• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT3| Where All the Waifus Are Made Up and the Points Don't Matter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Branduil

I just find it amazing that everyone has the same reaction to Tari Tari. Like it was just something that happened. I think the length is what is holding it back, but who knows.

(Also, it's still better than HanaIro!)

Did you ever watch the last episodes of HanaIro?

Jarmel

Banned
So uh since duckroll hasn't mentioned this, I think Psycho-Pass seems to be doing a live streaming event of the premiere on Nico Live on the 29th. I don't know what it's showing though but I think it's just the Q&A session.

lol no animation for you.

/XX/

Nope; it was a 3 minute pilot. Like Kyousogiga's. Or PPGZ's. Or Gaiking's.

Toei does that shit a lot.
Yep. It was used for the vendors to demonstrate (pitch) the product and negotiate the licenses at the professional animation market event I mentioned above, the Marché international du film d'animation (Mifa), all while this coincided with the release of the first batch of images from the series as a proof-of-concept (and because of that were extracted from said pilot).

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
So... who's excited for Jojo? I hope it's good, seriously.
My expectations are exceedingly low. I have a pretty hard time getting hyped for action stuff because it's pretty much a lock on being a let down lately.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Well, that is what it says, yeah... but one thing to add, both the movie and series are parallel works from the same project that has Mr. Astruc, the creator of the original concept, at the helm of it (and includes other planned things as well, like 'bande dessinées' penned by him). This was reported as such at the unveiling of the project made at MIPCOM 2010 (http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118025064).

About the premiere of the series and when will it be... don't take my word for granted but, from information I have seen, it could be that French TV channel TF1 (that announced a pre-purchase of the series at Annecy's MIFA 2012, and consequently is helping on its production) was aiming for a January-February first emission. Remember, this data is not confirmed...

You really do know everything, don't you?

Nope; it was a 3 minute pilot. Like Kyousogiga's or Gaiking's.

Toei does that shit a lot.

Given that, rather than a full "sample" episode, both of these still appear to be a series of disjointed scenes strung together for promotional purposes I still find it hard to mentally classify this sort of thing as a "pilot", but if that's what they say it is, I can't dispute that. I suppose that my definition is too limited.

Ultimadrago

Tsuritama 7-12 [END]

pr6cB.png

That was quite a good time. I wasn't big on the character designs initially, but I found myself appreciating the whole package of the characters more so later on. Their personalities and developments grew on me as a viewer at a pace that worked well with the 12 episodes of run time. My investment increased along with the rising events of the story (even before that as
Yuki trains to become a fisherman
. The sense of camaraderie between the four main characters were satisfyingly presented and by the end made for a force estimable with the magnitude of the final obstacle. In short, I'm glad I came back around to watching this.

duckroll

Code Geass: Akito the Exiled - Chapter 1: The Wyvern Arrives

i7RBk7QOe7tVu.jpg

This movie-OVA series from director Kazuki Akane has been in production for a long, long time, and if there is any part of it where that really shows, it would be in the setting and world building. The show is set between the TV seasons of Code Geass, but far away in Europa, where the Black Rebellion uprising is nothing more than a piece of information whispered by those who care about such underground developments. The main stage of the story is about those displaced by war, with nowhere to truly call home, trapped in a conflict they might care nothing about.

It's a little odd at first to see a Code Geass production taking itself so seriously, especially after two seasons of what the original series degenerated into. Instead of relying on constant plot twists, a high tempo pace, and total insanity, Akito prefers to take its time introducing a smaller cast of core characters, and establishing Europa as a believable setting in the same world, with their own unique problems and hierarchy. The show is also heavily militaristic, and relatively bleak. There are no school life hi-jinx, there is little humor, and it is rather clear that all the characters are living in times where there is little joy or celebration to be had, and everyone feels a little on edge.

I think the best comparison here would be that it feels a lot like the sort of setting Gundam 00 tried to achieve in the first season, but in a more extreme way. Everything is clearly serious business, and the majority of characters on both sides are military personnel or politicians. Much of the dialogue in the first chapter is dedicated to building up the history and current status of the general setting as well as that of the characters.

The choice of Hashimoto as the composer only further drives home the bleak nature of the setting. There are slow panning shots of gorgeous but rather empty or abandoned cityscapes accompanied by sad melancholic tunes with slow jazzy overtones. The same feeling is felt as the camera slowly zooms out of an overhead view showing a long train of military trucks moving along a lush countryside after a battle, like a match of ants returning to the nest, with neither conviction or joy, just a feeling of a day's duty being done, and the dead left behind.

The use of pure CG for the action sequences is something fairly controversial among fans of the original series, given how the series had many well animated 2D mech battles, but ultimately it was a good choice here. The decision to let the 3D director handle all the robot action pieces himself without any assistance from rough 2D keyframing also means much more freedom when it comes to choreographing the set pieces in CG.

The result is wide and extremely dynamic action pieces which heavy camera work and tons of movement from the subjects every single moment they're on screen. The action here is much more reminiscent of good videogame FMVs from Japan, as opposed to the normal slate of CG vehicles we normally see (there's some of that in Akito too, but hey, whatever) in anime. I would say the CG action here is definitely comparable to what we've seen from Black Rock Shooter TV and the dogfight in Fate/Zero, but on a higher level because of the amount of detail in the models here, and how much constant movement there is. The celshading looks pretty good too.

Overall this first chapter was engaging, and very promising, but yet I feel a little wary about the complete series. For a 4-part show, the first part here is spent a little too heavily on development and introductions. This might pay off later on if there is a solid plan, but it might also end up feeling unbalanced if they end up rushing the later presumably more important events due to a lack of time. As it stands, it is almost impossible to tell exactly how the rest of the show will pan out.

What's also interesting is that when they first showed a PV for this back in January, the trailer had scenes which are now clearly from the second chapter. They've been planning this pretty far in advance, and production seems to be going well, yet they have "delayed" the second chapter to Spring 2013, instead of sticking with the original 3 month plan. If the footage already exists, then it seems likely that they're simply stalling to give each chapter a longer run in cinemas - especially since it has proven pretty profitable so far. If the home release is successful as well, maybe they'll consider expanding the length of the remaining chapters if required...

Intriguing. I wasn't exactly a fan of the original CG, despite really wanting to like it. The tone drove me insane and outside of the pretty pictures and music I had a hard time stomaching the characters and plot.

Might give this a try though. Sounds like it's closer to what I had hoped the original two seasons would be.

/XX/

You really do know everything, don't you?
I don't. I just remember researching and later saving some links with information about the project since it was presented; keep in mind this is the kind of work that it's going to be followed very closely by the French animation scene, so it is normal that Tsuka (for example) has been providing such key information (even straight from Jeremy Zag himself) while the community at CATSUKA has in turn been reminding everyone about the existence of this, continuously.

Another interesting thing related that surprised me following this project closely is that Aton Soumache, as producer for both sister companies Method Animation (studio co-responsible of Miraculous LadyBug) & Onix Films, is also involved on the upcoming film Cobra: The Space Pirate. In fact, when this was announced I thought that, for a mid-sized French production company with another more ambitious and bigger budget film that caters as well to audiences outside Europe, this could have made them put Miraculous on-hold.

Akito prefers to take its time introducing a smaller cast of core characters, and establishing Europa as a believable setting in the same world, with their own unique problems and hierarchy. The show is also heavily militaristic, and relatively bleak. There are no school life hi-jinx, there is little humor, and it is rather clear that all the characters are living in times where there is little joy or celebration to be had, and everyone feels a little on edge.

Dropped!

Just kidding. Sounds interesting at least.

Maedhros

It looks like an offshoot of Toriko, so I hope it differentiates itself, so Im willing to check it out. I just hope it introduces compelling characters.

WTF!? Lol, no. It doesn't looks nothing like Toriko. The original manga of Jojo is from the 80's man. 87 to be precise.

It's a pretty old-school shonen. It has multiple parts. The first one will be a slow ride. But I can understand how some people can't get into it. It's from the same vein as Hokuto no Ken, which is pretty old and niche. Also, it's not moe or cute.

The PV is out, actually.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdFOvoitOuk

Esura

Banned
Episode 12: Conquest - Oda Nobuna

Now this is how you end an episode. Large armies fighting each others, betrayal, revenge, rage, the ambition, the confessions, the fights, it's all glorious. Some straight up awesome animation as well. What a nice way to top off a day. Looking forward to a second season!

uVhlZ.jpg

Even love bloom on the battlefield.

trejo

Masterful Storytelling Art Online 12

Wow. Just... wow. This was probably the single greatest anime episode I have watched in years.

The relationship between Kirito, Asuna and their newfound and lovely daughter Yui is incredibly heartwarming in how real it feels. You can tell that the love they all display for each other is extremely genuine in pretty much every scene where they're together.

The episode starts shortly after where the previous one left off. The lovely couple is discussing with a kindhearted young woman who takes care of all the poor children trapped in the cruel and ruthless world of SAO about the possible whereabouts of Yui's original caretakers as well as trying to find out a bit more about where she's come from. Shortly afterwards, a woman from the same guild as the bullies they dispatched in the previous episode shows up and reveals she has a very important favor to ask of them. Turns out that, basically, a man called Kibao has taken control of the guild from its leader Thinker through some dubious means and has turned it into a vile den of scum and villainy. Most shocking of all though, was that it is revealed to us that this is the same man who gave Kirito such a hard time during the second episode by being an all-around douchebag. As you can guess, this was completely flooring to me. Now this is how you do foreshadowing!

So anyway, after listening to the woman's request, Asuna, being the wise and cautious character that she is, admits to having some reservations about believing the woman's story but that stops once Yui assuages her concerns by declaring that she has a pretty good hunch that the woman is being truthful. With Kirito being fully on board, it is decided that whatever it is they were doing before can wait and that this new quest they received is of the utmost importance for everyone involved so they decide to set off straight away but not before Yui pulls a little fit, clings to Kirito's arm and loudly declares that she wants to go too. She's so incredibly HNNNNNNG it hurts!

Some time later, after some very intense raiding inside an underground dungeon and some truly hilarious scenes between Kirito and Asuna that serve to reinforce just how incredibly strong the bond between the two of them is, the party finally chances upon Thinker but are ambushed by a menacing Grim Reaper-looking thing with a very weird eye twitch. After saving the woman like the goddamned hero that he is, Kirito urges the rest of them to flee to safety while he valiantly stays behind to keep the foe at bay. Naturally Asuna, being the strong and loving character that she is, decides to stay by his side no matter what while the two guild member whisk their daughter Yui off to safety using some teleport crystals. The love between the two is palpable during this scene and it's almost enough to move one to tears.

As you can imagine, I was at the edge of my seat during the intense action scenes that followed as the loving duo did battle with the menacing monster only to find themselves outmatched and facing impending doom. I honestly could not believe what was happening before my eyes. I mean, could it possibly be? Were the two protagonists and best characters in the show about to die at the hands of such a fearsome opponent? It seemed like a very real possibility so when all of a sudden Yui showed up again to face the reaper by herself and then proceeded to produce a massive sword out of thin air to vanquish it while the words "Immortal Object" hovered above her head I very nearly shat my pants in disbelief. What was going on? What could this all possibly mean? My mind raced with possibilities but nothing could've prepared me for what was then revealed. It turns out she was never actually a real person but an A.I. as a matter of fact! My face was utterly blown away by these revelations since I would never in a million years would've ever thought of that being the case.

The next few scenes are a little fuzzy because by this point I was in tears by the powerful imagery displayed before me of Yui explaining her origins as well as her functions within the world of SAO, about how she was unable to help the people driven insane by the situation they suddenly found themselves trapped in and about how she eventually broke down but most of all about how she had found two very special players with mental paramaters way different from every single other person inside the world and how much she wandered about longing to meet them. The love Yui expressed for her mama and papa as she explained to them how to hax into the system as well as the way Asuna desperately clung to her daughter's tiny body as she was being sent to the recycle bin truly left me an inconsolable mess. It's a good thing, then, that the tears of sorrow turned into tears of happiness once Kirito, using his newfound l337 h4x skills, managed to retrieve His daughter from HDD oblivion and store her inside a cute little tear-shaped USB drive for his waifu to wear around her neck. The episode then ends with Asuna, being the emotional and believable character that she is, longing for the day when the two of them can finally meet their first daughter again in the real world with the help of SCIENCE or something like that.

In the end I have to say, it's amazing how such smart and emotional writing can evoke some unbelievably strong feelings from within me. Of course, this was also helped by the sublime soundtrack provided by the ever talented Yuki kajiura. She has clearly been bringing her A game for this show seeing how the music has been firing on all cylinders ever since the very first episode. Sometimes rousing, sometimes subdued, sometimes touching, sometimes evoking, always astonishing. This is most definitely her strongest, most original and inspirational work to date.

I may have been a teensy bit down on previous episodes but I think I can safely attribute that to the fact my mind was having trouble keeping up with the prowess of the writing but now that the veil has been lifted from my eyes I can finally see the proverbial light. It is clear to me now that no one could've had the maturity of mind nor the sheer unbridled talent to tackle the themes explored in this arc in such a deep and powerful fashion. Themes like family, love, friendship, unity, strength, loss, sacrifice, the distinction between the real world and the digital one and what it truly means to be human are but a few examples of what can be found here and, although these are themes that have been used by other, lesser authors this is the first time I've seen them so tightly woven together into such a perfect, balanced whole. It's awe-inspiring. It's so awe-inspiring it's almost disgusting.

I don't think I'm getting too ahead of myself by stating that Reki kawahara is most likely gonna be remembered by history as one of the most brilliant and creative literary minds of the 21st century. In fact, it would not really surprise me in the slightest if there were a nobel prize in literature in his future. The way he makes his worlds and characters feel so genuinely natural, believable and compelling is downright unmatched by anyone alive today.

Masterful Storytelling Art Online 12 It is clear to me now that no one could've had the maturity of mind nor the sheer unbridled talent to tackle the themes explored in this arc in such a deep and powerful fashion. Themes like family, love, friendship, unity, strength, loss, sacrifice, the distinction between the real world and the digital one and what it truly means to be human are but a few examples of what can be found here and, although these are themes that have been used by other, lesser authors this is the first time I've seen them so tightly woven together into such a perfect, balanced whole. It's awe-inspiring. It's so awe-inspiring it's almost disgusting.

Well putting it like that changes a part of my viewpoint on Sword Art Online. I guess I like it a bit better now by hows its handled these themes and I will probably try to focus more upon them in my inevitable second or third rewatch of the series. The theme of loss is really handled well and friendship has steadily been becoming a bit more important as well as unity so it has started to cater to what I like.

I don't think I'm getting too ahead of myself by stating that Reki kawahara is most likely gonna be remembered by history as one of the most brilliant and creative literary minds of the 21st century. In fact, it would not really surprise me in the slightest if there were a nobel prize in literature in his future. The way he makes his worlds and characters feel so genuinely natural, believable and compelling is downright unmatched by anyone alive today.

I would hope the writer is more recognized for the more refined Accel World. While SAO has the better main protagonist, it seems every other factor that surrounded Kirito in SAO was just more refined, done better, and improved in a more efficient manner in Accel World.

Lain

Muv-Luv Alternative Total Eclipse 13

As usual, the episode ends and I'm left asking myself "what? It's already done?! Noooooo".
I feel like time just speeds up when watching this.
Speaking of the episode, Yui is really a Death God or something lol. I am really curious to see if and how
Yuuya gets out of that.
Damn those Russians, they act like bastards to the end!

JCG

It's a little odd at first to see a Code Geass production taking itself so seriously, especially after two seasons of what the original series degenerated into. Instead of relying on constant plot twists, a high tempo pace, and total insanity, Akito prefers to take its time introducing a smaller cast of core characters, and establishing Europa as a believable setting in the same world, with their own unique problems and hierarchy.

Well, I'm not too shocked. It sounds pretty much like what I imagined right after the basic premise was announced.

It seems the change in format should keep the production safe from the kind of external demands that ultimately doomed R2 and also gives the staff a lot more time to work on the show between each episode. There's no urgent need to go for a ratings grab every other week, so it's good to know they're focusing on the sort of material that I enjoyed the most, as largely absent as it was during the later parts of the original story.

Overall this first chapter was engaging, and very promising, but yet I feel a little wary about the complete series. For a 4-part show, the first part here is spent a little too heavily on development and introductions. This might pay off later on if there is a solid plan, but it might also end up feeling unbalanced if they end up rushing the later presumably more important events due to a lack of time. As it stands, it is almost impossible to tell exactly how the rest of the show will pan out.

Honestly, if they don't have a plan for the remaining episodes by now, at the very least they have enough opportunities to come up with one. I'm sure they'll throw in a couple of crazy plot twists by the end, which isn't necessarily bad by any means, but even those should work better if the starting base is solid and keeps them limited. Like you stated, I hope that if sales are good enough to justify more episodes they'll choose to add them (or extend the running time) if necessary.

trejo

Is that a dry run for your application for ANN reviewer, trejo?

Sword Art Online

Overall (sub) : A+
Story : A+
Animation : A-
Art : A
Music : A+

+ Sublime soundtrack and frenetic, high-powered animation only serve to enhance enjoyment of this fully realized world and the compelling characters that inhabit it.
- It's no Accel World.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Well I haven't been on as much lately as I would like... let's see what's going on.

1) KyoAni arguments
2) SAO talk + AW for good measure

It's like I've been here all along! ;P

Let's have fun in various ways S2 - EP 12
OOxHT.jpg

I'm enjoying this couple action/errands a lot..

I'm sad that we're near the end of this second season .. It was very entertaining and they managed to improve the characters despite having a much larger cast

Ps: adult becky look childlish in her clothes ..at least she has nanoha-like powers now ..

Necrovex

Episode 12: Conquest - Oda Nobuna

Now this is how you end an episode. Large armies fighting each others, betrayal, revenge, rage, the ambition, the confessions, the fights, it's all glorious. Some straight up awesome animation as well. What a nice way to top off a day. Looking forward to a second season!

uVhlZ.jpg

Even love bloom on the battlefield.

Wait, there are only twelve episodes for this season? If so, I might as well power through the last bits of it, since I'm about to hit the 3/4th mark.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I'm serious, I forgot all your complaints about it except for the guys who tried to pick up Ohana.

Shitty writing to contrive "the worst day ever". And considering I was okay with the somewhat idiotic paintball episode from earlier in the series (which, for whatever reason, was the only way they could think of to do an episode about that one character), that's saying something.

It's like being a fan of hamburgers and being shown how cattle are zapped in the brain in order to kill them. Maybe you can still eat burgers, but you'll always have the dead cow in your mind. :p

Branduil

Shitty writing to contrive "the worst day ever". And considering I was okay with the somewhat idiotic paintball episode from earlier in the series (which, for whatever reason, was the only way they could think of to do an episode about that one character), that's saying something.

It's like being a fan of hamburgers and being shown how cattle are zapped in the brain in order to kill them. Maybe you can still eat burgers, but you'll always have the dead cow in your mind. :p

iop0MZ9Yi60Bx.jpg

Jarmel

Banned
Masterful Storytelling Art Online 12

Wow. Just... wow. This was probably the single greatest anime episode I have watched in years.

The relationship between Kirito, Asuna and their newfound and lovely daughter Yui is incredibly heartwarming in how real it feels. You can tell that the love they all display for each other is extremely genuine in pretty much every scene where they're together.

The episode starts shortly after where the previous one left off. The lovely couple is discussing with a kindhearted young woman who takes care of all the poor children trapped in the cruel and ruthless world of SAO about the possible whereabouts of Yui's original caretakers as well as trying to find out a bit more about where she's come from. Shortly afterwards, a woman from the same guild as the bullies they dispatched in the previous episode shows up and reveals she has a very important favor to ask of them. Turns out that, basically, a man called Kibao has taken control of the guild from its leader Thinker through some dubious means and has turned it into a vile den of scum and villainy. Most shocking of all though, was that it is revealed to us that this is the same man who gave Kirito such a hard time during the second episode by being an all-around douchebag. As you can guess, this was completely flooring to me. Now this is how you do foreshadowing!

So anyway, after listening to the woman's request, Asuna, being the wise and cautious character that she is, admits to having some reservations about believing the woman's story but that stops once Yui assuages her concerns by declaring that she has a pretty good hunch that the woman is being truthful. With Kirito being fully on board, it is decided that whatever it is they were doing before can wait and that this new quest they received is of the utmost importance for everyone involved so they decide to set off straight away but not before Yui pulls a little fit, clings to Kirito's arm and loudly declares that she wants to go too. She's so incredibly HNNNNNNG it hurts!

Some time later, after some very intense raiding inside an underground dungeon and some truly hilarious scenes between Kirito and Asuna that serve to reinforce just how incredibly strong the bond between the two of them is, the party finally chances upon Thinker but are ambushed by a menacing Grim Reaper-looking thing with a very weird eye twitch. After saving the woman like the goddamned hero that he is, Kirito urges the rest of them to flee to safety while he valiantly stays behind to keep the foe at bay. Naturally Asuna, being the strong and loving character that she is, decides to stay by his side no matter what while the two guild member whisk their daughter Yui off to safety using some teleport crystals. The love between the two is palpable during this scene and it's almost enough to move one to tears.

As you can imagine, I was at the edge of my seat during the intense action scenes that followed as the loving duo did battle with the menacing monster only to find themselves outmatched and facing impending doom. I honestly could not believe what was happening before my eyes. I mean, could it possibly be? Were the two protagonists and best characters in the show about to die at the hands of such a fearsome opponent? It seemed like a very real possibility so when all of a sudden Yui showed up again to face the reaper by herself and then proceeded to produce a massive sword out of thin air to vanquish it while the words "Immortal Object" hovered above her head I very nearly shat my pants in disbelief. What was going on? What could this all possibly mean? My mind raced with possibilities but nothing could've prepared me for what was then revealed. It turns out she was never actually a real person but an A.I. as a matter of fact! My face was utterly blown away by these revelations since I would never in a million years would've ever thought of that being the case.

The next few scenes are a little fuzzy because by this point I was in tears by the powerful imagery displayed before me of Yui explaining her origins as well as her functions within the world of SAO, about how she was unable to help the people driven insane by the situation they suddenly found themselves trapped in and about how she eventually broke down but most of all about how she had found two very special players with mental paramaters way different from every single other person inside the world and how much she wandered about longing to meet them. The love Yui expressed for her mama and papa as she explained to them how to hax into the system as well as the way Asuna desperately clung to her daughter's tiny body as she was being sent to the recycle bin truly left me an inconsolable mess. It's a good thing, then, that the tears of sorrow turned into tears of happiness once Kirito, using his newfound l337 h4x skills, managed to retrieve His daughter from HDD oblivion and store her inside a cute little tear-shaped USB drive for his waifu to wear around her neck. The episode then ends with Asuna, being the emotional and believable character that she is, longing for the day when the two of them can finally meet their first daughter again in the real world with the help of SCIENCE or something like that.

In the end I have to say, it's amazing how such smart and emotional writing can evoke some unbelievably strong feelings from within me. Of course, this was also helped by the sublime soundtrack provided by the ever talented Yuki kajiura. She has clearly been bringing her A game for this show seeing how the music has been firing on all cylinders ever since the very first episode. Sometimes rousing, sometimes subdued, sometimes touching, sometimes evoking, always astonishing. This is most definitely her strongest, most original and inspirational work to date.

I may have been a teensy bit down on previous episodes but I think I can safely attribute that to the fact my mind was having trouble keeping up with the prowess of the writing but now that the veil has been lifted from my eyes I can finally see the proverbial light. It is clear to me now that no one could've had the maturity of mind nor the sheer unbridled talent to tackle the themes explored in this arc in such a deep and powerful fashion. Themes like family, love, friendship, unity, strength, loss, sacrifice, the distinction between the real world and the digital one and what it truly means to be human are but a few examples of what can be found here and, although these are themes that have been used by other, lesser authors this is the first time I've seen them so tightly woven together into such a perfect, balanced whole. It's awe-inspiring. It's so awe-inspiring it's almost disgusting.

Flawless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom