• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT3| Where All the Waifus Are Made Up and the Points Don't Matter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarmel

Banned
http://www.e-hon.ne.jp/bec/SA/Detai...900000004910281150928&Action_id=101&Sza_id=LL

Psycho-Pass cover on TV Bros magazine, out tomorrow.

acTXu.jpg

More scans? That's nice.

Jex

- I can't believe that Parish thread is still going on.

- Hyouka is the best show KyoAni's ever made.

- Hanasaku Iroha is a good show, held back by some weaker episodes but carried by its strong beginning, middle, and conclusion.

That is all.

This post is fair and balanced.

Sengoku Collection 23

That was a weird episode. Enjoyable weird I would say. I liked the whole history narrative they used, really helped with the flow and made it pretty enjoyable compared to what a normal episode would have been.

Heh, more Three Kingdoms stuff as well.

And, Nobunaga, you ruin everything.

Jex

Code Geass: Akito the Exiled - Chapter 1: The Wyvern Arrives

It's a little odd at first to see a Code Geass production taking itself so seriously, especially after two seasons of what the original series degenerated into. Instead of relying on constant plot twists, a high tempo pace, and total insanity, Akito prefers to take its time introducing a smaller cast of core characters, and establishing Europa as a believable setting in the same world, with their own unique problems and hierarchy. The show is also heavily militaristic, and relatively bleak. There are no school life hi-jinx, there is little humor, and it is rather clear that all the characters are living in times where there is little joy or celebration to be had, and everyone feels a little on edge.

I think the best comparison here would be that it feels a lot like the sort of setting Gundam 00 tried to achieve in the first season, but in a more extreme way. Everything is clearly serious business, and the majority of characters on both sides are military personnel or politicians. Much of the dialogue in the first chapter is dedicated to building up the history and current status of the general setting as well as that of the characters.[...]
So, I know it's pretty hard to gauge these things, but don't you think all those things will distance the fans of the original show from these OVA's/movies? None of those things are what people associate with Code Geass (apart from maybe the first episode). Not that it really matters in the grand scheme of things if Akito is actually good.

Jex

Sword Art Online

Overall (sub) : A+
Story : A+
Animation : A-
Art : A
Music : A+

+ Sublime soundtrack and frenetic, high-powered animation only serve to enhance enjoyment of this fully realized world and the compelling characters that inhabit it.
- It's no Accel World.

See, that's note even a proper parody anymore. It's too close to reality. After all, a certain show had this in the comments:

+ An examination of love, tragedy and grief that is smart, powerful, occasionally profound, and filled with superbly written characters undergoing sensitively observed changes.
− Ending pushes its emotions too hard to fit comfortably with the rest of the series; may make you bawl like a baby in front of your guy friends.

Dead

well not really...yet
So, I know it's pretty hard to gauge these things, but don't you think all those things will distance the fans of the original show from these OVA's/movies? None of those things are what people associate with Code Geass (apart from maybe the first episode). Not that it really matters in the grand scheme of things if Akito is actually good.
Whats funny is that they are things that a fan of Goro at the time would have expected from the original Geass when it was aired.

Jex

I do love some of the actual review text for their reviews as well, not just the summaries:
Like an aged bottle of alcohol you keep for special occasions, Aria is an anime that requires viewing over an extended period of time. Much like that bottle of alcohol, the reason you don't have too much too often isn't because it tastes so good that you will crave for more with every glass. But rather the fact that with every glass you have, you quickly chip away its special meaning until all you are left with is a foul tasting bottle of rum.

Jex

Actually, tell a lie, perhaps the "+" and "-" parts are my favourite aspects of their reviews:

+ Makes you think.
− Makes you feel awful.

or

Fractale is clearly a story that has something to say. Between the similarities to Huxley's novel and the origins of the system, not to mention the city of Xanadu and the contrasts between the Lost Millennium and other people's life styles, it really wants you to think about the world Clain lives in. That it can do this and still tell a good story without getting preachy is high praise. While it doesn't succeed in everything – Dias is a bit underdeveloped and Enri is frankly irritating, plus the brevity of the series doesn't allow for as much world building as one might have liked – it still manages to capture your attention and make you think. Is this the future we're headed for? Is it just an anime that I'm making too much of? Fractale leaves that decision up to you.

+ Interesting take on a familiar theme, the idea of a technotheistic society is well portrayed. Characters grow and the voice work is good all around. Nice Celtic touches.
− Dias and the archpriestess aren't well developed enough, some world-building slips through the cracks. Characters are sometimes off-model.

They always feel so random.

Jex

Okay, I'm going to have to stop now:

Whatever other flaws the series might have, it looks great. A.C.G.T., whose other lead production credits include fare as diverse as Duel Masters, Human Crossing, and Project Blue Earth SOS, has a conspicuous lack of fan service-heavy credits to its name but still provides an ample amount of well-rendered nudity and great attention to detail on animating breast jiggling. Girls and boys alike have appealing, distinctive designs, although female designs do heavily favor voluptuous, overtly sexy physiques. The one knock against that could fairly be made here is how inexplicably incongruous Satellizer's normal low-cut uniform is with everyone else's, but that is offset by how surprisingly adorable she looks in glasses

Articalys

+ Makes you think.
− Makes you feel awful.
For anyone wondering, this is actually from their Texhnolyze review that went up yesterday.

Oh, and here's their actual grade/comments for their Sword Art Online episode 1-6 review:
Overall (sub) : B-
Story : C+
Animation : B
Art : B
Music : B

+ Cool exploration of game mechanics, interesting (if plot hole-ridden) concept.
− Multiple early side stories foster impatience, Kirito isn't that interesting on his own.

Branduil

Actually, tell a lie, perhaps the "+" and "-" parts are my favourite aspects of their reviews:

or

They always feel so random.

I think it really goes to show that requiring a list of pros and cons at the end of a review is a freaking stupid idea and you end up with hilariously bizarre equivocations or disingenuous "criticisms."

+An epic story with deep and relatable characters and great production values
-The one thing I don't like about Sword Art Online is that it's almost too good

Branduil

239 minutes; I assume that includes credits. I'd estimate the TV series is about 280-290 minutes, but that includes OP and ED sequences, so they shouldn't actually have to trim all that much to fit those running times. Of course if they're inserting new material they'll have to remove a little bit more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom