• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT13| Ixalan - Port to Sideboard

Santiako

It's kind of weird that that this one Exiles before it transforms, but the other ones don't. I guess there might be a little more general weirdness with going from Creature to Land, instead of Artifact to Land.

I think it's because otherwise you'd have a tapped attacking noncreature land at the end of combat and that could get weird.

EDIT: Or what Justin quoted below :p

Justin

It's kind of weird that that this one Exiles before it transforms, but the other ones don't. I guess there might be a little more general weirdness with going from Creature to Land, instead of Artifact to Land.

This particular card transforms oddly via exile because if it simply turned over ("transformed"), it would become a 0/0 land and die due to how crewed Vehicles without a printed power and toughness work in the rules.

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/card-preview/conquering-design-ixalan-2017-09-05

bigkrev

The flavor of the card, which I love
This card tells the story of early conquerors sailing their ships, crashing ashore, then dismantling their ship for the lumber required to build their first settlement. There's no going back now!

Initially, the backside was creating creature tokens of your choice to help settle the new plane, but we wanted token-making as a reward elsewhere in the set. Also, "Choose a creature type" tokens like on Volrath's Laboratory are difficult to illustrate. We ultimately settled on card-flow upgrades (loot, draw, regrowth) that felt like a port where fresh goods would enter. The bigger your settlement (mana base), the better the quality of goods flowing in.

Santiako

The art is great:

c4rd4r7_vC18HIkXTK.jpg
c4rd4r7_sh2z5C49ez.jpg

Repgnar

Is that 3/5 of the flip cards so far? Really hoping for a westvale Abbey replacement like sacrificing creatures to a volcano/dinosaur.

We have the Hascon drafts, Magic Arena announcement, and more spoilers this week right?

Justin

Is that 3/5 of the flip cards so far? Really hoping for a westvale Abbey replacement like sacrificing creatures to a volcano/dinosaur.

We have the Hascon drafts, Magic Arena announcement, and more spoilers this week right?

There are 10 flip cards. Arena reveal is 1pm Thursday and Iconic Masters drafts this weekend. Spoilers all this and next week with the pre-pre release stream next Saturday.

Santiako

I can see control decks using this as a repeatable source of card advantage and maze of ith for the late game.

I dig it.

There's 10 flip cards. And yes, we have Magic Arena announcement in two days, Hascon drafts this weekend and Ixalan spoilers all week.

OnPoint

In a format consisting of 12,000+ cards how many cards out of a new 270 card set can you realistically expect to make an impact on the format considering they give no consideration to modern when designing the new cards?

Yes, I can expect that. I feel like other sets had more cards that saw and continue to see play. Look at something like Khans as a set and the cards it provided a number of decks in Modern.

- Swiftspear, Deflecting Palm, Stubborn Denial, Siege Rhino, Become Immense, Anafenza, the Foremost, Murderous Cut, Treasure Cruise (banned), Dig Through Time (banned)

That's a bunch of cards still played to some degree today besides the two that were so powerful they had to be banned. This list isn't even counting the fact that it brought the Onslaught fetches into the format. It was a very impactful set.

Shadows Over Innistrad is also proving to be pretty impactful so far as well.

- Nahiri, Anguished Unmaking, Thing in the Ice, Prized Amalgam, Traverse the Uvenwald, Tireless Tracker, Insolent Neonate, Archangel Avacyn

Then I look at something like Amonkhet and I'm like meh.

- Rhonas, Gideon, Cast Out, Archfiend of Ifnir, Curator of Mysteries, Vizer of Remedies, Desert Cerodon, Horror of the Broken Lands

Numerically it's basically equal, but it's just not impressive because 5 of the 8 are in one low tier deck.

bigkrev

Yes, I can expect that. I feel like other sets had more cards that saw and continue to see play. Look at something like Khans as a set and the cards it provided a number of decks in Modern.

- Swiftspear, Deflecting Palm, Stubborn Denial, Siege Rhino, Become Immense, Anafenza, the Foremost, Murderous Cut, Treasure Cruise (banned), Dig Through Time (banned)

That's a bunch of cards still played to some degree today besides the two that were so powerful they had to be banned. This list isn't even counting the fact that it brought the Onslaught fetches into the format. It was a very impactful set.

- Nahiri, Anguished Unmaking, Thing in the Ice, Prized Amalgam, Traverse the Uvenwald, Tireless Tracker, Insolent Neonate, Archangel Avacyn

- Rhonas, Gideon, Cast Out, Archfiend of Ifnir, Curator of Mysteries, Vizer of Remedies, Desert Cerodon, Horror of the Broken Lands

Numerically it's basically equal, but it's just not impressive because 5 of the 8 are in one low tier deck.

You left out Flooded Strand, Wooded Foothills, ect from the Khans list. :>

Justin

thanks for the rundown. Like I said I don't know much about modern so it is interesting. Are the HOU uncommon lands seeing any play?

Santiako

I've seen the white and black deserts as one ofs in some BW Eldrazi decks, but that's pretty much it.

EDIT: And the blue one is now a staple of mill decks of course.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Why is that Mythic? I can't imagine I'd rather have that than Pull from Tomorrow.

We last saw this effect in Theros I guess? With Brain Maggot?

There you just got a 1/1 on the ground, but you could grab creatures. However, you almost never grab creatures with these things - you almost always take the removal spells. So getting a 1/2 flier vs a 1/1 dork actually seems like it's basically all upside. This card is sweet.

bigkrev

Also, like the Green Mythic, you could easily convince me this card was something else, and they had to kill it and replace it at the last minute without testing

Top Bottom