• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. 22nm+28nm, Tri-Gate, and reading the OP. [Part 1]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an 8800GTS now, I'm way overdue for an upgrade, is it worth it now to pick up a 560ti/6950? Or I am better off waiting until Nvidia announces their new flagship cards?

knitoe

*cross-posting this from the skyrim performance thread*

so over the weekend i overclocked my i2500k to 4.2 using AI Suite II's "level up" auto tuning thing.

everything went fine but my frame rate in skyrim dropped a good 7-10fps indoors/cities and 10-12 outdoors. i read a thread online that said this could have meant an unstable overclock as a result of power. i've got a 700W psu and the following:

i2500k w/ 212 Hypercooler HSF
GTX 550 Ti
8gb RAM
128gb SSD
Optical drive
4 case fans

is power my issue? forgive my ignorance, pretty new to the whole OC'ing thing.

Could be overheating issue. Run HWmonitor, Prime95 and post screenshot of HWmonitor.

I keep getting a BSOD because volmgrx.sys keeps sporadically crashing. I've tried a Windows repair which seemed to help for a while but it came back the other day. Any thoughts PC GAF?

Googling says it could be a virus and/or malware. Run a few anti-virus and spyware removal programs.

Keikaku

I'm going to turn off this machine one last time tomorrow before revitalizing it with the new mobo, CPU, CPU cooler and RAM.

I haven't built my own PC in a couple of years so I'll have my laptop next to me for maximum tutorial video access >.<

1-D_FTW

So I am looking to build my first PC. First time trying to find the best build, used the build list as a help.

Graphics card: GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 448 Cores
Sound Card: ASUS XONAR DG 5.1
Power supply: Antec BP550 Plus 550W
Motherboard: ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3
Processor: Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz
RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB)
DVD Burner: ASUS 24X DVD Burner
Hard Drive: SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB
Monitor: ASUS VW246H Glossy Black 24"

Is this a pretty good build? I'm not sure how that graphics card is for the price.

I have that monitor. If you want good settings, and white whites, here's what I use:

Gaming Mode

Brightness - 12
Contrast - 80
ASCR - OFF
Sharpness - 50
Saturation - 50

Color Temp - User

Red - 95
Green - 89
Blue - 89

Skin Tone - Natural

1-D_FTW

1 x ($127.99) Intel Core i3-2120 Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz LGA 1155 65W Dual-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 2000 BX80623I32120
$127.99

1 x ($121.99) ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
$121.99

1 x ($49.99) G.SKILL Sniper Low Voltage Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBSR2

Caved and just ordered this. With a 50 dollar coupon code, total came to 257.84 after shipping.

Here's the slickdeals thread telling you how to do it:

http://slickdeals.net/f/3987702-New...a-Also-works-on-SSD-Crucial-m4-256gb-for-245?

Once I know my order actually goes through, off to sell my Q9400 on ebay. Only will cost me about 100 dollars to do this upgrade and my current motherboard scares me. I don't want it taking out the rest.

I guess instead of seeing how fast I can make it, I'll see how energy efficient I can make it. I know that CPU will be able to undervolt since it's not getting overclocked.

Chony

Bit the bullet and dropped a grand (including windows). I'm a bit nervous as it's been eight years since I last built a system. Pics and info in the next week even it all arrives!

scogoth

Decided to go 3 SSDs in raid 0 but having some issues. Acronis fucked up my backup so one sector is unreadable so I'm trying to reinstall windows instead. Everytime it gets stuck at the completing windows stage. Using the intel built in raid on ICH10R, two vertex 3s and one vertex 2 all 240gb. Any suggestions or ideas?

scitek

I have a 6950 with the hacked bios trick. I just realized, when I get my new mobo/CPU today, and reformat and everything, I'm going to have to do it over again.

mkenyon

Banned
Decided to go 3 SSDs in raid 0 but having some issues. Acronis fucked up my backup so one sector is unreadable so I'm trying to reinstall windows instead. Everytime it gets stuck at the completing windows stage. Using the intel built in raid on ICH10R, two vertex 3s and one vertex 2 all 240gb. Any suggestions or ideas?
Trying a RAID0 array where one of the drives has a completely different controller seems like a really bad idea. That's my idea.

@ everyone else

Newegg has recertified 580s for $399.

dsk1210

Bit the bullet and dropped a grand (including windows). I'm a bit nervous as it's been eight years since I last built a system. Pics and info in the next week even it all arrives!

If you built systems eight years ago, you should have no problem, it's less of a mind fuck nowadays.

:)

scitek

I got everything hooked up, then realized I was still using an old piece of shit IDE DVD drive and need to pick up a SATA before installing the OS. :\ Anyway, I've booted it up just to make sure everything works, and it tells me "CPU Fan Error!" then cues me to go into the BIOS. The CPU fan is spinning, so is there really something wrong?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I got everything hooked up, then realized I was still using an old piece of shit IDE DVD drive and need to pick up a SATA before installing the OS. :\ Anyway, I've booted it up just to make sure everything works, and it tells me "CPU Fan Error!" then cues me to go into the BIOS. The CPU fan is spinning, so is there really something wrong?
Attach it to the fan header marked CPU_FAN and not SYS_FAN

mkenyon

Banned
Don't see why it would matter, all 240GB and all on SATAII. Regardless I tried with just the two vertex 3s and same thing....
That's similar to saying "I plugged a 5400RPM cav green with two samsung F3's on a SATAII controller".

Bummer you're still having issues though. Try installing on each SSD to find out which one might be causing issues. If no issues crop up then, it's probably RAID related rather than a hardware issue. Could also completely clear out each SSD.

psykomyko

So I am looking to build my first PC. First time trying to find the best build, used the build list as a help.

Graphics card: EVGA GeForce GTX 580 (Fermi) 1536MB
Sound Card: ASUS XONAR DG 5.1
Power supply: Antec BP550 Plus 550W
Motherboard: ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3
Processor: Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz
RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB)
DVD Burner: ASUS 24X DVD Burner
Hard Drive: SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB
Monitor: ASUS VW246H Glossy Black 24"

So I updated my graphics card, got the 580 instead of the 570 that I had on there before. Is this a good build? I won't be putting in the order for a week or couple, want to make sure this is a good build before spending the money.

scogoth

That's similar to saying "I plugged a 5400RPM cav green with two samsung F3's on a SATAII controller".

Bummer you're still having issues though. Try installing on each SSD to find out which one might be causing issues. If no issues crop up then, it's probably RAID related rather than a hardware issue. Could also completely clear out each SSD.

Yeah both SSDs are fine out of raid but in raid no luck..... I gave up went back to individual drives till I can get an lsi controller

mug

So I updated my graphics card, got the 580 instead of the 570 that I had on there before. Is this a good build? I won't be putting in the order for a week or couple, want to make sure this is a good build before spending the money.

I'd recommend a better power supply.

mkenyon

Banned
Yeah both SSDs are fine out of raid but in raid no luck..... I gave up went back to individual drives till I can get an lsi controller

Could try doing OS on one, then having Windows handle the RAID0 array on the other two. It works surprisingly well, and you can even transfer them to another windows build without any issues.

1-D_FTW

Awesome. Thanks. Figures I didn't think about my ancient DVD drive. I was lucky my last motherboard had it's single IDE port.

Fuck me. I didn't even look at that. Just assumed they did. Could have gotten a combo package with my processor for an additional 5 bucks. I didn't even look, because DVDs have become so useless, I didn't feel any need to upgrade the stupid thing with a combo pack.

EDIT: :( So that's not shipping out till Monday. I guess the build will be delayed a day or two.

AkIRA_22

Here's the RS240 kit installed in my Arc Mini. (Shameless showoff and self plug pic)
4LOIGl.jpg

I am putting a 360 rad in the roof of may ARC mid. I'm going to mod the top a little and take out the 5.25" bays. going to run my CPU and 7970.

TGMIII

Gaf am I crazy for wanting to sell my current build (2500K,6950,8GBRam) to put towards an i7-3820/Kepler build.

I already know the answer : (

EDIT: when are kepler cards expected, Q2/3?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Wait a few weeks. 7950/7970 is a better buy, but the 670Ti is what you should wait on.

mkenyon

Banned
Gaf am I crazy for wanting to sell my current build (2500K,6950,8GBRam) to put towards an i7-3820/Kepler build.

I already know the answer : (

EDIT: when are kepler cards expected, Q2/3?
Need the HT for encoding?

Wish I would have gone 2600K in retrospect. Started encoding a *ton* as of late. The GPU's help quite a bit, but still.

Ettie

Ugh. Built the mother-in-law machine I posted about awhile back. Everything is awesome, except the PSU has awful coil whine. I can hear it in the next room.

Cost to ship back for RMA is $16, if I want to get a refund and go with a different product, loss goes up to $23.

This is an Antec Neo Eco 400C from Newegg.

I don't suppose anyone has the magic cure for coil whine?

TGMIII

Need the HT for encoding?

Wish I would have gone 2600K in retrospect. Started encoding a *ton* as of late. The GPU's help quite a bit, but still.

HQ streaming/recording so yeah it would be nice, I wouldn't mind the raw power too and I'm just a whore for new parts. I'm on the same boat with the 2600K, I REALLY wish I had have gone with it over the 2500K.

MBison

Admittedly I'm not that smart about PC hardware. I have a i7-860 with a radeon 5850 in it. Im looking to upgrade the video card to boost performance a little and looking at the GeForce 560ti. Should I see significant improvement? I read things about not wanting the CPU to bottleneck the video card speed. Again I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to this stuff. Any advice (or further questions needed) would be most helpful. Thanks very much in advance.

Wait a few weeks. 7950/7970 is a better buy, but the 670Ti is what you should wait on.

That's what I'm waiting for. It's hard when you have money ready to spend, every deal on a TV, console, or any electronic looks too good to pass up.

Been since 2004 for me as well, I got HL2 and Rome Total War with it and ended up playing Arcanum.

psykomyko

Less than a 570 for better than 570 performance. Rest is speculation.

Is the 670Ti better then a 580?

I am not really trying to build the ultimate beast of a computer. I just want a PC that can run games at high or better for the next couple years so I don't have to keep upgrading every year. I am not really a hardcore gaming guy, I am mostly gonna use it for video editing, but I still would want a really good gaming machine.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Is the 670Ti better then a 580?

I am not really trying to build the ultimate beast of a computer. I just want a PC that can run games at high or better for the next couple years so I don't have to keep upgrading every year. I am not really a hardcore gaming guy, I am mostly gonna use it for video editing, but I still would want a really good gaming machine.
Should be faster than a 570 which should be good enough.

MBison

Admittedly I'm not that smart about PC hardware. I have a i7-860 with a radeon 5850 in it. Im looking to upgrade the video card to boost performance a little and looking at the GeForce 560ti. Should I see significant improvement? I read things about not wanting the CPU to bottleneck the video card speed. Again I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to this stuff. Any advice (or further questions needed) would be most helpful. Thanks very much in advance.

No, I mean with my above post ^^ :) I can buy something now or I could wait if it is wiser.

DarkFlow

Banned
No, I mean with my above post ^^ :) I can buy something now or I could wait if it is wiser.

A 5850 is still pretty good, they are a tad bit better then the 6000 series. If you want to drop 600 bucks you can jump to the 7950. Other then that I would wait for the 7800's.

I have a 600watt GS from Corsair and it is almost silent. Send it back. It sounds like a bearing has a flat spot or the fan is hitting something.

I ended up replacing it with another TX850 V2 and the new one is, similar to yours, almost completely silent. Thanks!

Also, while I couldn't figure out exactly what the problem was between the 3TB drive and Windows Backup I no longer need to know because I finally got RAID1 set up between the two 3TB drives. Because I had installed Windows 7 to my SSD in AHCI mode before I received the two 3TB drives when I tried to switch to RAID in the BIOS I'd get a blue screen then Windows wouldn't boot. The solution was RAIDFix, which automatically fixed updated the registry and allowed me to switch to RAID in the BIOS without having to reinstall Windows.

Now I have a 3TB RAID1 and my 1TB external drive serving as the backup location for files from the 3TB drive through Windows Backup (at least until I fill it). Between RAID1 and the external backup drive I feel safe enough (or at least as safe as I'm going to bother being).

And with that my build is fully up and running (sans GTX 670 Ti). Tomorrow I'll post pics and detail my final specs.

Isaccard

We should get some monitor recommendations (for gaming of course) thrown around for the OP. I have no clue where to start looking.

cilonen

The Asus 120Hz VG278H is great too if you're in Europe. The initial batches for North America had some nasty backlight bleeding right in the centre of the screen then they disappeared from retailers - probably Asus fixing the issue.

As a small aside; I'm thinking Corsair 850AX for my psu, I'm not going to be SLI / Crossfire in this build - but am thinking of overclocking a 2600k to 4.6 - 4.8GHz. Is the psu going to be OK with this?

Edit: sorry, should have said I'll be going 7970 for my graphics card. Probably the XFX Black (without the dual fans).

TheExodu5

Banned
As far as cheap 60Hz TN panels go, I still recommend the ASUS VW246H. Basic TN panel, but very fast response, and acceptable blacks/colors/backlight bleed for a cheap monitor. Much nicer than Acers and Samsungs in its price range.

My rule of thumb is to still stay away from LED if possible. Non-LED monitors are a bit thicker and take a bit more power, but the backlighting is much better and results in better static contrast and black levels. Don't believe the "Dynamic Contrast Ratio" numbers. LED might have much higher dynamic contrast than non-LED monitors, but that means nothing. Static contrast is what matters, and sadly, that number is rarely advertised anymore. LED monitors can be good, but more often than not they're a fair bit worse than their non-LED counterparts.

The Asus 120Hz VG278H is great too if you're in Europe. The initial batches for North America had some nasty backlight bleeding right in the centre of the screen then they disappeared from retailers - probably Asus fixing the issue.

As a small aside; I'm thinking Corsair 850AX for my psu, I'm not going to be SLI / Crossfire in this build - but am thinking of overclocking a 2600k to 4.6 - 4.8GHz. Is the psu going to be OK with this?

Edit: sorry, should have said I'll be going 7970 for my graphics card. Probably the XFX Black (without the dual fans).

The AX850 is overkill for a non-SLI build. Go with it if you want that extra headroom and piece of mind, but be aware you can easily drop it to a 750 or 650W PSU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom