• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - February 2011

Volcynika

NINTENDO DOWNLOAD: LOVE IS A MANY DOWNLOADED THING

Feb. 14, 2011

Not even the Wii™ Shop Channel and Nintendo DSi™ Shop are immune to the spellbinding forces of Valentine's Day. You'll find unlikely hints of romance creeping into the WiiWare™ service with Pucca's kisses game, featuring a sweet heroine who's smitten with a wily ninja. Love is also in the air on the Nintendo DSiWare™ service as the hero of Treasure Hunter X pursues precious artifacts in hopes of winning a woman's heart. Wii owners with a fear of commitment will be pleased to find a pair of dreamy diversions among this week's downloadable offerings: Demo versions of chick chick BOOM and Chronos Twins DX are now available for zero Wii Points™.

WiiWare

Pucca's kisses game
Publisher: Bigben Interactive
Players: 1
ESRB Rating: E (Everyone) – Mild Cartoon Violence
Price: 500 Wii Points

Description: Pucca has one great dream in her life: to kiss the sweet and tender Garu, a little ninja who hasn't the slightest desire to do so. But Pucca is a young lady who is as much in love as she is stubborn in her pursuit of Garu – she is truly determined to cover him with kisses. Pucca's kisses game is a fun-filled and interactive cartoon that will enable you to pause the episode whenever Pucca faces an obstacle or is in danger. Help her overcome each challenge before heading out once again in pursuit of her beloved Garu.

chick chick BOOM (demo version)
Publisher: tons of bits
Players: 1-2
ESRB Rating: E10+ (Everyone 10 and Older) – Mild Cartoon Violence
Price: 0 Wii Points; full version available for 800 Wii Points

Description: Five chicks on your side, five chicks on the other … BOOM! In chick chick BOOM, you can throw pianos, pink elephants and sumo chicks or summon slimy giant jellyfish and UFOs. Draw lines in the arena to defend against your opponent's attacks. The real skill lies in your use of ink, creativity and timing. Extra help is provided by a corncob and a piñata. Play on your own or with friends, as a team or against each other. To keep things interesting, there are various game modes and different arenas, each with its own special attack.

Chronos Twins DX (demo version)
Publisher: EnjoyUp Games
ESRB Rating: E10+ (Everyone 10 and Older) – Animated Blood, Mild Fantasy Violence
Price: 0 Wii Points; full version available for 1,000 Wii Points

Description: Enter the original world of Chronos Twins DX to experience a fantastic adventure filled with innovative ideas. Thanks to its Dual Gameplay game system, you'll be able to control Nec in two temporal scenarios at the same time. Chronos Twins DX mixes action, platforms, adventure and puzzles that will challenge your intelligence and skill.

Note: Some demo versions do not support all game features, and players cannot save their in-game progress in demo versions.

Nintendo DSiWare

Treasure Hunter X
Publisher: Agetec, Inc.
ESRB Rating: E (Everyone) – Comic Mischief
Price: 200 Nintendo DSi Points™

Description: The risk is great and the rewards are even greater. Many untouched caverns still exist in the world, just waiting for someone brave enough to explore them. Within them lie vast troves of treasure and rare artifacts. As Tyrol the treasure hunter, you must collect treasures and escape from the caverns. Be warned: There are creatures lurking in the depths of the caverns, and the element of nature is against you. Use your pickaxe wisely so you don't get trapped and lost forever within the darkness of the caverns. Can Tyrol collect enough treasure in order to win the heart of the woman he loves?

Oscar in Toyland 2
Publisher: Virtual Playground
Price: 500 Nintendo DSi Points

Description: Oscar is back with more zany, nonstop action in seven exciting new worlds: All Star Sports World, World of Toys, Blox World, Water World, Old Time Toys, Travel Town and Mech World. Your mission is to swim, fly and run through these worlds collecting baby Oscars that have been scattered throughout the levels. You're armed with your secret weapon: a yo-yo that you can use to swing from platform to platform and zap nasty enemies in some of the craziest levels you'll ever play.

Panda Craze
Publisher: TikGames, LLC

Description: Guide Tik-Ling the panda through caves, forests, mountains and deserts on the way to her home, the bamboo forest. The concept is simple: Collect all of the magical lanterns in each level to unlock a magic portal to the next level. Getting to the lanterns without getting stuck, however, isn't so simple. Dig, drill and blast your way through ice and rock in this epic puzzle adventure. Enjoy 150 challenging puzzle-platform levels. Accumulate new abilities and tools as you progress through the game.

El Pescado said:
Treasure Hunter X sounds interesting, but I can't find any info about it other than this press release anywhere.

Here is the JP site: http://www.silverstar.co.jp/02products/dsi_fall/index.html

The JP title is apparently Fall in the Dark.

dsi_fdk_2.jpg

getkey.png
getkey.png

pick.png
ballon.png

sfog

As of this morning, the And Yet It Moves, Bit.Trip Fate, and Jett Rocket demos have been removed from the US shop.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
sfog said:
As of this morning, the And Yet It Moves, Bit.Trip Fate, and Jett Rocket demos have been removed from the US shop.
'Server's disk full, delete some demos now? Yes/No'

Not to metion the massive bandwidth expenditures those few demos must have been personally responsible for.

Lijik

Oh man a new Oscar game.
I think this is the first one that isn't a port of something out of 1992. I bet its still trash,

Davey Cakes

sfog said:
This is why I download every demo that comes along. It feels good to have things that are only up for a limited time, even though some of the WiiWare games with demo versions are insultingly bad at times.

Anyway, FATE and Jett Rocket are two of the best demos (for two of the best games) and I downloaded them back when they were first available. Jett Rocket in particular was fun, and I was glad that they put a demo out because now I may actually consider buying it one of these days when I'm devoid of decent 3D platformers.

The chick chick BOOM demo is very fun and makes me want to buy the full game now. Also, I downloaded the LIT demo from last week, and it's such a cocktease. Normally demos end the level before a boss or more often once you've beaten a boss, but here they let the intro sequence for the boss play like you were actually fighting it before ending the demo...

donny2112

blu said:
Not to metion the massive bandwidth expenditures those few demos must have been personally responsible for.

If it's resulting in full buys, it should be worth it. Probably don't want to have too many demos up at a time, so people can feel like trying them all, though.

Mockingbird said:
Nice, but why skip the first release? I never played Hero, but I loved Bomberman 64. Was hoping for that and its sequel.

Didn't Nintendo publish 64? ... And Hero? I forget...

Wasn't Hero the best received out of the three games? I also only played and adored 64.

Hero of Legend said:
Didn't Nintendo publish 64? ... And Hero? I forget...

Wasn't Hero the best received out of the three games? I also only played and adored 64.

Nintendo published Hero and 64 in the U.S. at least. In Japan, I don't know but for sure they published 64 there.

also, Hero is the one that is the least well-received out of the three, with one of the biggest complaints being the lack of multiplayer!

Volcynika

NINTENDO DOWNLOAD: THIS PRESIDENTS DAY, MAKE AN EXECUTIVE DECISION TO DOWNLOAD NEW GAMES

Feb. 21, 2011

Not everyone is cut out to be a president, but every Wii™ and Nintendo DSi™ user must act as commander-in-chief of his or her own gaming republic. On this Presidents Day holiday, Nintendo recommends reaching across the aisle in the spirit of bipartisanship, creating harmony between new and classic titles, puzzle games and platformers, sprawling console adventures and crisp hand-held challenges. Start with the fantasy-fueled fun of Faxanadu, a memorable RPG from the NES™ era making its appearance on the Virtual Console™ service. Test your resolve even further with a demo version of the action-filled Rage of the Gladiator for the WiiWare™ service, available to download for zero Wii Points™. Most importantly, boost your diplomacy by sharing your favorite WiiWare and Nintendo DSiWare™ game recommendations with friends and spreading fun throughout the 50 states and beyond.

Virtual Console

Faxanadu
Original platform: NES
Publisher: Hudson Entertainment
ESRB Rating: E (Everyone) – Mild Fantasy Violence, Use of Tobacco

Description: You are an adventurer who has just returned to his hometown, the Elf town of Eolis, at the base of the World Tree. You find the village in peril: The Elven water supply has dried up, monsters are causing chaos and the once-proud Tree is slowly wilting. Equipped with the last of the King's money and the trust of the people, you set out to climb the World Tree, braving obstacles, fiends and dangers to discover the source of this corruption. Wield weapons and magic, get hints from townsfolk and experience a world of new environments as you ascend to the top of the world.

WiiWare

Jewel Keepers: Easter Island
Publisher: Nordcurrent
ESRB Rating: E (Everyone)

Description: One day, world-renowned Easter Island expert Professor "H" received a strange letter from the capital city of Hanga Roa. It was a cry for help from an unknown person, saying that something bad was happening on the island. Without hesitation, the Professor, his assistant Joel and his granddaughter Ivie rushed to the island, where many puzzles, mysteries and quests awaited them. Can you help him to reveal the greatest secret of Easter Island?

Cozy Fire
Publisher: dtp young entertainment

Description: We all long for a cozy open fire, particularly during the cold season. But not everyone is able to snuggle in front of a warming blaze. The WiiWare service opens the door for a fireplace to fill the room with a magical and cozy atmosphere. Select from a variety of logs and use the Wii Remote™ controller to stack them up. Next, light the virtual match and your home will soon be snug and glowing. Choose from six available fireplaces: fire alone, campfire, rustic, classic, elegant and Zen. Poke and tend the fire to keep it going. Add more logs to keep the fire burning, just like a real fire. Want to just sit back and relax? In Butler mode, new logs will be placed on the fire automatically, and the logs never burn down in Non-stop mode.

Rage of the Gladiator (demo version)
Publisher: Ghostfire Games
ESRB Rating: T (Teen) – Animated Blood, Alcohol Reference, Violence
Price: 0 Wii Points; full version available for 1,000 Wii Points

Description: Rage of the Gladiator is a fantasy-based fighting game in which you must fight for your life in the arena. Prove yourself by conquering all opponents. Features include: amazing 3D graphics, animation, lighting, shadows and special effects. With full voice acting, each boss has its own personality and taunts you mercilessly. Use insane finishing moves – summon a fiery meteor or a savage tornado, or transform into a hulking colossus 10 times your size. Customize your character and specialize in skill trees – Offense, Defense or Magic – to gain new powers. Enjoy masterpieces of blood-pumping music by legendary composer Sean Beeson. Beat the game to unlock Challenge Mode, where bosses are much tougher. The game also supports the Wii MotionPlus™ accessory.

Learning with the PooYoos: Episode 1 (demo version)
Publisher: Lexis Numérique
ESRB Rating: EC (Early Childhood)
Price: 0 Wii Points; full version available for 500 Wii Points

Description: Welcome to the first fun, poetic brain-trainer for children aged 3 to 6. With the PooYoos, a merry band of adorable baby animals, children will have fun while learning development basics like numbers, letters, lateralization, shapes and colors. Children get to dance with their new friends and receive lovely interactive rewards. There are two levels of interactivity, so any child can play. This game has been designed for use by children who have not yet grasped reading.

Note: Some demo versions do not support all game features, and players cannot save their in-game progress in demo versions.

Nintendo DSiWare

G.G Series DRIFT CIRCUIT
Publisher: Genterprise Inc.
Price: 200 Nintendo DSi Points™

Description: Use your drifting technique to gracefully slide past the competition. Steering around corners lowers your speed, so it's all about choosing the best course line and being able to use your drifting skills with precision. At the start of each three-lap race, conditions for winning will be displayed. After that, it's up to you and your speed-demon prowess to drift through the Grand Prix and steal first place. Choose between EASY, NORMAL and HARD difficulty levels – perfect for beginners and advanced racers alike.

Arctic Escape
Publisher: Teyon

Description: Take control of a bunch of penguins that are always getting into all sorts of trouble. A cunning scientist abducted them from Antarctica, and now they need your help to get back home. Lead them safely through more than 100 frosty levels by using commands such as walking, jumping and waiting. Guide them to avoid broken ice areas, falling cages, wolves and other dangerous obstacles. This special top-down-view puzzle game is easy to pick up but impossible to put down.

Remote Racers
Publisher: QubicGames
ESRB Rating: E (Everyone) – Mild Cartoon Violence

Description: Select one of eight vehicles: Speeder, Monster, Candy, Dozer, Tank, Stunt, Mantis and Rocket. Race against AI or the clock on 15 great tracks. Jump in the garden, drift through the cellar, ride on the beach and dive in the ocean. Use power-ups and transform your vehicle to gain an advantage over your opponents. Complete 32 challenges in eight Championships.

Hobbun

Zarovitch said:
Remember, after you take the money from the King, spend it all, and ask him for money again :)

Nah, that makes it too easy and takes away some of the fun.

Btw, anyone remember how long Faxanadu is? It isn’t a factor on me purchasing it, but I just remember it seeming long, but then it was one of my first RPGs I ever played.

Well, now that Cave Story's demo has gone away from the service, I have now developed an understanding for the length of demos on WiiWare's "limited" term, in the NA shop.

If the game is doing poorly or has not benefited enough from the demo:
Remove the demo after 4 weeks on the Wii Shop Channel. Some demos were not removed until enough demos were existent (see: ThruSpace and lilt line's demo, removed alongside Frobot's).

If the game is benefiting from the demo or has been rated highly on Nintendo Channel:
The demos are removed after a maximum of 12 weeks on the Wii Shop Channel. This explains why last week we lost the remainder of the launched demos and Cave Story this week.

That means, we can now gauge when, in the US, which demos are going to be removed each week from here on out, provided demos are not removed earlier for promotional purpose (see: Nintendo Week).

So: if you haven't downloaded the FLUIDITY DEMO and wanted to try it, do it this week, because it will be gone, good or not, next week. Also, Crazy Racers will be removed next week, too, as the game has gotten poor word of mouth and has not appeared on the Top 20 since the demo debut.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
nincompoop said:
New preview for FAST Racing League: http://www.thebitblock.com/2011/02/18/fast-racing-league-new-screens-info/. Sounds like an awesome mix of F-Zero and Ikaruga.

But of course, Super Meat Boy couldn't possibly be compressed from 90MB down to 40 :rolleyes:

This represents a very poor knowledge of how compression works.

Some things compress better than other things. It's entirely possible to have 900MB of data that compresses to 40MB (this is not even unusual or notably excellent, text data can easily eclipse this level of compression), while someone else has 41MB of data that can't compress down to 40MB (this is not unusual or notably bad, try compressing a compressed archive file).

I suspect FAST makes use of procedural generation on quite a lot of their assets, which allows for incredible compression compared to actually including the same asset. I feel confident saying this because Shin'en have their backgrounds in demoscene work, where procedural generation is common (.kkreiger being probably the most famous example of extreme compression through procedural generation).

This technique is not necessarily possible for Meat Boy. I would guess that in particular the assets for the cutscenes and the music lend themselves poorly to compression. If FAST procedurally generates sample data for their music and then uses sequenced music, their music would likely take up virtually no space. Meat Boy's music definitely does not sound sequenced to me.

You conflate the 900MB "source data" with 900MB of final assets; it's quite likely any non-procedural assets here have not yet been scaled, let alone compressed. If you take a 1024x1024 texture and scale it down to 64x64, you're looking at a 256 times space savings assuming no change in compression. We have no such source asset number for Super Meat Boy. But even provided you take the lowest number we do have for the game, 110 megs on Xbox 360, this doesn't mean it's not compressed already. The game is in fact 260 megs on Steam and even that version has significant compression.

Looking at my Steam install, I note areas that can obviously be lopped off; naturally any included libraries (and there's about 25 megabytes of these) would not be necessary. Presumably they would drop Chinese, Japanese, Korean, and Russian font support (all included in the PC version). But what remains is difficult to argue about; the game has about 150MB of music and about 90MB of texture/level/graphical assets. The music is almost certainly the sticking point as I mention above.

Faxanadu should be a couple hours for first-timers.

I remember way WAY back when I first got this game, I actually thought it was an NES port of Toaplan's Wardner/Pyros. Sure the back of the box shows the games look nothing alike but I thought that was par for the course as far as NES ports are concerned.

Good game btw. It's practically the only fun game in the Xanadu series(and definitely the most accessible one).

Sincere apologies for the lack of updates - it's been an exceptionally busy month for me, and while I've had time for posting short comments here and there, I've just not been able to find the time to sit down and sort this thread out (or rather, I have, but that time has been tied up with other ongoing projects).

I'll be setting aside some time tomorrow for it, but in the meantime apologies again.

sfog

It should probably be noted that there's an Okamiden demo available on the Nintendo Channel. It's just a quick tutorial area to show the controls and basic mechanics, but everything works very well.

Teknoman

One of the games I missed back in the day...

Is Faxanadu long or really difficult? Not that it would bother me, but now i'm curious about the game since my only experience is remembering the box art from the local rental place :p

Faxanadu can be considered a side-story of Xanadu, which is the second installment of Falcom's long-running RPG series, Dragon Slayer.

Huh, no wonder the videos gave me an Ys vibe.

Teknoman

sfog said:
It should probably be noted that there's an Okamiden demo available on the Nintendo Channel. It's just a quick tutorial area to show the controls and basic mechanics, but everything works very well.

awesome.

Linkup

Looks like we will get FAST in the next two-three weeks. I'm much more interested in this than Jett Rocket and the tech just fits this game better. No dumb characters plus awesome vehicles with a shinen soundtrack, it's win-win.

FAAST sounds like it could be pretty fun.

There's an Okamiden demo?! (runs to his Wii)

Hobbun

Has anyone else tried Faxanadu and found the game screen seems darker overall? Even though it’s been awhile since I’ve played the game, it always seemed more colorful and brighter in general in the past. And sure enough when viewing a Youtube playthrough recently, it seems brighter as well.

Sure, I could adjust the brightness setting of my tv, but it’s not something I’ve had to do with any of my other games (including VC games), so it makes me think during the emulation it lost some of it’s brightness. But I don’t know.

Anyone else notice the same?

sfog said:
Aaaah d-pad used for movement in a 3D game... at least in Super Mario 64 DS you had the option of using the touchscreen for fine adjustments if you couldn't walk some way with the d-pad.

OnPoint

I would assume someone here would know whether or not the DSiWare Rayman is worth downloading or not.

Any thoughts?

Lijik

OnPoint said:
I would assume someone here would know whether or not the DSiWare Rayman is worth downloading or not.

Any thoughts?
It plays fine, though its been made easier than the original.
Only thing thats notably worse is the sound

Top Bottom