• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Move Ships 10.5 Million Units

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
It seems that Sony has finally given an update on how much Move has sold.

IGN said:
This afternoon, Sony held a GDC panel focusing entirely on its PlayStation Move motion peripheral. During the panel, Tommy de Roos of Guerilla Games and Peter Akemann of The Workshop talked at length about their experiences working with Move during the development of Killzone 3 and Sorcery, respectively. Look for more on those discussions tomorrow on IGN.

But at the beginning of the panel, Sony's Gabe Ahn revealed new PlayStation Move sales data. 10.5 million units have been shipped to retailers so far. With Sony's insistence on using shipped numbers in lieu of sold-to-consumer numbers, we did verify with Mr. Ahn after the panel to verify that his numbers were shipped and not sold. We also verified that the numbers include both PlayStation Move controllers and Navigation Controllers combined.
Source: http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/122/1220282p1.html

Carl

We also verified that the numbers include both PlayStation Move controllers and Navigation Controllers combined.

lol.

Also, why does everyone say "Sony always tries to pass off shipped numbers as sold" - don't Ninty and MS usually use shipped numbers too?

Grinchy

Banned
Sony should have made a motion device that barely functions as intended if they wanted it to be successful.

We also verified that the numbers include both PlayStation Move controllers and Navigation Controllers combined.
Makes judging the viability of a potential Move-exclusive seem pretty much impossible, though low sales charting of all Move-exclusive retail releases not bundled tell the tale. From 8.8 million reported in June of 2011 to 10.5 million February 2012? Super slow uptake now.

EagleEyes

Considering that figure includes the navigation controller, those numbers are not good at all. I wonder how many customers actually have Move.

My local best buy has about 200 move controllers on the back wall, they all have the production markings/code from the first batch produced.

Reallink

Considering that figure includes the navigation controller, those numbers are not good at all. I wonder how many customers actually have Move.

It would suggest unique move owners (accounting for duplicates and nav) is probably 5 or 6 million at best. Nav probably sold to ~20% of unique owners while another 20-30% are likely MP duplicates. Really a shame, cause Move is objectively superior to Kinect from a purely gaming perspective. Killzone, Festival of Blood, and the rail shooters (e.g. House of the Deads) are MUCH better games with Move. If "Cores" could just got past their irrational hate of "waggle" and spend more than 10 minutes with a poorly calibrated set up before declaring "this sucks", Move could have been something special.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
I'm more interested in listening to the panel. Hopefully IGN has a transcript or a video of the whole thing.

The excellent LittleBigPlanet Move DLC pack finally made the purchase feel at least somewhat worthwhile, but I really wish we'd get more PSN games based around the Move. Surprised there hasn't been more of that.

If "Cores" could just got past their irrational hate of "waggle" and spend more than 10 minutes with a poorly calibrated set up before declaring "this sucks", Move could have been something special.

I don't think that this is the reason for Move failing to take off at all. It's all about Sony not doing a better job of putting it together in the first place, not putting a lot more money behind exclusive games meant to showcase its value to players, and failing to encourage their third party partners to support it better than committing old game ports. The whole thing has seemed so ridiculously scattershot since the beginning. Blaming the customer for not buying is absurd. They're not the ones asking for the other's time and money, after all.

U2NUMB

I guess I counted as 4 of those at one point with 2 controllers and 2 navigation things.

After not using it for months I sold them. Only bought 2 games for it. Cool tech just not something I wanted to get into I guess.

jman2050

I don't think that this is the reason for Move failing to take off at all. It's all about Sony not doing a better job of putting it together in the first place, not putting a lot more money behind exclusive games meant to showcase its value to players, and failing to encourage their third party partners to support it better than committing old game ports. The whole thing has seemed so ridiculously scattershot since the beginning. Blaming the customer for not buying is absurd. They're not the ones asking for the other's time and money, after all.

The problem was that in both concept and marketing presence Sony tried to ape their far more successful and long-standing counterpart rather than try to build an audience on their own terms. Microsoft did a decent job going in their own direction all things considered.

Koren

Really a shame, cause Move is objectively superior to Kinect from a purely gaming perspective. Killzone, Festival of Blood, and the rail shooters (e.g. House of the Deads) are MUCH better games with Move. If "Cores" could just got past their irrational hate of "waggle" and spend more than 10 minutes with a poorly calibrated set up before declaring "this sucks", Move could have been something special.
I agree that It's a nice tech, superior to Kinect for me (can't say "objectively", there're different technology that have advantages and drawbacks, but I think that Move produce far less errors and the fact it has buttons change a lot). I'm truly disappointed to see it sinking like that, but that's not surprising, it never got any support (a couple of games for Move and a couple of "alternate controls" won't support such a device).

That being said, I think Move is a great technology for motion tracking, but I still think that pointing functions (which gives great games) are a bit better/precise with a direct computation with a camera in the wand, wiimote-style. I would have loved to see a Wiimote plus with a magnetometer and a color ball in standard somewhere next gen, best from both worlds ;)

boingball

It would suggest unique move owners (accounting for duplicates and nav) is probably 5 or 6 million at best. Nav probably sold to ~20% of unique owners while another 20-30% are likely MP duplicates. Really a shame, cause Move is objectively superior to Kinect from a purely gaming perspective. Killzone, Festival of Blood, and the rail shooters (e.g. House of the Deads) are MUCH better games with Move. If "Cores" could just got past their irrational hate of "waggle" and spend more than 10 minutes with a poorly calibrated set up before declaring "this sucks", Move could have been something special.

I believe that is Sony's failure. They are to technology focused. They have the best motion device (from a technological perspective) but they don't back it up. Nintendo built their console around an inferior version and the casuals flocked to it. Microsoft copied the Eyetoy and marketed the heck out of it. Makes "core" gamers laugh, but those are not the market anyway (and they don't buy Move either).

Sony never really invested in big exclusives for the thing, and core gamers are never going to heavily adopt motion controls for skill-based gaming. That market is already addressed by the mouse/kb. As long as the experience was entirely optional, gamers always have the option of saving $50-$100.

Similarly, Kinect isn't going to sell big numbers with a heavy push for Mass Effect voice controls and Ghost Recon gun lobbies. Dance Central, Your Shape Fitness, Child of Eden, Fruit Ninja, Crimson Dragon, Kinect Sports, those are the experiences that will sell people on the device.

vazel

Banned
I really love my Move. It's incredibly fun and accurate for shooters assuming you didn't bungle the calibration process. It's a shame it doesn't get more support from core games.

Oni Jazar

Move must have made Sony some cash. I'm sure those peripherals had a nice profit margin. Maybe not Wii or Kinect numbers but it's better to ride the wave then to miss it entirely.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
I believe that is Sony's failure. They are to technology focused. They have the best motion device (from a technological perspective) but they don't back it up. Nintendo built their console around an inferior version and the casuals flocked to it. Microsoft copied the Eyetoy and marketed the heck out of it. Makes "core" gamers laugh, but those are not the market anyway (and they don't buy Move either).

Agree 100%

I owned a Move for exactly 3 days. And then shipped it all back to Amazon. Wasn't impressed in the slightest. But hey, I probably count 3 amongst the 10.5 million since I bought 2 dildo wands and one tiny clitoral stimulator thingy.

Bebpo

Banned
Sony doesn't spend enough money on marketing things. Maybe because they can't, maybe because they won't. They spend so much money r&d-ing hardware and the they just throw it out there and wonder why it fails.

If Sony wanted to be doing better all they would need is to spend money.

Does Sony even support this anymore? Any new games utilizing it?

Somewhat, Sorcery is coming out next:
6809837708_308464eedd.jpg

But i would like to see more inFamous 2/Resistance 3 type integration to action adventure/FPS games.

codhand

They have the best motion device (from a technological perspective) but they don't back it up. Nintendo built their console around an inferior version

This makes it sound like they both released at the same time or something.

JWong

Banned
My favorite thing is that the Move has such a stigma, that when you asked the Naughty Dog guys in that interview if they would incorporate move support for aiming - they acted like you dropped a nuclear bomb on them.

Well it's better than forcing their studios to make Move games in which they will eventually leave Sony because of such dick move.

Loofy

Last chance sony has with motion control is if the PS4 uses the same wands. But I got a feeling sony will doing something stupid like release Move2 controllers and force everyone to buy new wands.

Well it's better than forcing their studios to make Move games in which they will eventually leave Sony because of such dick move.

Yes, all of the Naughty Dog guys would have surely left if they would have had to swap the right stick with wrist aiming as an option in Uncharted 3. What a nightmare that intense workload would have been.

Farmboy12

Neo Member
I wanted to like the Move but it forced me to recalibrate every 30 minutes or so depending on the game. Takes you out of the experience.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
My favorite thing is that the Move has such a stigma that when you asked the Naughty Dog guys in that interview if they would incorporate move support for aiming - they acted like you dropped a nuclear bomb on them.

That's because when they think Move they think adding waggling.

My following question to Balestra was supposed to investigate that. When I asked "But when you think about..." and he interrupts by saying "We aren't thinking about it" or something. I was actually trying to ask "When you think about Move, do you think about it as just a waggling device or do you see the potential past the waggling?"

It seems to me some devs feel the need to come up with solutions tailored to the Move to make it worthy, but to me it's not necessary at all. Especially in a game involving some shooting mechanics. See inFamous 2: aiming / controlling the camera with the Move is just amazing enough to justify the implementation. No need to think about adding waggling stuff.

JWong

Banned
Yes, all of the Naughty Dog guys would have surely left if they would have had to swap the right stick with wrist aiming as an option in Uncharted 3. What a nightmare that intense workload would have been.

Oh, is this another one of those "I don't know how to do it, but I know it's easy"?

Charles

Still waiting for a move killer app actually. I've got a camera already, so I just need that 'must have' game.

KageMaru

10.5 is a great number IMO, wouldn't be surprised if sony made some decent money on the peripheral.

lol.

Also, why does everyone say "Sony always tries to pass off shipped numbers as sold" - don't Ninty and MS usually use shipped numbers too?

Everyone uses shipped numbers unless specifically stated otherwise 99.9% of the time.

I think Sony has the best motion device from a gameplay perspective but I think most would consider MS' tech to be more "advanced". Kinect is not just a copy of the eyetoy.

Farmboy12

Neo Member
I think Sony has the best motion device from a gameplay perspective but I think most would consider MS' tech to be more "advanced". Kinect is not just a copy of the eyetoy.

I actually prefer the standard Wii controller to anything else. You dont have to worry about drift and it didnt require constant recalibration.

Top Bottom