• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT13| Ixalan - Port to Sideboard

DrArchon

River Sneak + Chart a Course + new Jace + anything else with Raid looks pretty solid. Seriously, evasive cheap blue aggro, plus cheap ways to draw/loot to keep the gas going should be pretty good.

All we need is Invisible Stalker back and Blue Aggro is a go!

en_jqsSv2hJil.png

What a fucking stupid card in limited.

Crocodile

en_yIHG7SYDro.png

What a weird fucking card

-Gaining and Paying Life for effects is the Vampire strategy in this set
-3/1 with "free" indestructible is sweet and good on cheap attackers
-3/1 with "free" indestructible is really annoying though on defense and might stall a game so it gets a bonus on attacking rather than being a default 3/1

Seems to make sense to me?

These are nice new details, grindable currency for draft sounds awesome. If IRL packs don't have codes that give said currency WotC done goofed.

Seth freaking out about the pay structure before he knows the pay structure is pretty comical. He's pretty comically against all this. The professor came out a believer after playing it, so most fears just seem super unfounded right now.

I mean, if you compare the two, The Professor's main selling point is that he's trying to provide thoughtful, objective, relevant content to help people maximize the enjoyment they get from their MtG experience. He's very much open to changing his mind on things should he feel the facts indicate he should. On the other hand, Seth is Seth.

Seth has an arrangement with a trader so he doesn't have to pay for any cards he needs. A lot of the content he produces is in legacy formats as well and I imagine the prospect of producing MTGO videos in a post-Arena world is not very appealing. I can understand his resistance but he's been way off the mark on MDN for awhile.

Good bye outgoing life. Drafting is by far my favorite format and with in-game currency to draft with, I'm gonna be playing Arena all day.

Yeah I think some of the bearish people on Arena don't account for this enough. Limited is incredibly popular to play and Arena can easily offer a far superior experience to MTGO here -- and give people who are using Hearthstone as a substitutionary good an opportunity to switch to the real thing.

Where is he getting the "Hearthstone is $800 a year" thing from?

Directly from his ass.

I've been playing Hearthstone since the beta, have not spent $800 combined (though I'm probably in the $500s), and have never had any issue playing standard and just picking whatever deck I want to play at any moment.

I get the $50 preorrder of each set and stop there; I easily have multiple Tier-1/2 decks to pick from in each season, and if I was a lot more diligent than I am (always doing 100% of my quests, always spending gold on arena runs to maximize return) I could probably build close to any deck I wanted each season. The recent changes to Legendaries in packs has improved the math on this too.

Depends, but I think Duels (and Hearthstone) has really shifted their view on what they feel ok with offering digitally. MTGO was the result of being supremely afraid of giving cards to everyone easily. I remember a lot of concern about it cannibalizing paper when it launched. Obviously their stance on this has completely changed.

Right, well, when MTGO launched we were still three years from a serious digital ecosystem on game consoles and people were still super wary about even the idea of buying purely virtual goods. Contrast with today when 100% of the most successful video games rely on digital purchases and the tabletop world is full of huge, popular games that have digital versions that cost 1/5th as much to play with no real negative impact.

Some pro playing at the Force of Will got a deck check at the top 8 world championship which turned out to be short a card got a game loss and didn't even get to choose who starts game 2.
To top it all off it turns out one of the judges actually dropped the missing card during the deck check.

They said someone planted it lol and that was it when they found out.

Unrelated but this card is kinda sweet in EDH.

DrArchon

Defo limited bomb. Answer it with a kill spell or lose two creatures blocking it. Plus lose a bunch of life when it ETB. And we don't even know how many common kill spells will be able to deal with this easily.

Don't see it making waves in constructed though. Maybe if it had Haste?

bigkrev

Directly from his ass.

