• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT12| Hour of Devastation - Hour of Jace getting dunked on

Status
Not open for further replies.
They're being weirdly hesitant about putting non-loyalty abilities (besides "X can be your commander" and Garruk's transformation ability) on planeswalkers, which I assume means they want to do it as a big splashy thing. I think the bigger issue is that doing that basically means using the four-ability frame and they probably feel like they haven't quite gotten all the juice they want out of that.
I wish they'd redesign the PW frame, it's terrible with all the oval shapes. A legacy from Future Sight that should long have been rectified.
Yeah we've talked about triggered abilities before with PW and them wanting to go through more regular designs first but I don't think cycling actually falls under that being activated and only of relevance in hand.
He 0-3d limited but managed to get to 4-4 in Standard
reddit said 0-2-1 in limited.

Santiako

I like Bolas in a deck that can wipe the board the turn before it drops him. If you play it in an empty board it runs away with the game (as it should given the mana cost).

Will probably make a thread for the HasCon cards later today, after the news calms down. It got a good response in the Transformers Community thread.

bigkrev

While they aren't for me, I have to say, I'm happy with how the Hascon cards came out. The fact that it's only $30 instead of the $100 they charge for SDCC walkers helps a lot.

red13th

Ixalan has a lot more new terminology from what it looks like, no more transform for crying out loud? What was wrong with it? Also it spells the name of the other face, instead of the cleaner "transform Delver of Secrets". Not sure I like this.

traveler

Not Wario
What happens when you convert a token copy of a double faced card now? Before you couldn't flip it because there was no specification of what it ended up as and there wasn't another side, but now the card specifically asks you to change it to a named card.

kirblar

While they aren't for me, I have to say, I'm happy with how the Hascon cards came out. The fact that it's only $30 instead of the $100 they charge for SDCC walkers helps a lot.
They're trying to dissuade flippers w/ the SDCC stuff, it ended up at like 160-ish this year. Can't blame em.

I wish they'd redesign the PW frame, it's terrible with all the oval shapes. A legacy from Future Sight that should long have been rectified.

I mean if anything the Planeswalker frame was the antecedent to the Magic 2015 frame -- it's got the same rounded corners, same non-rectangle swoopy shape, same white-on-black legal text.

Yeah we've talked about triggered abilities before with PW and them wanting to go through more regular designs first but I don't think cycling actually falls under that being activated and only of relevance in hand.

I agree it shouldn't really, I just think they kinda consider it the same bucket.

I think all three are pretty good gimmicks and reasonably designed cards given the brands they're targeting, and the Sword gives me a pretty good feeling about Unstable -- it's cute but not in an obnoxious way, and it's clearly designed to be actually usable as a real card in things like Commander or Cube.

They're trying to dissuade flippers w/ the SDCC stuff, it ended up at like 160-ish this year. Can't blame em.

Not a rhetorical question: do you think they really benefit more from doing it this way than just, say, tripling the print run and making it more plausible for people to easily get at the show?

bigkrev

I think all three are pretty good gimmicks and reasonably designed cards given the brands they're targeting, and the Sword gives me a pretty good feeling about Unstable -- it's cute but not in an obnoxious way, and it's clearly designed to be actually usable as a real card in things like Commander or Cube.

Not a rhetorical question: do you think they really benefit more from doing it this way than just, say, tripling the print run and making it more plausible for people to easily get at the show?

Funko makes tiny runs of Pops for SDCC (like 500), prices them at $10, and they eBay for like $500.

kirblar

INot a rhetorical question: do you think they really benefit more from doing it this way than just, say, tripling the print run and making it more plausible for people to easily get at the show?
I think once you decide on a print run it's better to try and guess the market rate based on past years instead of letting people just stockpile en masse to flip.

I mean if anything the Planeswalker frame was the antecedent to the Magic 2015 frame -- it's got the same rounded corners, same non-rectangle swoopy shape, same white-on-black legal text.
Sure but those are design features I'm speaking of the framing of the art mostly which is oval for PWs but still perfectly rectangular for the m15 frame. For the same reason, and others, I loathe Zendikar full art land frames these days.

Unhinged got it right.

kirblar

M15 full art frames look terrible w/ the old arts, are ok with the new ones designed specifically for that size frame.

But older ones are still better.

This is what I'm referring to
29.jpg
184.jpg
I like the m15 frame, it's easily recognizable and easy on the eyes but PW frame is doing way too much compared, I like the full art and the art trasncedning the frame that's fine but everyhting else is kinda overdesigned. So many edges and curves. Like why is there an addittional indent on the bottom above the hologram?

Kirblar is right with the old art looking terrible in it though.

Santiako

pvddr's draft got salvaged at the end with the late javalineer and drake, otherwise the deck would've been really rough (it still kinda is).

Maro answered sigma's ask and said that the "transform" thing is only for Grimlock, which honestly kind of makes it weirder.

I think once you decide on a print run it's better to try and guess the market rate based on past years instead of letting people just stockpile en masse to flip.

That makes sense, yeah.

Sure but those are design features I'm speaking of the framing of the art mostly which is oval for PWs but still perfectly rectangular for the m15 frame.

Ahh, okay. Yeah there are some weird issues with the planeswalker frame. I don't think the rounded bottom is an issue but there's no reason for the art box to have oval edges instead of just curved corners like the text box, and the uneven shape of the type line and the little flanges at the bottom are distracting.

To be honest, I think they need to do another frame redesign. The core of M15 is good (and now that we've had it for a while, clearly an improvement over 8E imo) but there's still other stuff they should tweak. I think they should start using the Future Sight type icons all the time (they could put them where the DFC indicators go, since we know that doesn't negatively impact the design) and maybe make use of a few other advancements, like using a special frame treatment with P/T box for every non-creature that can animate.

Unhinged got it right.

The Unglued lands are still my favorite overall cards holistically speaking (dat Nielsen forest!) but these are easily the best full-art frames, just because they focus 100% on maximizing the art space on the card.

Ahh, okay. Yeah there are some weird issues with the planeswalker frame. I don't think the rounded bottom is an issue but there's no reason for the art box to have oval edges instead of just curved corners like the text box, and the uneven shape of the type line and the little flanges at the bottom are distracting.

To be honest, I think they need to do another frame redesign. The core of M15 is good (and now that we've had it for a while, clearly an improvement over 8E imo) but there's still other stuff they should tweak. I think they should start using the Future Sight type icons all the time (they could put them where the DFC indicators go, since we know that doesn't negatively impact the design) and maybe make use of a few other advancements, like using a special frame treatment with P/T box for every non-creature that can animate.

The Unglued lands are still my favorite overall cards holistically speaking (dat Nielsen forest!) but these are easily the best full-art frames, just because they focus 100% on maximizing the art space on the card.
Unhinged lands with a proper typeline below the art would be the perfect frame, set symbol stuck in the border is terrible, but yeah the art on unglued ones is superior. The tap symbol on top is bothering me during play a lot otoh, I end up untapping them upside down on a regular basis

A unification and tightening of the current frame sounds about right. As a leftie the FS type icons are of no concern to me but I don't see the harm in them either.
And yeah vehicles having a regular PT box is distracting while manlands not having them drowns them among regular lands. Unique designs could solve both issues. Manlands getting PT boxes would also simplify rules and templating governing them.

Ashodin

SO Fraying Sanity went 1-1-1 at FNM.

I need to get Pull from Tomorrow in my SB, I want to be able to draw a shitton of cards and look for more mill cards.

bigkrev

If I were Frank, i'd have scooped and dropped to go get dinner if I was involved in this game at FNM

LSV literally announced right when he first decided to do this that it'd be for one year, Kaladesh through Hour of Devastation?

Yeah, and they froze the platinum he earned the last season he played in as well.

It made sense, as a new father, that he could do commentary and not have to spend 1-2 weeks before each pro tour away from his family testing, but it looks like he did the same amount of travel this year (still doing testing for the PT so he could talk better about the formats), so who knows.

Santiako

I love Finkel (and Karsten), what a great match.

LSV literally announced right when he first decided to do this that it'd be for one year, Kaladesh through Hour of Devastation?

I did not remember that.

SO Fraying Sanity went 1-1-1 at FNM.

I need to get Pull from Tomorrow in my SB, I want to be able to draw a shitton of cards and look for more mill cards.

Can you win against monored at all? Seems like mill would be both too slow and too uninteractive to do anything against it.

Yeef

Had a pretty sweet BW zombie deck in draft tonight. Liliana's Mastery, Lord of the Accursed, Unraveling Mummy & Unconventional Tactics. All but 3 of my creatures were zombies, too (non-zombies were Banewhip Punisher, Angel of the God-Pharaoh & Soul Scrounger). Tactics won me a lot of games. It's the first time I actually got to play it in an all-in zombie deck. It performed even better than expected.

Ashodin

Can you win against monored at all? Seems like mill would be both too slow and too uninteractive to do anything against it.

Haven't faced the deck, so I couldn't tell you. Based on what I have though, I'm sure I would play the tempo game and try to slow them down. Either that or go for Fraying Sanity x2 + Startled, which should end things on turn 5.

Couldn't you merge the oketra's monument and god pharao's gift decks through a trasnformative sideboard?

Finally Amaz he 3-0d his draft. Uh UR control is a terrible matchup for Zombies from my experience.

Santiako

Amaz on stream, the guy is doing really well (7-3-1) and is against Wafo Tapa, a legend of control decks.

EDIT: Hilarious how Paul and Riley talk around Hearthstone without ever saying the name lol I wonder if they are forbid from even naming the game.

Explanation for Transformers and transform from its community thread.
They can legally say it, but Hasbro doesn't whenever possible, because you can't trademark or copyright "transform" in that usage, so it could easily become a brand name used generically to mean any toy that changes form, like Kleenex or Xerox have become with their usage. Hasbro wants to avoid that legal loophole so they always refer to the toys "changing" or "converting," not transforming. This does not seem to be a rule adhered to in the fiction, for the most part, but definitely is with the merch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom