• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT13| Ixalan - Port to Sideboard

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
As portrayed in the comics and DuckTales, Scrooge cares far more about adventure than making money normally. In Don Rosa's stories, the Money Bin is solely money he earned himself, and he doesn't spend any of it, largely due to the sentimental value. That said, he is also infamously stingy.

Scrooge the adventurer is red, especially with how attached he is to his family despite himself. Scrooge the businessman/duck is black. Overall, he's black/red.

I think he's either mono-black, mono-red or even Mardu or Orzhov - I think black/red has its own identity which doesn't fit Scrooge very well.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Is it wrong that I want to use Settle the Wreckage against my own tokens turn 4/turn 5? 1 creature turn 1, Servo Exhibition turn 2, Weaponcraft Enthusiast turn 3. Swing in turn 4, end of combat cast Settle the Wreckage and untap turn 5 with 10 mana before your land drop? Obviously that's the best case scenario and it has no chance as a legit deck. After game 1 at FNM your opponent is going to drastically change their game plan but having Angel of Invention, Herald of Anguish, and maybe something like Overwhelming Splendor as your win cons you're not relying on the jank combo to pop off.

Either way I think i'm going to stick with building a W/? token deck as i'm having a lot of fun with W/B currently.

That's probably the intended use more than "mass Path your opponent's guys" because generally speaking Mass Pathing your opponent is a pretty terrible effect.

I think he's either mono-black, mono-red or even Mardu or Orzhov - I think black/red has its own identity which doesn't fit Scrooge very well.

Yeah he's definitely not Rakdos. I think he's black-red, but he's the greener half of red and the bluer half of black. It's a weird combination.

Repgnar

That's probably the intended use more than "mass Path your opponent's guys" because generally speaking Mass Pathing your opponent is a pretty terrible effect.

It certainly seems like a much better use but most of the comments i'm seeing are focusing on how it's probably not worth it to cast it on your opponent. If you do it this way you get the mana you need early and can still use it later in the game when giving away some mana isn't as influential but being able to exile 1+ threats on the board is needed.

Scrooge McDuck is black/red right?

I would have pegged him as Mardu -- the omnipresent greed is black, and the fastidiousness and law and order bent are white (he specifically has a thing about not ever making money by breaking the law), while the hedonistic wealth part and his adventuring streak are red. I think he basically manifests as Orzhov when he's doing business in Duckburg and Good Guy Rakdos when he's off adventuring.

(Rosewater's also pegged Donald as Rakdos before which seems pretty accurate to me.)

That may be true, but I'm forcing Naya Dinosaurs in standard regardless of whether its good.

I support this plan wholeheartedly.

yet green can investigate?

Green and blue both care about learning more about the world, green so it can fix anything that deviates from the norm and blue so it can find new ways to change things.

Iconic Masters image gallery has some new art and flavor text. Here's one of each.

en_ejSHD8KeRY.png
en_zQZBmkaLk5.png

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
I've been rewatching the Kibler/Finkel match from PT Dark Ascension, and it prompted me to go look at the Top 8 decklists. Here's a selection of cards played in the Top 8 for the PT (all in Standard at the same time):

Primeval Titan
Huntmaster of the Fells
Karn Liberated
Green Sun's Zenith
Delver of Secrets
Snapcaster Mage
Ponder
Lingering Souls
Mana Leak
Birds of Paradise
Beast Within
Gitaxian Probe
Geist of St. Traft
Sword of War and Peace
Sword of Feast and Famine
Dismember
Wurmcoil Engine
Elesh Norn
Birthing Pod
Mental Misstep
Thrun, the Last Troll
Inkmoth Nexus
Batterskull

How things have changed in the last six years.

If anyone's new to the game, and wants to see the pinnacle of competitive MTG, go watch the Kibler/Finkel match. It's a thing of beauty.

(Bonus points for BDM and Rich Hagon awkwardly rating past PT Top 8s on a scale of 1-10.)

2017 hascon box set will be going on sale @ hascon toy shop site on the 20th, $29.99

https://www.hasbrotoyshop.com/en/htsusa/-c42380000?catName=

Sweet! I hope that I can nab one.

I've been rewatching the Kibler/Finkel match from PT Dark Ascension, and it prompted me to go look at the Top 8 decklists. Here's a selection of cards played in the Top 8 for the PT (all in Standard at the same time):

If anyone's new to the game, and wants to see the pinnacle of competitive MTG, go watch the Kibler/Finkel match. It's a thing of beauty.

What a powerful list of cards. All have homes in Modern or Legacy if they aren't banned.

Angry Grimace

I'm reading Maro's article on the design of the set and how it was originally Warriors, Pirates and Conquistadors and I'm getting the feeling they changed warriors to dinosaurs because they were rightly concerned it might be offensive to have a set revolving around the play mechanics of plundering Mesoamerican natives.

As portrayed in the comics and DuckTales, Scrooge cares far more about adventure than making money normally. In Don Rosa's stories, the Money Bin is solely money he earned himself, and he doesn't spend any of it, largely due to the sentimental value. That said, he is also infamously stingy.

Scrooge the adventurer is red, especially with how attached he is to his family despite himself. Scrooge the businessman/duck is black. Overall, he's black/red.

So...Scrooge Mcduck is a flip card is what your saying

Angry Grimace

I have no idea why Sorin Markov is in the Modern Cube. It's a dumb card that isn't good in anything.

(Bonus points for BDM and Rich Hagon awkwardly rating past PT Top 8s on a scale of 1-10.)

That match has it all. Awkward casting moments, cutting from match to match because matches were being played simultaneously, super long judge call (why can't we just watch the replay???), and
I should have blocked.

I'm reading Maro's article on the design of the set and how it was originally Warriors, Pirates and Conquistadors and I'm getting the feeling they changed warriors to dinosaurs because they were rightly concerned it might be offensive to have a set revolving around the play mechanics of plundering Mesoamerican natives.

They actually talked on the story podcast about doing a few iterations of the plot and world design to try to avoid the bad tropes here, so I think that's probably about right.

I just checked Gatherer, and out of 225 birds in Magic, only one can't fly.

Image.ashx

And four got errata'd to birds.

Image.ashx
Image.ashx
Image.ashx
Image.ashx

I love how this is three that straightforwardly shouldn't since they're actually depicting flightless birds, one is a chicken which at least it makes sense to have as not flying, and then one is Whippoorwill that not only doesn't have flying for no reason but is actually flying in its art.

red13th

I was checking this year's release schedule and besides Ixalan this month and IMA in november there's still Duel Deck Merfolk vs Goblins, "Explorers of Ixalan" (the one with board game pieces) and lol From the Vault Transform. I completely forgot about those.

EDIT: oh sure there's Unstable too but whatever

Poppy

I have no idea why Sorin Markov is in the Modern Cube. It's a dumb card that isn't good in anything.
i won a game by setting the opponent to 10, attacking with kokusho then saccing kokusho off to something

i mean i probably already won but sorin did 10 damage or so!

I was checking this year's release schedule and besides Ixalan this month and IMA in november there's still Duel Deck Merfolk vs Goblins, "Explorers of Ixalan" (the one with board game pieces) and lol From the Vault Transform. I completely forgot about those.

In fairness these all hardly impact average players the same way. A Masters set comes out and it at least shifts up the draft pods for a couple weeks at the store and it impacts card prices (for better and worse.) Duel Decks rarely reprint anything exciting and don't get previews anymore so they're not relevant to most people, no one ever gets to buy FTVs anyway, and the multiplayer box products are intended to be pretty low-impact for everyone outside their specific target market. For most people it's booster sets + Commander that matter in terms of product frequency.

Angry Grimace

I mean, don't listen to me anyways given I just lost 6 matches in a row. *shrug*

I don't necessarily disagree that he's bad in 20 life formats, just that the combination of Big Mana and High Life in EDH makes setting someone to 10 a lot more enticing.

His CMC's a little high for 20 life formats.

Angry Grimace

I don't necessarily disagree that he's bad in 20 life formats, just that the combination of Big Mana and High Life in EDH makes setting someone to 10 a lot more enticing.

His CMC's a little high for 20 life formats.

His problem is mostly in the Cube where setting your opponent to 10 isn't that good and the plus is kind of whatever.

Angry Grimace

I like draft, but I bet you I would like it more if I had even a shred of ability at it. It's really hard and I've never gotten any advice from anyone ever that improved my ability at it :(

Like I'll be sitting at the table playing and a guy I know pretty well is like "oh I knew what colors steve was in so I was doing such and such" and I'm like "how the fuck did you know what colors steve is in" and then he's like "well I read the signals, maaaaaan" and I'm like "I saw a bunch of cards."

I'm terrible at reading signals but try to do it anyway.

Sat next to a friend of mine once and was convinced he was red all the way untilhe showed me a terrible deck instead of all the great red I passed him.

I honestly don't think much about draft beyond, "Do I need a playable here or should I hate-draft?" which is usually a function of how many playables I have plus a factor based on how many playables I expect to see based on the colors I'm in and what I've been getting passed.

I do admittedly tend to end up with more playable cards than I can actually run sometimes, but I'd rather have a working deck than a dysfunctional one plus half a notion that I fucked up someone else's.

Angry Grimace

I mean, I'm good enough at Magic that I don't necessarily go 0-3 all the time, that only happens on MODO
KuGsj.gif

I completely demolished my limited rating on MODO in the last couple weeks blowing up random play points and losing nigh constantly.

I like draft, but I bet you I would like it more if I had even a shred of ability at it. It's really hard and I've never gotten any advice from anyone ever that improved my ability at it :(

Like I'll be sitting at the table playing and a guy I know pretty well is like "oh I knew what colors steve was in so I was doing such and such" and I'm like "how the fuck did you know what colors steve is in" and then he's like "well I read the signals, maaaaaan" and I'm like "I saw a bunch of cards."
It takes years and years to get a feel for this. Dont be discouraged. Do be encouraged by Magic Arena. I think it will be cheaper than magic online and clarify things in a better way.

Angry Grimace

It takes years and years to get a feel for this. Dont be discouraged. Do be encouraged by Magic Arena. I think it will be cheaper than magic online and clarify things in a better way.
I've been playing for years and years and am still bad so I doubt I'll get better. Nothing I can do about it other than play locally at the LGS where everyone is equally bad. Which I do, lol

thefil

I've been playing for years and years and am still bad so I doubt I'll get better. Nothing I can do about it other than play locally at the LGS where everyone is equally bad. Which I do, lol

If it helps I've been playing for almost 20 years, since I was a child, and I still normally 0-3 or 1-2 on MTGO. Hoping drafts are Hearthstone cheap on Arena so I can at least feel like I get my money's worth.

I've drafted like, twice. First time was the original Conspiracy. I had two opponents. I died very quickly. It was terrible and really put me off.

Second time was Kaladesh. I did awesome drafting some White Fabricate deck.

Yeef

Conspiracy sets, like cube and masters sets, aren't great for first-time drafters. MM3, especially, has the issue of signals are harder to read, because with so much fixing it's more likely that people are willing to splash for goodstuff. And the Conspiracy sets have a ton of cards that purposely turn the draft on its head, which will typically be lost on first-time drafters. Nto to mention that it's played multiplayer free for all, which also changes card evaluations significantly.

Ashodin

Yo if you asked me if I wanted a rare equipment, I'd say hell yeah, we ain't even on Mirrodin yet. But one that turns into a land? Sheeeeeeeeeeeit.

This set is so good dudes

Top Bottom