• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Formula 1 2010/2011 Off-Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leunam

Current Driver Lineup Updated 03/09/11

Red Bull Racing Renault
1 Sebastian Vettel (GER)
2 Mark Webber (AUS)

McLaren Mercedes
3 Jenson Button (GBR)
4 Lewis Hamilton (GBR)

Ferrari
5 Fernando Alonso (SPA)
6 Felipe Massa (BRA)

Mercedes
7 Michael Schumacher (GER)
8 Nico Rosberg (GER)

Renault
9 Nick Heidfeld (GER)
10 Vitaly Petrov (RUS)

Williams Cosworth
11 Rubens Barrichello (BRA)
12 Pastor Maldonado (VEN)

Force India Mercedes
14 Adrian Sutil (GER)
15 Paul Di Resta (GBR)

Sauber Ferrari
16 Kamui Kobayashi (JPN)
17 Sergio Perez Mendoza (MEX)

STR Ferrari
18 Sebastian Buemi (SWI)
19 Jaime Alguersuari (SPA)

Lotus Renault
20 Jarno Trulli (ITA)
21 Heikki Kovalainen (FIN)

HRT Cosworth
22 Narain Karthikeyan (IND)
23 Vitantonio Liuzzi (ITA)

Virgin Cosworth
24 Timo Glock (GER)
25 Jerome D'Ambrosio (BEL)

2011 Season Schedule

1 Gulf Air Bahrain Grand Prix
Bahrain Bahrain International Circuit, Sakhir - 13 March​
2 Qantas Australian Grand Prix
Australia Albert Park Grand Prix Circuit, Melbourne - 27 March​
3 Petronas Malaysia Grand Prix
Malaysia Sepang International Circuit, Kuala Lumpur - 10 April​
4 UBS Chinese Grand Prix
People's Republic of China Shanghai International Circuit - 17 April​
5 Turkish Grand Prix
Turkey Istanbul Park - 8 May​
6 Gran Premio de España
Spain Circuit de Catalunya, Barcelona - 22 May​
7 Grand Prix de Monaco
Monaco Circuit de Monaco, Monte Carlo - 29 May​
8 Grand Prix du Canada
Canada Circuit Gilles Villeneuve, Montreal - 12 June​
9 European Grand Prix
Spain Valencia Street Circuit - 26 June​
10 Santander British Grand Prix
United Kingdom Silverstone Circuit - 10 July​
11 Großer Preis Santander von Deutschland
Germany Nürburgring - 24 July​
12 Eni Magyar Nagydíj
Hungary Hungaroring, Budapest - 31 July​
13 Belgian Grand Prix
Belgium Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps, Spa - 28 August​
14 Gran Premio Santander d'Italia
Italy Autodromo Nazionale Monza - 11 September​
15 Singapore Grand Prix
Singapore Marina Bay Street Circuit - 25 September​
16 Japanese Grand Prix
Japan Suzuka Circuit, Suzuka - 9 October​
17 Korean Grand Prix
South Korea Korean International Circuit, Yeongam - 16 October​
18 Indian Grand Prix
India Jaypee Group Circuit, Greater Noida - 30 October​
19 Etihad Airways Abu Dhabi Grand Prix
United Arab Emirates Yas Marina Circuit - 13 November​
20 Grande Prêmio do Brasil
Brazil Autódromo José Carlos Pace, São Paulo - 27 November​

2011 Technical Revisions

Farewell to F-ducts and double diffusers
Two of the most overused technical watchwords of the past two seasons will be made redundant next year, as both double diffusers and F-ducts are banned. Indeed any system, device or procedure which uses driver movement as a means of altering the aerodynamic characteristics of the car is prohibited from 2011.

The return of Pirelli
Following Bridgestone’s decision to withdraw at the end of this season after 13 years, the Italian company will take over as the sport’s sole tyre supplier from 2011. The Italian company, last part of F1 in 1991, will provide all teams with rubber for the next three years, in compliance with existing F1 sporting and technical regulations.

