest patch conflicted with the freecam feature ability but I'm running the earlier version. Not sure what the problem is. Using the DS4 controller via DS4Windows.

Also have noticed with 21:9 ratio at 2048x864 there is significant banding/dark stripes horizontally along the screen that seems to be tied to the AO, markedly apparent when the camera is moving before fading a little when idle. Haven't seen this brought up before. Disabling AO removes the effect (while obviously reducing IQ), while using a 16:9 ratio resolution makes it far more faint. Have any others running non-16:9 resolutions encountered this? In game it's more pronounced than this GIF. Update resolved itself following a relaunch.

JaseC

Did this game ever receive any performance/optimizing patches? It seems they're still complaining about it all over Steam.

It's looking unlikely that the game's shortcomings will be addressed. Squeenix hasn't uploaded a new build to Steam since updating the public branch/releasing DLC six weeks ago.

Kiru

I have the latest version of FAR installed and BloomWidth is set to 1920 but it still looks like this:

Anyone know the reason ? :/

EDIT: I just set it to 3840, looks a lot better now!

Izuna

Banned
Finally started.

Am I right in thinking:

GI should be set to Low
No MSAA for no pop-in
Native Bloom and the other thing
Every else cranked up to max

I get solid 60.0 in the prologue (1070, 1440p), but I wanna be sure I'm doing it right

Ascheroth

Finally started.

Am I right in thinking:

GI should be set to Low
No MSAA for no pop-in
Native Bloom and the other thing
Every else cranked up to max

I get solid 60.0 in the prologue (1070, 1440p), but I wanna be sure I'm doing it right
Absolutely not.
Set GI to High by default and only lower it if it's really necessary. It's not 'free' performance, it's lowering a setting and can break lighting in a few spots.

Izuna

Banned
Absolutely not.
Set GI to High by default and only lower it if it's really necessary. It's not 'free' performance, it's lowering a setting and can break lighting in a few spots.

Gotcha. Thanks!

I also noticed that I need to alt-enter about 3 times to make sure my icc works. Not sure what's up with that. (probably borderless fullscreen?)

Izuna

Banned
steam jpg compression? Set steam to take png images! :p

... I had no idea you could save uncompressed images with Steam until now ;/

~~

Just did the prologue

HOLY SHIT. This game is incredible.

Sadly, I think I enjoy it so much that I wanna clear up my backlog first XD

kiyomi

I got excited when I saw the thread bump. I foolishly thought a patch might've been incoming.

I would dearly love to play this but not with the issues it seems to have especially when from what I've seen it doesn't seem like it should be particularly demanding.

The game is pretty savaged in Steam reviews because of these port issues, and it's dipped to "mostly positive" down from "positive" since the last time I looked (which I'm pretty sure was at overwhelmingly positive at some point). If the reviews get low enough and the overall score keeps dropping, would this make Square respond?

Knurek

The game is pretty savaged in Steam reviews because of these port issues, and it's dipped to "mostly positive" down from "positive" since the last time I looked (which I'm pretty sure was at overwhelmingly positive at some point). If the reviews get low enough and the overall score keeps dropping, would this make Square respond?

giphy.gif

Top Bottom