• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread of Brains Beware: Wii U Re-Unveiling At E3 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fou-Lu

I expect games like Arkham City or Darksiders 2 to still come out for Wii U, they'll just include the DLC released so far, or have updated graphics, or just flat out added content.

BurntPork

Banned
TheNatural said:
Chill out, here's some news I haven't read before:

Capcom Europe boss David Reese divulged that they are, in fact, working on some prototypes, and that if we're lucky, we just might be able to spot a couple of them at the upcoming TGS event later in September.

"Capcom haven't announced anything officially on Wii U. I think they have done prototypes. There are only so many things you can get ready for E3. But they might show something at the Tokyo Games Show which is where Wii U is more focused on. I haven't seen anything personally myself but since the companies are quite close, I am sure they must be looking at something. Some of the big names like Ubisoft and EA said that they will support it. I think Riccitiello was on stage at E3 and said, 'I am going to support it,' and when they say that, they will."

http://www.qj.net/wii-u/news/capcom-might-have-something-for-the-wii-u-at-tgs-2011.html
This is, what, the third time this was posted?

[Nintex]

TheNatural said:
"Capcom haven't announced anything officially on Wii U. I think they have done prototypes. There are only so many things you can get ready for E3. But they might show something at the Tokyo Games Show which is where Wii U is more focused on. I haven't seen anything personally myself but since the companies are quite close, I am sure they must be looking at something. Some of the big names like Ubisoft and EA said that they will support it. I think Riccitiello was on stage at E3 and said, 'I am going to support it,' and when they say that, they will."

http://www.qj.net/wii-u/news/capcom-might-have-something-for-the-wii-u-at-tgs-2011.html
In other words, he doesn't know and no one has told him yet and Wii U at TGS? I doubt that, maybe Nintendo will do some october or Nintendo World thing or something but not TGS.

Vinci

Danish
BurntPork said:
I know that I was in denial. That was my point. Besides, the only reason I cared about power was that I wanted it to get ports next-gen and I wanted the inevitable $349-399 price tag to have some sort of justification. Now, it's as confirmed as it'll ever be that Nintendo hasn't learned a damn this from the mistakes of the Wii and 3DS. It's ridiculous that they actually believe the strategy used with Wii will be enough to repeat it's success. They have no clue, and as a result of it, they're going to lose millions of potential profit and cut the lifespan of the console by half.

You're making a LOT of assumptions about how things are going to play out next generation. I suggest that you simply relax and let whatever happens happen. No one is a prognosticator on what's actually going to happen. You don't know that developers will ignore the Wii U next-generation at all. In fact, I believe there are many of us who would argue they'd be stupid to - and that this generation has maybe taught them something they didn't know before. Perhaps 3rd parties and Nintendo will meet halfway rather than one side getting what it most desires in the world in the name of keeping the whole damn industry from unraveling.

But we'll see. Should be an interesting generation at any rate. One bonus for Nintendo is: They weren't dead last this gen. People will take the console more seriously than they ever took the Wii - that much is certain.

MDX

"We're not trying to bump up or bump down, but we reached it, and it wasn't hard. Once we got it up and running it was like 'cool, there it is. We're still waiting on that final hardware and architecture, and help from Nintendo to figure that out. Right now, it looks like it's more than the 360 or PlayStation 3, but there's still a question mark about how much you can squeeze out of it. You know how it is, a new system, tricks get learned as the lifespan goes along, so this is where we're starting, and it looks good. There was pressure originally as we only got the Wii U development kits about six weeks before E3 and wanted to get it up and running. Learning new hardware is the hardest part, it's uncharted territory.
http://www.videogamer.com/wiiu/dark...trying_to_bump_up_darksiders_ii_on_wii_u.html

That settles it.

Whats also interesting is:

Miyamoto:
"For the GameCube and Wii I was really deeply involved from the start and the design of the structure and development processes. For U Wii, I would say it represents the beginning of a transition with younger generations of Nintendo engineers who have been more involved in the development of the project. I am always very present and engaged myself, but less directly. It's as if I had stepped aside: I followed step by step work and gave them advice. "
(translated from http://pixazura.com/news/divers.php?id=1389)

I think myself that the younger generation of engineers will be really interested in pushing power. The old guard is changing for better or worse.

blu said:
Apparently you don't know the poster.

I can't put up with it any more, nor how his posts are like every 3rd post in any Wii U thread. I bit the bullet and put my first user on ignore here at Neogaf. I just wish it was total ignore like you used to be able to get on some forums. That way the thread wouldn't be littered with this person is on your ignore list posts.

It all comes down to this at this point we still don't know how much more powerful the Wii-U is over the current gen. The fact of the matter is that based on what little info we do have confirmed we do know its more powerful, just not how much. Plus based on what little info we do know, we know its not going to be another Wii/PS3/360 type situation. Where stuff done on the PS360 just couldn't be done on the Wii with out major rewriting and doing things over from scratch. Which is why a lot of ports didn't happen. If the hardware used modern shaders it would have seen more ports. We know that's not going to be the case this time around. Since the hardware is using a modern GPU.

The constant whining though is beyond fucking annoying.

BurntPork said:
I know that I was in denial. That was my point. Besides, the only reason I cared about power was that I wanted it to get ports next-gen and I wanted the inevitable $349-399 price tag to have some sort of justification. Now, it's as confirmed as it'll ever be that Nintendo hasn't learned a damn this from the mistakes of the Wii and 3DS. It's ridiculous that they actually believe the strategy used with Wii will be enough to repeat it's success. They have no clue, and as a result of it, they're going to lose millions of potential profit and cut the lifespan of the console by half.

Man, you really need to relax.

MDX

BurntPork said:
Now, it's as confirmed as it'll ever be that Nintendo hasn't learned a damn this from the mistakes of the Wii and 3DS. It's ridiculous that they actually believe the strategy used with Wii will be enough to repeat it's success. They have no clue, and as a result of it, they're going to lose millions of potential profit and cut the lifespan of the console by half.

Nintendo aint worried about the 3DS.

"Obviously, we can consider that the sales curve could be better, especially when compared to those of our previous hardware, and we were hoping to better themselves. But we must take into account the overall context of the industry during that period, and a cooling global sales of hardware. I also think that we have unfortunately not been able to present from the start a fairly comprehensive range of games. But this is no longer the case: new online features and all of a series of highly anticipated games will be there for the summer. The content that our players expect happens, do not worry.
http://pixazura.com/news/divers.php?id=1389

And I agree, games sell platforms. And its what Nintendo is known for, putting quality software on their hardware. Will Nintendo risk launching the WiiU without a major title? I dont think so. The WiiU will be sold to a different market than the portables. I predict at least one A level game, and two B level games during their launch window. Not including the pack in game.

Luckyman

Banned
Daschysta said:
The hardware is still in a state of flux and a long way off, if current hardware is 2x as powerful as the other two approximately it could end up 3 or 4x as powerful.Vigil states that though the current dev kit is warranting a port it's up in the air whether the final console could be significantly more powerful. It's nothing new that we didn't already know. Plus we know for a fact that the e3 build was incredibly early, so any extrapolations that Digital foundry made based on that showing are of little relevance until more final hardware exists/ leaks.

Tech is years old and you expect them to suddenly start shipping multiple times more powerful hardware just by random? That they are just fucking around with devs? Please.

People called this the first time they saw the white box. It´s called common sense.

Daschysta

Luckyman said:
Tech is years old and you expect them to suddenly start shipping multiple times more powerful hardware just by random? That they are just fucking around with devs? Please.

People called this the first time they saw the white box. It´s called common sense.

We know for a fact that initial hardware was extremely underclocked and not even close to complete, basically pre, pre, pre alpha. You call for common sense, i call for you to use your ability to read.

And as for common sense the same people that were basing hardware speculation on the box they saw also thought that the wii-u was weaker than the ps360 based on videos of.... ps360 games, forgive me for not trusting the heuristics of that common sense. I'd rather put stock in the little we know, and most hardware rumours that mention specifics fall in the range of 3-5x as powerful or more, at the minimum 2-3 x.

Shin Johnpv said:
It all comes down to this at this point we still don't know how much more powerful the Wii-U is over the current gen. The fact of the matter is that based on what little info we do have confirmed we do know its more powerful, just not how much. Plus based on what little info we do know, we know its not going to be another Wii/PS3/360 type situation. Where stuff done on the PS360 just couldn't be done on the Wii with out major rewriting and doing things over from scratch. Which is why a lot of ports didn't happen. If the hardware used modern shaders it would have seen more ports. We know that's not going to be the case this time around. Since the hardware is using a modern GPU.
A really major difference between this gen and next gen (and I'm not sure why I haven't seen more posts pointing this out) is that the Wii U is launching first. If there was another next gen console launching alongside the U that was light years more powerful than it or if we had the same situation from ths gen where the Wii launched a full year behind a console that was more powerful than it then it is I could see why people would be concerned.

No one will be surprised if consoles launching in 2013 or beyond are more powerful than the U, infact everyone would be shocked if they weren't. But by launching first Nintendo has the opportunity to set a new development baseline, much as the PS2 did, in which it won't matter how powerful the other consoles are because all 3rd party games will be made with the U as the lowest common denominator.

BurntPork

Banned
IceDoesntHelp said:
I only meant that Wii U will sell poorly (somewhere between GCN and N64) if its only quality titles are first-party, since they won't be able repeat Wii's success. They're limiting its potential by making it so that third-parties can't develop for it, and that's a large part of the reason the Wii Remote failed to reach its full potential. Nintendo needs to realize that third parties are important and that they don't have the resources to support Wii U on their own. I'm sure that third parties have told them this, but they refuse to listen. It's all about short-term profit with them. They have no foresight.

And I accidentally made a separate post again. I am an idiot.

BurntPork said:
I only meant that Wii U will sell poorly (somewhere between GCN and N64) if its only quality titles are first-party, since they won't be able repeat Wii's success. They're limiting its potential by making it so that third-parties can't develop for it, and that's a large part of the reason the Wii Remote failed to reach its full potential. Nintendo needs to realize that third parties are important and that they don't have the resources to support Wii U on their own. I'm sure that third parties have told them this, but they refuse to listen. It's all about short-term profit with them. They have no foresight.

And I accidentally made a separate post again. I am an idiot.
But everyone said that when the DS and Wii were shown, and what happened to them? Now I'm sure the Wii U WILL sell less then the Wii, but I'm positive it will sell more then the Gamecube.
But I thought devs were saying its easy to develop games on the Wii U. Am I wrong, or did I misread?
I also thought Iwata already stated that they know that thrid-party devs are important and that they are willing to "pay" for third parties. The same can't be said for NoA though.

I'm just going to quote myself because there's still so much fucking stupid abound.

Shin Johnpv said:
Plus based on what little info we do know, we know its not going to be another Wii/PS3/360 type situation. Where stuff done on the PS360 just couldn't be done on the Wii with out major rewriting and doing things over from scratch. Which is why a lot of ports didn't happen. If the hardware used modern shaders it would have seen more ports. We know that's not going to be the case this time around. Since the hardware is using a modern GPU.

This is not the Wii again, where because it didn't support modern Shaders it was a pain in the ass to port to and meant it didn't get ports. The Wii-U will be a SHIT TON more straight forward to port to.

BurntPork

Banned
IceDoesntHelp said:
But everyone said that when the DS and Wii were shown, and what happened to them? Now I'm sure the Wii U WILL sell less then the Wii, but I'm positive it will sell more then the Gamecube.
But I thought devs were saying its easy to develop games on the Wii U. Am I wrong, or did I misread?
I also thought Iwata already stated that they know that thrid-party devs are important and that they are willing to "pay" for third parties. The same can't be said for NoA though.
It's easy to develop for, but it won't support next-gen engines and therefore will end up in a situation similar to the Wii. The next-gen consoles will be 4-6x as powerful as Wii U, so scaling engines down, while possible, will not be easy, and companies like Epic, Crytek, and id won't support their next-gen middleware on it. It would not be profitable for third-parties to port next-gen games to it.

ryan-ts

BurntPork said:
It's easy to develop for, but it won't support next-gen engines and therefore will end up in a situation similar to the Wii. The next-gen consoles will be 4-6x as powerful as Wii U, so scaling engines down, while possible, will not be easy, and companies like Epic, Crytek, and id won't support their next-gen middleware on it. It would not be profitable for third-parties to port next-gen games to it.

How do you know the next system won't be able to run some version of those engines? You must be a witch with that sort of psychic capability! I think we need to burn you at the stake if thats the case.

Truth101

Banned
BurntPork said:

Smh, you have no idea what you are saying....

Burnt pork, you need to stop talking like your assumptions are fact, then attacking others for not believing the same. You're entitled to them, but the tone of your posts are aggressive. You are easily the worse thing about this thread.

Hiltz

walking fiend said:
so even vigil doesn't know whether it is a minor or major improvement compared to ps3/360?

They simply do not know yet. Vigil is still working on dev kits and doesn't know what the finalized hardware will be like. Heck, Vigil even said that the last version of the Wii U controller it had looked like a giant, clunky Gameboy! It's just too early for Vigil to say with any confidence how much it can get out of the hardware at this point.

StevieP

Banned
BurntPork said:

The Samaritan SCRIPTED CUTSCENE (UE3.9) runs on hardware that will be far FAR more powerful than whatever the PS4/720 will have inside. It will also not be able to be replicated during in-game conditions with even top-end PC hardware in the next half decade. Does that mean the PS4 and 720 won't get Epic's support and that they'll go back to being a PC-only dev house that will release their games when Maxwell comes out?

They simply do not know yet. Vigil is still working on dev kits and doesn't know what the finalized hardware will be like. Heck, Vigil even said that the last version of the Wii U controller it had looked like a giant, clunky Gameboy! It's just too early for Vigil to say with any confidence how much it can get out of the hardware at this point.
in the article, Eurogamer says that they can confirm developers have the second revision of the development kit, maybe Vigil hasn't really worked with that? I doubt Nintendo even give them the full specifications.
Burnt pork, you need to stop talking like your assumptions are fact, then attacking others for not believing the same. You're entitled to them, but the tone of your posts are aggressive. You are easily the worse thing about this thread.
with burnt pork and his super pessimistic posts, this thread doesn't need a troll.

as long as the engines are supported by the hardware which is almost always dependent on the directX (or equivalent APIs, techniques) they support, they will be ported.

it will be just like PC, you can't run the game on your pesky hardware? you reduce shadows, lighting, AA, etc.

Will didn't see ports because they have to redone everything, from online to assets to controls to update mechanism, I think the only things that didn't need to be changed were story and sounds.

Vinci

Danish
BurntPork said:

Seriously, you need to chill out. You are freaking out over phantoms in your mind. Nothing has happened yet, and we know now roughly the same things we knew from the start. This generation has been a huge clusterfuck for many folks in the industry. Trying to predict next-gen is impossible.

Relax.

Saint Gregory said:
It sounds more like they're talking about major or minor over the current dev kits.
makes sense, but again:

That's what we're planning on. But that's based off of what we believe the hardware's going to be like.

at any rate, they don't know what the hardware is going to be like, but probably the current hardware is not 'that ridiculously powerful'

---
anyhow, I don't really care that much, I am going to sell my Wii and buy Wii U the day console is released.

Antagon

BurntPork said:

Will companies even be really interested in next gen consoles if the Wii U is a decent succes? Unlike last time, the Wii U will be out before the consoles of Sony and Microsoft. Plus Crytek only recently released their current gen middleware and Id hasn't even done that. I'd imagine that they're happy with the Wii U and will add some support for it as it's far less of a risk then spend years on a new engine again.
Epic probably will release a new engine, but that'll probably scale down decently. It still has the same base.

MDX

walking fiend said:
in the article, Eurogamer says that they can confirm developers have the second revision of the development kit

But they didnt say Vigil had them, and Vigil said "We're still waiting on that final hardware and architecture,"

So even if they do have new dev kits, its not final.

Cygnus X-1

BurntPork said:
My point exactly.

Iwata knows the situation. It was even pointed out during the conference with investors. And to these people you have to give answers. Convincing answers you know.

I think that it is completely clear that sequels only will not be able to reproduce the same success DS had and for that reason I expect special games to be developed. Of course they're not announced, but I was recently puzzled by the fact that EAD's teams seems to not be so busy. Especially the team behind Wii Fit Plus. I suspect that some original IP is being developed having as objective the innovative use of the 3D effect. Of course it's speculation, but it's most likely going to happen, since it's a logical step.

Nintendo needs only one thing to completely succeed, after all shown. And that is, free amazing online system. All the things done in the past over this matter Nintendo has failed. And for the first time, they have somewhat an advantage over their "rivals", they know their online systems, and how they work. They've seen what works and what don't. They're even experimenting with the 3DS on this matter.

If that's done right, Nintendo (unarguably king of Local MP) could make a mess with their first party and all the third party that has already shown support (I frankly don't care about Crytek or Epic on consoles, for that matter). In fact amazing things happened this generation. Nintendo working with third parties to make official Nintendo's IPs? This was unheard of in previous generations. EA president going to Nintendo's Japan HQ to talk about a new system? Whhhhaaaaat? That's huge man. They're leaving that "I can do it alone" mentality to: "Let's do it people".

If this happens gentleman... graphics and rendering power won't matter at all. And for that matter, if we're talking something close to nowadays 360/PS3 graphics on launch? It's a huge start.

TheNatural

My Member!
THQ's Vigil Games isn't attempting to spruce up the visuals for Darksiders II on Wii U, but does believe the console is more powerful than the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360.

The studio's Jay Fitzloff told VideoGamer.com that the Wii U version is "the same" as the PS3 and Xbox 360 versions. "We're not trying to bump up or bump down," he said, "but we reached it, and it wasn't hard. Once we got it up and running it was like 'cool, there it is."

Speaking more about the power of the Wii U, Fitzloff added: "We're still waiting on that final hardware and architecture, and help from Nintendo to figure that out.

"Right now, it looks like it's more than the 360 or PlayStation 3, but there's still a question mark about how much you can squeeze out of it. You know how it is, a new system, tricks get learned as the lifespan goes along, so this is where we're starting, and it looks good."

Fitzloff was also adamant that work on the Wii U version will not have a negative impact on development of the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 versions.

"There was pressure originally as we only got the Wii U development kits about six weeks before E3 and wanted to get it up and running," explained Fitzloff. "Learning new hardware is the hardest part, it's uncharted territory. You have a problem with Xbox, you call up, and the answers online - it's all ready. Whereas this time, you call up after finding a problem, and they're like 'wow, we don't know, let us know if you find an answer!'

"It's not hurting the other platforms because to get Wii U running we need dedicated heads to think about how we're going use the Wii U platform to make the game cool."

http://www.videogamer.com/wiiu/dark...trying_to_bump_up_darksiders_ii_on_wii_u.html

I think that it is completely clear that sequels only will not be able to reproduce the same success DS had and for that reason I expect special games to be developed. Of course they're not announced, but I was recently puzzled by the fact that EAD's teams seems to not be so busy. Especially the team behind Wii Fit Plus. I suspect that some original IP is being developed having as objective the innovative use of the 3D effect. Of course it's speculation, but it's most likely going to happen, since it's a logical step.
I believe the problem is that 3DS isn't an inherently device compared to DS or smartphones on the market, so in terms of interface it won't be easy to come up with a game that hasn't been tried before, or a game that can only be played on DS. for several reasons, games that made the DS known to casual players, were strongly interface dependent, know you can find lots of them on either DS or smartphones, and even if they come up with something new, since it can be easily mimicked on other devices, people may buy the games on other devices.

Hiltz

DisenLedZep said:
Nintendo needs only one thing to completely succeed, after all shown. And that is, free amazing online system. All the things done in the past over this matter Nintendo has failed. And for the first time, they have somewhat an advantage over their "rivals", they know their online systems, and how they work. They've seen what works and what don't. They're even experimenting with the 3DS on this matter.

If that's done right, Nintendo (unarguably king of Local MP) could make a mess with their first party and all the third party that has already shown support (I frankly don't care about Crytek or Epic on consoles, for that matter). In fact amazing things happened this generation. Nintendo working with third parties to make official Nintendo's IPs? This was unheard of in previous generations. EA president going to Nintendo's Japan HQ to talk about a new system? Whhhhaaaaat? That's huge man. They're leaving that "I can do it alone" mentality to: "Let's do it people".

If this happens gentleman... graphics and rendering power won't matter at all. And for that matter, if we're talking something close to nowadays 360/PS3 graphics on launch? It's a huge start.

While having a free and impressive online service will definitely be a vital component to Wii U's success, I don't believe it will be the most important thing. The big thing is will third-parties actually be commercially successful on the Wii U ? Nintendo fans haven't exactly been big on realistic sports and racing games or heavy supports of FPS games let alone mature games. Resident Evil has sold less on GameCube and Wii then it has on PS2 and Xbox. Last-gen and current-gen mltiplatform games have a history of selling better on Sony and Microsoft's home consoles. Will Wii U gamers eat up genres like FPS near the same level that 360 and PS3 gamers do?

Nintendo's curse is has been that gamers only buy games on Nintendo platforms. Microsoft doesn't have this problem and neither does Sony. Third-parties are willing to publish games on Nintendo platforms, but their still fearful of competiting against Nintendo's own titles because of how loyal and picky Nintendo gamers can be.

Hiltz said:
While having a free and impressive online service will definitely be a vital component to Wii U's success, I don't believe it will be the most important thing. The big thing is will third-parties actually be commercially successful on the Wii U ? Nintendo fans haven't exactly been big on realistic sports and racing games or heavy supports of FPS games.
Last-gen and current-gen mltiplatform games have a history of selling better on Sony and Microsoft's home consoles. Will Wii U gamers eat up genres like FPS near the same level that 360 and PS3 gamers do?
what percentage of HD console owners don't own a Wii? and what percentage would have only owned Wii if got 3rd party support last gen? I think a good portion of even Wii only gamers are interested in 3rd party games, and a lot of those who are not Wii only gamer, would have preferred to play at least their fps shooters on Wii if it's graphical output and Online was as good as HD consoles. I believe lots of HD gamers last gen also owned a Wii and there won't be a reason for them not to play fps games on Wii U.

Vinci

Danish
Hiltz said:
Resident Evil has sold less on GameCube and Wii then it has on PS2 and Xbox.

RE4 is the only way to measure that. And if Capcom is right, the Gamecube version sold 1.6 million units while the PS2 sold over 2 million. Taking into account the size of each console's userbase, that's a pretty dramatic sign that the so-called 'Nintendo faithful' will buy a RE game. And that's ignoring how it did on the Wii.

If you're contrasting RE5 to RE:UC and RE:DC, then your entire argument is based on a drastically poor foundation.

Last-gen and current-gen mltiplatform games have a history of selling better on Sony and Microsoft's home consoles. Will Wii U gamers eat up genres like FPS near the same level that 360 and PS3 gamers do?

Are any good ones going to appear on the system and showcase equal advertising and effort?

Hiltz

walking fiend said:
what percentage of HD console owners don't own a Wii? and what percentage would have only owned Wii if got 3rd party support last gen? I think a good portion of even Wii only gamers are interested in 3rd party games, and a lot of those who are not Wii only gamer, would have preferred to play at least their fps shooters on Wii if it's graphical output and Online was as good as HD consoles. I believe lots of HD gamers last gen also owned a Wii and there won't be a reason for them not to play fps games on Wii U.

That's a good point and I do hope your right. I just believe that Nintendo gamers will continue to be the most picky when it comes to choosing third-party games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom