• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread of Brains Beware: Wii U Re-Unveiling At E3 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
antonz said:
I am guessing Nintendo came down hard on Ubisoft about it all. It was tooe asy to pinpoint who was talking

Pretty much.
I'm surprised Yves didn't have bruises on his face from Iwata beating him half to death before the second developer's roundtable at E3.

MDX

BurntPork said:
They can't. That's software-dependent, not hardware dependent.

You mean I cant put a Wii disc into the WiiU and play the Wii game on the controller?
Please elaborate...

Truth101

Banned
MDX said:
You mean I cant put a Wii disc into the WiiU and play the Wii game on the controller?
Please elaborate...

If it was purely hardware driven BC like GCN with the Wii is then probably not. Saying that, I doubt that BC on the Wii U will be purely hardware based in all likelihood it will be some type of emulation. If it is emulation then it should be able to output a Wii game on the controller.

z0m3le

Banned
Truth101 said:
If it was purely hardware driven BC like GCN with the Wii is then probably not. Saying that, I doubt that BC on the Wii U will be purely hardware based in all likelihood it will be some type of emulation. If it is emulation then it should be able to output a Wii game on the controller.

Wow... no, it should be possible to output onto the controller either way, matter of fact, we can pretty much guess this is why the controller has a sensor bar on it in the first place. All the OS would need to do is output to the controller screen in 480p widescreen, and that would in fact play all Wii games to the controller without ever needing the Wii game to have any knowledge of that screen. The same can be done with all VC games, and this isn't even really a difficult thing for Nintendo to implement, as the GPU hardware is designed to do this at a chip level, meaning that Nintendo would literally have to go out of their way to disable that ability.

Truth101

Banned
z0m3le said:
Wow... no, it should be possible to output onto the controller either way, matter of fact, we can pretty much guess this is why the controller has a sensor bar on it in the first place. All the OS would need to do is output to the controller screen in 480p widescreen, and that would in fact play all Wii games to the controller without ever needing the Wii game to have any knowledge of that screen. The same can be done with all VC games, and this isn't even really a difficult thing for Nintendo to implement, as the GPU hardware is designed to do this at a chip level, meaning that Nintendo would literally have to go out of their way to disable that ability.

When the Wii goes into BC mode it locks out all the extra Wii features, don't know if that has changed at all.

If the Wii U was also like that, then it could possibly make outputting to the controller a lot more difficult. Now since I have no idea how it would actually works on the Wii U this is all just hypothetical guesses at possibilities depending on how the Wii U outputs the signal to the controller.

lednerg

I think he was just talking about rendering Wii games in HD native resolutions, and that hardware alone couldn't do that. Wii games on the controller screen is all but guaranteed. It's even uses the same exact resolution.

sfried

lednerg said:
I think he was just talking about rendering Wii games in HD native resolutions, and that hardware alone couldn't do that. Wii games on the controller screen is all but guaranteed. It's even uses the same exact resolution.
Considering they have mentioned making DQX "Wii-U enhanced", I believe there is a way to implement hardware up-resing as opposed to a mere uplscale.

Regardless, the very fact Wii-U supports HDMI, we already should see a bump in image quality.

Truth101

Banned
sfried said:
Considering they have mentioned making DQX "Wii-U enhanced", I believe there is a way to implement hardware up-resing as opposed to a mere uplscale.

Regardless, the very fact Wii-U supports HDMI, we already should see a bump in image quality.

That was a mistranslation.

z0m3le

Banned
Truth101 said:
When the Wii goes into BC mode it locks out all the extra Wii features, don't know if that has changed at all.

If the Wii U was also like that, then it could possibly make outputting to the controller a lot more difficult. Now since I have no idea how it would actually works on the Wii U this is all just hypothetical guesses at possibilities depending on how the Wii U outputs the signal to the controller.

the difference between Wii and Gamecube is that the Wii has an OS in the background, so unless you expect Wii U to use Wii's OS when it plays Wii games that you would see whenever you hit "HOUSE", and it's own OS when it plays Wii U games, than it is 100% safe to ASSUME that a Wii game can be output to the controller without needing it in the games software, I for one doubt that Nintendo would use 2 OSs in 1 box, it just makes no sense, when they can just make Wii U's OS backwards compatible with Wii games. Outputting to the screen on the controller is certainly not hindered by software or hardware, as it's built into the Wii U's OS, we know this because of Iwata's comments about the controller's screen sending messages and other info from the system while the tv is on something else. This can even be a low powered always on mode that uses a fraction of the system's power.

Truth101

Banned
z0m3le said:
the difference between Wii and Gamecube is that the Wii has an OS in the background, so unless you expect Wii U to use Wii's OS when it plays Wii games that you would see whenever you hit "HOUSE", and it's own OS when it plays Wii U games, than it is 100% safe to ASSUME that a Wii game can be output to the controller without needing it in the games software, I for one doubt that Nintendo would use 2 OSs in 1 box, it just makes no sense, when they can just make Wii U's OS backwards compatible with Wii games. Outputting to the screen on the controller is certainly not hindered by software or hardware, as it's built into the Wii U's OS, we know this because of Iwata's comments about the controller's screen sending messages and other info from the system while the tv is on something else. This can even be a low powered always on mode that uses a fraction of the system's power.

I really think you are misunderstanding what I am saying.

I'm not saying the Wii U controller can or can't display Wii games. I'm only stating it depends on how the BC compatibility works on the Wii U, that is all.

z0m3le

Banned
Truth101 said:
I really think you are misunderstanding what I am saying.

I'm not saying the Wii U controller can or can't display Wii games. I'm only stating it depends on how the BC compatibility works on the Wii U, that is all.
I told you how it would work, the games do not hold the Wii's OS, so Wii U will have it's own OS that will respond to the home button press as the Wii games did, this OS is all that is needed to output to the controller screen, it is something the hardware can do automatically inside that OS, to display to the controller screen, we are in a speculation thread, and we can speculate about a lot of things, but this isn't even worth considering, the screen is suppose to work with the OS even when not playing games, to have it turn off while emulating Wii games makes no sense, even if it is somehow hardware related, the OS will be running behind those games, and it is 100% possible to run the image onto the screen just as easy as it will be for it to display through the HDMI.

Sky Chief

Truth101 said:

Original PS3 does not have that problem. No need for old memory cards and controllers. It's just bad design on the part of the Wii.

z0m3le

Banned
Sky Chief said:
Original PS3 does not have that problem. No need for old memory cards and controllers. It's just bad design on the part of the Wii.
It's also something the Wii U will have to not have a problem with, as it won't emulate the Wii's OS, the games don't even have the OS on the disc, it will have Wii U features via Home button, as the OS will run in the background of Wii U, regardless of what the console is doing.

BurntPork

Banned
lednerg said:
It's not guaranteed. If it were, Reggie would have said the same of Netflix when asked. Being able to stream to the controller screen is software dependent.

z0m3le

Banned
BurntPork said:
It's not guaranteed. If it were, Reggie would have said the same of Netflix when asked. Being able to stream to the controller screen is software dependent.
You think Reggie helped design the console or understands the tech behind Wii U? he is a talking face, and has no idea what Wii U can do on a hardware basis, if it's possible to use the internet through the controller, it should be possible to use Netflix through the browser too, unless they fail to use sliver light, which is something the system is more than capable of doing.

I really don't understand why people are unwilling to believe Nintendo is a 21 century company. NeoGAF has a hard time even believing that the Wii U will be more powerful than PS360, and when they do believe it, they assume 1.5x more powerful, because that holds some sort of logic.

It's like no one here has used a modern PC, GPUs can output onto whatever they want, the OS already allows for this, there could literally be an option in the OS settings that forces output to the controller and HDMI with the same image. Not saying they would do this, but for them to put a sensor bar on the controller, it's completely possible. As for HD upscaling, that is already off the table, Nintendo commented on it weeks ago and said it would not, but it is completely capable of doing such a thing.

BurntPork

Banned
z0m3le said:
You think Reggie helped design the console or understands the tech behind Wii U? he is a talking face, and has no idea what Wii U can do on a hardware basis, if it's possible to use the internet through the controller, it should be possible to use Netflix through the browser too, unless they fail to use sliver light, which is something the system is more than capable of doing.

I really don't understand why people are unwilling to believe Nintendo is a 21 century company. NeoGAF has a hard time even believing that the Wii U will be more powerful than PS360, and when they do believe it, they assume 1.5x more powerful, because that holds some sort of logic.

It's like no one here has used a modern PC, GPUs can output onto whatever they want, the OS already allows for this, there could literally be an option in the OS settings that forces output to the controller and HDMI with the same image. Not saying they would do this, but for them to put a sensor bar on the controller, it's completely possible. As for HD upscaling, that is already off the table, Nintendo commented on it weeks ago and said it would not, but it is completely capable of doing such a thing.
So, you're saying that you understand the console better than Reggie?

And why is it hard to believe that it would be software-based? I think you're letting your hopes get the best of your common sense, especially given how pointless such functionality would be for the overwhelming majority of Wii games.

Truth101

Banned
z0m3le said:

It has been stated by a Wii U developer that it takes a few lines of code to output to the Wii U controller, so we do know that while it might not take much it still has to be programmed in the software. The Wii U does the rest of the work.

Though if you know more about the system than the DEVS who are working on it then by all means share with us.

lednerg

I get that Nintendo has made dumb mistakes in the past, and that everybody's always guessing they're going to do the stupidest things imaginable, but come on. Not supporting Wii games via the controller screen makes no sense whatsoever. It's a major selling point of the console to be able to play games without a TV, after all. They even went so far as to make a mini sensor bar above the screen so you can use Wiimotes with it. What would be stopping them? It's not like Wii games would be using all of the CPU cores; Wii U's OS would still be running underneath everything.

z0m3le

Banned
Truth101 said:
It has been stated by a Wii U developer that it takes a few lines of code to output to the Wii U controller, so we do know that while it might not take much it still has to be programmed in the software. The Wii U does the rest of the work.

Though if you know more about the system than the DEVS who are working on it then by all means share with us.
It's also been said that the OS will display to the controller, and burntpork, yes I think most techy understand the hardware better then Reggie. If you think what I said is wrong, let me know why. AMD has said that the gpu has eyeinfinity, which works the way I am saying.

Here, if you guys want to keep talking about this, explain to me why it would have a sensor bar on it, if it won't play wii games? how is it that they are willing to spend thousands of dollars on the controllers ability to use a controller that will not be used for 1p games, how does that make sense?

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
z0m3le said:
It's also been said that the OS will display to the controller, and burntpork, yes I think most techy understand the hardware better then Reggie. If you think what I said is wrong, let me know why. AMD has said that the gpu has eyeinfinity, which works the way I am saying.

Here, if you guys want to keep talking about this, explain to me why it would have a sensor bar on it, if it won't play wii games? how is it that they are willing to spend thousands of dollars on the controllers ability to use a controller that will not be used for 1p games, how does that make sense?

Wii BC will use Hollywood/Broadway, it won't use the main GPU. So the hardware streaming is out. This is also why Wii games don't upscale.

Wii U will shut everything else down for 100% BC, apart from very basic pause menu. The sensor bar on the controller (has it even actually been confirmed to be one, apart from just looking like it is?) would be for bonkers use of remote + U controller. It's just for completeness.

Truth101

Banned
z0m3le said:

Of course the OS will be displayed on the controller no one said differently. That doesn't mean that software will not have to be programmed, no matter how simple it is, to use that function. The code to output data to the controller is coded and then the Wii U handles everything else. It's simple, but it still requires the developer to put it into use.

The sensor bar is going to be used for games that use Motion+ along with the tablet controller, such as the golf demo game that was shown. Again, no one is saying that Wii games can't/won't be displayed on the controller.

lednerg

Didn't see this earlier:
BurntPork said:
Reggie isn't a spokesperson for Netflix. It would be bad form for him to be making promises/statements on their behalf about a future product, especially one he probably knows nothing about. All he can say is that it would be possible if they chose to do so. Unless/until Netflix says it themselves, there's nothing else for Reggie to say.

As far as Wii games go, sure, they aren't written to support the Wii U controller screen... but so what? The Wii U OS already knows how to do it on its own, it's just a matter of turning it on. It's not like once somebody puts a Wii disc in there, the system gets amnesia all the sudden and forgets what it is (which was like the Wii was with GC games).

BurntPork

Banned
lednerg said:
I get that Nintendo has made dumb mistakes in the past, and that everybody's always guessing they're going to do the stupidest things imaginable, but come on. Not supporting Wii games via the controller screen makes no sense whatsoever. It's a major selling point of the console to be able to play games without a TV, after all. They even went so far as to make a mini sensor bar above the screen so you can use Wiimotes with it. What would be stopping them? It's not like Wii games would be using all of the CPU cores; Wii U's OS would still be running underneath everything.
It's only possible if the backwards compatibility is done through full software emulation, and if that were the case, they'd be able to make it so that Wii U can render Wii games in HD. it's a technical limitation. Why are you guys so hung-up on such a ridiculously impractical feature anyway? It just would not work for most Wii games. At all. I swear, the thinks that some of you guys ask for...

lednerg said:
Didn't see this earlier:

Reggie isn't a spokesperson for Netflix. It would be bad form for him to be making promises/statements on their behalf about a future product, especially one he probably knows nothing about. All he can say is that it would be possible if they chose to do so. Unless/until Netflix says it themselves, there's nothing else for Reggie to say.

As far as Wii games go, sure, they aren't written to support the Wii U controller screen... but so what? The Wii U OS already knows how to do it on its own, it's just a matter of turning it on. It's not like once somebody puts a Wii disc in there, the system gets amnesia all the sudden and forgets what it is (which was like the Wii was with GC games).
If they have to choose to do it, then it most likely means that they, themselves have to enable the feature. If there were no need for that and Wii U does it through the OS, then he would have been able to just say "yes." You're REALLY reaching here.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
lednerg said:
Didn't see this earlier:

It doesn't matter what the Wii U OS thinks, it probably won't even be left running in BC mode. Just a basic pause screen.

Streaming is dependent on the GPU, and in BC mode it won't be using it. It will be using Hollywood+Broadway for 100% compatibility. That's why Wii games only output in 480p on the U.

I really wouldn't expect to be able to play Wii games on the controller. You will be able to play Wii U games that support the remote in some bizarre ways, but BC will only be via the TV.

z0m3le

Banned
DECK'ARD said:
It doesn't matter what the Wii U OS thinks, it probably won't even be left running in BC mode. Just a basic pause screen.

Streaming is dependent on the GPU, and in BC mode it won't be using it. It will be using Hollywood+Broadway for 100% compatibility. That's why Wii games only output in 480p on the U.

I really wouldn't expect to be able to play Wii games on the controller. You will be able to play Wii U games that support the remote in some bizarre ways, but BC will only be via the TV.

I highly doubt you are right about any of those things, even having the Wii hardware inside of the Wii U box, would simply take up too much room, and honestly be a wasted cost, Wii can be emulated to a pretty good percentage, Nintendo can push that even further with custom parts, they emulated just about every console that the Wii plays except for the Gamecube, and I am guessing that Gamecube will show up on the VC, so for them to emulate Wii makes a good amount of sense.

Wii U will also have it's own OS that will run in the background while Wii is playing already, that is nearly a fact, unless you think it won't have home button support in Wii games. It's pretty much just a given with the sensor bar being on the controller that it would support play on the Wii Upad

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
z0m3le said:
I highly doubt you are right about any of those things, even having the Wii hardware inside of the Wii U box, would simply take up too much room, and honestly be a wasted cost, Wii can be emulated to a pretty good percentage, Nintendo can push that even further with custom parts, they emulated just about every console that the Wii plays except for the Gamecube, and I am guessing that Gamecube will show up on the VC, so for them to emulate Wii makes a good amount of sense.

Wii U will also have it's own OS that will run in the background while Wii is playing already, that is nearly a fact, unless you think it won't have home button support in Wii games. It's pretty much just a given with the sensor bar being on the controller that it would support play on the Wii Upad

It will be hardware emulation, not software. The Wii's GPU is just too different and Nintendo *always* go for 100% compatibility. At most it will be 2 chips, or one if part of their R&D spend was to combine them. It won't take up any room at all. The reason there is no upscaling of Wii games on the Wii U is because it's firing out exactly the same video signal the Wii did, from the same GPU.

The Home button will just call up a simple menu as the Wii and 3DS do when running in BC mode.

There is no reason to think they will change any of this, as it keeps things simple and that's the way they like it. When you are playing Wii games on the Wii U you will be playing them as you did on the Wii. On the TV.

z0m3le

Banned
DECK'ARD said:
It will be hardware emulation, not software. The Wii's GPU is just too different and Nintendo *always* go for 100% compatibility. At most it will be 2 chips, or one if part of their R&D spend was to combine them. It won't take up any room at all. The reason there is no upscaling of Wii games on the Wii U is because it's firing out exactly the same video signal the Wii did, from the same GPU.

The Home button will just call up a simple menu as the Wii and 3DS do when running in BC mode.

There is no reason to think they will change any of this, as it keeps things simple and that's the way they like it. When you are playing Wii games on the Wii U you will be playing them as you did on the Wii. On the TV.

First, Nintendo emulated N64 on Gamecube, they also emulated everything other than Gamecube on Wii. They have a history of emulation, and Wii U will be powerful enough to emulate software, just because they can upscale does not mean that they will, most of the time enhancing with Emulation is what causes emulators to have bugs. -So you are wrong, they have a history of Emulating a lot of things. Was Super GameBoy for the SNES an emulator? I am not sure, but you could be very very wrong for many many years if true.

Second Home button does nothing in BC mode on Wii, in the Virtual console it does stuff, but with the Gamecube BC, it does nothing.

Why would you waste time, money, and make the system bigger, when a Wii Emulator would pull off Wii games at least as good as their N64 emulator for the Gamecube? all they need is to customize the hardware and have enough fast ram available.

I think you are making quite the leap to say that it will be hardware emulation.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
z0m3le said:
First, Nintendo emulated N64 on Gamecube, they also emulated everything other than Gamecube on Wii. They have a history of emulation, and Wii U will be powerful enough to emulate software, just because they can upscale does not mean that they will, most of the time enhancing with Emulation is what causes emulators to have bugs. -So you are wrong, they have a history of Emulating a lot of things. Was Super GameBoy for the SNES an emulator? I am not sure, but you could be very very wrong for many many years if true.

Second Home button does nothing in BC mode on Wii, in the Virtual console it does stuff, but with the Gamecube BC, it does nothing.

Why would you waste time, money, and make the system bigger, when a Wii Emulator would pull off Wii games at least as good as their N64 emulator for the Gamecube? all they need is to customize the hardware and have enough fast ram available.

I think you are making quite the leap to say that it will be hardware emulation.

It's sticking in 2 chips (maybe even 1) for perfect 100% compatibility. In terms of the size of the console, this is the last of their worries.

You are talking about emulating vastly different things, emulating the Wii is a much bigger headache and even Dolphin which has people dedicated round to clock to and has been going for YEARS isn't perfect yet. Nintendo aren't going to have BC that isn't perfect, and they aren't going to be devoting resources to getting every single Wii game perfect when they also have a new console to develop for.

They will just stick a couple of chips in and call it day. If they were using the main GPU the video output would be upscaled, it's not. Even with no enhancement whatsoever, let alone re-rendering, it would fire out a 1080p signal. The reason it isn't is because it's the Wii chipset that is doing it and that doesn't have the memory for it.

If it was upscaled you'd have some indication to think they might be going down this route, at the moment you have none so I really wouldn't expect it.

lednerg

The reason Wii games aren't going to be rendered in HD is because they would have to individually customize and bug test the render engines for each and every game that exists for Wii. They would then have to store all of those individual customizations in every Wii U sold, and keep it updated should any new Wii games come out afterwards. It would be a shit load of work, cost millions, and totally not be worth it. It would also fuck up that whole 100% compatibility thing. Lack of HD Wii games is not proof of anything other than Nintendo not wanting to waste an incredible amount of time and effort on something few would care about in the end.

EloquentM said:
There's no sensor bar on the wii u controller it's a camera.
The first leak about the controller, the one that specified a 6.2" screen, said it has a sensor bar. So does Wikipedia. Also, the introductory video shows the sensor bar in action (the golf footage).

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
lednerg said:
The reason Wii games aren't going to be rendered in HD is because they would have to individually customize and bug test the render engines for each and every game that exists for Wii. They would then have to store all of those individual customizations in every Wii U sold, and keep it updated should any new Wii games come out afterwards. It would be a shit load of work, cost millions, and totally not be worth it. It would also fuck up that whole 100% compatibility thing. Lack of HD Wii games is not proof of anything other than Nintendo not wanting to waste an incredible amount of time and effort on something few would care about in the end.

Rendering in HD would require software emulation and like you say be a pain in the arse and not 100%. Nintendo won't do it.

Scaling to HD would be free and have no complications, but would require use of the main GPU as it would need that memory. If it's using the Wii's chipset for BC as expected it would bypass the main GPU which is why we have no Wii games in HD.

And bypassing the main GPU that means no Wii games displayed on the controller, which considering it's emulating a system played on the TV is no surprise.

BurntPork

Banned
EloquentM said:
There's no sensor bar on the wii u controller it's a camera.
It has both.

And I'm done here. The fact that there are people who think that playing Wii games on the controller's screen is even remotely practical and go as far as say that Nintendo would be dumb for not having it is just plain depressing.

lednerg

Bypassing the "main GPU" would also mean that no games would be displayed on the TV screen. I seriously don't know what you're talking about. Also, there's no reason to include Broadway and Hollywood chips in a system that already speaks the same languages, namely "ATI/AMD" and "PowerPC". If anything, they'll just underclock themselves when running in "Wii mode" in order to match the timings that Wii games expect. That's how Broadway and Hollywood handled Gamecube games, after all.

BurntPork said:
And I'm done here. The fact that there are people who think that playing Wii games on the controller's screen is even remotely practical and go as far as say that Nintendo would be dumb for not having it is just plain depressing.
What are you even talking about? You're going out of your way to make sure people don't think Wii U could even do the most basic things imaginable. It's awe-inspiring.

BurntPork

Banned
lednerg said:
Bypassing the "main GPU" would also mean that no games would be displayed on the TV screen. I seriously don't know what you're talking about. Also, there's no reason to include Broadway and Hollywood chips in a system that already speaks the same languages, namely "ATI/AMD" and "PowerPC". If anything, they'll just underclock themselves when running in "Wii mode" in order to match the timings that Wii games expect. That's how Broadway and Hollywood handled Gamecube games, after all.

What are you even talking about? You're going out of your way to make sure people don't think Wii U could even do the most basic things imaginable. It's awe-inspiring.
A.) It's not basic. It doesn't work the way you think it does at all. I refuse to explain it again because you refuse to listen.

B.) IT'S A TOTALLY FUCKING USELESS FEATURE! Seriously, you don't see how awkward it would be? Really? Really? Do you have any common sense at all?

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
lednerg said:

They are just wired to the same HDMI output, it's not hard.

Broadway and Hollywood *were* the Gamecube, just tweaked, faster and with more memory. This is a completely different situation, and the main GPU has hardly anything in common with the Wii's except it's manufacturer. The Wii's GPU is practically antique.

If Nintendo want 100% compatibility, which they do, it will be hardware and the little information we have about it points to them using its chipset which is the simplest way of doing it. It's only outputting 480p because that's all the Wii could do.

No he isn't, he's just using common sense.

The sensor bar on the Wii U's controller is for Wii U games to make bizarre use of, not so you can play your Wii games on a 6" screen instead of the TV. Which would be quite frankly ridiculous with most of them.

saunderez

So all this arguing is because some people think they want to play Wii games using the tablet as the display device?

How the hell is that even going to work? Prop the tablet up on a table so you can get a bit of range from it? How about holding it at arms length in my left hand whilst I use the Wiimote in my right hand. If it's going to be that awkward why wouldn't you just use the TV the consoles plugged into?

What an absolutely useless "feature" to have.

Kunan

We really can't know for sure, just through assumption, that Wii games could be outputted to the controller screen. It's technically possible, but if any locks were done in the way Wii software was setup, combined with the way the games are played on the Wii U, it will be artificially limited.

lednerg

They didn't show the stand itself, but we know one exists based on this shot from the intro video:

sf6Z2.jpg

EDIT: And what I don't get is, how come people are so willingly able to accept that Wii U games can be played on the controller without a TV - EVEN IF THEY USE WIIMOTES - but the thought of a Wii game being played on it is so totally incomprehensible.

watershed

Banned
^God that controller is so not cool looking. The bezel is monstrous and really cheap looking. When I read the rumors of a screen controller I thought we'd see something like the vita but instead we got this. The difference being the vita looks pretty slick and the upad looks pretty fisher-price imho.

lednerg

artwalknoon said:
^God that controller is so not cool looking. The bezel is monstrous and really cheap looking. When I read the rumors of a screen controller I thought we'd see something like the vita but instead we got this. The difference being the vita looks pretty slick and the upad looks pretty fisher-price imho.
Except the Vita is reportedly uncomfortable as fuck after a while. Quit trolling.

watershed

Banned
lednerg said:
Except the Vita is reportedly uncomfortable as fuck after a while. Quit trolling.
R u serious? How am I trolling? The only hands on issues I've heard of with the vita have been with the indented space for the fingers to rest on the back but most people have said its quite comfortable and surprisingly comfortable because it is actually slimmer and lighter than it looks. The upad is said to be quite comfortable but people have questioned its usability in terms of the circle pads, shoulders, and triggers. Also my point was that it looks bulky and cheap, not uncomfortable to hold which I'm sure it is.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
lednerg said:
EDIT: And what I don't get is, how come people are so willingly able to accept that Wii U games can be played on the controller without a TV - EVEN IF THEY USE WIIMOTES - but the thought of a Wii game being played on it is so totally incomprehensible.

1) Because of the technical issue of how they will be doing BC
2) Because the Wii U games will be using it for gimmicky things like golf where the controller and TV are used both together.

They aren't doing it so you can look a dick waving your remote around at a 6" tablet with microscopic Mii's playing tennis.

BurntPork

Banned
artwalknoon said:
R u serious? How am I trolling? The only hands on issues I've heard of with the vita have been with the indented space for the fingers to rest on the back but most people have said its quite comfortable and surprisingly comfortable because it is actually slimmer and lighter than it looks. The upad is said to be quite comfortable but people have questioned its usability in terms of the circle pads, shoulders, and triggers. Also my point was that it looks bulky and cheap, not uncomfortable to hold which I'm sure it is.
There's no way to make a controller with a 6.2 inch screen not look bulky.

A portion of a Tbreak interview with Capcom Europe head, David Reeves...

TB: How about WiiU? Does Capcom have any plans for the system, especially for its launch next year, or bringing old franchises to be used with the unique tablet-controller capabilities?

DR: Capcom haven’t announced anything officially on Wii U. I think they have done prototypes. There are only so many things you can get ready for E3 [laughs]. But they might show something at the Tokyo Games Show which is where Wii U is more focused on. I haven’t seen anything personally myself but since the companies are quite close, I am sure they must be looking at something.
Some of the big names like Ubisoft and EA said that they will support it. I think Riccitiello was on stage at E3 and said ‘I am going to support it’, and when they say that, they will.

TB: But at the end of the day, they are all existing titles. They showed Battlefield 3 and other games but all of it will be out a year earlier.

DR: Never underestimate Nintendo though. You suddenly think ‘how have they managed to sell so many?’. Wii Sports and something like that…people play for ten minutes. They become tired and they stop playing. I think Nintendo will bounce back. I think they will come out with some original First Party titles. Nintendo has amazing First Party and that’s what drives it.

Erethian

artwalknoon said:

You're sure it's uncomfortable to hold?

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
DaSorcerer7 said:
A portion of a Tbreak interview with Capcom Europe head, David Reeves...

TB: How about WiiU? Does Capcom have any plans for the system, especially for its launch next year, or bringing old franchises to be used with the unique tablet-controller capabilities?

DR: Capcom haven’t announced anything officially on Wii U. I think they have done prototypes. There are only so many things you can get ready for E3 [laughs]. But they might show something at the Tokyo Games Show which is where Wii U is more focused on. I haven’t seen anything personally myself but since the companies are quite close, I am sure they must be looking at something.
Some of the big names like Ubisoft and EA said that they will support it. I think Riccitiello was on stage at E3 and said ‘I am going to support it’, and when they say that, they will.

TB: But at the end of the day, they are all existing titles. They showed Battlefield 3 and other games but all of it will be out a year earlier.

DR: Never underestimate Nintendo though. You suddenly think ‘how have they managed to sell so many?’. Wii Sports and something like that…people play for ten minutes. They become tired and they stop playing. I think Nintendo will bounce back. I think they will come out with some original First Party titles. Nintendo has amazing First Party and that’s what drives it.

So basically, he doesn't know anything.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
DECK'ARD said:
They are just wired to the same HDMI output, it's not hard.

Broadway and Hollywood *were* the Gamecube, just tweaked, faster and with more memory. This is a completely different situation, and the main GPU has hardly anything in common with the Wii's except it's manufacturer. The Wii's GPU is practically antique.

If Nintendo want 100% compatibility, which they do, it will be hardware and the little information we have about it points to them using its chipset which is the simplest way of doing it. It's only outputting 480p because that's all the Wii could do.
GPUs are much easier to emulate on other GPUs due to the always-present HAL (hardware abstraction layer) on top of a GPU. CPUs are an entirely different matter.

I'd be very surprised if WiiU hosted any Hollywood silicon inside.

On the subject of wii games streamed to the controller: I'd be very pissed if WiiU could not do that, at least for the games that had classic controller support.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom