• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lyte Edge is SS Tenka out in the US yet?

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
If not, why the **** not?

Impressions of the game? Loading times? Animation? Possible 360 release? Link to order the import? Where U at dawg?

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Because Sony doesn't approve of single 2D fighting game releases, remember?

This game came out on PS2 back in January. Where were YOU, Isamu? :lol

PA.43167.001.jpg

Samurai Spirits Tenkaichi Kenkakuden. You can of course get it from all the usual places, like NCSX and Play-Asia.

Brief game info:

sstselect5cc.jpg

The game has a HUGE roster, featuring every character from all the 2D Samurai Spirits fighting games. Characters not seen in playable form since SS2, like Gen-An, Sieger, Nicotine, and Wan-Fu are all back. SNK also added bonus unlockable characters to the PS2 version, such as Kuruko. Even the courier has returned, running across he backgrounds, tossing out various items to use. You can select whether or not you want to use these items in versus mode.

sststyles4dr.jpg

There are six different fighting styles to choose from, based on all the past SS games. In addition, three bonus PS2-only styles can be unlocked as well. With these styles and the added fifth button (for dodging and countering), you get a host of game play features, like the return of the CD style combos from SS4.

Visually, the game looks better than the last few SS titles; colors are more vibrant, special attacks have been enhanced with transparancy effects, and the backgrounds are all high res 2D. The character sprites are the same as always, but the overall look of the game is very nice. There are no filtering options, and the game is lacking in blood and character deaths, however. You can choose between original and arranged soundtracks, view pictures in the gallery mode, unlock more modes like survival, and more. Load times are minimal at around 5-8 seconds per match.

Basically, SS Tenka combines all the 2D SS fighters into one excellent package. This game is by far the best SS game ever made, trouncing even the almighty SS2 in my book, and is the best 2D fighter out on home systems (so far) this year. With KOF XI coming out this week, it will be facing some stiff competion!

The new characters:

sstcham19bw.jpg
sstnico14fq.jpg

Old characters return to fight again. That's Nicotine, doing a super that turns him young, in the second picture. :)

sstmatchup6pw.jpg

Newcomers include Iroha, a snow maiden, and Ochamaru, a spirit trapped inside a mechanical body.
sstiroha14od.jpg

sstoroc8vc.jpg

sstiroha23qa.jpg

sstfest6go.jpg

Sugoroku, whose attacks are based on items/traditions used in Japanese Matsuri (festivals)

sstandr6ix.jpg

Andrew is an American soldier who uses a musket.

More pics:

sstoroc8vc.jpg

sstgalf1jh.jpg

snapimg200601290054153hz.jpg

sstnako0ri.jpg

sstwan0pz.jpg

sstfight9ol.jpg

snapimg200601290044454ku.jpg

Polari

One day isamu is going to discover the "private messaging" feature. You might laugh now, but the board will never be the same after he does.

Lyte Edge

Polari said:
One day isamu is going to discover the "private messaging" feature. You might laugh now, but the board will never be the same after he does.

:lol Yeah, or maybe learn to use the search function, too. :)

But it's okay; I don't mind talking about SS Tenka, since it rocks. I never did write a review; really need to get around to doing that. Same goes with Neo-Geo Battle Coliseum.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Thanks man :)

Damn, after tonight with all the dvds I just picked up from DDD, plus this, my wallet am cry :(

Lyte Edge

No problem, Isamu. :) I always love pimping the holy SNk trilogy of awesomeness, which is SS Tenka, Neo-Geo Battle Coliseum, and KOF XI. I went and uploaded most of the screenshots I took when I first got the game, too.

KOF XI THIS WEEK OMG OMG OMG OMG HOLY CRAP HOLY CRAP AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH NEED SEDATIVES!!!!11111
alborghetti21zj.gif
alborghetti21zj.gif
alborghetti21zj.gif

Lyte Edge

BTW, I see that NCS is sold out, but Play-Asia still has the game in stock. The initial run of the game also came with a bonus Iroha capsule toy figure, but I doubt you'd get that if you ordered it now.

Lyte edge is completely right, this game kicks serious ass. Thetrin picked it up and we played for quite a bit a couple of weekends ago. I have always been a sort of sideline fan of the SS series. Always loved the designs and gameplay but just never played it in depth. Pretty sure I am gonna pick this up before I leave for the states
:(:(:(

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Yea, Budokai and I have been having a blast with it lately. I`m glad to see it get some love from GAF. Now I need to pick up Neo Geo Battle Colisseum....

Rayne.S

Banned
^^ proud owner of the Jap version ^^

One thing I really dislike is the extremely clean baackground which contrast rather harshly with the low-res characters. Backgrounds and characters should be more or less the same res ...

Love the game though ... hate the ubercheap last boss <_<

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Rayne.S said:
^^ proud owner of the Jap version ^^

One thing I really dislike is the extremely clean baackground which contrast rather harshly with the low-res characters. Backgrounds and characters should be more or less the same res ...

Love the game though ... hate the ubercheap last boss <_<

I dislike the clean backgrounds that have oddly jerky animation. The characters are incredibly animated, on the other hand.

Rayne.S

Banned
There you go, my thoughts exactly ....

Same goes for Capcom Fighting Jam though. As must as i hate the game, i hate the backgrounds even more -_-

Lyte Edge

TheTrin said:
Now I need to pick up Neo Geo Battle Colisseum....

DID SOMEBODY SAY NGBC??!?!

PA.44060.001.jpg

ngbcselect1yz.jpg

Yuki and Ai are two original characters, although I think they are from KOF Battle De Paradise for the Neo-Geo Pocket. All of their attacks are based off of various Neo-Geo games. In addition to SNK characters, there are also some ADK characters from World Heroes (Hanzo, Fuuma, Mudman, and Neo Dio) and Agressors Of Dark Kombat/Gan Gan (Kisarah)
ngbctungsuper2db.jpg
snapimg200512232343599ak.jpg
ngbcmetalslug8dg.jpg

ngbchaohgenj8us.jpg

ngbcaof8yl.jpg

snapimg200512241949218ju.jpg

snapimg200512232317243iw.jpg

ROX ROX ROX ROX Although it does have some long load times for this day and age. When you play single player, play the survival mode. Oddly enough, the load times are only a few seconds long after the initial long load (12-18 seconds) when you pick your character. The game is so good that the load times shouldn't hinder you from buying it. I would get The King Of Fighters XI first, though. It's going to be PACKED with content, including seven bonus characters from NGBC.

isamu

Lyte Edge said:
BTW, I see that NCS is sold out, but Play-Asia still has the game in stock. The initial run of the game also came with a bonus Iroha capsule toy figure, but I doubt you'd get that if you ordered it now.

Yup...ordered from Play-asia last night and got the limited edition package with the 12" Genjuro and Basara resin kits. It was the last one they had lol.

isamu

Lyte Edge, I have the game. How do you change the menus and stuff to English? Respond quickly please!!!!!!!!!

Lyte Edge

isamu said:
Lyte Edge, I have the game. How do you change the menus and stuff to English? Respond quickly please!!!!!!!!!

Uhhhh....

Dude....

You CAN'T.

The game should be pretty self-explanatory anyway. Not sure if there's FAQs out there. I can help you out if need be.

Lyte is killing me with these import fighter threads. (Yeah, I know Isamu started this one. Shut up.) I'm currently staring down a $350-ish modded PS2, or hundreds more for a PS3 that I'm still not entirely sure will be region-free at this point. (shakes fist at Lyte)

klee123

Got the two games at release too. I love SS Tenken to bits. NGBC was good, but along with the general opinion, the load times leave a lot to be desired. It's like the old PSone SNK fighters again, which I certainly didn't miss. Thank god for the survival mode.

thetrin

Attack You said:
Lyte is killing me with these import fighter threads. (Yeah, I know Isamu started this one. Shut up.) I'm currently staring down a $350-ish modded PS2

Buying a JP PS2 would actually have been cheaper.

anotheriori said:
300!!?
just get a flip top and swap disc, works for everything and you can still play online if you want.

I'm considering that. I just wish I could find some user instructions on the flip top and swap disc. I want to see exactly what I'm getting myself into before I throw money down on it. There must also be some reason why traditional mod chips are still around despite the much cheaper alternative...

TheTrin said:
Buying a JP PS2 would actually have been cheaper.

Yes. The thought has crossed my mind, but I own too many NTSC-U games now, and my current PS2 console is dying (i.e.: won't read DVD-9s or CDs now).

isamu

Just got through playing Tenka with a couple friends for 5 hours straight. Awesome awesome game!! The grand finally of SS.

Lyte Edge said:
Uhhhh....

Dude....

You CAN'T.

The game should be pretty self-explanatory anyway. Not sure if there's FAQs out there. I can help you out if need be.

OK fair enough... so do you know of a site I can go to that has translated pics for the different symbols and icons, specifically for the bust/slash icons? I can't figure out what any of this stuff means. You mention that you can pull off CD "dial-a-combos" ala SS IV? How do you get into that mode?

Plus, there appears to no longer be the little move list under your rage gauge from previous SS games. Is therean option to put them back there? How do I know how a power move is done?

thetrin

isamu said:
How do I know how a power move is done?

Check the skill list in the pause options. There are two windows once you select skill list (or key list, i cant remember). The first window is which character. Your currently active character is the character where your cursor starts, so just press O again. The second window is a list of all the different kinds of moves (including basic moves). Sift through that until you find the most complicated move.

Power moves for most guys are qcfx2 hard slash or regular slash.

Lyte Edge

Attack You said:
Lyte is killing me with these import fighter threads. (Yeah, I know Isamu started this one. Shut up.) I'm currently staring down a $350-ish modded PS2, or hundreds more for a PS3 that I'm still not entirely sure will be region-free at this point. (shakes fist at Lyte)

$350 is WAAAAAY too much. I bought a modded slimline PS2 early last year for about $200 shipped.

Lyte Edge said:
$350 is WAAAAAY too much. I bought a modded slimline PS2 early last year for about $200 shipped.

That sounds a lot more appealing. I'm searching for one to buy at that price... (continues looking)

Lyte Edge

isamu said:
Just got through playing Tenka with a couple friends for 5 hours straight. Awesome awesome game!! The grand finally of SS.

Yup, yup...packed with just about everything you could possibly want! Don't forget there's some bonus characters and fighting styles to unlock, too. You can also unlock a survival mode, art gallery/ending stuff, and a character customization (for balancing strength and such, but it's very Kanji heavy) mode.

OMGHOLYJEEZICANTBELIEVEITITSISAMU!!!!111 said:
OK fair enough... so do you know of a site I can go to that has translated pics for the different symbols and icons, specifically for the bust/slash icons? I can't figure out what any of this stuff means. You mention that you can pull off CD "dial-a-combos" ala SS IV? How do you get into that mode?

Each of the six (later expands to 9 when you unlock them) Kanji symbols you're seeing are different FIGHTING STYLES for the characters to use. There are no more bust/slash versions. You can look at each style as being somewhat based on different SS games; the SS4 CD combo style you want is the one I used in all the pics I put up. It's the "Ten" (heaven or sky; the same one on Akuma's back!) Kanji on the lower lefthand corner of this picture:

snapimg200601290044454ku.jpg

Plus, there appears to no longer be the little move list under your rage gauge from previous SS games. Is therean option to put them back there? How do I know how a power move is done?

ALL the super moves are done the same way, by doing a fireball motion and hitting the A and B slashes together. I want to say the default on PS2 would be triangle and circle, but without it in front of me, I can't quite remember! Definitely get yourself a FAQ though; one of the fighting styles gives all the characters an additional super move, and those are done with different input methods.

And BTW Isamu...KOF XI needs to be in your collection too! :D

isamu

Thanks. I'll see what I can do to sort some of this out. And FYI, there is absolutely no infomation about Tenka at Gamefaqs. Shame on them :(

By the way LE...how do you know know much about the game? Do you read Japanese? :D

isamu

I'm trying to dodge. Which button is dodge?

Also, you mentioned that I can put this on the PS2 hard drive for faster loading. Where can I get this hard drive and the software needed to install Tenka on it?

thetrin

isamu said:
Also, you mentioned that I can put this on the PS2 hard drive for faster loading. Where can I get this hard drive and the software needed to install Tenka on it?

In the states, the HDD was only sold with FFXI, and for a limited time. I`m not sure how the situation was here in Japan.

As for how we know so much, I`m pretty sure Lyte can read more japanese than myself, but limited knowledge of kanji, katakana, and hiragana definitely helps me.

Rayne.S

Banned
SNK will release some of the Jap only gems in europe though. Just revieced this releaseschedule.

PS2 Digital Devil Saga 21-07-2006

Nieuwe Produkten :

Platform
Titel
Release
NDS
SVC Card Fighters
30-nov-06

Xbox 360
King of Fighters MI 2.5
31-jan-07

PS2
KOF NeoWave
30-sep-06
PS2
Neo Geo Battle Coliseum
31-okt-06
PS2
King of Fighters MI 2
31-okt-06
PS2
Mercury Meltdown Remix
15-nov-06
PS2
Samurai Shodown 6
08-dec-06
PS2
King of Fighters XI
08-dec-06

PSP
Mercury Meltdown
30-sep-06
PSP
Metal Slug Anthology
31-okt-06
PSP
Blade Dancer
31-okt-06

GBA
Metal Slug
31-okt-06

WII
Mercury Meltdown
31-jan-07
WII
Metal Slug Anthology
launch title

Platform
Titel
Release
NDS
Puyo Pop Fever
07-jul-06
NDS
SVC Card Fighters
30-nov-06
Xbox
King of Fighters Maximum Impact Maniax
TBA
Xbox
King of Fighters 2003
TBA
Xbox
Metal Slug 5
TBA
PC
Pacman World 3
TBA

Lyte Edge

Skilotonn said:
Damn that new SS girl looks HOT on the boxart!

Haha, she's basically become the "Mai Shiranui" of SS, with fanart (and much worse) all over the place. Pre-orders of this game also came with a bonus Iroha trading figure.

isamu said:
Thanks. I'll see what I can do to sort some of this out. And FYI, there is absolutely no infomation about Tenka at Gamefaqs. Shame on them :(

Google is your friend, Isamu. http://www.cyberfanatix.com/list.php?c=FAQs

:)

By the way LE...how do you know know much about the game? Do you read Japanese? :D

I can read hiragana, katakana, and some Kanji, but it's not even that; when you've been playing these games for so long, it's pretty easy to figure stuff out.

isamu said:
I'm trying to dodge. Which button is dodge?

I didn't mention the HD, someone else did. You need an old model PS2 (not slimline) and all the HD Loader stuff for that to work. I don't know anything about it.

Whether or not you can dodge depends on which style you choose. That button (E in arcades) does different things in each play style. Should be R1 on default. Come on man, CRACK OPEN THAT MANUAL!! :D

Top Bottom