Adjustable rear wings
Under new moveable bodywork regulations for next season, drivers will be able to adjust the rear wing from the cockpit, with the current moveable front wing due to be dropped. The system’s availability is expected to be electronically governed and under initial proposals it would only be activated when a driver is less than one second behind another at pre-determined points on the track.

A comeback for KERS
A badge of honour for some, a bugbear for others on its debut in 2009, KERS is to be reintroduced next season after the teams mutually agreed to suspend its use in 2010. KERS - or Kinetic Energy Recovery Systems - take the waste energy generated under braking and turn it into additional power. This is then made available to the driver in fixed quantities per lap via a steering wheel-mounted ‘boost button’.

Read more at the link.

2011 Team Unveiling

Jan 28 - Ferrari
News/Photos
Jan 31 - Lotus
News/Photos
Jan 31 - Renault
News/Photos
Jan 31 - Sauber
News/Photos
Feb 1 - Mercedes
News/Photos
Feb 1 - Red Bull
News/Photos
Feb 1 - Toro Rosso
News/Photos
Feb 1 - Williams
News/Photos
Feb 4 - McLaren
News/Photos
Feb 7 - Virgin
News/Photos
Feb 8 - Force India
News/Photos
TBA - HRT F1
News/Photos

Shaneus

Are the TBA's a sign that they've ditched their current drivers or that they just haven't announced their 2010 drivers are coming back?

Only interested because I've started following Daniel Ricciardo and would love to see him get a ride in something, most likely an STR (given his test driver status with RBR).

Edit: It's been announced that he's the test/reserve driver for STR in 2011. Great work.

Leunam

A little of both, I'm sure. Adrian Sutil, for instance, will probably be back with Force India for sure, unless he's signed with a better team. However, Vitantonio Liuzzi was basically fighting for his seat, so he may not be back on the same team. All speculation, of course.

BAW

Banned
Kobayashi seat guarantees a good season.

Also, here's to the backfielder teams not sucking so much in 2011.

thechemist

Williams announces Maldonado for '11 Confirmation.

Williams has confirmed that GP2 champion Pastor Maldonado will be its second driver in 2011, taking the seat occupied by Nico Hulkenberg this season.

Maldonado had been extensively linked with Williams in recent months, and tested for the team during the recent rookie sessions in Abu Dhabi, where he also spent two days with Hispania. He is believed to bring significant levels of personal sponsorship to the team.

"I feel very privileged that Williams has selected me as one of their race drivers," Maldonado said. "It is a great way to end what has already been an amazing year for me.

"I tested with the team in Abu Dhabi, but can't wait to start working with everyone properly to be in the best possible shape going into next year. I will be doing my best over the winter to prepare myself, and I know the team will be working hard to ensure a successful season.

"2011 will be the first time in nearly 30 years that a Venezuelan has driven a Formula 1 car so I will be looking to get some good results in return for the support my country has given me to help get me to this position today."

The 25-year-old took the GP2 title with seven victories this year, but team boss Frank Williams said he had been watching Maldonado's progress since his maiden GP2 win in Monaco with the Trident team in 2007, when he had just moved across from the World Series by Renault.

"Pastor first caught my eye in 2007 when he drove a masterful race at Monaco," Williams said. "Since then, he has regularly reminded us of his unquestionable talent with some skilful wins, particularly during this year's GP2 championship, taking an unsurpassed record of six successive victories.

"Of course, we already know Pastor from the time he spent with the team at the Abu Dhabi test, but we are very much looking forward to developing his talent over
the winter and a fruitful season with him next year."

Williams has already announced that Rubens Barrichello will be retained as its other race driver next season, with Valtteri Bottas remaining in the test and reserve role.

S. L.

Shaneus said:
Are the TBA's a sign that they've ditched their current drivers or that they just haven't announced their 2010 drivers are coming back?

Only interested because I've started following Daniel Ricciardo and would love to see him get a ride in something, most likely an STR (given his test driver status with RBR).

Edit: It's been announced that he's the test/reserve driver for STR in 2011. Great work.
i think he is supposed to drive every Friday in free practice, kinda like Di Resta this year.

Also I don't really see where Hulk could end up...
maybe Virgin next to Glock?

Jinjo

S. L. said:
i think he is supposed to drive every Friday in free practice, kinda like Di Resta this year.

Also I don't really see where Hulk could end up...
maybe Virgin next to Glock?

Williams tried to shamefully ditch him at HRT already. Hulkenberg didn't take it. Force India was a possibility, but that seat seems to get filled by Di Resta now. Petrov is set to retain his drive. So Virgin is probably his best bet yeah. I don't like it one bit. Hulkenberg was my favourite rookie.

Williams are stupid for ditching the guy that got them their first pole and positive publicity since over a decade. That's probably worth more money than that douchebag Maldonado is bringing in. I hope he fails miserably.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Yeah for new thread and great OP as usual Leunam.

I'm predicting major controversy over the new rear wing for next year.
Ive heard some rumours about Mercedes system.

navanman

Dead Man said:
Nice work on the new thread. Can't believe Williams ditched Hulk and kept Rubens.

Not surprising to me. Rubens gives great direction and feedback on what the car needs and helped them develop into top 10 team this year consistently.

Dead Man

navanman said:
Not surprising to me. Rubens gives great direction and feedback on what the car needs and helped them develop into top 10 team this year consistently.
Yeah, not denying that, it just seems that Hulkenberg would be a better long term prospect since he seems as fast, and they could grab him for a long term contract for cheap. Especially since Rubens has to be thinking about retiring soon. Maybe Hulk sucks at testing and feedback though. I love Rubens as a driver, so I'm glad he is still there, I just want Hulk to have a drive too.

Juicy Bob

Dead Man said:
Yeah, not denying that, it just seems that Hulkenberg would be a better long term prospect since he seems as fast, and they could grab him for a long term contract for cheap. Especially since Rubens has to be thinking about retiring soon. Maybe Hulk sucks at testing and feedback though. I love Rubens as a driver, so I'm glad he is still there, I just want Hulk to have a drive too.

It's a sad day for F1 when a team like Williams drops a guy like Hulkenberg for a less promising pay-driver.

Kobayashi and Kubica to dominate this season for sure.

It'll be interesting to see who fills the TBA seats. There's a few drivers I don't see coming back.

navanman

Crazy rumour of the day!
Fernandez is going to sell Team Lotus to Proton and then buy out Genji Capital and run the Renault F1 team.

S. L.

Foliorum Viridum said:
Kobayashi and Kubica to dominate this season for sure.

It'll be interesting to see who fills the TBA seats. There's a few drivers I don't see coming back.
STR (Buemi and Aleguesari) and Renault (Petrov) are 99% set.
for Virgin Glock is pretty much set i think.
Sutil will be at Force India for sure and second driver will be Liuzzi or Di Resta.

so that leaves 1 Virgin and two HRT seats.

navanman said:
Crazy rumour of the day!
Fernandez is going to sell Team Lotus to Proton and then buy out Genji Capital and run the Renault F1 team.
that seems a biiiit to crazy just to run a better F1 team :lol :lol
Much better option would be to buy STR imo, solid team and it's for sale.

keyboardcat said:
any news on pedro 'take no prisoners' de la rosa?
Last I heard, he has a good nascar offer but he wants to stay on F1. His only chance is HRT and he's locked for a seat if HRT is "competitive" as in racing for sure (not sure right now after toyota debacle) and the car isn't as shitty as 2010.

I wouldn't put much faith in HRT staying though.

h3ro

Poor Hulk.

If he isn't able to get a race drive, I hope he signs on to be Red Bull or Ferrari's test driver so he can jump in when the Webber/Massa contracts are up.

Kid can drive, Wili Weber said so. :p

h3ro

Sorry to double post, but great news everyone!

NELSON PIQUET JR. HAS A DRIVE FOR THIS YEAR!

34t6g7t.jpg

It's a premium model too. :D

Leunam

lol, that's from Prologue.

As for De la Rosa, the rumor was HRT for a while before the season ended. Had no idea he had a NASCAR offer.

Jinjo

h3ro said:
Poor Hulk.

If he isn't able to get a race drive, I hope he signs on to be Red Bull or Ferrari's test driver so he can jump in when the Webber/Massa contracts are up.

Kid can drive, Wili Weber said so. :p

That would be awesome, but very unlikely. Webber will be replaced by that Riccardio kid. Kubica would probably make the switch to Ferrari sooner than Hulkenberg would get Massa's seat. That being said, he could land Kubica's empty Renault seat in 2012.

Or Schumacher's empty Mercedes seat.

And Mercedes GP could then be rebranded to Team Nico! :lol

Leunam

Updated the OP with the 2011 calendar.

Also, for those who haven't seen it, the India Jaypee Group Circuit:

800px-Jaypee_Group_Circuit.svg.png

The circuit will be part of the 2,500 acres (10 km2) Jaypee Greens Sports City, which is planned to include a 100,000 seat cricket stadium, 18-hole golf course, 25,000 seat hockey stadium and a sports academy. The sports complex is expected to cost Rs 4000 crore and generate $170m of revenue annually, and employ 10,000 people. It has been reported that the circuit will be the second-fastest on the calendar after Monza and that the design was forwarded to the teams to gather feedback on how the circuit could be altered to improve overtaking. This has resulted in some minor changes as became clear from April 2010. The planned hairpin at turn seven will be removed, and the track at turn three will be widened to allow drivers to take different lines throughout the corner. More information was released in August 2010, revealing that there were plans to make the circuit one of the most challenging for drivers, with the circuit rising fourteen metres within the first three corners alone and a banked double-apex bend on the far side of the circuit.

operon

navanman said:
Yeah for new thread and great OP as usual Leunam.

I'm predicting major controversy over the new rear wing for next year.
Ive heard some rumours about Mercedes system.

what rumours, you can't mention them and then not mention them:D

Frawdder

I'm missing F1 already :(

Shame for Hulk, he showed that he has talent, but as is unfortunate in F1, money > talent. Hope he lands a drive and hope to see him in one of the top teams in a few years.

moojito

It's probably worth pointing out that Maldonado won the gp2 championship and had six straight wins, to be fair to him. This time it's probably a case of money + talent > talent.

navanman

moojito said:
It's probably worth pointing out that Maldonado won the gp2 championship and had six straight wins, to be fair to him. This time it's probably a case of money + talent > talent.

Worst ever driver line-up in 2010 in GP2 and Hulk absolutely whipped him in GP2 in 2009.

The rumour about the Mercedes rear wing is that the system they used this year isn't illegal for 2011 season and the will use it along with the new rear wing configuration for great straightline speed boost.
Mercedes system wasn't an F-duct so isn't banned.

Leunam

moojito said:

Well if we're going to compare the two it should be noted that Maldonado was in GP2 for 4 years managing to win last year (16 points over Sergio Perez who came in second). Nico won the GP2 championship in his first year.

By comparison, Sergio Perez was in GP2 for two years and got second in his second year (to Maldonado). Vitaly Petrov was in GP2 for four years and got second in his last year (to Hulkenberg). Doesn't indicate much I just thought it was interesting. :)

DrM

Redmond's Baby
navanman said:
The rumour about the Mercedes rear wing is that the system they used this year isn't illegal for 2011 season and the will use it along with the new rear wing configuration for great straightline speed boost.
Also they are already testing fully functional KERS system in factory

Their mid-season switch to 2011 could be major factor.

operon

navanman said:
Worst ever driver line-up in 2010 in GP2 and Hulk absolutely whipped him in GP2 in 2009.

Looking forward to schumi driving it then

S. L.

operon said:
Looking forward to schumi driving it then
ehh i still don't believe Brawn/Mercedes have it what it takes to develop a winner car.
in the '10 season they clearly proved they had no idea what they were doing. In '09 they had the awesome honda car, but as everyone was catching up they didn't manage to do much in terms of improving the car.

Dead Man

S. L. said:
ehh i still don't believe Brawn/Mercedes have it what it takes to develop a winner car.
in the '10 season they clearly proved they had no idea what they were doing. In '09 they had the awesome honda car, but as everyone was catching up they didn't manage to do much in terms of improving the car.
Of course, it was largely the same group of people that built the 09 car to begin with.

S. L.

Dead Man said:
Of course, it was largely the same group of people that built the 09 car to begin with.
true, true. but either they it was totally luck that they build that supercar or they totally lost their edge.

Dead Man

S. L. said:
true, true. but either they it was totally luck that they build that supercar or they totally lost their edge.
Well, it's hard to build a car that dominant 2 years in a row. I think the same as any successful team, they compromised their following year.

moojito

Aye, I'm pretty hopeful for mercedes this coming year. If they're tailoring it to Schumacher though, I don't know how well Rosberg will fare. Hopefully he's better able to adapt to a different car than Michael is!

Jinjo

moojito said:
Aye, I'm pretty hopeful for mercedes this coming year. If they're tailoring it to Schumacher though, I don't know how well Rosberg will fare. Hopefully he's better able to adapt to a different car than Michael is!

I think this year Rosberg has shown that he's better able to adapt to a "different" (read: shit) car than Michael is.

That being said Mercedes will not 'tailor' any car specially to Schumacher. Their first concern will be building a car that not sucks. Schumacher will not fare any better compared to Rosberg next year than he did this year.

Mush

Leunam said:
Updated the OP with the 2011 calendar.

Also, for those who haven't seen it, the India Jaypee Group Circuit:

800px-Jaypee_Group_Circuit.svg.png
The best looking new track I've seen in years.

Has Schumi said how long he'll stay in F1 for? What's his contact with Mercedes for?

Jinjo

Mush said:
The best looking new track I've seen in years.

Has Schumi said how long he'll stay in F1 for? What's his contact with Mercedes for?

It looks even better with the elevation changes showing.

india6.jpg

First non-stinker Tilke track ever?

Dead Man

Jinjo said:
It looks even better with the elevation changes showing.

india6.jpg

First non-stinker Tilke track ever?
I think it would be better if they got rid of one of the dogleg sections at the bottom of the track, too many mickey mouse corners, but I am hopeful. I wish the cars were not so aero dependant, I miss long fast sweeping corners.

navanman

Think I'm going to be sick! WHY WHY WHY!!!!!!
Formula 1 stakeholders have reached an agreement for grand prix cars to use a new type of 'green' engine from 2013.
The sport will switch from the current 2.4-litre V8s to 1.6-litre four-cylinder turbo engines with energy recovery systems and fuel restrictions.

The move is an attempt to mirror the trend towards fuel-efficiency in road cars and to popularise it, increasing public demand for such engines.
The new rules could be confirmed by governing body the FIA on 10 December.
Mercedes and Ferrari had been reluctant to agree to the move as recently as a month ago, believing that it was an unnecessary expense at a time when F1 was trying to reduce costs.
But a spokesman for Ferrari told BBC Sport the rules had been agreed and he would be "surprised" if it was not announced by the world council.
He admitted Ferrari had concerns about the move on cost grounds but added: "An agreement is there, and when there is an agreement you work accordingly."
A high-level source involved in the talks said it was "most likely" that the FIA would announce the move on Friday.
The aim is for the new rules to improve the efficiency of F1 engines by as much as 50%.
Care has been taken to ensure the performance of cars will not be affected and total power outputs will remain at current levels - approximately 750bhp.
By adopting the regulations, F1 hopes to widen its appeal to sponsors - commercial insiders say some companies are reluctant to get involved in F1 because of its image of being wasteful with resources.

The agreement to change the regulations from the 2.4-litre normally aspirated V8s used in F1 since 2006 comes after months of protracted negotiations and it had looked as if the switch might have to be delayed until at least 2014, and perhaps until as long as 2017.
F1 commercial boss Bernie Ecclestone has been firmly opposed to the rule change.
He told BBC Sport: "We have a very good engine formula. Why should we change it to something that is going to cost millions of pounds and that nobody wants and that could end up with one manufacturer getting a big advantage?"
But the change has been agreed in a series of recent meetings between F1's current engine manufacturers - which also include Renault and private company Cosworth - and the final touches were put to the regulations by a steering group of F1 engineers on Thursday.
It is understood that a series of checks and balances have been written into the regulations to keep costs down and to ensure it should be impossible for one manufacturer to steal a march on the others in terms of performance.
This will primarily be done through resource restriction - such as limiting the amount of people or time that can be devoted to a project.

German car giant Volkswagen has also been heavily involved in the discussions and has privately indicated to F1 insiders that the only way it would consider entering F1 would be if the sport adopted these new rules.
However, sources say VW is giving conflicting messages about whether it will commit to an F1 engine project. If it did enter the sport, it is expected to use its Audi brand.
BBC Sport has been told the regulations will go before the F1 Commission - a group of stakeholders that agrees all rule changes - on Thursday 9 December before being rubber-stamped by the World Council the following day.
The move is a triumph for both F1 teams' organisation Fota and FIA president Jean Todt, both of whom have made increasing the future sustainability of F1 a key aim.
Leading figures in F1 hope that the adoption of the new rules will insulate the sport from charges of wastefulness at a time when supplies of fossil fuels are diminishing and there is pressure for the world to cut its production of greenhouse gases.
The aim is that by associating these energy-saving, fuel-efficient technologies with a glamorous and popular sport, they will become desirable in road cars, where their use is already increasing dramatically.
About 600bhp of the 750bhp produced by the engines will come from the four-cylinder single-turbo engine itself, with the rest being provided by energy storage and power-boost systems.
These systems - known as Kers - were first used in F1 in 2009 before being abandoned for 2010 and are being reintroduced next season.
For 2013, the power capacity of the Kers systems will be increased from 60kw to 120kw.
Fuel consumption will be restricted both by limiting fuel flow and introducing a maximum capacity for races.
The new engines will not do more than 10,000 revs per minute - current F1 engines spin at 18,000rpm.
In subsequent years, complex new turbocharging technology called compounding will be introduced to further enhance efficiency.

The regulations have been framed to encourage the pursuit of efficiency in engine design, dramatically increasing the amount of power that can be produced per litre of fuel burnt.
Those lessons in efficiency can then be transferred to road cars so that considerably less fuel is used for a given amount of performance.

moojito

I think I might be missing something. It seems to say they'll be keeping the same power output from the engines while having them more efficient. You're going to be sick! Why, why why?

Deadman

To be fair all through this season i was thinking "if only this could be more fuel efficient"...

Breakaway series asap.

Jinjo

moojito said:
I think I might be missing something. It seems to say they'll be keeping the same power output from the engines while having them more efficient. You're going to be sick! Why, why why?

Because the cars will become slower. And F1 being the pinnacle of motorsport technology and all that.

Also, I don't give enough of a shit about Volkswagen to let them compromise the entirety of F1 just that it's enough for them to enter. We've done fine enough without you. Thank you very much.

Seanspeed

Banned
Wes said:
Quite looking forward to the return of KERS.
I dont think I am. I think they should have either had the adjustable rear wing OR KERS. Not both. Plus, it wont make such a difference if all top the teams use it(which they will, since there's less of a penalty with the increased minimum weight).

Or if they really want to do KERS for 'green' reasons, then open up development for it a bit. Right now, its just so limited in use that its not really roadcar-relevant other than the decreases in size and weight of the unit.

navanman

All this fuel efficiency thing is a load of balls, its all for PR for the engine companies not for the future of F1.

A single flight to Australia or Japan from Europe makes a bigger carbon footprint than the entire F1 grid for the whole season.

Deadman

Im pretty sure ive heard Anthony Davidson say that f1 engines are already much more fuel efficient than regular car engines.

Making f1 cars green and fuel efficient wont make those things "cool". It will make f1 less cool.

Jinjo

Everyone can make an engine more fuel efficient by downgrading the engine. It's only actual progress if you manage to make the engines more fuel efficient by making them more...well...fuel efficient.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom