• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT12| Hour of Devastation - Hour of Jace getting dunked on

Status
Not open for further replies.
DCtUXSvUIAArDYV.png

Cool design. This has the potential to combo with so many things.

It loses that ability when it becomes the copy of the target, right?

Otherwise, make it a copy of a thopter, after blocks, make it a copy of a grim flayer. Make it a land in response to removal.

Yeah, it'd be too powerful it if retained the ability.

Otherwise, make it a copy of a thopter, after blocks, make it a copy of a grim flayer. Make it a land in response to removal.

Haha, yeah - I actually made the exact same mistake when thinking about it. It's still sweet, though :)

Yeah, it loses the ability once it becomes that for the turn. However, it is kind of sweet with stuff like Pride Sovereign, where you get a 3 Mana "Make Two 1/1 cats with Lifelink", since it loses the Creature/Exert stuff upon becoming an artifact during cleanup.

Justin

I was reading the thread on reddit and everyone there seems to think if you name multiple cards to copy at the same time they resolve in order.

example

You activate the mirror targeting, let's say, [[Those Who Serve]], [[Verdant Automaton]], and [[Naga Vitalist]], in that order. The stack looks like this:
Naga Vitalist activation
Verdant Automaton activation
Those Who Serve activation
Now, we let the first activation resolve. The mirror is now a Naga Vitalist. The two other activations stay on the stack, and the game asks all players if they want to do something. You now get a chance to tap your "Naga Vitalist" for mana. That resolves, and the stack now looks like this.
Verdant Automaton activation
You now let the second activation resolve. The game again asks all players if they want to do anything. You say yes, I want to activate my "Verdant Automaton"'s "3G: Put a +1/+1 counter on this creature" ability. This ability goes on the stack.
Put a +1/+1 counter on "Verdant Automaton"
Now, the +1/+1 counter ability resolves (if no one else has anything to do), and if you again have nothing else to do before the Those Who Serve activation, that resolves as well. Net, you've generated one mana of any color your lands could produce, and you have a 3/5 "Those Who Serve" until end of turn. (Then at end of turn you'll have a noncreature mirror with a +1/+1 counter on it that does nothing until the mirror animates again.)

you cant hold priority and use it twice because it would no longer be mirage mirror right?
You can queue it and do shit with it in between.

So you could queue it to be a creature with firebreathing and a creature with doublestrike afterwards. Once it has firebreathing pay a bunch which stays on top when it becomes the creature with doublestrike.

That's the exact way Skitheryx + Moltensteel Dragon works with Scion of the Ur Dragon.

I was reading the thread on reddit and everyone there seems to think if you name multiple cards to copy at the same time they resolve in order.

example

Yeah, there's some fuckery potential for sure :p

Similarly, I've had this card floating around in my head for a while, trying to come up with some shit, but haven't settled on anything, yet.

153.jpg

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

If it retained the ability you could just make it never die by turning it into a land if it would get removed by anything.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Looks like Dominaria is gonna be turned into a planet of hats like most of the other planes.

ramunaphydra.jpg

Ramunap Hydra - 3G
Creature - Hydra
Vigilance, reach, trample
As long as you control a Desert, Ramunap Hydra gets +1/+1.
As long as there is a Desert card in your graveyard, Ramunap Hyra gets +1/+1.
3/3

So it separately gets a boost from a Desert on the battlefield and in your graveyard, for a total of +2/+2. Seems underwhelming, but it is a good offensive and defensive creature.

OnPoint

[IMGhttp://mythicspoiler.com/hou/cards/ramunaphydra.jpg[/IMG]

Ramunap Hydra - 3G
Creature - Hydra
3/3

So it separately gets a boost from a Desert on the battlefield and in your graveyard, for a total of +2/+2. Seems underwhelming, but it is a good offensive and defensive creature.

I am immediately wondering if Desert Delirium is playable as a deck.

It's a hydra that can only grow two heads? And it has to grow those heads while buried in the sand but has reach?

The flavor of this set seems really off somehow.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
ramunaphydra.jpg

Ramunap Hydra - 3G
Creature - Hydra
3/3

A 5/5 for 3G with Vigilance, Trample and Reach seems the opposite of underwhelming. You don't even have to control or have the Desert in your yard at the time you cast it. With stuff like Cathartic Reunion or Hazoret you can dump shit in your yard without a problem and its not like all Deserts come into play tapped.

So use the Sacrifice Deserts for value? Or the cycling ones. It's not hard to turn on both clauses.

It's the kind of card you play in a deck that runs stuff like Bloodrage Brawler/Cathartic Ruinion/Honored Hydra to dump a ton of dudes in the yard. Whether that is good or not remains to be seen.

It's a hydra that can only grow two heads? And it has to grow those heads while buried in the sand but has reach?

The flavor of this set seems really off somehow.

Look closer. It has two more heads, they're just *actually* buried under the sand.

Edit: on a third look, it has two more!

Ashodin

Make Dominaria like the industrial revolution. It's been 10 years since we've been back to the plane, have the people be all steampunk america or some shit.

Steampunk Western!

Make Dominaria like the industrial revolution. It's been 10 years since we've been back to the plane, have the people be all steampunk america or some shit.

Steampunk Western!

Didn't we *just* have steampunk in Kaladesh though?

Okay, fine, Aetherpunk, but still. :)

Zocano

I feel like going very generic/basic theme could work but with a core set not too far after Dominaria, that shoots a hole in that idea.

Tunoku

Oh look, another bad Red Mythic. Of course, if you manage to deal some damage that turn, you get some mana back which is interesting, but I'm off it. Glorybringer costs the same and does so much more the turn it comes into play.

Repgnar

Since they have different card names you could Have the other Neheb out too. Would have first strike and possibly +2/0. The wording also lets you get the mana off of any damage so affliction and burn you use during combat could give mana.

ultron87

He does make me want to have some situation where I can Fireball opponent's face main phase, pass, then have a second fireball in hand in second main that I have all the mana for now. Even better, Crater's Claws!

Santiako

kFLVR5W.jpg

Land: Desert (Rare)
T: Add {C} to your mana pool.
2, T, Sacrifice a desert: Exile all card from all graveyards.

This is really good!

bigkrev

At least that Mythic is interesting? If you cast it precimbat you get the mana the same turn which is cool

Might try the Desert in my Affinity SB. It's an untapped land (unlike Bojuka Bog), and uncounterable

DrArchon

ramunaphydra.jpg

Ramunap Hydra - 3G
Creature - Hydra
3/3

You know what this reminds me of?

Image.ashx

I'd rather play mulitple colors than run most of the deserts they've shown off, to be honest, and it's not like Woodland Wanderer made any big splashes in Standard.

I'm sure the Hydra will be a fine draft card though.

That's very metal.

I like this a lot, actually. People seem to be missing that it cares about any life loss, not damage dealt by it. This includes other attacking creatures.

kFLVR5W.jpg

Land: Desert (Rare)
T: Add {C} to your mana pool.
2, T, Sacrifice a desert: Exile all card from all graveyards.

This is really good!

So we finally have good anti-graveyard cards? By the way, the sacrificed Desert is exiled too, right?

Nah, there's these guys.

Image.ashx

Green is the only color without it's own monocolored zombie.

Image.ashx

DrArchon

I was not expecting the UR god to be about making tokens.

Seriously though, even assuming that you aren't drawing more than one card every turn, getting a 1/1 flier with haste every turn is pretty brutal, on top of having a 4/4 flier/filterer.

Oh God. can you imagine combining the Scorpion God with the Locust God? Kill a creature with a -1/-1 counter, draw a card, get a 1/1 flier. Shit's disgusting.

Santiako

The Grixis Gods (as the article calls them) are way more fun to build around than the Amonkhet ones. I really like their designs. The Scarab god (UB) has me curious now.

Justin

I was not expecting the UR god to be about making tokens.

Seriously though, even assuming that you aren't drawing more than one card every turn, getting a 1/1 flier with haste every turn is pretty brutal, on top of having a 4/4 flier/filterer.

Oh God. can you imagine combining the Scorpion God with the Locust God? Kill a creature with a -1/-1 counter, draw a card, get a 1/1 flier. Shit's disgusting.

Turn 6 Locust God, Turn 7 Pull from tomorrow with insect army!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom