• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT12| Hour of Devastation - Hour of Jace getting dunked on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Justin

Watching the replay. Why do the keep saying "Nico Bolas, The Godfather"? Is this some dumb meme I have luckily avoided thus far? Still not as annoying as the announcer last week that kept saying "Heart of Koran"

The Oblesk spider deck was awesome.

Justin

It cracks me up that design sat down to make a flagship card for HOU and then they settled on "Nicol Bolas that's basically a copy of the last Nicol Bolas but worse even though the first one saw no play either of the times it was in Standard"

Bolas has ended a non-insignificant amount of games shown on stream at the PT.

Bolas has ended a non-insignificant amount of games shown on stream at the PT.
Of course he has, he's a 7 CMC mythic. The thing is in most of those situations Chandra would have gotten a concession just the same but she'd also not have been a dead card in many other situations.

One game in particular the UR Control player was unable to play Bolas and had a garbage hand full of negates and lands Chandra could have replaced. Digging 6 or 7 cards deep for an answer.

Tunoku

I'm still conflicted when it comes to my deck choice for tomorrow. Basically debating whether to splash for green or black in Boros burn. Black gives me access to Bump over 4 two-mana burn spells (2 Helix, 2 Skullcrack), but Destructive Revelry is just a great all-around answer compared to an awkward 3/2 Smash and Wear/Tear split.

It typically takes very little for red decks (by that I mean aggro + reach) to break the tipping point and be the best decks in a format. Id wager that balancing red is one of the hardest things to do in R&D.

I think the main thing R&D had to worry about is not making Red too faceroll/non-interactive while still making it "feel" Red. That can be pretty hard, because cards like Ahn-Crop Crasher and Earthshaker Khenra should be above-board in terms of how interactive they are, but it only takes one Ramunap Ruins or Lava Spike for it to feel like they aren't.

Violet_0

Banned
the combo of eternalized Khenra, Hazoret and Ramunap gives red a lot of reach that it doesn't normally have. Khenra and Hazoret are also just rather hard to deal with. The other cards in the deck aren't really extraordinarily powerful, or more so than usual

Justin

Just looked up the Ixalan leaks to see if there was anything that would work in the RDW deck and goddam there are some fun looking bombs in Red. Can't wait to play Ixalan limited.

Edit: power level on the rares and mythical seems much higher across the board.

Violet_0

Banned
Just looked up the Ixalan leaks to see if there was anything that would work in the RDW deck and goddam there are some fun looking bombs in Red. Can't wait to play Ixalan limited.

Edit: power level on the rares and mythical seems much higher across the board.

I haven't seen any true game-changers yet. Some of the dinosaurs are strong, the legendary in particular, but very expensive. Only one pirate that looks nasty so far. I'm quite curious if the green 3 mana
"all creatures with a +1/+1 counter become unblockable"
guy is gonna be played

Sometimes you have to play guessing games when it comes to the deck you're facing.

Other times they Turn 1 Ramunap Ruins and Village Messenger.

Justin

I haven't seen any true game-changers yet. Some of the dinosaurs are strong, the legendary in particular, but very expensive. Only one pirate that looks nasty so far. I'm quite curious if the green 3 mana
"all creatures with a +1/+1 counter become unblockable"
guy is gonna be played

The
2R 0/1 haste creature the copies target attacking creature when it attacks could be interesting

Violet_0

Banned
The
2R 0/1 haste creature the copies target attacking creature when it attacks could be interesting

that one is weird. It looks like it wants to be in an aggro deck but it would be worse than Ahn-Crop crasher in mono red. And very vulnerable to removal, obviously

Justin

that one is weird. It looks like it wants to be in an aggro deck but it would be worse than Ahn-Crop crasher in mono red. And very vulnerable to removal, obviously

Seems like it would be good to cheat in a bunch of damage using one of the Amonkhet green two drops like Exemplar of Strength

Violet_0

Banned
Seems like it would be good to cheat in a bunch of damage using one of the Amonkhet green two drops like Exemplar of Strength

well, but then you have to play Exemplar (eww) and you're just getting a 2 mana creature for a higher mana cost (with some upsides, true) until end of turn. Glorybringer would be a lot meaner

good point about the cheating, though. I think the only way the card could see play is through some weird card interaction/combo

I do just want to make fun of the people who thought The Pervert was bad, just a little bit. A cheap indestructible haste creature that adds late-game reach, people.

It typically takes very little for red decks (by that I mean aggro + reach) to break the tipping point and be the best decks in a format. Id wager that balancing red is one of the hardest things to do in R&D.

This seems both like a pretty obvious contributor to their weird reticence to fix the conceptual problems with red via the color pie, but also conversely something that's best addressed by fixing those problems (because then you can make good red archetypes that aren't burn/RDW.)

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I kind of feel bad. I'm still sort of following this thread, but I haven't actually played in months. I'm probably to sell out entirely. I moved away from my LGS and MODO isn't really doing much for me these days. :( 2 straight years of broken constructed hasn't helped.

I kind of feel bad. I'm still sort of following this thread, but I haven't actually played in months. I'm probably to sell out entirely. I moved away from my LGS and MODO isn't really doing much for me these days. :( 2 straight years of broken constructed hasn't helped.

I mean, I don't play the game at all besides prereleases, and I'm the guy making these threads.

I play the MTGO beta and cube every now again. That's basically all I do anymore, although I do watch all the pro tours because the game is still interesting to me on a conceptual level (just not worth putting money into it to me anymore).

Ashodin

I do just want to make fun of the people who thought The Pervert was bad, just a little bit. A cheap indestructible haste creature that adds late-game reach, people.

I order you to research and get everyone's opinion on the card from this thread! GO!

Also get your Authority of the Consuls now

Also Hazoret being played really makes me want to bring Robots to FNM next week because I love that deck

Oh and since we're on the subject of "what we do in MTG" I only play paper. I love the social and competitive aspects so I try to get into a PPTQ now and then. Finishing in Day 2 of GP Richmond was my biggest professional accomplishment to date, even earning a pro point. It feels good.

traveler

Not Wario
In all the years I've played Magic, Standard has never been my primary format and has rarely even been on the list of formats I play. The game is still plenty fun outside it, and I still like keeping up with the latest sets for draft/sealed. (Amonkhet sealed is seriously one of the best sealed formats ever and it hardly ever gets discussed...)

Zocano

This Hazoret spike makes my foil copy very happy.

Aside from just playing limited constantly, I was pretty deep in standard through RTR block. But yah the rotation stuff is really hard to keep up with. Standard being relatively cheap this past year is very appealing but it's still not something I really wanna dive and invest in again.

Instead, I built a cube and wrapped up my affinity deck for modern and I get plenty of use out of both of those, so that's good for me. I still want to build another modern deck since playing only affinity when I go to play modern can be a bit tiring.

bigkrev

Last tournament I played in was Amonkhet pre-release, and I think i've played casually with friends like 3 times since then? I try to encourage playing other board games when we get together now.

Wish I could enjoy EDH, cause that's what my friends mostly play now!

y2dvd

Haha I had picked up some copies of Hazoret for my modern burn deck (just to try it out and be different), so I'm glad to hear this spike!

But tbh, I've cut back on my mtg playtime also. Signed up for wall climbing membership, so I can't afford to play this expensive hobby as much. It's probably why I've gotten into table EDH.

I order you to research and get everyone's opinion on the card from this thread! GO!

I'll actually do the flipside of what we usually do here and share some people who made good calls:

If RDW is a thing Hazoret could be the curve topper as you hand should be nearly empty by then.

I think you are undervaluing Hazoret. The card is boring but very strong.

Exactly. She's a beater that can't be destroyed while also being a (relatively expensive) discard outlet that can burn out your opponent. It's very "red smashes face" and very dull as a result, but it should be effective.

Daedardus

I still love your advice in this thread, so it would be sad to see you go.

I mean, I don't play the game at all besides prereleases, and I'm the guy making these threads.

I hardly play either. That's why we are all on GAF. We talk about games instead of playing them.

Joe Molotov

I preordered a playset of Perverts for $7 and bought Chandras when she got down to $17. For once, being The Red Guy pays off. #WhenInDoubtBurnItOut

Santiako

For the past year and a half I've only played prereleases and a couple of gps. I don't have a LGS at all, that's why I post so much here, it's how I get my mtg fix :p

What? This has been happening as long as I've been playing the game. The easy aggro deck comes out on top right at the start, and most of the time it's red. At least since RtR-Inn.

I'm with you. That's the advice I've read from others and advice I've given to others. When it's a new standard, start off with Red and aggro strategies and you will do well until things get figured out.

So like Patrick Chapin was legit a medium scale drug dealer and can't go to japan as a result?

How did he remain on the HoF after this got out, not that I mind it's an interesting story and MDMA is relatively harmless when it comes to drugs.

Santiako

https://www.twitch.tv/magic

Pro Tour Top 8 starting.

matchups:
aG8sbMR.png

Unfortunate the two nonred decks face each other first lol

Joe Molotov

Well, we know everything but the winner now.

Most played card (nonbasic) in the top 8: Village Messanger, Falkenrath Gorger, Earthshaker Khenra, Ramunap Ruins (24 copies)
Most played creature in the top 8: Village Messanger, Falkenrath Gorger, Earthshaker Khenra (24 copies)
Most played planeswalker in the top 8: Chandra, Torch of Defiance (15 copies)
Colour with most cards in the top8: Red
Number of Nicol Bolas in the top 8: 0
Any Hour of Devastation gods in the top 8 (if yes which one): No

6OZohh2.gif

If you had "Red Savannah Lion" as one of your most played cards, collect your prize at the front desk.

Justin

There was a 8 year old girl in my draft pod yesterday who drafted an amazing mono green deck with an almost perfect curve. When I played her she was so excited whenever she would draw one of her hippos she would start laughing. It was pretty hilarious. I told her dad afterwards about the 7 year old that was playing at the Modern GP and that he should take her to the Seattle one next year.

So like Patrick Chapin was legit a medium scale drug dealer and can't go to japan as a result?

How did he remain on the HoF after this got out

He got fired from WotC and went to jail over it so it's not like he didn't do his time. I don't think anyone's ever made a serious case that the HoF should automatically exclude people for illicit activity outside the game (though certainly there are things someone could do that would bring that conversation up.)

There's people on Reddit who will tell you that he murdered a bunch of people to cover it up but that has about as much logic and reality to it as anything else people post on the Magic subreddit.

He got fired from WotC and went to jail over it so it's not like he didn't do his time. I don't think anyone's ever made a serious case that the HoF should automatically exclude people for illicit activity outside the game (though certainly there are things someone could do that would bring that conversation up.)

There's people on Reddit who will tell you that he murdered a bunch of people to cover it up but that has about as much logic and reality to it as anything else people post on the Magic subreddit.
Wait he worked for Wizards at the time or do you mean the pro players club?
I would have thought something like that would just get you a lifetime ban, glad it didn't.
Magic would be worse w/o Chapin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom