• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT12| Hour of Devastation - Hour of Jace getting dunked on

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm heading out to a prerelease soon, I'll try super hard to force blue even though it's boring as fuck to play in Limited so I can be properly salty.

Yeef

I had a Fraying Sanity as my promo. Had a really solid BW zombie deck. The only rares I could run were Hour of Glory, Never to Return & Hostile Desert.

OnPoint

Thanks Wotc for another shit prerelease experience. Opened 3 fucking aftermath cards, blue pool had literally 2 creatures, no removal, biggest creature I had was a 2/3 exerter. Just threw my cards in the trash. Yeah it's childish but paying $30 and not being able to even make a decent deck really pisses me off. Only went to show my friends what it's like and they opened thoughtseize, foil liliana, and promo locus god and scarab good.

Fuuuuuuuuuck

My exact experience at every pre-release / draft I've ever done.

Repgnar

Waking up from midnight pre release. Ended up going G/B with Ammit Eternal promo, Archfiend, Obelisk Spider, Resilient Khenra and some on color cartouches and trials. Ended up going 2-1 then dropping with the group I went with since one of them has their first day on the job today and most of us didn't nap before going. Lost to a red/white beat down with black splashed for removal. The Tah Crop elite and oketras +2/+1 combo is still nasty.

Ammit Eternal and Obelisk Spider performed really well. The black removal really helped at common level and felt bad taking out sifter worms and neutralizing a God early. Looking forward to doing one more before the weekend ends, maybe today.

Justin

Waking up from midnight pre release. Ended up going G/B with Ammit Eternal promo, Archfiend, Obelisk Spider, Resilient Khenra and some on color cartouches and trials. Ended up going 2-1 then dropping with the group I went with since one of them has their first day on the job today and most of us didn't nap before going. Lost to a red/white beat down with black splashed for removal. The Tah Crop elite and oketras +2/+1 combo is still nasty.

Ammit Eternal and Obelisk Spider performed really well. The black removal really helped at common level and felt bad taking out sifter worms and neutralizing a God early. Looking forward to doing one more before the weekend ends, maybe today.

I am working on building a -1/-1 deck and am wondering how long your Ammit survived? Were you able to get him out with the spider and drain/gain a significant amount of life?

Repgnar

If they didn't have removal the whole casting putting a -1/-1 didn't apply too much if I dropped him turn 3. Being green I had two cartouches so I ended up attaching that to him, destroying the creature he dropped or had on the field then swing onto his face removing the one counter. I also had the +2/+2 remove one counter pump which I also used once. Turn 3 drop is brutal if they don't have an answer. Late game drop would work in sealed/draft if their hand is small.

Spider acted more as a stall. No one ever attacked if I kept him up and one guy ended up doing the kefnets mind control spell.

hermit7

Went yesterday at prerelease. Had a decent pool of bombs, but few ways to fix mana and a lack of playables in 2 colors.

Went 3 colors mostly g/w with a bit of black

Ended up dropping after getting mana screwed each game. First game I kept 3 lands and never drew a third. Dude I was playing played humility and I scooped. Fuck that card in limited without any enchantment removal.

Game 2 was similar. Had 3 lands in 2 colors to start and only ever drew cards if the color I didn't have and was run over. Going to go again this afternoon, so we will see if it is any better.

noquarter

Played last night and opened up jank. Had Electrify as my sole piece of removal.

Ended up playing UB since I had quite a few counters and afflict creatures. Handily lost all but one game.

Played against someone who ended up getting two Scarab gods, one the Invocation and the Dreamstealer, who he was able to drop on curve both games.

Might try another event this weekend, but really can't stand sealed anymore. Tired of opening up jank and losing to almost constructed worthy decks.

DrArchon

I had a Fraying Sanity as my promo. Had a really solid BW zombie deck. The only rares I could run were Hour of Glory, Never to Return & Hostile Desert.

Nothing worse than getting a promo that you wouldn't use even if you were playing those colors.

I'm fearing for my life that I end up with that garbage red enchantment as my promo.

Hm most Mizzix build are actually not storming off but winning with Lab Maniac or Reiterate shenanigans, gonna try making it without either. Grape Shot or go home only need something like 90 storm on average.

Matriox

Ended up grabbing first at the midnight release :) got some decent rares but a decent number of white flyers. My promo was endless sands... Was fortunate enough to grab Angel of Condemnation, Earthshaker Khenra, and Glory-bound Initiate and be very aggressive when everyone seemed to be playing 3+ colors for some reason..

DrArchon

Ended up grabbing first at the midnight release :) got some decent rares but a decent number of white flyers. My promo was endless sands... Was fortunate enough to grab Angel of Condemnation, Earthshaker Khenra, and Glory-bound Initiate and be very aggressive when everyone seemed to be playing 3+ colors for some reason..

What the fuck... why would anyone be running three colors? The only scenarios where I can see that being applicable would be a) you got Bolas and just have to play him, or b) you got a bunch of green ramp cards and not a lot of fast aggressive stuff.

Mana-fixing not's exactly all that common here. Seems super dumb to me to run three colors.

Matriox

What the fuck... why would anyone be running three colors? The only scenarios where I can see that being applicable would be a) you got Bolas and just have to play him, or b) you got a bunch of green ramp cards and not a lot of fast aggressive stuff.

Mana-fixing not's exactly all that common here. Seems super dumb to me to run three colors.
Yeah no clue lol. I seriously played against Abzan, Grixis, and even one player ran Grixis with green for those wurm high drops.. He also pulled 2 travelers amulet and 2 evolving wilds, but yeah I can't say it was the best pool of players I've played against.

Santiako

Just got back from the prerelease. Went 4-0 undefeated for the day, 1st place :)

Played a really low curve red green deck with only one rare (Rhonas's Last Stand). Deck ran like a dream all day.

Rafy

vtcFz3u.jpg

These are my rares. I went 2-1 and placed fourth. I lost that last one due to bad draws.

I played a very aggressive jeskai deck,with most commons and uncommons rated by LSV at 2.5/3.0 and up.

Oketra and locust were a crazy good synergy.

Blogatog readers voting overwhelmingly that they'd prefer names with modifiers (Ravnica: City of Guilds, Champions of Kamigawa, Khans of Tarkir) over just the plane name on a first visit, which is definitely a surprise to me.

Poppy

Hm most Mizzix build are actually not storming off but winning with Lab Maniac or Reiterate shenanigans, gonna try making it without either. Grape Shot or go home only need something like 90 storm on average.

i want to build something for mind's desire but i dunno what to do, i just like the idea of storming off and vomiting a ton of stupidly large things onto the board

Anybody here interested in taking 1 or more booster boxes off my hands? These things starting to pile up and I could use the space lol. Have:

5x battle for zendikar
1x kaladesh
3x amonkhet

Looking for 80ea shipped. US only sorry :(

Figured it's worth throwing them up here before trying the facebook trading groups.

Edit: also got a bunch of playmats from the last couple years that im looking to offload for reasonable prices if theres any interest. Stuff like the drs eternal weekend and the gp goblin guide. I can get a full list and pictures of any. All unused, just brought home and tossed on the pile.

I wouldn't mind seeing the DRS playmat. And if you happen to have the Tarmogoyf playmat. I used to own it but it was ruined.

Blogatog readers voting overwhelmingly that they'd prefer names with modifiers (Ravnica: City of Guilds, Champions of Kamigawa, Khans of Tarkir) over just the plane name on a first visit, which is definitely a surprise to me.

You know, this is totally my fault, but I bought the wrong pack this weekend.
I don't play Standard and while I could tell you the recent planes they've visited recently, I'm just not completely versed on the whole thing. I bought a couple cheap cards and wanted to throw in a pack to see if I could pull something out of a Kaladesh pack but I asked for Amonkhet for some odd reason... I just got these weird names confused for a minute.

Yeah. I helped my round one opponent off his third color because it just didn't make any sense. He did it to gain access to a white rare (Angel @ double white!). I hope he felt a lot better after doin that.

Ironically, my desert and green pool could have easily supported a third color, but I didn't get a super cool god or three to lean into.

Wichu

I played three colours because none of my two-colour pairs were deep enough. Base green/red, splashing white for four cards and Pride Sovereign's ability. I only had colour problems once, when I drew no Forests so eventually ended up with a bunch of green stuck in hand - luckily my opponent also got stuck on green, and I had enough red creatures to put on some pressure.

Also those Cat tokens I made on Thursday were super useful. No regrets.

Ashodin

I got hosetowned. Oketra last mercy, Hazoret undying fury, abandoned sarcophagus, prepare to fight, mystical myriarch promo, anointed procession.

No token makers, zombies with no lords, barely any removal. Ended up dropping after two games because fuck that.

Went home with wife in tow to cheer me up with pizza and opening Planeswalker deck packs.

Got the Scorpion God!

Son1x

I had a lot of fun at prerelease today. Played a BUG deck with some fixing with the grixis filter land, Manalith and Naga Vitalist. My bombs were 2x Kefnet's Last Stand, The Scarad God (so amazing) and Hour of Eternity. I went 4-2 and placed 8th. Won my QF match then we split in top 4, each getting 12 boosters. I opened Slaughter Pact invocation.

There was also this lottery kind of thing where you won random mtg products. Bought 4 "tickets" and got a EMN booster, Showdown booster containing WB fastland, some sleeves and a deckbuilding toolkit. Got a Fatal Push and As Foretold in the boosters within.

I didn't like the set much, but I still enjoyed playing it. Opening a lot of boosters and placing well might have something to do with it :D

Ashodin

Last night's prerelease and the set as a whole being garbage means I won't be going back for a second run. Smaller sets just really suck.

Zocano

I had a shit RG pool anyway so it wasn't like I could run her anyway. My pool was just way too slow overall, regardless, and only went 2-2. Only won to really jank stuff and I lost to anything that ran afflict plus back up burn.
I'll post the deck I made in like a 2 hours after I hardcore nap.

Last night's prerelease and the set as a whole being garbage means I won't be going back for a second run. Smaller sets just really suck.
I'm gonna do a single draft, skipped pre, to get one of the Ramunap Explorers but that's it.

Gonna get the couple singles for EDH and standard I want then be done with the set.
Speaking of I keep finding new uses for Supreme Will in EDH.

traveler

Not Wario
In Amonkhet sealed, playing 3+ colors was often the correct move. It's pretty rare to have the necessary concentration of power in 2 colors and cycling makes splashing off color bombs low opportunity cost. If you had gift of paradise and were green, for example, you should pretty much always run Lay Claim.

Tunoku

Here is my sealed pool from last night:

Cartouche of Solidarity
Djeru’s Resolve
2 Protection of the Hekma
Sparring Mummy
Those Who Serve
Aven of Enduring Hope
Dauntless Aven
Disposal Mummy
God-Pharaoh’s Faithful
Oketra’s Last Mercy
Sand Explosion
Saving Grace
Solitary Camel
Steadfast Sentinel
Sunscourge Champion

Hekma Sentinels
Labyrinth Guardian
Seeker of Insight
Shimmerscale Drake
Aven Reedstalker
Countervailing Winds
Imaginary Threats
Proven Combatant
Seer of the Last Tomorrow
2 Tragic Lesson
Unquenchable Thirst
Unsummon

Bone Picker
Final Reward
Miasmic Mummy
Pitiless Vizier
Wander in Death
Apocalypse Demon
Doomfall
Khenra Eternal
Lethal Sting
Lurching Rotbeast
Merciless Eternal
Scrounger of Souls
Vile Manifestation
Without Weakness

Cartouche of Zeal
Fling
Glorious End
Nimble-Blade Khenra
Truehart Twins
Abrade
2 Crash Through
Defiant Khenra
Frontline Devastator
Gilded Cerodon
Hazoret’s Undying Fury
Khenra Scrapper
Kindled Fury
Bitterblade Warrior
Hapatra’s Mark
Initiate’s Companion
Naga-Vitalist
Quarry Hauler
Bitterbow Sharpshooters
Devotee of Strength
Gift of Strength
Harrier Naga
Oasis Ritualist
2 Sidewinder Naga

Temmet, Vizier of Naktamun
Resolute Survivors
River Hoopoe
Grind // Dust

Luxa River Shrine
Cradle of the Accursed
Hollow One
Manalith
Traveler’s Amulet

Desert of the Fervent
2 Desert of the Indomitable
Desert of the True
Hashep Oasis
Shefet Dunes
Survivor’s Encampment

https://deckstats.net/deck-13526249-beb67f4e5eee043150a4f5138882c065.html

How would you build it? I went with BG with a White splash for Dust. I just lost to every bomb I encountered.

sgjackson

Got second at today's prerelease with R/W aggro featuring the full red/white removal suite, the exert angel, and two new Nehebs. Everyone in my store also went deep on weird 3-color shit (much to my confusion) but if you went green ramp with Traveler's Baubles and whatnot it kind of worked. I lost to a dude who went green/blue ramp featuring Rhonas splashing red for removal and The Locust God. Format feels slower than Amonkhet did, felt like it was harder to get there with aggro against durdly horseshit.

I played tight and only lost to bombs and one game to flood on a mull into that horseshit hexproof serpent guy so I'm pretty happy.

http://whatsinstandard.com/

BFZ rotates September 29th, I think I'll look at picking up Ulamog and a couple Gideon again at that point for Commander/Modern use then.

SOI and EMN rotate September 29th as well. I think I'll probably pick up some Zombie cards, Nahiri and Liliana again if I haven't done so sooner.

Hopefully price drops happen like they should.

I know that LotV was a four-of in Jund at the time of her rotation and was one of the very few cards whose price increased at rotation rather than dropped.

Card Boy

Banned
http://whatsinstandard.com/

BFZ rotates September 29th, I think I'll look at picking up Ulamog and a couple Gideon again at that point for Commander/Modern use then.

SOI and EMN rotate September 29th as well. I think I'll probably pick up some Zombie cards, Nahiri and Liliana again if I haven't done so sooner.

Hopefully price drops happen like they should.

I know that LotV was a four-of in Jund at the time of her rotation and was one of the very few cards whose price increased at rotation rather than dropped.

I sold Gideon (AoZ) for $40 a year ago and it wasnt even foil! Good times. Hope i can grab him again for $10

I need a replacement for Grasp of Darkness. I may need to grind for Fatal Pushes in Sep.

DrArchon

Well despite my misgivings about going 3 color, here I am at prerelease with a cruddy Jeskai deck. Nothing good though. I got two Nimble Obstructionists, a promo Hollow One, and an As Foretold. Ugh. Also got Hour of Eternity, but I ain't playing that triple blue mana cost in my life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom