• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread of Brains Beware: Wii U Re-Unveiling At E3 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheNatural

My Member!
TheExplodingHead said:
To be honest I think a $249-$279 baseline is about as low as Nintendo would be theoretically willing to stomach, if that. And yeah, I do believe a sub $300 price tag for brand new hardware is more appealing to every kind of consumer than a $300 or more price tag. Statistically, people are far more willing to pony up a deuce and a half vs. a full 3, on a whim. Especially if we're weighing the full scope of the competition against it.

Whether or not Nintendo does it is another story. Even with the 3DS sales Nintendo seems pretty determined to price as high as they can for as long as they can. Its good business in the short term only if the market responds, because if they don't you're playing catch up and trying to woo them back with a price drop, usually after the competition has responded. My position is destroy the competition from the get-go, leave absolutely no room for lost momentum and goad the competition into a place they'd rather not be. The Wii model won't work here I don't think, pricing high and barebones feature-wise for essentially a market trend won't happen again.

If they are attempting to sell me a "game console" that only plays games, has diminished online functionality and conservative specs comparatively. That's fine, I have no problem with that, just price it accordingly. I'll buy it either way, I'm just looking at it from a market perspective. If recent history says anything Nintendo will more than make it back in software and peripherals.

Everything you just said is what Nintendo did with the Gamecube. It was $200 at launch and two years later, only $100. It wasn't a world rocking system I know, but in sheer value and price, it did a lot of the things you are saying. And it didn't matter a bit really.

You seem to be getting too caught up in the cost of components and what it does and so on, but it doesn't even matter in when it comes to business. Maybe to you, but not what sells to the majority. You're making a big deal over thirty or fifty dollars? That's not going to matter a bit. And Like I said, look at what the main versions of PS3 and 360's are selling for right now still. $300. With it looking like neither one want to drop prices but instead just keep replacing the $300 bundle with more GB's, Kinect, Move, or a game pack.

Microsoft and Sony both aren't in a hurry to get to the "budget" phase of their system's life. Microsoft is doing well for itself every month and is on the Kinect bandwagon and wants to keep that ride going for as long as possible. Sony is just starting out of their gutbusting loss phase of the PS3 and has some of their major games coming out this fall. And Wii has sort of bowed out of this generation now in it's budget phase.

There's a real chance if Nintendo is trying to get Wii U out next summer or so, that both PS3 and 360 are only $250 or so at best, with maybe a drop when Wii U launches. I'm sure the value of the bundle will be added, but neither one are going to be quick to drop the price of that premium SKU right now to $200. So I'm not sure why you're assuming Nintendo has to do some drastic crap, it's very likely there won't be a huge difference in price. I mean, if Wii U is $350 and 360/PS3 are $200 then yeah, that's a problem. But I really don't think that's going to happen.

ShockingAlberto said:
The crowd out problem is like this

1) Nintendo needs to develop big, evergreen titles to sell a system
2) Third parties feel they can not compete on a Nintendo system, regardless of the install base, if Nintendo's titles sell millions of copies for years and years
3) If Nintendo does not make these games, the system does not sell and third parties point out the small install base as reasons not to develop.

For the Wii, they made a series of evergreen titles that basically blotted out the sun in the NPDs. Third parties felt they could not compete with this, so they went with low-budget, casual games that did not incur much risk.

For the 3DS, Nintendo took the opposite approach. Launch small, hype up the hardware, and let the third parties have the reins. This worked equally poorly, as no one wants to buy a system without those Nintendo titles to bolster it. So third party sales are still pretty bad because no one has the system yet and are waiting for Nintendo to release, say, Mario Kart. At which point Mario Kart becomes the big seller and blots out the sun.

Nintendo has to find a way to navigate this problem for the Wii U.

I think a somewhat realistic avenue for this is to:

-Release Pikmin 3 as a big Nintendo launch title. Not as much "Mario selling risk", as other big IP's. But still something long awaited to satisfy us longtime Nintendo fans, something big to buy.

-Release a new "casual title" ala Wii Sports. Market it huge with the system, it'll be new and get decent sales.

-Get a timed exclusive release of Modern Warfare 4 (or whatever new CoD), this will almost guarantee (granted a decent price point) to get a large sum of "core gamers" to buy it and move systems.

The dark horse in this scenario is of course the casual title which has the potential to blot out the sun, and again define a main demographic. But those three would be a good start, as far as major launch titles go. Could also seal Nintendo's commitment to online capability at launch.

BurntPork

Banned
TheExplodingHead said:

-Release Pikmin 3 as a big Nintendo launch title. Not as much "Mario selling risk", as other big IP's. But still something long awaited to satisfy us longtime Nintendo fans, something big to buy.

