• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT13| Ixalan - Port to Sideboard

It's pretty much just a Maze of Ith that can't target your own stuff and which you need to jump through hoops to get. I mean, not exactly because they do work differently but it's roughly the same thing.

traveler

Not Wario
It's been a while since I've played commander but I'm assuming, if journeyers kite is still played, the new flip maze of ith takes its place?

DrArchon

DI-Sj-VXUAAhNVR.jpg

I adore that this has two toughness. I can imagine they had it at one and then thought "Oh, right, Walking Ballista."

y2dvd

It's pretty much just a Maze of Ith that can't target your own stuff and which you need to jump through hoops to get. I mean, not exactly because they do work differently but it's roughly the same thing.

Noooooo I can't use this on my own Alesha. I'm guess every EDH decks wants this anyways.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
0-2 in Worldwake league so far. I think my overall record in this league is 0-10. I always run into mirrors and my opponent always has like 3 paths and 2 bolts in their hand.

You might ask why I am playing in a league I'm obviously no good at

the answer my dear

is that I have a lot of leftover tickets and the only other thing to play is Amonkhet draft league and hahahahahah no.

Justin

0-2 in Worldwake league so far. I think my overall record in this league is 0-10. I always run into mirrors and my opponent always has like 3 paths and 2 bolts in their hand.

You might ask why I am playing in a league I'm obviously no good at

the answer my dear

is that I have a lot of leftover tickets and the only other thing to play is Amonkhet draft league and hahahahahah no.

Maybe save those tickets for tomorrow?
http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-online/modern-cube-cardlist

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

Modern Cube is really bad so I wouldn't bother to save them. But I'm mostly just burning the tickets to burn the tickets tbh. Having moved on to all sorts of other board games I figured out there are lots of games that aren't ancient designs where 70% of games are just one guy winning the entire time so I don't play Magic very often these days.

Posting this here so I can remember to put it in the Rivals of Ixalan thread.
tumblr_n23a486LsZ1sycuvlo6_r1_500.gif

In fact, might as well start asking now. What rivals need to be edited into the Rivals header image (like with Eldritch Moon)? Sasuke and Vegeta, not Joker, to give a sense of what I mean.

Angry Grimace

I accomplished the Ashodin wet-dream just now and equipped a Sword of War and Peace onto a Germ token holding a Batterskull. I also did that with a Mirran Crusader. Against Jund.

OnPoint

Posting this here so I can remember to put it in the Rivals of Ixalan thread.
https://24.media.tumblr.com/9e57189b698007c365657233310b7949/tumblr_n23a486LsZ1sycuvlo6_r1_500.gif[/img

In fact, might as well start asking now. What rivals need to be edited into the Rivals header image (like with Eldritch Moon).
? Sasuke and Vegeta, not Joker, to give a sense of what I mean.[/QUOTE]
Gary Oak
Groose
Volrath

Bandini

Man, I've been getting my ass kicked with UW Control. Think it's part bad play and part bad luck, but I'm about ready to go back to Jeskai Geist after only 15 or so matches.

Was at PAX this weekend and went off the beaten path a bit to get lunch and coffee. Walked right by LSV and Gaby Spartz with some tall, handsome dude in between them. I marked out a little but didn't want to bug them so I didn't say anything

Santiako

Apparently, goblins are just monkeys in Ixalan :/

Happy to see more goblins though. It's been more than a year (three full blocks) without one.

DI-5gaIUQAAAYT0.jpg

Glix

Apparently, goblins are just monkeys in Ixalan :/

Happy to see more goblins though. It's been more than a year.

DI-5gaIUQAAAYT0.jpg

I know tribal synergy and what-not, but that card just seems awful to me. I was shocked to see the two mana casting cost.

I guess if by "problem" you mean they were cards that were played. They weren't format warping in any way.
2 cards that have been banned and restricted in any non rotating competitive format were not format warping in standard? EoT DTT was no less powerful when you got crackling doom and similar with it.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
I know tribal synergy and what-not, but that card just seems awful to me. I was shocked to see the two mana casting cost.

This is what RR used to get you:

Image.ashx

It would even be relevant in a Standard environment featuring Aftermath cards.

Glix

This is what RR used to get you:

Image.ashx

yeah, geez, or like blood knight.

I understanding not wanting to make him a one drop that accelerates, but then you gotta make him a 2/1 at least I would think.

I mean, compared to the white 1/2 that gives you a clue, and also has tribal synergy, this guy is hot garbage.

Two drop accelerants are hard to come by outside of green, and this one is even shock-proof. This guy might not have an archetype right now, but I bet he'd fit into a Big Red-style deck.

Glix

Two drop accelerants are hard to come by outside of green, and this one is even shock-proof. This guy might not have an archetype right now, but I bet he'd fit into a Big Red-style deck.

I mean, I know it can only cast creatures, but this set has a two drop mana rock already!

Edit - I guess maybe Spawning Breath is the best card to compare it to?

ultron87

2 cards that have been banned and restricted in any non rotating competitive format were not format warping in standard? EoT DTT was no less powerful when you got crackling doom and similar with it.

Did you actually play this Standard you're talking about? They were powerful cards, but weren't nearly as easy to fire off early and repeatedly as they were in the formats they've been banned in. Go look at the deck lists from when Khans was legal. These cards appear, but not in every deck or even in every deck that plays blue.

Compared to something like Burning Tree Emissary, that goblin looks bad. 1 mana of any color banked seems worth about the same as RG now, but BTE was a 2/2 and easier to cast. Treasure synergy helps the goblin a bit, but still it should have been 1R or a 2/1.

Did you actually play this Standard you're talking about? They were powerful cards, but weren't nearly as easy to fire off early and repeatedly as they were in the formats they've been banned in. Go look at the deck lists from when Khans was legal. These cards appear, but not in every deck or even in every deck that plays blue.

Jeskai Black and Dark Jeskai where the boogeyman of the format until 4c aristocrats proved itself superior.

I can't even remember other decks from that time apart from atarka combo and the 2 4c decks certainly no other blue decks. Megamorph was a thing for a while and Abzan came back with a vengeance every now and then.

Angry Grimace

It's not tribal synergy, it's that it ramps without actually needing to be alive to do it.

Compared to something like Burning Tree Emissary, that goblin looks bad. 1 mana of any color banked seems worth about the same as RG now, but BTE was a 2/2 and easier to cast. Treasure synergy helps the goblin a bit, but still it should have been 1R or a 2/1.

It's fine and I would pick it fairly high. The format seems pretty clearly slanted towards battlecruiser magic where you dump giant fuckoff dinos and this is an unconditional way to get the ramp you're looking for.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Jeskai Black and Dark Jeskai where the boogeyman of the format until 4c aristocrats proved itself superior.

I can't even remember other decks from that time apart from atarka combo and the 2 4c decks certainly no other blue decks. Megamorph was a thing for a while and Abzan came back with a vengeance every now and then.
So not actually a problem and more a problem of fetchables duals. Good to know

Violet_0

Banned

you basically cast BTE for free, while the, ahem, goblin works more like eldrazi drones and you can cash in on the treasures at any time later to ramp into a big card

kinda odd that red is becoming increasingly focused on one-time ramps with this card, the legendary pirate and Chandra. They really want to push those big dumb Gruul monsters, huh

Justin

Dino discount notwithstanding...

Its so strange to me how they keep going back and forth between fighting and the ambuscade effect.

Ambuscade at instant speed is SO much better than this card, even with the dino discount.

This triggers enrage :)

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Um why is this card Black? Kind feels like a White mana card to me :X

Attacking an opponent's hand is generally a black ability. White effects like this generally target cards already on the Battlefield.

Justin

Ahhhhh, that actually makes perfect sense.

(still should be instant)

They would've had to make it more expensive if it was instant. Also don't miss that this is a counter and not +1/+0 till end of turn like ambuscade.

I bet you could get this in on turn 4 on the 2GG 4/5 that has draw a card on enrage if you had a treasure token to use.

Angry Grimace

Ahhhhh, that actually makes perfect sense.

(still should be instant)

I don't think they wanted it to be straight up Dromoka's Command.

What? White has never had hand disruption.

Prime limited removal. Nice.

I mean, this is basically a riff on Tidehollow Sculler which is technically white, but the ability is black. White does it to cards already on the battlefield, although weirdly enough they never reprinted Banishing Light after Journey into Nyx.

Top Bottom