• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT13| Ixalan - Port to Sideboard

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I think I kinda like the Modern cube.

Should I feel bad? I dunno.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
This one was made by someone outside of WOTC.

I like Vintage Cube a LOT, like Legacy Cube enough, and like Modern Cube more than Legacy.

The other weird cubes they do are garbage.

red13th

I absolutely love how, besides the handful of expensive tournament cards, they took a bunch of random cards that aren't super popular but still cost like $20 or even $30 and reprinted them in Iconic Masters. Glimpse the Unthinkable, Serra Ascendant, Auriok Champion, Magus of the Moon, Bloodghast, hell I didn't know Archangel of Thune was so expensive. I hope they drop a bunch.

Also I love they reprinted so many of the colourless mana rocks (Hedron Archive in Commander 2017, now Mind Stone and Thran Dynamo) now the only diamond-mana update I need is Mutavault. And Academy Ruins I guess, but I'm cutting it for Mana Drain probably, at least while they don't reprint Tinker.

I absolutely love how, besides the handful of expensive tournament cards, they took a bunch of random cards that aren't super popular but still cost like $20 or even $30 and reprinted them in Iconic Masters. Glimpse the Unthinkable, Serra Ascendant, Auriok Champion, Magus of the Moon, Bloodghast, hell I didn't know Archangel of Thune was so expensive. I hope they drop a bunch.

Yeah it weirded me out when people said that this set didn't do a good job having value when there was so much stuff in the $10 - $20 band.

I'm up to 8 EDH decks now that I'm actively maintaining, so time consuming.

Most of them are fairly feature complete with just occasional updates. Updated my KnT deck twice over the last couple months to be a substantial change this time around. I think deserts might be good in EDH.
mtggoldfish said:
gzI3r9q.jpg
the mtggoldfish tool is neat. Bummer you have to go roundabout about capturing the visual view.

I'm up to 8 EDH decks now that I'm actively maintaining, so time consuming.

Most of them are fairly feature complete with just occasional updates. Updated my KnT deck twice over the last couple months to be a substantial change this time around. I think desert might be good in EDH.

the mtggoldfish tool is neat. Bummer you have to go roundabout about capturing the visual view.

Nice! I like the visual layout a lot. Might have to try that. I'm currently at 15 edh decks and working on two more(I can't stop making decks)

y2dvd

4 colour good stuff just won Japan nationals

scarab god too stronk

I've been going 4-0 in the last 2 FNM with this deck to nab some sweet promo Fatal Pushes. It just feels powerful at any stage of the game. To think it won't really lose anything after rotation.

Crocodile

RGnKtwD.jpg

Source
I wasn't aware there was a child Youtube Magic Celebrity

Looks like a beating in limited. Will be easier to play around as the format evolves but still >_<

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Iconic masters reveal knocked several hundred dollars off my collection's value. I expected it, but I'm a greedy fuck so I'm still bummed out.

I feel like ixalan will be one of those sets where a few years from now it will be filled with a bunch of money uncommons.

bigkrev

If you want to talk about long-term collection damage, Magic Arena should be what really worries you. If it takes off, there will be a format that "replaces" modern, and it will consist of cards from when Magic Arena comes out to current. Modern will be moved into the space Legacy occupied in the early 2010s.

bigkrev

SaffronOlive wrote a great article about how Ixilain feels like a return to Form for Magic https://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/ixalan-the-return-of-magic

The Return of Tradional Mythics
Since first entering the multiverse back in Shards of Alara block, the very definition of mythic has been changing year by year. Initially, mythics were designed to be big, flashy, fun cards but not necessarily Standard all-stars or even playables. If you look back over the mythics from Shards block (apart from the planeswalkers, which have always been an exception to the rule), you'll find a ton of sweet and fun Commander cards but not much in terms of constructed playability. As time went on, mythics became cheaper, more efficient, and more pushed for constructed, a trend that reached its peak over the past year or two with mythics that were important to the story being pushed to ungodly levels (see Emrakul, the Promised End, Archangel Avacyn, Gideon, Ally of Zendikar, and Aetherworks Marvel).

Having these ultra-pushed mythics causes two problems. First, they make for unfun Standard formats where if you're not playing whatever super-pushed story mythic is best, you're playing the format incorrectly. Second, these cards often end up being really expensive (since as mythics, they are the lowest-supply cards in Standard), making it hard for some players to field a competitive deck and compete in Standard, which is designed to be the most accessible format for new players.

Thankfully, Ixalan seems to be a return to the old-school, traditional definition of mythic rares. While we still have a few mythics from the set yet to be revealed, if we discount the planeswalkers, not a single Ixalan mythic costs less than four mana (with just two being less than five mana: Rowdy Crew—which is likely mythic thanks to being a pretty complicated card—and the legendary Admiral Beckett Brass), with most being big, powerful, and flashy effects but not likely to be tier cards in Standard. While we can quibble over the mythicness of drawing seven cards for seven mana at sorcery speed, for the most part, all of these cards feel mythic in the traditional sense and look like they will be a ton of fun to play but without breaking (or increasing the cost of) Standard. Most importantly, it seems like Wizards has realized that it can still tell the story of a set (Ixalan has some extremely flavorful mythics, like Star if Extinction and Jace, Cunning Castaway) without pushing cards to the point where they break Standard.

bigkrev

I am really curious what the price ceiling on those will be while the set is still avalible. Will any of them break the $4 price of a booster?

Also, if you actually want some cards from the Unhinged set, how low will those prices go? Miniscule demand compared to the lands!

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
If you want to talk about long-term collection damage, Magic Arena should be what really worries you. If it takes off, there will be a format that "replaces" modern, and it will consist of cards from when Magic Arena comes out to current. Modern will be moved into the space Legacy occupied in the early 2010s.

By the time arena comes out, I'll probably have sold off everything except staples and invested in a bunch of dual lands.

Santiako

With this set and Iconic Masters we can clearly see how the Commander decks are now designed to be upgradable with what is going to be in print close to its release.

Justin

We should be seeing a lot of Merfolk and Vampires this week. According to Scryfall we have seen 23 pirates, 23 dinosaurs, 11 merfolk and 10 vampire so far.

Tunoku

It feels mostly like a flavor win that they just wanted to do rather than something actually playable. But the design is so unique, it's really difficult to evaluate. So I'm not gonna say it's shit.
But it kinda looks unplayable

barbecube

So they're going to be selling UNH basic land packs, right? Because I literally want no other cards from that set, but those full-art basics are sweet.

Top Bottom