-Release a new "casual title" ala Wii Sports. Market it huge with the system, it'll be new and get decent sales.

-Get a timed exclusive release of Modern Warfare 4 (or whatever new CoD), this will almost guarantee (granted a decent price point) to get a large sum of "core gamers" to buy it and move systems.

The dark horse in this scenario is of course the casual title which has the potential to blot out the sun, and again define a main demographic. But those three would be a good start, as far as major launch titles go. Could also seal Nintendo's commitment to online capability at launch.
I really did laugh at this. If the most MS can get is first dibs on DLC, what on Earth makes you think this is even remotely possible? It would cost enough money to put Nintendo in the red for years!

TheNatural

My Member!
TheExplodingHead said:

:facepalm:

I'm sorry, but your posts read like some fanboy strategic rants from 10 plus years ago I used to read on Nintendojo back when I was like 15. Timed exclusive of Call of Duty will not happen, EVER. That franchise makes so much money they would never consider it.

I'm guessing your business plan looks something like this:

1) Sell at loss

2) Spent millions (maybe 10's of millions) timed exclusive of the biggest franchise out

3) ????

4) Bankruptcy!

Comeon now. This isn't NPD the strategy game, this is real business, and Nintendo knows how to make money, and all the things you're saying don't do anything for them and would cost them a ton of money to boot. Your ideas are great - if you want to begin the road to driving a company into the ground.

BurntPork

Banned
TheNatural said:

I'm sorry, but your posts read like some fanboy strategic rants from 10 plus years ago I used to read on Nintendojo back when I was like 15. Timed exclusive of Call of Duty will not happen, EVER. That franchise makes so much money they would never consider it.

1) Sell at loss

2) Spent millions (maybe 10's of millions) timed exclusive of the biggest franchise out

3) ????

4) Bankruptcy!

Comeon now. This isn't NPD the strategy game, this is real business, and Nintendo knows how to make money, and all the things you're saying don't do anything for them and would cost them a ton of money to boot. Your ideas are great - if you want to begin the road to driving a company into the ground.
Tens of millions? Try half a billion, at least.

Smiles and Cries said:
-_- the wait for info is killing me... someone freeze me and thaw me out on Wii U launch day
I haven't slept for the past 24 hours, I have been here on GAF. I need therapy, fix yourself, or you will need too.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Kansasdude2009 said:
Definitely not, that's absurd. For me, it's just inconsistent and midi instrumentation is less acceptable today. Some of his remixes are better than their originals and he did a good job in the jungle and factory levels imo.
IceDoesntHelp said:
I liked some of the tunes, even if some of them just sounded like they were ripped out of the Metroid Prime series.

Perhaps I shouldn't have said "sucks", but the point that the music was largely disappointing for a series revered largely for its fantastic tunes is far from absurd.

The only way to possibly convince Activision to put Modern Warfare 4 as a timed exclusive on a console is to sign away all profits connected to that console to Bobby Kotick.

ShockingAlberto said:
The only way to possibly convince Activision to put Modern Warfare 4 as a timed exclusive on a console is to sign away all profits connected to that console to Bobby Kotick.
it'll be cheaper in the longterm for Nintendo to buy Activision.

TheNatural said:

1) Sell at loss

3) ????

4) Bankruptcy!

Notice how I said somewhat realistic... It was just a placeholder example. Something that could attract "core gamers" and prove Nintendo's commitment to online.

But anyway, mix and match CoD with any big FPS with broad appeal. And you're correct I'm no businessman, but it ain't exactly rocket science to make a vague market assessment of the Wii U based on the market right now. If you believe that the Wii U can be successful at $350 or higher vs. $250 or lower competitors (AND get day-for-day third-party support day 1 through end of cycle), I would love to see your precisely detailed analysis.

That said, it'll probably be $300.

Jin34

TheExplodingHead said:
Notice how I said somewhat realistic... It was just a placeholder example. Something that could attract "core gamers" and prove Nintendo's commitment to online.

But anyway, mix and match CoD with any big FPS with broad appeal. And you're correct I'm no businessman, but it ain't exactly rocket science to make a vague market assessment of the Wii U based on the market right now. If you believe that the Wii U can be successful at $350 or higher vs. $250 or lower competitors (AND get day-for-day third-party support day 1 through end of cycle), I would love to see your precisely detailed analysis.

That said, it'll probably be $300.

CoD timed exclusive is not somewhat realistic, its lets all reply with the best laugh gifs we have type of plan.

Jin34 said:
CoD timed exclusive is not somewhat realistic, its lets all reply with the best laugh gifs we have type of plan.

In retrospect it was probably a bad example. To be honest it's all my exhausted brain could latch onto (lame big FPS to get teh "core" and all). Chalk it up to lots of multitasking.

After looking at the CPU in wsippel's post, I wanted to look at the GPU this time when I had free time. It was mentioned to him that the GPU was running at 500Mhz. Adding that with the scraps of info we had we seem to be able to conclude that it sounds comparable to an underclocked 4830. This is due to the 4830 being normally clocked at 575Mhz and uses GDDR3 (the rumor had the GPU clocked at 500Mhz and using GDDR3). What I did was "dust off" some old benchmarks for this processor and looked at other info on the GPU. Obviously we can't make a 1:1 comparison of a PC to console especially with customizations for the console version vs the stock version for PC. The idea wasn't to look directly at the 4830's power, but to compare it to others in that range to try and get an idea of why Nintendo would possibly target that GPU as a foundation. I'm not justifying the usage as I'd like to see them go with a little more power as a "base", but attempting to understand Nintendo's thought process that would lead to this GPU choice hypothetically speaking.

First thing I see them maybe using it is the cost. At its release the 4830 was highly praised for its cost versus performance.

Second would be it's TDP. According to Wikipedia's comparison chart out of the four RV770s it is clearly the lowest of the four. (All chips 55nm)

4730 (GDDR5) - 110 W
4830 (GDDR3/4) - 95 W
4850 (GDDR3/4) - 110 W
4870 (GDDR5) - 150 W

Third is actual performance. When looking at the performance and taking the first two into consideration I can see why Nintendo would go this route. The difference in power versus cost and temp may not be that justifiable. Here are some of the benchmark tests I looked at. The card itself has 512MB of GDDR3 in these tests. Also a lot were redundant so I narrowed it down to just a few.

The first one I would consider "not so realistic" because of the amount of memory used.

Uses an Intel Core 2 Extreme QX965 and 4GB of memory

This one focuses on the 4830, but also uses the 4850 in the comparison. What I liked about this one is that it also provides temp and power usage. To avoid clicking through every page, you can use the Table of Contents drop box on the right.

The next two are "more realistic" because they use 2GB of memory.

http://www.guru3d.com/article/radeon-hd-4830-review-his-technology/

This one similar to the one above.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Sapphire/HD_4730/

This one is centered around the 4730, but it provides a lot of different cards for comparison.

What stuck out to me while doing this is that the 4770 (RV740, 40nm, GDDR5) has an advantage in performance and power (TDP 80 W), but I assume the cost will not justify its usage when also considering the customized version of the 4830 could be made on a 40nm fab reducing TDP.

When looking at the 4830 versus the others in the group, I can see the usage of a decent amount of eDRAM (for the GPU, not CPU and mentioned in the rumor) making up a lot of the difference, if not helping it pass the others. This of course does not include other customizations.

Speaking of which, we know that the Xenos would be considered an R500 that implemented unified shader architecture that was eventually used in the R600 line. It also used DX9 that took elements from DX10. It's very reasonable to believe Wii U's GPU will do the same.

First looking at the API, we had reports about DX10.1. That is irrelevant because we know that Nintendo will not use DX, but instead OpenGL. IMO the pointing out of DX10.1 was just referring to the level of card being used. Something to point out dealing with OpenGL is what can be done with it. I got this link from a poster on IGN a little while back and there is a very interesting part in this blog article.

http://blog.wolfire.com/2010/01/Why-you-should-use-OpenGL-and-not-DirectX

1. OpenGL is more powerful than DirectX

It's common knowledge that OpenGL has faster draw calls than DirectX (see NVIDIA presentations like this one if you don't want to take my word for it), and it has first access to new GPU features via vendor extensions. OpenGL gives you direct access to all new graphics features on all platforms, while DirectX only provides occasional snapshots of them on their newest versions of Windows. The tesselation technology that Microsoft is heavily promoting for DirectX 11 has been an OpenGL extension for three years. It has even been possible for years before that, using fast instancing and vertex-texture-fetch. I don't know what new technologies will be exposed in the next couple years, I know they will be available first in OpenGL.

Microsoft has worked hard on DirectX 10 and 11, and they're now about as fast as OpenGL, and support almost as many features. However, there's one big problem: they don't work on Windows XP! Half of PC gamers still use XP, so using DirectX 10 or 11 is not really a viable option. If you really care about having the best possible graphics, and delivering them to as many gamers as possible, there's no choice but OpenGL.

This section provides a link to a .pdf that says showed the extension was originally for OpenGL 2.1. That makes it sound to me that if the GPU can use OpenGL 4.1 that would be "icing on the cake" so to speak. So we can believe at least a part of hanging with DX11-level cards is in place.

The other side is hardware. Wondering if the GPU borrows from the higher-level series of AMD GPUs is more tricky because of the lack of information. But while I was in Detective-GAF mode on the other stuff I noticed this. First we know that the Wii U uses HDMI (version not verified). Next we know that the disc is "blu-ray equivalent" and Iwata semi-confirmed Wii U can support 3D playback. This would leave me to believe that at worst Wii U uses HDMI 1.3a. Why is this important? This comes from the Wikipedia multimedia section on the R800.

One major milestone is that the Evergreen GPU family supports HDMI 1.3a output. The previous generation R700 family GPUs only support up to LPCM 7.1 audio and no bitstream output support for Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio audio formats to external decoders. This feature is now supported on Evergreen family GPUs.

This would lead me to believe there maybe indication that the R700 GPU is borrowing components from the a higher-level series. If true then I wonder what else could be borrowed? Tessellation unit anyone?

So we'll see what happens as for all we know they'll be using something a little more powerful for a foundation. But this is my guesstimation based on what little we know so far.

Jin34

TheExplodingHead said:
In retrospect it was probably a bad example. To be honest it's all my exhausted brain could latch onto (lame big FPS to get teh "core" and all). Chalk it up to lots of multitasking.

If the launch would have been this year they would have had a good way to do that. Have Battlefield 3 Wii U with full 64 player combat and money hat EA so BF3 ads would be Wii U centric like MS and Sony do with some 3rd party games. Have the tv ads point out how the only console version with the full 64 player experience is the Wii U version and throw in a comment from DICE saying how the Wii U is the only console with the power to do this. There just put that all over football games, ESPN, WWE, etc and that would go a very long way in changing Nintendo's perception.

Jin34 said:
If the launch would have been this year they would have had a good way to do that. Have Battlefield 3 Wii U with full 64 player combat and money hat EA so BF3 ads would be Wii U centric like MS and Sony do with some 3rd party games. Have the tv ads point out how the only console version with the full 64 player experience is the Wii U version and throw in a comment from DICE saying how the Wii U is the only console with the power to do this. There just put that all over football games, ESPN, WWE, etc and that would go a very long way in changing Nintendo's perception.

Yeah, that would have been an excellent choice. Especially if there were extremely noticeable improvements (maybe even full Steamworks support). Thing of it is, I'm not sure what other FPS games could go to the Wii U as timed exclusives or marquee versions next year, for a launch title there just doesn't seem to be anything. Maybe Medal of Honor but I doubt it, Bad Company 4 I doubt it, Respawn's game I doubt it, Bungie's game highly doubt it. But maybe Medal of Honor could really set itself apart from CoD with a really unique Wii U release and good reviews/marketing... But I would totally buy Bulletstorm 2 or a HUGE announcement of a new Counter Strike Wii U game. And a Gabe Newell walk out next E3 with HL2:E3 timed exclusive would be huge, along with a huge Steam partnership announcement...but that's just me dreaming.

Thing is, Nintendo needs it's own FPS brand. It's own Halo if you will.

BurntPork

Banned
bgassassin said:
After looking at the CPU in wsippel's post, I wanted to look at the GPU this time when I had free time. It was mentioned to him that the GPU was running at 500Mhz. Adding that with the scraps of info we had we seem to be able to conclude that it sounds comparable to an underclocked 4830. This is due to the 4830 being normally clocked at 575Mhz and uses GDDR3 (the rumor had the GPU clocked at 500Mhz and using GDDR3). What I did was "dust off" some old benchmarks for this processor and looked at other info on the GPU. Obviously we can't make a 1:1 comparison of a PC to console especially with customizations for the console version vs the stock version for PC. The idea wasn't to look directly at the 4830's power, but to compare it to others in that range to try and get an idea of why Nintendo would possibly target that GPU as a foundation. I'm not justifying the usage as I'd like to see them go with a little more power as a "base", but attempting to understand Nintendo's thought process that would lead to this GPU choice hypothetically speaking.

First thing I see them maybe using it is the cost. At its release the 4830 was highly praised for its cost versus performance.

Second would be it's TDP. According to Wikipedia's comparison chart out of the four RV770s it is clearly the lowest of the four. (All chips 55nm)

4730 (GDDR5) - 110 W
4830 (GDDR3/4) - 95 W
4850 (GDDR3/4) - 110 W
4870 (GDDR5) - 150 W

Third is actual performance. When looking at the performance and taking the first two into consideration I can see why Nintendo would go this route. The difference in power versus cost and temp may not be that justifiable. Here are some of the benchmark tests I looked at. The card itself has 512MB of GDDR3 in these tests. Also a lot were redundant so I narrowed it down to just a few.

The first one I would consider "not so realistic" because of the amount of memory used.

Uses an Intel Core 2 Extreme QX965 and 4GB of memory

This one focuses on the 4830, but also uses the 4850 in the comparison. What I liked about this one is that it also provides temp and power usage. To avoid clicking through every page, you can use the Table of Contents drop box on the right.

The next two are "more realistic" because they use 2GB of memory.

http://www.guru3d.com/article/radeon-hd-4830-review-his-technology/

This one similar to the one above.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Sapphire/HD_4730/

This one is centered around the 4730, but it provides a lot of different cards for comparison.

What stuck out to me while doing this is that the 4770 (RV740, 40nm, GDDR5) has an advantage in performance and power (TDP 80 W), but I assume the cost will not justify its usage when also considering the customized version of the 4830 could be made on a 40nm fab reducing TDP.

When looking at the 4830 versus the others in the group, I can see the usage of a decent amount of eDRAM (for the GPU, not CPU and mentioned in the rumor) making up a lot of the difference, if not helping it pass the others. This of course does not include other customizations.

Speaking of which, we know that the Xenos would be considered an R500 that implemented unified shader architecture that was eventually used in the R600 line. It also used DX9 that took elements from DX10. It's very reasonable to believe Wii U's GPU will do the same.
While a lot of this makes sense, there are a couple of issues. Simply put, a cut-down RV770 will have a bigger die and possibly higher power consumption than an RV740 if both are on the same process and have the same clocks. This also means that it would be more expensive to produce, and there'd be wasted die space. So, there would be no reason to choose 640-shader RV770 over an RV740. Also, I've seen cases where clocks have more of an effect on power consumption than shader count. Chances are that the older dev-kits were using basically off-the-shelf parts. This would explain the overheating. If the chip was in fact based on a 4830, it would be because Nintendo isn't ready to ship 800 SP parts on 40nm or 32nm. If it has 800 SPs, it'll be low-clocked, like 600MHz core, to keep power consumption down. Otherwise, it's an RV740.

Also, the fact that it uses Eyefinity was the only confirmation we needed to know that Nintendo added features.

TheExplodingHead said:
Yeah, that would have been an excellent choice. Especially if there were extremely noticeable improvements (maybe even full Steamworks support). Thing of it is, I'm not sure what other FPS games could go to the Wii U as timed exclusives or marquee versions next year, for a launch title there just doesn't seem to be anything. Maybe Medal of Honor but I doubt it, Bad Company 4 I doubt it, Respawn's game I doubt it, Bungie's game highly doubt it. But maybe Medal of Honor could really set itself apart from CoD with a really unique Wii U release and good reviews/marketing... But I would totally buy Bulletstorm 2 or a HUGE announcement of a new Counter Strike Wii U game. And a Gabe Newell walk out next E3 with HL2:E3 timed exclusive would be huge, along with a huge Steam partnership announcement...but that's just me dreaming.

Please tell me that was a typo and you meant to type "Bad Company 3" so that i don't have to facepalm.

MDX

NinjaFromTheFuture said:
I'm sure with how prominently it was showcased in the Wii U teaser at E3 they are planning on including one and a nun-chuck... At least I hope so... I really, really hope so... For their sake.

Imagine Nintendo launches a new WiiSports that makes use of the tablet controller in conjunction with a new version of the wiimote. Of course, the new Wiisports has to also introduce the market to their hopefully robust online service. Its just common sense. We'll see out if Nintendo has any.

BurntPork said:
Please tell me that was a typo and you meant to type "Bad Company 3" so that i don't have to facepalm.

Lol, yeah that. I'm not too current on all the FPS numerals these days I guess. Whichever one comes next, seems like if I've played one I've played them all...

BurntPork said:
While a lot of this makes sense, there are a couple of issues. Simply put, a cut-down RV770 will have a bigger die and possibly higher power consumption than an RV740 if both are on the same process and have the same clocks. This also means that it would be more expensive to produce, and there'd be wasted die space. So, there would be no reason to choose 640-shader RV770 over an RV740. Also, I've seen cases where clocks have more of an effect on power consumption than shader count. Chances are that the older dev-kits were using basically off-the-shelf parts. This would explain the overheating. If the chip was in fact based on a 4830, it would be because Nintendo isn't ready to ship 800 SP parts on 40nm or 32nm. If it has 800 SPs, it'll be low-clocked, like 600MHz core, to keep power consumption down. Otherwise, it's an RV740.

Also, the fact that it uses Eyefinity was the only confirmation we needed to know that Nintendo added features.

This hypothesis is working on the notion that the clocks won't be the same. The 4770 runs at 750Mhz while the 4830 runs at 575Mhz. Secondly the modification(s) should mean it won't be just a simple "cut-down" and have wasted die space. They might as well just go with a 4870 in that case (which it still might for all we know). Also I understand some of your points, but you aren't taking costs into consideration. The latter part of your post would make it sound like an underclocked 4850 which sounds like a waste in power and money. At the same time making a 4830-based GPU with 800 SPs essentially turns it right back into a 4850. I don't know if Nintendo spends money in that direction. The 600Mhz suggestion falls right in between the 4830 and 4850. Are they overclocking the 4830 or underclocking the 4850? Neither sounds reasonable to me. Also we have no information so far that points to GDDR5 use so that eliminates the RV740 right now.

I didn't refer to Eyefinity only because I wasn't thinking about it when I was typing it. Eventually we'll see if they took anything else.

wazoo

MDX said:
Imagine Nintendo launches a new WiiSports that makes use of the tablet controller in conjunction with a new version of the wiimote. Of course, the new Wiisports has to also introduce the market to their hopefully robust online service. Its just common sense. We'll see out if Nintendo has any.

there will be no new versions of the wiimote after wiimoteplus, which is now bundled with games to prepare the WiiU launch.

MDX

wazoo said:
there will be no new versions of the wiimote after wiimoteplus, which is now bundled with games to prepare the WiiU launch.

How do you know? You work for Nintendo?

Plus, how is bundling the Wiimote with Wii games going to help WiiU?

wazoo

MDX said:
How do you know? You work for Nintendo?

Plus, how is bundling the Wiimote with Wii games going to help WiiU?

no need to work for Nintendo to know that. It makes sense. The wiiplus is too late to be a worthy redesign for the current Wii but a smart move to prepare people for the next gen and also a great motivation for upgrading at no cost (see, you do not need to change your controllers !)

Hiltz

wazoo said:

That sounds like Nintendo's plan alright. Nintendo can get more use out of motionplus and continue to make a profit off of its cheaper manufacturing costs. It may play a big role if Nintendo doesn't allow Wii U to be compatible with 2 or more Wii U controllers.

Nintendo will likely bundle some of its E3 2011 tech demos with the console as it doesn't seem to like letting is concepts go to waste. We all know how well Wii Sports did to help spread the word of how uniquely cool Wii was for motion control gaming. The Miis aren't leaving us anytime soon!

Gaborn

TheNatural said:

1) Sell at loss

3) ????

4) Bankruptcy!

I think the basic problem is people assume that "winning" the console war (selling the most hardware units) is the same thing as making the most money possible. Nintendo's goal isn't to win the console war (though it's a nice bonus when it happens and Nintendo will use it to their advantage when possible). Their goal is to make the most profit they can with consumers. If they believe it's in their interest to go hard after the Core audience with a huge technical leap and some timed exclusives, they'd try it. If they thought it was in their interest to have a modest technical leap they will. Nintendo does what it does not because it appeases gamers or upsets them (although that can be a side effect) but because their goal is, one way or another to make as much money as they can even if it means making SOME people unhappy.

TheNatural said:

1) Sell at loss

3) ????

4) Bankruptcy!

Instead of going berserk over a post, you should probably read it first? He said like Modern Warfare 4. A big 3rd party franchise that sells huge sums and captures a completely different audience that has absolutely zero interest in games like Pikmin.

And while I agree that paying for a Cod exclusivity would be ludicrous, it's definetly true that Nintendo needs some exclusive deals with 3rd parties to get a healthy audience mix right from the get go. Only then will 3rd parties grow the balls to start releasing varied content in a steady manner on a Nintendo plattform.

Hell for all I care they could launch with an HD remake of the latest Goldeneye Wii game. Go all out on the online features, and launch the system in style.

TheExplodingHead said:

Ever since seeing this rejected Design Doc from Metroid Prime 1.5/2 I started dreaming of a huge coop/competitive shooter from Retro Studios.

The bigger problem is, Halo was the only reason the original xbox survived its first year and thus became THE game for the Xbox. With the shooter crowd today, such a Halo effect would be hard to recreate.
I guess they could create a similar brand like Sony did with Killzone or arguably Uncharted, and to be perfectly honest I would rather like them going the Uncharted route. Create a game with a fun atmosphere that is welcoming with its design and themes to more than just the male 15 year old crowd while still being action packed and fast to appeal to them as well.

mAcOdIn

If Nintendo's online is truly "flexible" enough, read: not heavily dictated by Nintendo towards the publishers, then I think Nintendo could get in a good spot if they managed to get PC cross platform gaming with some of the franchises like CoD and BF:BC. You already see EA implementing their own closed system somewhat, Activision's starting it and while those will probably go nowhere on Sony or Microsoft's networks if Nintendo's is "open" enough perhaps some deal could be made for Wii-U support amongst PC titles. This of course partly depends on their storage implementation and even then probably wouldn't be something ideal for games with extremely large patches but something that'd let you play against more than just people with Wii-U's I think would be a big boon for them. Yeah, yeah, Quake 3 did it on the DC and it didn't save he DC but whatever. I'd much prefer a more closed system like Sony and Microsoft but I think this late in the game Nintendo wouldn't really gain anything by coming out of the gate with a closed system like MS or Sony but keep it open like on the PC and possibly get some cross platform deals going with some of the big companies and possibly allow any smaller company doing say Wiiware and a Steam release or whatnot to also allow cross platform gaming and friends and I think they'd have a somewhat decent population going at that point.

I think Goldeneye's relevance now is nill, the overlap of people who fondly remember Goldeneye probably already for the most part pick up Nintendo consoles, I don't think it'd bring in anyone new, then there's the rights issue anyways.

I really think past public perception is their biggest problem and their on-line their second biggest. Even if they execute fantastically I still don't see them besting MS or Sony with the "core" gamer so I guess the real question is how patient Nintendo will be in regards to any plans they implement to get the core gamer back, will they continue it with the console after this or will they say "we tried" and just go with something else next time?

of course Nintendo will use remote plus as the main extra controller. The point is that at least there are 40 million person out there who own one, who knows how many people really own two or even more, and for the transition to Wii U will be super smooth. I think some more mainstream games released in the first months may even support basic Wiimote , and motion+ as an option.

And fortunately, Motion+ is not waggle.

it is good for us too, I hope remote+nunchuck supports be as good as the main controller.

I really think past public perception is their biggest problem and their on-line their second biggest. Even if they execute fantastically I still don't see them besting MS or Sony with the "core" gamer
The only thing that keeps core gamers royal to Sony or Microsoft are their friends who own the systems and their achievements/trophies. Core gamers care about Call of Duty, GTA, Battlefield, Assassins Creed; if Nintendo manages to bring Origin, Steam, etc, on Wii U and unifies them via a central account, its online department will receive tremendous support from third parties and that's all they need. 1st party development at Sony or Microsoft in terms of marketing capacity is puny compared to Nintendo or EA or Activision.

walking fiend said:
I think some more mainstream games released in the first months may even support basic Wiimote , and motion+ as an option.

I think basic wiimote will be a dead fellow on Wii U. Only Motionplus enabled controllers will de compatible for Wii U games.

On a note apart, the name "Wii U" doesn't sound weird and bad anymore.

Cmd. Pishad'aç said:
I think basic wiimote will be a dead fellow on Wii U. Only Motionplus enabled controllers will de compatible for Wii U games.

On a note apart, the name "Wii U" doesn't sound weird and bad anymore.
it is compatible with every Wii accessory released, it is FULLY backward compatible with Wii.

e3.nintendo.com/hw/#/about said:
Up to four Wii Remote™ (or Wii Remote Plus) controllers can be connected at once. The new console supports all Wii™ controllers and input devices, including the Nunchuk™ controller, Classic Controller™, Classic Controller Pro™ and Wii Balance Board™.

BurntPork

Banned
walking fiend said:
it is compatible with every Wii accessory released, it is FULLY backward compatible with Wii.
That's just stupid. It's really clear that Nintendo doesn't like Motion+ all that much, seriously.

wazoo

Assuming that many people will have wiimoteplus is sane, assuming that most will have classical wiimote (easily upgradable with wm+ plugin) is even more sane. You are out of sync with reality if you think that the minimum of compatibility should be the last integrated wm+.

BurntPork

Banned
wazoo said:
Assuming that many people will have wiimoteplus is sane, assuming that most will have classical wiimote (easily upgradable with wm+ plugin) is even more sane. You are out of sync with reality if you think that the minimum of compatibility should be the last integrated wm+.
The most sane idea, however, is including Wii Remote+ with the console, and requiring all Wii Remote games to use that controller. It's good for innovation, and a good way for Nintendo to gouge more money from their customers. Also, they should totally discontinue the standard Wii Remote and drop the prices of all Wii controllers by 25%.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
They need to start selling the classic control plus as a stand alone controller. No more need to connect to wiimote.

Basically a controller without the screen for Pikmin, Smash Bros, Mario Kart etc. The wiimote on its side lacks the buttons.

TheNatural

My Member!
Gaborn said:
I think the basic problem is people assume that "winning" the console war (selling the most hardware units) is the same thing as making the most money possible. Nintendo's goal isn't to win the console war (though it's a nice bonus when it happens and Nintendo will use it to their advantage when possible). Their goal is to make the most profit they can with consumers. If they believe it's in their interest to go hard after the Core audience with a huge technical leap and some timed exclusives, they'd try it. If they thought it was in their interest to have a modest technical leap they will. Nintendo does what it does not because it appeases gamers or upsets them (although that can be a side effect) but because their goal is, one way or another to make as much money as they can even if it means making SOME people unhappy.

You're right, people think this is an NPD game or something when Nintendo's the only company out there that's in the black for being in the console business. Sony has pretty much ate thru their PSX and PS2 era dominance money with the PS3, and Microsoft may have just started to be overall in the black after losing so much money with the original XBox. Nintendo doesn't have the luxury of Office sales or music or movie licenses to fall back on to bail them out, this is their business and their only business. Every for-profit business ultimate goal is to make profit and appease the shareholders. Hell, for what Sony has lost on the PS3, they could sell Wii U at $50.

BurntPork

Banned
Shikamaru Ninja said:
They need to start selling the classic control plus as a stand alone controller. No more need to connect to wiimote.

Basically a controller without the screen for Pikmin, Smash Bros, Mario Kart etc. The wiimote on its side lacks the buttons.
Funny, I would think that the screen would be quite useful in Pikmin, and the Wii Remote is already proven...

I honestly think a standalone controller that's similar to IGN's early mock-up would be genius. It would allow each player to have a screen while also keeping the price reasonable enough for the mass market. They could get away with selling something like that for $64.99.

Shikamaru Ninja said:

I think it'll depend on how much they want the wiimote to become the standard controller. On wii they could be sure that everyone has the wiimote, so there was at least one standard controller that they could make their games around.

On Wii U, however, I believe since they have already sold enough wiimotes and nunchucks and it has dropped in price, and that the base controller is much like classic controller and HD gamers are much more familiar with, they may let go of it.

TunaLover

Allowing regular wiimotes is bad for us, it will force developers to make games compatibles with those old wiimotes, the advantage of the Wiimote+ is huge but if nintendo leverage their games to work with old wiimotes their effort to push a superior wiimote + will be meaningless. I think nintendo should jusr dish out old wiimotes and motiom plus accesories, to clear confution, and work under wiimote+ as standart.

maeda

TunaLover said:
Allowing regular wiimotes is bad for us, it will force developers to make games compatibles with those old wiimotes, the advantage of the Wiimote+ is huge but if nintendo leverage their games to work with old wiimotes their effort to push a superior wiimote + will be meaningless. I think nintendo should jusr dish out old wiimotes and motiom plus accesories, to clear confution, and work under wiimote+ as standart.
Sure, just like it forced developers to support DS 1 in all games on PS2.

Maxrunner

TunaLover said:

wont they fix this by including the wiimote + in the box?

Maxrunner said:
wont they fix this by including the wiimote + in the box?
I believe the market is already uber saturated with controllers. Most of the people have at least two of them, it'll be forcing this down their throat; and of course nintendo prefers to keep the cost of the base system bare minimum

walking fiend said:

I'm actually in favor of a small upgrade to the Wii Remote Plus, which is a built-in rechargable battery that can be recharged as you play. But the tech in the Wii Remote Plus can be upgraded quite substancially at minimal cost to manufacture and cost relatively the same as WR+ does now. I think it's time to fully realize possibilties of motion tech, but with a refined technology instead of plain ole' dodgy pseudo 1:1 motion. I'd pay $90 for a perfected Wii Remote and nunchuck.

I'd also like to see Nintendo offer a real next-gen gamepad, basically the CC Pro with all the features of a DS3/360 pad, and maybe a few more. I'd pay $80 for that.

BurntPork

Banned
lunchwithyuzo said:
They already do. Every Wii sold these days comes with a Plus.
The difference is that Wii U would have it standard from the start, so everyone with a Wii U would have at least one Wii Remote Plus, which will never be the case with Wii.

BurntPork said:
The difference is that Wii U would have it standard from the start, so everyone with a Wii U would have at least one Wii Remote Plus, which will never be the case with Wii.
Yeah, it terms of base it ensures Plus as the Wii U standard.

I also would like to see the upgrades others have mentioned though (rechargable batteries, wireless nunchuck/CCPro), which wouldn't impact compatibility but would still improve functionality.

BurntPork said:

More important, nintendo has only one true core game with Motion Plus support with Zelda - Skyward Sword. Thats pathetic...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom