• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Move Ships 10.5 Million Units

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Oh, is this another one of those "I don't know how to do it, but I know it's easy"?

I know it's not easy, but when I see small developers adding exactly that to their games I do wonder how hard it really is.

Also, it's not like there is no framework to work with. I mean, you don't need to start from scratch.

Oh, is this another one of those "I don't know how to do it, but I know it's easy"?

Given that other devs have done it in short time periods (also given that this information on how they did it - including source code - is freely available to ND as well) it would be fairly easy for them to incorporate it. Maybe the testing/cert for it they don't believe is worth it but the actual incorporation would be easy.

I have not tried move.me but I assume the move has APIs that just give straight up X/Y/Z axis information that can be easily used for camera movement. As for the rest of the controller (the buttons) - unless their code is horrendous mapping to the move buttons should be trivial (like 5 minutes trivial - I made code before that does keyboard/controller simultaneous mapping easy in an extremely short time).

Reallink

I know it's not easy, but when I see small developers adding exactly that to their games I do wonder how hard it really is.

Also, it's not like there is no framework to work with. I mean, you don't need to start from scratch.

Exactly. I mean if the Hydrophobia developer managed to add a semi competent implementation, ND sure as shit could without batting an eye. More than anything, I think ND didn't want to deal with the Multiplayer playing field bitching as it seems like they had these delusions that UC3 MP was going to be as big as CoD, and they didn't want to do anything to muddy the waters, fracture the player base, or draw any kind of community ire.

Aside from the PR part of it, combining these numbers makes it hard for third party devs to see the real support of it and who actually has a Move in their homes when thinking of making a game for the system. Using straight numbers along with the Kinect, one Kinect sold means one potential customer but one Move wand sold doesn't mean each potential Move customer.

The thing that would have sold me on the Move was a Hot Shots Golf patch but SCEA was so stupid, they never released it in the States.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
The thing that would have sold me on the Move was a Hot Shots Golf patch but SCEA was so stupid, they never released it in the States.

Wait, wait, wait.. Back the fuck up. There was a Move patch for HSG? Do you know if it was released in Europe?

Edit: it was! *mind blown* I need to buy HSG then.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Given that other devs have done it in short time periods (also given that this information on how they did it - including source code - is freely available to ND as well) it would be fairly easy for them to incorporate it. Maybe the testing/cert for it they don't believe is worth it but the actual incorporation would be easy.

I have not tried move.me but I assume the move has APIs that just give straight up X/Y/Z axis information that can be easily used for camera movement. As for the rest of the controller (the buttons) - unless their code is horrendous mapping to the move buttons should be trivial (like 5 minutes trivial - I made code before that does keyboard/controller mapping easy in an extremely short time).

I think the difficult part is not so much to get the data across, but to design the whole camera control interface, cursor behavior etc. But then again, there are plenty of examples out there of very well designed interfaces, so much of the "thinking" has already been done.

Moreover I suppose those 3rd party tools out there do come with their own templates with regards to FPS/TPS camera for you to quickly start fiddling with. Albeit they are mostly based on the Wii tech. I do really want to see a shooter adopting the fixed reticule solution of PlayStation Move Heroes. It drives me crazy it hasn't been replicated yet despite being actually the easiest to implement cos it doesn't need any sort of (almost) reworking of the camera systems (no bounding box, no cursor projection issues etc).

Wait, wait, wait.. Back the fuck up. There was a Move patch for HSG? Do you know if it was released in Europe?

Yep.

I believe that is Sony's failure. They are to technology focused. They have the best motion device (from a technological perspective) but they don't back it up. Nintendo built their console around an inferior version and the casuals flocked to it. Microsoft copied the Eyetoy and marketed the heck out of it. Makes "core" gamers laugh, but those are not the market anyway (and they don't buy Move either).
The same happens to their first party games; great quality but they fail to capitalize on it in most cases. Meanwhile Nintendo and Microsoft can make even so-so games have big sales.

RiverBed

Banned
lol.

Also, why does everyone say "Sony always tries to pass off shipped numbers as sold" - don't Ninty and MS usually use shipped numbers too?

I thought Sony changed their policy and now the company never mentions shipped numbers but sold numbers only. It was kind of a corporation deal when they entered this international corp club, or something.

Sagitario

I bought one (+ a navigation controller) for Resident Evil 5 Gold Edition.

I don't regret it one bit. More games need pointer controls <3

Shipped isn't sold and Sony haven't supported Move like MS has aggressively done with Kinect.
I think Kinect is a heap of shite, but at least it's got a steady stream of games for it and a few killer apps. Move lacks both of those.

Luckily there's 3 ports of excellent Wii light gun games to keep me happy (HOTD:OK, HOTD3, DS:E) and to keep my Move in use, plus the prospect of HOTD4 soon....
...but that's not gonna keep the people Sony thought would buy Move happy.

My biggest gripe with Move was how Capcom failed to make RE5:Gold play like RE4:Wii. How the heck did they mess up the controls when they should have been the exact same?

botty

Banned
Wow. The gulf between perception and reality is staggering indeed.

Go read the thread title again.

I read the title, and I still don't have an answer to my question. The PsPgo didn't live up to the expectations of Sony and, I believe, is no longer being sold. Now, the PS move does not push hardware or software sales, and if it isn't selling money is being lost.

Does anyone know which has caused more of a loss for Sony?

Shtof

Move is pretty good, its just that people aren't interested in it because it's a Wii rip-off. Its an extremely tough sell to the hardcore gamers who loathe the Wii(alot of them).

...we did verify with Mr. Ahn after the panel to verify that his numbers were shipped and not sold. We also verified that the numbers include both PlayStation Move controllers and Navigation Controllers combined.
#gamechanger

Just goes to show how Sony are diverting resources these days. Their management really seems clueless at times.

Sony should have made a motion device that barely functions as intended if they wanted it to be successful.
Should've made something that brings something new to the table this gen if they wanted it to be successful.

Sony doesn't spend enough money on marketing things. Maybe because they can't, maybe because they won't. They spend so much money r&d-ing hardware and the they just throw it out there and wonder why it fails.

If Sony wanted to be doing better all they would need is to spend money.
PSV ads were all over the place here in Germany. Also I do remember move specific ads from back in the days. But why throw good money after bad? Maybe if they made support mandatory it could've seen at least some minor success. Lack of interest from all sides just killed this thing swiftly.

The same happens to their first party games; great quality but they fail to capitalize on it in most cases. Meanwhile Nintendo and Microsoft can make even so-so games have big sales.
Lulz.

Wow. The gulf between perception and reality is staggering indeed.

Go read the thread title again.
You consider that success? Both are dead in the water. But the PSPGo surely was the bigger fail.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Still doesn't have a must-have game. All it has are awful kids games and Wii rip-offs. The technology is good but the support from Sony was beyond terrible, there is nothing software-wise to distinguish this device from the Wii.

Top Bottom