I get the $50 preorrder of each set and stop there; I easily have multiple Tier-1/2 decks to pick from in each season, and if I was a lot more diligent than I am (always doing 100% of my quests, always spending gold on arena runs to maximize return) I could probably build close to any deck I wanted each season. The recent changes to Legendaries in packs has improved the math on this too.

What I am curious about would be if I started a new Hearthstone account today, how much money would it cost me to immediately jump into ranked ladder with something like Kazakus Priest or another deck that has a dust cost of 12,000 with cards across multiple sets.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I know Enthralling Victor and that's not Enthralling Victor.

They should have rejected the art if that was what they wanted.

What I am curious about would be if I started a new Hearthstone account today, how much money would it cost me to immediately jump into ranked ladder with something like Kazakus Priest or another deck that has a dust cost of 12,000 with cards across multiple sets.

a lot, hard to guess exactly dust per pack if you open a lot is something like 100 but that increased recently with changes to legendary timers. 12000 dust if you had to craft absolutely everything would thereby cost $150 (3x 40 packs for $50)

That doesn't account for getting a free legendary from the KoFT prologue and getting a Classic Class Legendary fromt the welcom pack for $5 once (which also includes 10 packs and is fantastic value). You have a 1/9 chance twice to reduce the total needed dust by 1600 essentially and are guaranteed 800 more dust.

Lucario

Spoiler day theme: obnoxious aggressive limited threats.

en_yIHG7SYDro.png

What a weird fucking card

I wanted to compare this to Oketra's Avenger, but that's not doing it justice.

Unless your opponent has a 4-toughness creature, an army of 1/1s, or the ability to outrace you while losing blockers, this thing is going to beat face forever.

Oketra's Avenger was great because it could chip in 3 damage every other turn through your opponents' 2/2s and 2/3s. This gets in every single turn, and can survive removal for a reasonable life payment. Ridiculous card.

en_RU2Vwi6ABm.png

This is disgusting and everyone's going to first pick it.

en_xlSb1TC2Sw.png

Once you get to the 11-12 merfolk point this gets nutty, but it's impossible to evaluate without knowing how many Merfolk are at common (or how aggressive the tribe is). Otherwise, 2 mana slither blade is awful.

en_jqsSv2hJil.png

"If you untap with this in play, you win the game"

This needs to switch rarity with that draw 3 discard 2 goblin, because it's Pack Rat levels of busted in limited.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
So if they did start including codes for Arena product in physical boosters, how much would you want? My instinct is that I'd be happy with a 1:2 ratio, i.e each physical booster came with a code for half of the "Magic gold" to buy an Arena booster

Charging Monstrosaur really goes above and beyond what I thought they considered acceptable in red. I would have considered it pushed for uncommon at six mana!

Violet_0

Banned
there's been a noticeable powerboost at the uncommon level, while the commons, rares and mythics don't feel particularly stronger than in the recent sets. I approve

Lucario

So if they did start including codes for Arena product in physical boosters, how much would you want? My instinct is that I'd be happy with a 1:2 ratio, i.e each physical booster came with a code for half of the "Magic " to buy an Arena booster

Assuming a pack is 30 gold, I'd be happy with anywhere from 10-15 per physical booster.

This could also be Wizards' way of keeping standard prices down without using reprint equity on a dozen Masterpieces per set. It absolutely works for Pokemon.

DrArchon

This needs to switch rarity with that draw 3 discard 2 goblin, because it's Pack Rat levels of busted in limited.

For sure. This is like a windmill slam p1p1 card.

Only real downside I see is that it only has 3 toughness, so it dies to Lightning Strike I guess? Better hope you have a decent removal spell in hand though (and none of that Pacifism shit).

Justin

So if they did start including codes for Arena product in physical boosters, how much would you want? My instinct is that I'd be happy with a 1:2 ratio, i.e each physical booster came with a code for half of the "Magic gold" to buy an Arena booster

One physical pack = one digital pack the way Pokemon does it. It only provides upside for Wizards and their WPN and gets people bought into the digital side. I imagine a lot more physical drafts would fire off if you could then go home and get a free digital draft.

Whats likely to happen is you attend a FNM or Showdown event and you get digital credit.

It's an average of just over 100 dust per pack if you dust every card and packs in bulk cost around a dollar apiece so... a max of $120. And I don't think any serious tier 1 deck really goes much above 12k dust cost. When you account for card overlap and dust return, you could easily keep current on top competitive Standard decks for a year on $300, max.

kirblar

Where is he getting the "Hearthstone is $800 a year" thing from? I've been playing Hearthstone since the beta, have not spent $800 combined (though I'm probably in the $500s), and have never had any issue playing standard and just picking whatever deck I want to play at any moment.
Yeah, If you drop ~$160 (amazon coins) on 170 packs per expansion to start, you should be pretty gtg card wise.

Reality Smasher at uncommon is hilarious.

Lucario

Whats likely to happen is you attend a FNM or Showdown event and you get digital credit.

They handed out beta codes for Arena at hascon with the match slips, so this seems like something they're preparing for. I believe they're also giving out priority codes at the Ixalan prerelease.

Given that Hasbro staff forgot to hand out the codes in half of my events, and I've never been to an LGS that remembers to hand out supplementary/advertising material at prereleases other than the promos, this seems like a poor way to handle things.

DrArchon

cursecatcher.

I mean, they giving us basically the same card in that Siren Pirate. Just sucks about the creature type.

If Fish want to be good in standard, we gotta see another lord or two. The Kira replacement is a start, but they need those anthem effects. Wouldn't be too bad to reprint Master of the Pearl Trident, would it?

Or how about bringing back Lord of Atlantis for funsies in Dominaria?

Justin

They handed out beta codes for Arena at hascon with the match slips, so this seems like something they're preparing for. I believe they're also giving out priority codes at the Ixalan prerelease.

Given that Hasbro staff forgot to hand out the codes in half of my events, and I've never been to an LGS that remembers to hand out supplementary/advertising material at prereleases other than the promos, this seems like a poor way to handle things.

Ideally it plugs into WPN via your DCI number so the store wouldn't need to do anything other than enter that you are attending the event like they already do.

bigkrev

It's an average of just over 100 dust per pack if you dust every card and packs in bulk cost around a dollar apiece so... a max of $120. And I don't think any serious tier 1 deck really goes much above 12k dust cost. When you account for card overlap and dust return, you could easily keep current on top competitive Standard decks for a year on $300, max.

100 dust/pack seems INSANELY high. Most packs only have ~40 dust (1 rare and 4 commons).

Lucario

Ideally it plugs into WPN via your DCI number so the store wouldn't need to do anything other than enter that you are attending the event like they already do.

This would be amazing, and it looks like that's already how they're giving priority access to Magic Duels and MTGO Ixalan Prerelease players.

Unrelated: does anyone know if Gamestop is stocking 2017 commander decks yet? I have credit to burn, and all the local stores are out of Draconic Domination.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Maybe I missed this, will arena have ways to earn in game currency through winning match ups the way duels does? I actually managed to unlock the entire amonhket set without paying a single real cent of money just by doing quests and slapping people around in versus.
Shame no campaign, I actually really enjoyed those.

bigkrev

This would be amazing, and it looks like that's already how they're giving priority access to Magic Duels and MTGO Ixalan Prerelease players.

Unrelated: does anyone know if Gamestop is stocking 2017 commander decks yet? I have credit to burn, and all the local stores are out of Draconic Domination.

I saw them at my gamestop last week, but they only had 1 of each

Maybe I missed this, will arena have ways to earn in game currency through winning match ups the way duels does? I actually managed to unlock the entire amonhket set without paying a single real cent of money just by doing quests and slapping people around in versus.
Shame no campaign, I actually really enjoyed those.

Almost certainly.

Top Bottom