• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GSL - Global StarCraft II League August 2011 Thread

Mairu

http://www.gomtv.net/2011gslsponsors5/
TeamLiquid Wiki Page

*About:
GOMTV presents GSL August.

The new and improved GSL meets it second season.

The competition is getting tougher and tougher each season and only the strongest survives.

Skillful newcomers have joined the league by dominating the new and massive preliminaries. Will the new players take down the veterans who boast their battle wounds?

GSL August will run from August 8th to September 10th, 2011.

*Format:
Code S
  • Main Tournament
  • 32 Players compete for the Championship.
  • 8 Players will lose Code S status and enter the Up & Down Matches, where they might reclaim it.
Code A
  • 32 Players, 15 from the previous GSL, 13 new qualifiers and 4 foreigner seeds (from MLG Columbus and The Road to Korea).
  • Losers in the first Round will lose their Code A status.
  • The Winner of this tournament will receive Code S status for the next GSL.
  • Players who reach the Round of 8 (except for Code A winner) will enter the Up & Down Matches.
Up & Down Matches
  • 8 Code S Players and 7 Code A Players.
  • These 15 Players will be divided into 3 groups of 5.
  • 6 Players, first and second place from each group, will receive Code S status.

*Prize Pool (Approximately in USD):
ilByzS.png

*Map Pool:
Bel'Shir Beach
Crossfire SE
Dual Sight
Metalopolis
Tal'Darim Altar LE
Terminus SE
Xel'Naga Fortress
NEWAntiga Shipyard
NEWDaybreak

*Code S Players:
ijqVrE.jpg

*Code S Groups:
il7EhQ.jpg

*Code A Players:
From 2011 July Code A Ro16:
ubT0N.png
IMYoDa
ubT0N.png
LiquidJinro
wTHvX.png
MVPTAiLS
a0Blb.png
oGsLuvsic
a0Blb.png
CheckPrime.WE
a0Blb.png
SlayerS_YuGiOh

From the Code A Preliminary Qualifiers:
ubT0N.png
SlayerS_TaeJa
ubT0N.png
ZeNEXHack
ubT0N.png
MakaPrime.WE
ubT0N.png
FXOTheBest
ubT0N.png
SlayerS_GanZi
ubT0N.png
MaruPrime.WE
ubT0N.png
NsHS_Jjakji
ubT0N.png
SlayerS_BoxeR
wTHvX.png
TSL_JYP
wTHvX.png
ZeNEXTREME
a0Blb.png
MVPSniper
a0Blb.png
MVPDongRaeGu
a0Blb.png
FXOLucky

From MLG and Road to Korea Seeds:
ubT0N.png
mouzThorZaIN
ubT0N.png
FnaticFenix
wTHvX.png
dignitasNaNiwa
wTHvX.png
SaSe

From 2011 July Up & Down:
ubT0N.png
MVPDream
ubT0N.png
MarineKingPrime.WE
ubT0N.png
FXOsC
wTHvX.png
NsHS_Tassadar
wTHvX.png
anyproPrime.WE
wTHvX.png
oGsInCa
wTHvX.png
NsHS_Vanvanth
a0Blb.png
ST_FruitDealer
a0Blb.png
FXOLeenock

*Code A Brackets:

*Casters:
Code S casting by Artosis & Tasteless.
Code A & Up/Down Match casting by Wolf, Doa & Moletrap.

*Broadcast Schedule:
ijjDGK.jpg

*Streams:
GOMTV GSTL Live Link
Stream Specifications:
Free
SQ : Resolution: 512x288
Premium
SQ : 450Kbps(Video)+64Kbps(Audio) / Resolution: 640x360 / Minimum bandwidth required: 550Kbps
HQ : 900Kbps(Video)+128Kbps(Audio) / Resolution: 960x540 / Minimum bandwidth required:1000Kbps

Buy the Premium Service

Permanent access to all the match VODs provided in Global StarCraft II League Aug.
Additional access to services such as HQ Live Stream, Live Chat etc.
mescalineeyes said:
For all Mac users out there:

I did a quick write-up on reddit how to watch GSL live on Mac without having to use the actual GSL player.
Might also work on Windows as long as you are using Safari and have Quicktime installed.

http://www.reddit.com/r/starcraft/comments/j9q0w/how_to_watch_gsl_live_on_the_mac_without_gom/

hope this helps someone out there who, like me, can't get GOM Player to work on either Lion or SnowLeo.

*Extra:

NeoGAF GSTL Season 1 Thread

GSL Series Computer Specifications
GSL Tournament Rules

hamchan

I will actually watch Code A this season since it's so damn stacked and there's actually a good commentary team in Doa + Wolf.

Mairu

Wolf+QXC is a really entertaining caster duo but I am very pleased with how Wolf+Doa turned out after watching the qualifiers & yesterday's GSTL match

Code A is really fucking stacked this season.

bbyybb

CGI bullshit is the death knell of cinema
I am looking forward to this season. Code A and code S is getting more competitive. Also with the addition of the Swedish players in code A it will make things interesting.

I don't know if they go well but i hope they play well. Unfortunately I won't be able to watch these games live.

Code A stacked as hell

Boxer v Leenock first round

potential second round matches

Fruitdealer v Ganzi
Naniwa vs Sase
sC vs Taeja
Thorzain v MKP

I'm excite

Xyphie

Urgh, Shipyard is terrible, glad shitty Crevasse is out though.

Also, damn Code A, might actually bother with it this month.

Deadman said:
Sucks that sase and naniwa meet in ro16 so one one of them can go to up and down.

I'd say the mopre likely scenario is that most of the foreigners get knocked out first week. I know they're decent players but i don't have nearly as much confidence as some posters on here.

Really hope they do though.

jorma

is now taking requests
Deadman said:
Sucks that sase and naniwa meet in ro16 so one one of them can go to up and down.

good thing is that all of them except maybe fenix has good chances to stay in code a, and there is a good chance that there will be at least two foreigners in the up&down matches. The draw could be a LOT worse from a foreigner perspective =)

Home

Not a fan of moletrap? Doa can't stay in Korea forever he has a wife back home.

I'm going to cheer for all the foreigners + boxer, but I really hope Jinro makes it back to up and downs.

Durante

I felt like Moletrap got better at giving Wolf time to cast towards the end of the Wolftrap period.

Doa is just boring, which may be excusable if he was very knowledgeable about the game, but he is not.

Mairu

My one problem with Moletrap is he doesn't have any chemistry with any of the co-casters. He doesn't really play well with either Doa or Wolf. His game knowledge is probably about the same or worse than Doa, though one benefit he does bring is that he usually seems to do a lot of research about the players and has a lot of knowledge about the players if they have any history in Brood War.

Q8D3vil

not surprised since no member of fxo made it to code a and they are leaving/already left korera right now and i'm sure he rather be in that crazy party house instead of gsl right now.

too bad moletrap is back :(

Quadratic

My Liquidbets are all on the Swedes. Don't let me down boys!. Boxer VS Leenock... man, I wish they both could advance. But thems the breaks.

Can't wait! Been out of the starcraft loop for a while now, just jumping back in recently. Seems like there's been a lot of changes in my absence. i heard a crazy rumor that the game is balanced now? time flies.

Paches

Pass bought and thread subbed. More excited for Code A this time around due to Boxer and some foreigners getting in the mix!

Mairu

eek5 said:
Wolf really won me over during his lone wolf stint. I'm glad hes staying but I wish they could find him a better co-caster :(
Doa+Wolf is good, they actually mesh really well together since they both use the same kind of humor and play pretty well off each other. Doa's game knowledge is pretty lacking, but I'm sure it'll get better as he continues to cast in Korea.

Moletrap doesn't really cast well with either of them and I'm not looking forward to awkward transitions every time someone makes a joke that Moletrap does not understand nor am I looking forward to Moletrap's bad calls during the majority of games he cast. I really hope they avoid having Moletrap+Doa cast together unless they plan on having Moletrap/Doa/Wolf all cast together at the same time (like how the Korean casts all have three casters)

Zzoram

StopMakingSense said:
Gom really needs to add a yearly subscription.

A $99/year with ads subscription to GSL would be nice, $99/year for GSTL, and maybe even more of a discount for both together, $179 or something.

Zzoram

Felix Lighter said:
How are the ads? I usually go with the ad free but $10 is $10.

I honestly don't know. I usually just develop horrible sleep patterns watching for free lol. Free doesn't seem to have ads, maybe it's just between VODs?

The breaks between games on the free stream just have the camera point at nothing. Commercials would probably be better than seeing nothing, lol.

Zzoram

Felix Lighter said:
I really can't watch the live stream so it's vods or nothing for me.

Once life gets busier for me and I can't watch live anymore I intend to buy the cheap ticket with ads.

What ever happened to that slogan contest? I sent in an entry and I was under the impression that anyone who participated should have at least gotten a premium pass for August and I've yet to get mine. Did anything happen to that contest that I wasn't aware about?

Top Bottom