• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT11| Amonkhet - Have you ever had decks with a Pharaoh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's just a green eldrazi deck. Nissa is great for consistency and she can win on her own quite easily.

I'm more surprised about that jace deck as it's not storm but taking turns until you drop an Emrakul

kirblar

Anyone know of a text primer for the New Perspectives deck?
Survive, hit new perspectives, then use shadow + the untap cycler to get enough free mana to cast approach twice as you power through the deck.

It's really simple. The untap cycler dude is really the problem here.

Ashodin

Anything else worth grabbing a playset of?

I'm also grabbing a playset.

The untap cycler dude is really the problem here.

Yep, watching SaffronOlive's (ick) video makes it really apparent the untap guy makes for the grossest shenanigans by untapping your source of mana and essentially getting three mana every time you recur him with Shadow of the Grave.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.

kirblar

I have a feeling they made the massive mistake in Kaladesh/Amonkhet of actually listening to the people who complained about combo not being part of Standard. Even though, y'know, it hasn't been a part of Standard for eons.

Ashodin

I have a feeling they made the massive mistake in Kaladesh/Amonkhet of actually listening to the people who complained about combo not being part of Standard. Even though, y'know, it hasn't been a part of Standard for eons.

"Thing X isn't in standard? Okay we hear you!"

*proceeds to print uninteractive combo*

kirblar

The formatting for those lists is trash.

Is there really a problem with new perspectives? Or are you guys just being hyperbolic aka the natural state of being for this thread.
It's like Hive Mind. You cast a 6 mana enchantment then you win on the spot. Deck's gonna be all over the PT, people figured out the deck late.

El Topo

If the deck is legitimately good I would assume that the pros have prepared with Control. After the PT though we would see the problem.

DrArchon

I'm not sure how the New Perspectives deck is supposed to deal with stupid fast aggro though. The only things it has to deal with incoming damage are Haze of Pollen, Cast Out (both of which are a little expensive for my taste) and the little life gained from cycling Renewed Faith. If a good aggro deck curves out well, I don't see how it can stay alive until turn 5-6 in order to combo out.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
this is why dispel + negate are in the sideboard. If you're going up against control (ie not going to die from creatures/aggro), you back it up with countermagic. Or test the waters for a counterspell if you Cast Out on a threat like a PW.
What is new perspectives gonna play that will force control to spend a counter that isn't shadow or perspectives?

Ashodin

I'm not sure how the New Perspectives deck is supposed to deal with stupid fast aggro though. The only things it has to deal with incoming damage are Haze of Pollen, Cast Out (both of which are a little expensive for my taste) and the little life gained from cycling Renewed Faith. If a good aggro deck curves out well, I don't see how it can stay alive until turn 5-6 in order to combo out.

I'm sure RW humans can overrun it, but it just needs to survive until turn 6 to win.

Likely the deck will sideboard Insult // Injury in as well to combat Haze of Pollen.

kirblar

You can interact with the deck and it's not just countermagic that stops, hand disruption, enchantment removal, fast aggro,...

It's definitely not a deck to count out though.
Shadow of the Grave is an Instant. If you let New Perspectives resolve, there's a good chance they can go off in response to removal.

Shadow of the Grave is an Instant. If you let New Perspectives resolve, there's a good chance they can go off in response to removal.
that's why you have to wait for them to either cycle a vizier or cast the shadow of the grave, or if they don't go for it during their EOT.

It's like Saheeli where there's a moment where the deck exposes itself but contrary to saheeli there's not a powerful deck left w/o the combo.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
this is why dispel + negate are in the sideboard. If you're going up against control (ie not going to die from creatures/aggro), you back it up with countermagic. Or test the waters for a counterspell if you Cast Out on a threat like a PW.

Dispel and Negate aren't actually that good in that deck because you don't have the option to simply run a bunch of cards that don't cycle while simultaneously trying to not die and find New Perspectives. The problem with just saying "well it's blue so countermagic" is that your opponent on control will 100% have way more countermagic than you will ever have and can just board in Gideon, Ally of Zendikar to destroy you and every other deck just boards to be faster than you and or eat your New Perspectives with Lost Legacy.

This is not a resilient combo even if SaffronOlive managed to find people who didn't know how to beat it.

Ashodin

Dispel and Negate aren't actually that good in that deck because you don't have the option to simply run a bunch of cards that don't cycle while simultaneously trying to not die and find New Perspectives. The problem with just saying "well it's blue so countermagic" is that your opponent on control will 100% have way more countermagic than you will ever have and can just board in Gideon, Ally of Zendikar to destroy you and every other deck just boards to be faster than you and or eat your New Perspectives with Lost Legacy.

This is not a resilient combo even if SaffronOlive managed to find people who didn't know how to beat it.

I never said it was a good strategy.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I never said it was a good strategy.

This is a deck where people think its hard to beat because it does something weird/unusual.

This combo is so ridiculously fragile because it's trying to do way too many things at once that are impossible to manage. You can't even go off unless you resolve New Perspectives with 4 cards still in your hand when you resolve it. I think SaffronOlive just got really lucky.

you should probably name approach though instead of new perspective.
This is a deck where people think its hard to beat because it does something weird/unusual.

This combo is so ridiculously fragile because it's trying to do way too many things at once that are impossible to manage. You can't even go off unless you resolve New Perspectives with 4 cards still in your hand when you resolve it. I think SaffronOlive just got really lucky.
LSV went 2-2 in a league not knowing what half the cards did, I don't think it's anything problematic but it's not a deck to completely write off.

Angry Grimace

you should probably name approach though instead of new perspective.

You name New Perspectives because your opponent will waste all fucking day cycling if you let him resolve it because he can technically win by casting Shefet Monitors or Sphinxes.

El Topo

I'd love to be a fly on the wall at WotC if New Perspectives actually takes off. I mean, this is unbelievably uninteractive.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";236525439]Man, I thought Harsh Mentor pinged all activated abilities and would stop the New Perspectives combo. It's a lot more narrow than I remembered.[/QUOTE]
Harsh mentor is overhyped and underwhelming

Violet_0

Banned
so far it looks like if you draw no New Perspective early or the opponent has a very aggressive deck, you're pretty much dead. Maybe with new cycling cards in Hours the deck could become something neat

bigkrev

New Perspectives is the kind of janky combo deck I love. First thing that's made me think about playing Standard since Jeskai Ascendency Standard combo

Funny tidbit from the Commanderin Podcast ft. Ethan Fleischer. Bounty of Luxa edged out a gold legend, which all were aimed for commander.

That makes Neheb costing 3 all the more disappointing.

Santiako

We've got the pro tour starting in a couple of hours. Unfortunately I'm on my parents' house for holiday and they have garbage internet so I won't be able to watch much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom