• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread of Brains Beware: Wii U Re-Unveiling At E3 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
ShockingAlberto said:
Nintendo says a lot of things. So do Sony and Microsoft.

What really matters is what they do.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

I've learned not to take things at face value when it comes to this industry.

PdotMichael said:
In my opinion, the talk about the third parties is only a excuse. I guess, nintendo believed just the 3ds was enough to sell enough without to waste a big franchise as early launchgame.

It was a bit of both.
They wanted to leave the floor open to third parties, but they also felt it would sell on name alone.
They weren't exactly wrong, but it certainly could have done a lot better with a game like Zelda at launch.

[Nintex]

AceBandage said:
It was a bit of both.
They wanted to leave the floor open to third parties, but they also felt it would sell on name alone.
They weren't exactly wrong, but it certainly could have done a lot better with a game like Zelda at launch.
They were wrong, they gave third parties the devkits like 8 months before launch I believe and expected great content. That is simply not possible so now we're at the point that the better 3DS software with a somewhat longer devcycle is cancelled or not a priority for the publishers anymore.

Between Megaman Legends 3D, the dissapearance of Chocobo Racing, the cancellation of Assassins Creed and a bunch of other games the 3DS's future doesn't look good right now.

BurntPork

Banned
artwalknoon said:
I wonder what the issue is? Judging from the E3 reveal it seems like Nintendo rushed to just have anything to show. Yet we also heard that 3rd parties had games up and running but were told to hold them back. We also know that the hardware isn't finalized yet and so on and so forth. Did Nintendo just botch the public unveiling or are they scrambling to make behind-the-scenes changes that they didn't anticipate prior to E3? With the 3ds the E3 unveiling and post E3 showcases seemed so confident and well planned, the wii u is like the exact opposite.
Hm... What if Nintendo didn't anticipate how small of a jump Wii U is over current-gen consoles visually and they're struggling to bump up the specs a bit? That would be in-line with the rumor that they didn't show third-party games running on Wii U because they weren't as much of an improvement over PS360 as they had hoped.

test_account

XP-39C²
BurntPork said:
Too much hype is the downfall of anything. TP got too much hype for too long, and that's a large part of why it was a disappointment. 3DS got this in a way as well. It's better for Nintendo to wait until the last minute to get people hyped. If you ask me, Nintendo should just hurry up and admit that it's going to be a tragically weak console if that's the case so they can do a huge game blowout near launch.

Sidenote: The launch will either be mid-late June or September. Bet on it.
Oh ok, i see. I havnt played Twilight Princess myself (never got into the Zelda serie, although i have great nostalgic memories of Zelda 2 and 3) or read up on what people in general thought of the game.

Sure, i'm not expecting some huge hype statements etc., but just some small tidbits that the console "excist".

TheNatural

My Member!
ShockingAlberto said:
Well, that's also part of the problem.

If you're ever counting on third parties to pick up the slack on a Nintendo system, you're going to get burned. It wasn't until the DS really hit its stride that developers started throwing really good things at it.

For the 3DS, developers kind of went "Oh, free money without much effort!" and that won't change until there's a big watershed moment for the system.

Hell at this point even effort PERIOD would be something new. It was surprising the total lack of third party support at E3, they had a whole lot of nothing to show.

lednerg

I'm thinking September would be the best bet for the NA launch. The summer's over, people are back from vacations, teens have extra cash from summer jobs, plus it's usually a bad time for movies and TV. It's pretty good timing-wise.

A September launch would also give people a couple of months to try it out for themselves at their friends' house/dorm so it can make its way onto their Xmas lists. Nintendo still has that kiddie perception amongst dudebros, so it'll take more than a mall kiosk and some ads to sway them. Let them play a few rounds of the definitive version of CoD and Madden so they can get past their 'issue' with Nintendo.

Developers will have had over a solid year with dev kits by September. They would have no excuse for half-assing ports (only throwing a map on the screen, copy/pasting 360 assets, etc). It would give them plenty of time to not only make the Wii U versions of games look better than current gen, but to make them stand out gameplay-wise as well.

BurntPork said:
Hm... What if Nintendo didn't anticipate how small of a jump Wii U is over current-gen consoles visually and they're struggling to bump up the specs a bit? That would be in-line with the rumor that they didn't show third-party games running on Wii U because they weren't as much of an improvement over PS360 as they had hoped.

I could definitely see there being concerns causing them to make adjustments, but I don't see that rumor being one of the causes especially when adding "hoped" changes the context of the rumor.

BurntPork

Banned
bgassassin said:
I could definitely see there being concerns causing them to make adjustments, but I don't see that rumor being one of the causes especially when adding "hoped" changes the context of the rumor.
Yeah, I know I'm really reaching. :/

lednerg

AceBandage said:
A September launch would give them over a year and a half with dev kits.
Most developers got kits early this year.
Are we sure 'most' of them did? I know that EA and Ubi had them that long, but they're fricken huge, so that's not a surprise. A lot of the dev quotes I remember from E3 sounded like they came from people who hadn't messed with it.

[Nintex] said:
Between Megaman Legends 3D, the dissapearance of Chocobo Racing, the cancellation of Assassins Creed and a bunch of other games the 3DS's future doesn't look good right now.
You're overblowing things. Less than 10 3DS games have been canceled, out of over 200 announced games.

lednerg said:
Are we sure 'most' of them did? I know that EA and Ubi had them that long, but they're fricken huge, so that's not a surprise. A lot of the dev quotes I remember from E3 sounded like they came from people who hadn't messed with it.

Yeah, Launch will show how long they had the dev kits. Those that had it for longer will probably have either exclusives (killer freaks) while the rest will be up ports (or down ports from PC)

lednerg said:

Well, by most I mean the big third parties that people really care about.
EA, Ubisoft, THQ, Activision, Square, Capcom.

[Nintex]

lunchwithyuzo said:
You're overblowing things. Less than 10 3DS games have been canceled, out of over 200 announced games.
Just look at the difference between Metal Gear Solid 3D E3 2010 and E3 2011 demo and it's obvious where the money is flowing towards.

lednerg

boris feinbrand said:
Yeah, Launch will show how long they had the dev kits. Those that had it for longer will probably have either exclusives (killer freaks) while the rest will be up ports (or down ports from PC)
That's what I figure. I was kind of surprised how far along Killer Freaks was in such a short amount of time.
AceBandage said:
True dat.

lednerg said:
That's what I figure. I was kind of surprised how far along Killer Freaks was in such a short amount of time.

Really? Looked terribly rough to me. I kind of wish that the new Zapper with the screen mounted would be supported for most fps games on the wii U. Games like Alien colonial Marines would surely be a blast to play with it.

Here's hoping that IR aiming will remain a set feature for Wii U shooters.

BurntPork

Banned
AceBandage said:
People care about Ubisoft?

(Note: I am extremely bitter toward Ubisoft, especially on Nintendo platforms, whih they always screw over BIG time. The cancellation of AC: Lost Legacy combined with the upcoming online pass pushed me over the edge with them, in fact, and I've vowed never to buy their games again.)

boris feinbrand said:
I kind of wish that the new Zapper with the screen mounted would be supported for most fps games on the wii U. Games like Alien colonial Marines would surely be a blast to play with it.

Here's hoping that IR aiming will remain a set feature for Wii U shooters.

I support the ideas of this post.

Here's a neat idea. So Nintendo is obviously still not jumping onto the achievements bandwagon, and still not committing to a full-on online experience per Nintendo itself. So why not announce a huge partnership with Steam, EA, Battle.net?

You end up letting the market decide, and you kill two birds with one stone. All "achievements" could be acquired through a Wii U Steam/EA/Battle client, and all those accomplishments could all be synced together and sorted on the U's "Gamercard" in the dash or what have you. It could handle friends, chat, text, even browser capability far more streamlined than 360/PS3, especially on the tablet. You set up one Wii U account, and upon creating a first time game save it auto-creates a add-on for whatever is supporting it like Steam. It also takes care of online play, and even cloud saving and possibly awesome deals and Indie support.

Not only that, but if we see something like Steam integration/support, developers of older games (VC/Wii) can retroactively go and add achievement support for older games or revitalize online play. It's a win, win for everybody.

You guy's see any real potential issues with this scenario, assuming the syncing and sorting isn't micro-management like and more or less invisible?

TheExplodingHead said:
Here's a neat idea. So Nintendo is obviously still not jumping onto the achievements bandwagon, and still not committing to a full-on online experience per Nintendo itself. So why not announce a huge partnership with Steam, EA, Battle.net?

You end up letting the market decide, and you kill two birds with one stone. All "achievements" could be acquired through a Wii U Steam/EA/Battle client, and all those accomplishments could all be synced together and sorted on the U's "Gamercard" in the dash or what have you. It could handle friends, chat, text, even browser capability far more streamlined than 360/PS3, especially on the tablet. You set up one Wii U account, and upon creating a first time game save it auto-creates a add-on for whatever is supporting it like Steam. It also takes care of online play, and even cloud saving and possibly awesome deals and Indie support.

Not only that, but if we see something like Steam integration/support, developers of older games (VC/Wii) can retroactively go and add achievement support for older games or revitalize online play. It's a win, win for everybody.

You guy's see any real potential issues with this scenario, assuming the syncing and sorting isn't micro-management like and more or less invisible?

The problem with the scenario is the first paragraph. After the CPU and GPU I was planning on making a post about the online. I'll need to get that together soon.

bgassassin said:
The problem with the scenario is the first paragraph. After the CPU and GPU I was planning on making a post about the online. I'll need to get that together soon.

To be honest I was reluctant to even mention EA/Activision in any best case scenario. But obvious nickel and diming issues, shady support aside, they probably would be the first to be willing to consider a proposition like this.

But full Steam/Battle.net support I'd love to see. Not only that, but in regard to piracy which will inevitably rear it's head this type of system could go a long way to help that and keep dev confidence high.

TheExplodingHead said:
To be honest I was reluctant to even mention EA/Activision in any best case scenario. But obvious nickel and diming issues, shady support aside, they probably would be the first to be willing to consider a proposition like this.

But full Steam/Battle.net support I'd love to see.

What I mean is:

So Nintendo is obviously still not jumping onto the achievements bandwagon, and still not committing to a full-on online experience per Nintendo itself.

Not only have the bits we know not said that, they have in instances said the opposite.

Eteric Rice

The best I can see at this point is Nintendo's system acting as a interface for third party online.

Think Facebook. A lot of websites have sign ups now, where you just click Facebook and it sends all the needed information to the person you're signing up with.

Eteric Rice said:
The best I can see at this point is Nintendo's system acting as a interface for third party online.

Think Facebook. A lot of websites have sign ups now, where you just click Facebook and it sends all the needed information to the person you're signing up with.

That's likely how it will be.
Nintendo will create a kind of base system where you enter your username and information, and that will be used for each service.

Eteric Rice said:

I can see that happening, but it being an "at worst" scenario.

[Nintex] said:
Just look at the difference between Metal Gear Solid 3D E3 2010 and E3 2011 demo and it's obvious where the money is flowing towards.
I was mad at first, but then I saw what their idea of HD 1080 remake:

peacewalker_compare_05.jpg

BurntPork

Banned
TheExplodingHead said:

Why is this obvious?

I imagine launch date might have a lot to do with whether the economy is improving. They may try to hold it off as long as possible.

The 3DS actually may have done better if people had, like, jobs.

jay

ShockingAlberto said:
I imagine launch date might have a lot to do with whether the economy is improving. They may try to hold it off as long as possible.

Other systems seem to be selling despite no one having an income.

Kunan

No one has said it doesn't have achievements. Gabe's comments about the online capabilities suggest that if Valve has a presence, it will most definitely have Steam.

BurntPork said:
Why is this obvious?

Well I tend to grab my implications from history... And if past tendencies have anything to say, if Nintendo doesn't outright confirm it or acts somewhat dodgy when questioned repeatedly...they probably don't have serious plans. As far as PR/exec questions go, Nintendo is acting with the same attitude they did about online and graphics. Dodging questions and refusing to substantively comment. In fact Nintendo (Miyamoto in particular), has outright said they have no plans to offer a service on par with XBL. In my view, if achievements were being seriously considered in a "Nintendo-esque" way, they'd be on the 3DS now. I try not to assume as much as I can, although it can be hard.

Nintendo continually slips any hard questions when pressed about strong online, achievements, DLC. And trots out that line about "we want to offer a new and unique service in our own way". Well, look how that same reasoning worked out for Wii's online and achievement system. I personally can totally live without achievements (although they can be cool), and online but it's a massive fail to not deliver both when gamers demand it and expect it.

BurntPork

Banned
ShockingAlberto said:

Oh, come on. That is a gross exaggeration of how expensive 3DS is. And anyway, the fact that prices are reasonable in many places in Europe prove that people just don't want the 3DS right now. Games are the primary problem.

BurntPork

Banned
TheExplodingHead said:
Well I tend to grab my implications from history... And if past tendencies have anything to say, if Nintendo doesn't outright confirm it or acts somewhat dodgy when questioned repeatedly...they probably don't have serious plans. As far as PR/exec questions go, Nintendo is acting with the same attitude they did about online and graphics. Dodging questions and refusing to substantively comment. In fact Nintendo (Miyamoto in particular), has outright said they have no plans to offer a service on par with XBL. In my view, if achievements were being seriously considered in a "Nintendo-esque" way, they'd be on the 3DS now. I try not to assume as much as I can, although it can be hard.

Nintendo continually slips any hard questions when pressed about strong online, achievements, DLC. And trots out that line about "we want to offer a new and unique service in our own way". Well, look how that same reasoning worked out for Wii's online and achievement system. I personally can totally live without achievements (although they can be cool), and online but it's a massive fail to not deliver both when gamers demand it and expect it.
The same could have been said a year ago concerning whether or not 3DS has a system-wide friend code. They're being dodgy because it's Nintendo. You're more than likely right, but still, with Nintendo dodginess sometimes simply means that it's not finalized or that they're not ready to talk about it.

No one said that it won't be on par with PSN/XBL. Miyamoto only said that they don't care about being the best, and Reggie said the exact opposite of that you're implying. (Of course, every good thing that Reggie says is a PR lie.)

Anyway, I was asking specifically about achievements.

jay said:
Other systems seem to be selling despite no one having an income.
none of them are premium systems. 360 is cheaper than 3DS and it is a home console with 6 years worth of backlog. (not to say that it would have sold gangbusters otherwise, the problem is actually with 3DS being practically not much more than a premium DSi at the moment)

I'm not saying it's the one and only cause, but the economy not doing well affects everything from milk to entertainment products. This isn't some entirely outlandish thing, guys.

If it were cheaper, it would do better. But being expensive would not have hurt it as much as it did if this were 1999.

I don't see the outrage at this idea, honestly.

ShockingAlberto said:
I'm not saying it's the one and only cause, but the economy not doing well affects everything from milk to entertainment products. This isn't some entirely outlandish thing, guys.

If it were cheaper, it would do better. But being expensive would not have hurt it as much as it did if this were 1999.

I don't see the outrage at this idea, honestly.

I don't find the idea outrageous i just think it's a very minor issue barely worth mentioning. The 360 and PS3 seem to be doing very well despite being more expensive. It also doesn't seem to be slowing down other entertainment devices like the iphone.

The only market where i think this argument is somewhat legitimate is in Japan. Even then i think there are much bigger reasons for the 3DS's slow start.

jay

walking fiend said:
none of them are premium systems. 360 is cheaper than 3DS and it is a home console with 6 years worth of backlog. (not to say that it would have sold gangbusters otherwise, the problem is actually with 3DS being practically not much more than a premium DSi at the moment)

The average sales price of the 360 is higher than $250.

My only point, which seems to have been missed, is that Nintendo will probably take the state of the economy in to consideration when deciding a release date.

jay said:
The average sales price of the 360 is higher than $250.
no, it is not, it was 223 till may, ~$235 in 2010, even in 2007 it was $300

http://www.trefis.com/stock/msft/ar...ing-price-tied-to-its-market-share/2011-05-30
My only point, which seems to have been missed, is that Nintendo will probably take the state of the economy in to consideration when deciding a release date.
I believe they won't, since the hardware seems to be fixed at the moment, and if they decide to delay it, it'll just become outdated week after week. I believe they will just adjust the launch price according to that.

lednerg

There's no way that anything is set in stone for their online strategy this far from launch. That's why we haven't heard anything about it beyond some vague comments catering to publishers. All we do know is that they are enlisting the help of a 3rd party to work it out. So I don't get why people are assuming that it's going to be just like what Nintendo has done before. That makes no sense. While I can't say it's definitely going to have this and this feature, I also can't say it won't - nobody can.

boris feinbrand said:
Really? [Killer Freaks] Looked terribly rough to me. ...
Yeah, but considering they're making a game from scratch on brand new hardware with sub-Alpha dev kits, I was just impressed they had anything resembling a game at all to show us this early on. All I remember a year before PS3 launched was CGI "target renders" and some PS2/PC footage labeled "coming to PS3". But with KF, they were actually able to give us a little real-time 'pitch' about what the game was going to be like, showing off single and multiplayer modes. Sure, the controls weren't ready for prime time, they only had one level/monster, and the graphics were as unpolished as a sponge, I could still tell that given some time with final dev kits, they should wind up with a fun game in the end.

jay

walking fiend said:
no, it is not, it was 223 till may, ~$235 in 2010, even in 2007 it was $300

http://www.trefis.com/stock/msft/ar...ing-price-tied-to-its-market-share/2011-05-30

NPD disagrees with Trefis.

hardware-asps-apr-may-2011.png

ShockingAlberto said:

Why do you think they'll do this? They didn't appear to with the 3DS considering the DS still has life in it and they could have waited longer. Do you think they will learn from a mistake (very un-Nintendo like) or disagree with my premise?

lednerg said:
Yeah, but considering they're making a game from scratch on brand new hardware with sub-Alpha dev kits, I was just impressed they had anything resembling a game at all to show us this early on. All I remember a year before PS3 launched was CGI "target renders" and some PS2/PC footage labeled "coming to PS3". But with KF, they were actually able to give us a little real-time 'pitch' about what the game was going to be like, showing off single and multiplayer modes. Sure, the controls weren't ready for prime time, they only had one level/monster, and the graphics were as unpolished as a sponge, I could still tell that given some time with final dev kits, they should wind up with a fun game in the end.

Exactly. That they were able to do that much in such a short amount of time (Darksiders crew had dev kits for 5 weeks before e3, Ubi probably had them for longer) is quite impressive. The team obviously didn't want to show the build they had for obvious reason ( some of the youtube comments on the KF vids should be a clue why), but what they had is impressive. Espcially given the 'turn around' games can go through, KF looking as good as it did on early dev kits with a short dev time only gives me hope for the final game (until I remember Red Steel).

NPD disagrees with Trefis.
No, it doesn't actually. 1- it is global 2 - it is not just two months, this month for example, microsoft had LOTS of promotions, either as $100 gift cards or free 360 with laptops.

3 - it is most probably console price only with Kinect price reduced, of course Kinect adds to the overall value of the package and its price.

Regardless, it doesn't make a difference, you may get a Kinect + 360 bundle at 300$, while 3DS is 250$.
Why do you think they'll do this? They didn't appear to with the 3DS considering the DS still has life in it and they could have waited longer. Do you think they will learn from a mistake (very un-Nintendo like) or disagree with my premise?
They should have waited for PSV to launch? There wouldn't be much benefit to that.

BurntPork

Banned
jay said:
How is learning from a mistake "un-Nintendo like?"

lednerg

StreetsAhead said:
... (until I remember Red Steel).
Yeah, I hear you - but to be fair, Red Steel was from Ubisoft Paris (Rayman Raving Rabbids 2, XIII), while Killer Freaks is from Ubisoft Montpellier (Rayman Origins, Spielberg's TinTin, BG&E2).

mAcOdIn

walking fiend said:
The only thing that keeps core gamers royal to Sony or Microsoft are their friends who own the systems and their achievements/trophies. Core gamers care about Call of Duty, GTA, Battlefield, Assassins Creed; if Nintendo manages to bring Origin, Steam, etc, on Wii U and unifies them via a central account, its online department will receive tremendous support from third parties and that's all they need. 1st party development at Sony or Microsoft in terms of marketing capacity is puny compared to Nintendo or EA or Activision.
This is not true at all.

Now I'm in no way saying Nintendo scoring something like that would be a negative for them but there are console fanboys, franchise fanboys, and all other manners of fanboys out there. Seriously. Honestly speaking about everyone who owned a N64, Gamecube and Wii is going to get the Wii-U, those are Nintendo fanboys, they're not for grabs by anyone and Sony and MS(Ugh Why?? lol) also have them. Then you have people who follow franchises, since true 3rd party exclusives are getting to be pretty rare, thank goodness, many of these guys will actually be up for grabs by anyone, then you have the impulse buyer who'll buy something if it appeals to them and lastly you got the person who'll buy all the systems.

The friends list is a big deal. Just having the list isn't the kicker though, you have to be able to play, if Nintendo gets some kind of integration but they can only play other Wii-U gamers then Nintendo's in no better position then they are now. Second, an open system like that that can integrate with Origin, Steam or whatever is great but also a liability, now if a contract runs out the integration may go. Nintendo's online experience would also now be measured by all of those variables so if Origin or Steam went down for a bit that would be both out of Nintendo's hands and yet it would still reflect poorly on them so any integration of those services brings the added weight of any and all of them to constantly be up and properly integrating with Nintendo's service, any seemingly benign change on Nintendo, EA or Valve's part could throw it out of whack. Alternatively though this could also be a strength as Origin going down may not bring all of Nintendo's service down which but again it's still also a liability as possibly any exploit in any of those services may also be able to bring Nintendo's down, this just remains to be seen. And while I am a huge proponent of at least having Wii-U vs PC gaming going if such integration is the plan even that opens up tons of issues, console gamers will be exposed to more cheaters, you're at the mercy of the publisher for that integration and at some point a compatible cross platform game may be locked out from playing other platforms leading to a large uncertainty of whether you really can count on that feature lasting and of course storage space. And lastly, how the fuck do you sell this? Origin is brand new currently and it remains to be seen if it will even take off and not be cancelled by the time the Wii-U ships, and while Steam is a known entity to PC gamers how do you sell Steam friends integration to a console gamer who has no friends on Steam? If Origin or Steamworks titles do come out on the Wii and do integrate with the PC versions but can not play the PC version then how the fuck do you convey that and sell that as a feature to the consumer? At that point it might as well have been any damn friends list as who the fuck gives a shit if you can see your friend playing Shogun Total War on their PC while you're on your Wii-U if you can't interact with them? And for PC users how the fuck do you sell the steam or Origin integration but with no cross gaming support and not having the main store features? Again at that point it might have just as well been a completely new service from scratch. So while I think Nintendo having companies do the legwork for them is good for Nintendo because frankly they're downright incompetent in that arena I don't think it's a great thing and while I do think pc and Wii-U cross gaming would be the best case scenario we could hope for I don't think that is even THAT great of a win for Nintendo as it's just such a huge damn variable that console gamers have not had to deal with that I'm not sure it'd be an easy sell for them.

The Assassins' Creed Wii U game is not Revelations, Ubisoft has confirmed.

In an interview with Swedish website Aftonbladet, translated by our Swedish brethren Eurogamer.se, Ubisoft mega boss Yves Guillemot said it's "for the future".

Here's the exact translation:

"We saw something about a new Assassin's Creed for Wii U. What can you say about that?" asks the website.

"Our next edition of Assassin's will be in a Wii U version," Guillemot replies.

"Assassin's Creed: Revelations?"

"No, not Revelations. For the future."

"So it's Assassin's Creed III? Or is it something else?

"I can't tell you that."

What does "for the future" mean? Some have speculated it means the Wii U game is set after Revelations, which sees Ezio parkour and stab in Ottoman Constantinople in 1511 AD.

Revelations also continues Desmond's story in the modern day, following the events of last year's Brotherhood.

It could of course be Assassin's Creed III, which, given the hugely popular series' annual release schedule, may fit with the Wii U launch.

Assassin's Creed Wii U was announced at E3 last month. Ubisoft's Quebec studio is currently working the game.

The controller's touch screen will display a persistent on-screen map and interactive database, allow for fast weapon selection, display alternative puzzles and be used for the game's eagle vision.

The game will re-use assets from the PC, PS3 and Xbox 360 entries in the series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom