• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weekend Confirmed Episode Whimsy | Let's All Love Loving Things

The contrast between Garnett (industry vet) and Andrea (youtube age journalist) during the Eurogamer talk is outstanding

Really drives home why I've been following him for years. I swear Ariel, you and Sony better keep your grubby hands off him! You have Shane and Suttner already... will your hunger ever be satisfied???

yeah, my opinion is a misrepresentation, clearly :p

It's an open world in which you're alone for single-player. As I clearly laid out, multiplayer defaults to race playlists. The "roam" mode is a little off the beaten path and doesn't seem to be an emphasis.

Glad you like it, though. Like I said, the Colorado countryside aspect is really nice. I mean, unless you're misrepresenting the game by saying how much you like it. ;)

EDIT: oh, and I will probably give it another hour or two over the weekend. If it changes my mind any, I'll bring that up.
Ok, no need to get snippy with me, mister.

Seriously though, I guess this is just a case of miscommunication. When you said it wasn't open world, it wasn't clear to me you were talking about the multi-player. I don't pay for XBL, so I can't speak to any of that. But yes, you're alone for single player (That's why they call it single player) but there are AI racers you can challenge in an open world, so in that sense you're not alone. That's what I was taking issue with. But if you were strictly talking about multiplayer, that's my bad. I was at work while listening so it's a possibility I missed that distinction.

But I still take issue with your comments on the controls. They feel perfect to me. I was actually kind of surprised you didn't like the racing mechanics. But to each their own, I guess.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Heh, Andrea's position on the issue was rather telling. I do respect the fact that Jeff has a strong opinion on the issue and that he realizes how much trust matters when it comes to reviews.

mik

mik is unbeatable
There was a delightful symmetry created between that discussion of the media's role and responsibility, and later in the show when Andrea trotted out a protracted and largely PR-scripted monologue about Marvel Somethingorother. Brilliant.

Margalis

Banned
XMB is kind of confusing.

What can be found where can be pretty hard to determine and remember. I'm sure it makes sense once you use it enough but if you don't use it that regularly it comes off as pretty random. When I would use the PS3 we had at work before I owned a PS3 or PSP when I wanted to do something non-trivial I just scrolled through every option.

Now the same can probably be said about the 360 dash at this point. I suspect people just use it more and it's sort of evolved poorly over time from a decent starting place so it probably isn't so apparent just how bad it is now.

Massa

About the Eurogamer discussion, Shawn Elliot's posts are a must read:

Read these posts from fartofwar.

Post #1
Post #2
Post #3

There was a delightful symmetry created between that discussion of the media's role and responsibility, and later in the show when Andrea trotted out a protracted and largely PR-scripted monologue about Marvel Somethingorother. Brilliant.

Man, I thought you were joking but she really started every sentence of that discussion with "he said/they said". Fuck that.

Andrea sounds like she may be a wonderful person to be around with but she really is completely out of her league doing this podcast.

XMB is kind of confusing.

What can be found where can be pretty hard to determine and remember. I'm sure it makes sense once you use it enough but if you don't use it that regularly it comes off as pretty random. When I would use the PS3 we had at work before I owned a PS3 or PSP when I wanted to do something non-trivial I just scrolled through every option.

Now the same can probably be said about the 360 dash at this point. I suspect people just use it more and it's sort of evolved poorly over time from a decent starting place so it probably isn't so apparent just how bad it is now.

The advantage of the XMB is it's fucking fast and nothing is buried more than 2 levels. On the 360 it's hard to know where to look and often things are 3-4 menus deep, all of which take time to load. The penalty for looking in the wrong place on the XMB is about 1 second. You could take 10-20 seconds just to rule out one wrong location on the current Metro dashboard.

madmackem

Xmb is confusing, what does warfighter title mean, everytime i think i should give this podcast another chance it reminds me why i stopped tuning in. I nearly rolled my fucking eyes out of the back of my head. It goes on, the warfighter door breach talk, " it goes into slow down argghhhh" well done you have just described every single fps in the last 5 years. I really hope this type of critique will be fall blops 2.

She does this every time she's on the podcast...ugh. Can't believe they don't call her out more when she keeps doing it. The audience notices it, why don't Garnett or Jeff?

meta4

Its so irritating to hear Andrea talk. Why do they keep calling her when almost everyone does not like to hear her talk. Her knowledge on games is so bad.

decent episode. I usually don't mind Andrea.... but that episode where she admitted her ADD, and now this episode just PR'ing (Halo 4, Marvel MMO, etc) the whole time.... it just makes it hard to take her seriously.

krae_man

Today I learned that the XMB is confusing. Wha....?

The only way I can describe Jeff's opinion is "It's different then on Xbox(the first next gen console he owned and learned the menus of) therefore it sucks and is confusing"

I laughed my ass off when Andrew called him out and pointed out that deleting game data was in the game tab of the XMB and if anything is easier to find then on the 360 since it isn't buried in a sub menu, it's right up at the top one click away.

The PS3 firmware does have stupid confusing quirks but finding Game Data is not one of them.

No way this week was the first time Jeff ever deleted game data. He just had a brain fart and went looking for it in the place the 360 puts it and instead of going "Oh yeah, that's were it is, I feel stupid now", he decided "Different then the 360=confusing"

NHale

She does this every time she's on the podcast...ugh. Can't believe they don't call her out more when she keeps doing it. The audience notices it, why don't Garnett or Jeff?

I can't believe they don't notice it. But if Luke Smith was a part of this show, she would have left the room after 10 seconds because he would completely destroy her "on air".

Andrea doesn't work on PR because she is a lot more valuable to PR working for them on the "other side".

Goldmund

That Geoff Keighley picture is positively poisonous. It's not about him sitting dead-faced in a chair surrounded by junk food. It's about him and his interviewer airing an infomercial.

Again my transcript from that thread. This was part of his answer after being asked about the Halo 4 panel at Comic-Con, please read it, Garnett:

Geoff Keighley said:
Part of what I'm talking about today is the double XP program that Mountain Dew and Doritos are bringing back which actually allow gamers to rank up inside of War Games in Halo 4 by purchasing Mountain Dew or Doritos. So, that's a great example of a brand saying: "Hey, we actually want to give benefit and value to gamers." So if you buy, uh, you know, uh, if you buy, uh, Mountain Dew, you buy Doritos, you get a code, you go to dewxp dot com or doritosxp dot com, enter that code, link it to your gamer tag and then you're gonna get some experience in the game. So, it's-it's, uh, it's a good partnership.

... to which the incredulous interviewer responds with: "That's all they've got to do? It's that easy?" -- "Yeah" -- and then repeats step-by-step what the Mountain Dew and Doritos aficionado has to do to get that competitive edge!

eznark

Banned
That Geoff Keighley picture is positively poisonous. It's not about him sitting dead-faced in a chair surrounded by junk food. It's about him and his interviewer airing an infomercial.

Again my transcript from that thread. This was part of his answer after being asked about the Halo 4 panel at Comic-Con, please read it, Garnett:

... to which the incredulous interviewer responds with: "That's all they've got to do? It's that easy?" -- "Yeah" -- and then repeats step-by-step what the Mountain Dew and Doritos aficionado has to do to get that competitive edge!

Yet GameSpot literally runs an infomercial to help sell specific games and discounts and no one seems to care.

frequency

A long time ago Andrea interrupted Garnett talking about FFXIII just because it's not her type of game. I was really bummed and disliked her for it since FFXIII was rarely talked about positively on podcasts. She couldn't just be quiet for a few minutes.

But after a while I forgave her for that and started to enjoy her for who she is - even though we disagree about everything and have completely different tastes. But in a recent episode, prior to Borderlands 2 release, she used the word "perfect" to describe the game...

Maybe I am being unfair but thinking back on Andrea appearances recently, all I ever remember her talking about is how great and awesome and amazing an upcoming game is.

mujun

The advantage of the XMB is it's fucking fast and nothing is buried more than 2 levels. On the 360 it's hard to know where to look and often things are 3-4 menus deep, all of which take time to load. The penalty for looking in the wrong place on the XMB is about 1 second. You could take 10-20 seconds just to rule out one wrong location on the current Metro dashboard.

Sounds like BS to me. Tell me what takes 10-20 seconds and I'll try it on my own machine right now. Not a single thing I do takes anywhere near that.

Jharp

So yeah, that press discussion could not have missed the mark further. Yes, Andrea, we expect you to not have personal relationships with PR. Because it creates a goddamn conflict of interest given the breadth of what you cover. It's the same reason we don't want to hear Garnet talk about Playstation All-Stars, because he has a personal relationship with someone involved in the game's creation.

Also, I'm not sure if the Eurogamer article was censored before or after they recorded the episode, but I'd like to think that that's the greater issue of concern here.

Maybe I am being unfair but thinking back on Andrea appearances recently, all I ever remember her talking about is how great and awesome and amazing an upcoming game is.

It almost sounded like she was literally reading a series of bullet points about the Marvel MMO.

And don't forget that while she wasn't in that PS3 giveaway, winning one would've been totally awesome!

meppi

Trying to listen to the last episode but having a very rough time.

Not trying to be an ass and I apologise in advance if I come of that way.
But if you can't talk about any subject without putting 3 to 4 "you know's" into every single sentence, then maybe this kinda stuff just isn't your you're forte.

I start zoning out after a minute or so and only seem to hear: "you know, you know,you know, you know,you know, you know,you know, you know,you know, you know,you know, you know,you know, you know,you know, you know,you know, you know,you know, you know,you know, you know,you know, you know"

Very annoying to say the least. :-/

I like Andrea, but that Sleeping Dogs talk a couple of weeks ago and this episode...sheesh.

Also lol at the xmb being confusing. My six year old nephew can navigate that thing.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Not to jump on the Andrea hate bandwagon, but it was hilarious when she was being confronted about her stance on the Wii U tablet and all she could muster was "But...I mean...but...".

LQX

Meh, I like Adrea. I do not understand why she gets so much hate. And the XMB can be confusing. I like it but to me is like a custom firmware that offers a ton of features that otherwise would be hidden or not available to the user. Kind of like the Android except Sony throws all the features at every user rather than tucking away a few things more savvy users can get to if they wanted to.

And I agree, this Jeff Keely thing is way over blown if not for the simple fact what he was advertising/promoting was not a conflict of interest to anything he was really saying and it is mind boggling how so many are over looking this fact. We as gamers always say we wish gaming was treated like other forms of media, here is a case where it is no different from any form of media and we are blowing shit out of the water and even making it seem worse than it really was.

Also, did they give away the big Spec Ops moment? I'm about to start it and I now feel I know what the oh shit moment entails. Tried forwarding through it but caught fight club reference which immediately makes me know what to expect. No?

Man, you guys make this sound like an episode to skip. I don't hate Andrea, but usually she is only just barely not annoying to me. I guess I should not listen to this episode to keep it that way. lol

sikkinixx

Man, you guys make this sound like an episode to skip. I don't hate Andrea, but usually she is only just barely not annoying to me. I guess I should not listen to this episode to keep it that way. lol

It's a GAF podcast thread. All people do is whine and insist they will unsubscribe yet are here week in and week out.

megamerican

I like Andrea. She is a good foil for the group. Try listening back to the first episodes of this show where it was just Jeff and Garnett politely agreeing with each other for two hours.

Also, did they give away the big Spec Ops moment? I'm about to start it and I now feel I know what the oh shit moment entails. Tried forwarding through it but caught fight club reference which immediately makes me know what to expect. No?

Nah. The best thing about Spec Ops is the journey up to the twist. It really is a game that needs to be played. Garnett's hate on the game when it came out was really surprising considering he seems to be someone who wants a higher level of storytelling in games.

angelfly

I usually like Andrea but it was hard to listen to her during the Eurogamer incident discussion. In regard to the XMB, it's simple and straight forward so I don't see how anyone can find it confusing. Game related items in the game section is not something hard to figure out. It was crazy seeing them dump it into the same category as NXE even during the discussion of ads on the interface. As always though I'd like to see Yoon on more since he's always an awesome guest.

I'm pretty sure that comment was made in reference to BLOPS.

krae_man

Sounds like BS to me. Tell me what takes 10-20 seconds and I'll try it on my own machine right now. Not a single thing I do takes anywhere near that.

That's probably because you know where everything is. Looking for something you havn't used before is not the same thing. XMB is objectivly easier to find things and quicker since more of it is on the surface as opposed to burried in sub menus.

Edit:

I can tell Andrew has played the Press build of the PS3 version of Assassins Creed 3 recently. The debug mode in that has 360 button prompts. I thought that was hilarious too.

I usually like Andrea but it was hard to listen to her during the Eurogamer incident discussion. In regard to the XMB, it's simple and straight forward so I don't see how anyone can find it confusing. Game related items in the game section is not something hard to figure out. It was crazy seeing them dump it into the same category as NXE even during the discussion of ads on the interface. As always though I'd like to see Yoon on more since he's always an awesome guest

Andrea doesn't make me want to claw my ears out or anything, I just can't roll with her perspective sometimes. She seemed a little tone deaf to my ears during the EG talk. She brings more than most devs who come on to shill for their upcoming releases, that's for certain. And the guys seem to have fun when she's around, so I can't really complain.

And I'm really warming to Yoon. Always brings a nice viewpoint.

Massa

Andrea doesn't make me want to claw my ears out or anything, I just can't roll with her perspective sometimes. She seemed a little tone deaf to my ears during the EG talk. She brings more than most devs who come on to shill for their upcoming releases, that's for certain. And the guys seem to have fun when she's around, so I can't really complain.

She was a bigger shill for Borderlands 2 ("go pre-order it right now!") than the guy that actually worked on the game.

eznark

Banned
She has never really added anything to the discussion and since Garnett is completely unable to control himself when women are present I generally skip hers. That said I really like Andrew so I will probably check this episode out

Plus, Garnett navel gazing about games journalism only happens three or four times a month!

Blazyr

What are you talking about ez? I don't usually do the "inside baseball" games media stuff because it's not that interesting to me and though a few people like to hear it, more of the audience gets turned off.

Gold, I had not seen that. Don't really know what to make of that other than I guess he's a paid spokesperson for the campaign? I mean "benefit and value to gamers" sure sounds like messaging. I guess the promotion isn't bad in and of itself but it doesn't seem like something to get any more excited about than when things like when soda companies gave away codes for mp3 songs back in the day or whatever.

I do kinda want to talk about PS All-Stars tbh. If you know I have the relationship and you know me, can't you listen and judge for yourself? Funny thing is, as I've told Ariel, I'm not completely in love with their combat system. The whole attack to just build juice to power your super is sort of weird. I mean, it encourages you to get in there and mix it up but I don't feel like there's the same sort of scrappy, brawl to come from behind to it. I dunno. Do know I'll be playing more of it I bet :)

Massa

I do kinda want to talk about PS All-Stars tbh. If you know I have the relationship and you know me, can't you listen and judge for yourself?

The problem is not us, it's you. Sure, some of your listeners are gonna look funny at you if you talk positively about it, and it would be weird around the house if you talked shit about it; either way, it's a lose-lose scenario.

But the real reason I said the problem is you is that you shouldn't trust your own opinion of a product you're closely related to. In this case your relation to that product is that you very much want it to succeed, for obvious reasons.

We're people so we're constantly rationalizing things, bending the truth just a little so it fits better with our own agenda. Journalists follow a code of ethic because they don't, and shouldn't, trust themselves to handle those iffy situations. You've seen this first hand countless times, with game developers thinking their own game was much better than it really was, and you do it over and over again yourself in your day to day life because it's what we do.

If you're interested go read the Shawn Elliott's posts I linked in this page, they're a good starting point. One of them links to an 11 minute Youtube video, which isn't much tim to spend considering the issue and that it's your career and reputation on the line.

eznark

Banned
Very true, but there was a stretch last year where it got a bit tiresome and then the kickstarter stuff.

I hope you are giving all those hipsters shit for their new found and sudden love of baseball. As a Cowboys fan, you know the importance of suffering through the low points.

antitrop

Garnett is completely unable to control himself when women are present
I love Weekend Confirmed and have been listening since episode 1 (and considerably longer if you consider 1UP Yours!), but this is entirely true to the detriment of the podcast. :(

Blazyr

I read them Massa and I'll repeat my usual; I'm not a journalist, never made claim to be.

I'm a critic--or at least I like to think I've earned that much--or if you don't think so, then say just a entertainment media person. I love games and have been fortunate to make a living from having played hundreds of them and then relating my opinion with a degree of relevant commentary built from years of doing it.

As for the success of PSASBR, yeah, it would be great if every game Ariel produced was a fantastic hit but that's a tall order. Personally, I'll always be there for her 100%, but in so far as my opinion of the games that's going to be mine to the greatest degree I can keep it that way.

End of the day, there's always our record. We talk foolishly about a game, it's there for all to see, for ever and ever. I've always been true to my internal compass.

pfff garnett is obviously bias against PSASBR. Look at him, his gaf avatar is his xbox avatar for christ sake!

I loved it when weekend confirmed and 1up yours back in the day delved into the big threads on the assorted boards.

I guess times have changed?

frequency

I want to hear Garnett's opinions about everything.

But I think before you talk about PS All Stars, tell everyone where you're coming from. Tell them you have a relationship with someone on the team. So it's out in the open and everyone knows and can decide for themselves what to think of your opinions.

Personally, I think you (Garnett) have earned my trust. I don't always agree with you but I value your opinion and I would be very interested in hearing you talk about the game - even with the relationship. It's human to have a bias and you can't really help your subconscious, but I still care for and value what you have to say.

Having a relationship with Ariel doesn't disqualify your opinions to me and I think you should be able to talk about them. I do understand why others may not feel the same but I think it's fair as long as you make it clear that there is a relationship.

I'm not sure if I explained that well...

I guess I just think you should be able to talk about anything. Just be open about where you're coming from and let the audience decide how they feel about your opinions knowing this.

Those of us who care for your opinions regardless of any possible bias will appreciate it.

Garnett, I care about your opinions because you are you. Being in the relationship you are in is part of who you are. I don't hold you (or anyone) to impossible "journalistic standards". I care about your thoughts as a human being.

EDIT: Aaaaah. I give up. I am not good at expressing my thoughts. I feel like I just repeated myself over and over again and don't really make any sense.

Sissel

I do kinda want to talk about PS All-Stars tbh. If you know I have the relationship and you know me, can't you listen and judge for yourself? Funny thing is, as I've told Ariel, I'm not completely in love with their combat system. The whole attack to just build juice to power your super is sort of weird. I mean, it encourages you to get in there and mix it up but I don't feel like there's the same sort of scrappy, brawl to come from behind to it. I dunno. Do know I'll be playing more of it I bet :)
Exactly, if they know you have the relationship and know you, they can put 2 and 2 together and figure out that your impressions of the game may be slightly more positive or easy going than they normally would. But honestly dude, you waste too much time giving complainers attention. They'll always nitpick and whine about shit. Just keep making the show and focus on the people that like it for what it is.

It's a GAF podcast thread. All people do is whine and insist they will unsubscribe yet are here week in and week out.

It happens in this thread because people don't like this podcast, but at the same time can't bring themselves to unsubscribe because of all the fond 1UP Yours memories. I know because i am one these people.

i still love you Garnett

mujun

That's probably because you know where everything is. Looking for something you havn't used before is not the same thing. XMB is objectivly easier to find things and quicker since more of it is on the surface as opposed to burried in sub menus.

I know where everything is on the PS3 as well. No way in the world you are getting onto the store and queuing up a demo in a second as claimed on the PSN store. Longer than the 360 for that sort of stuff in my experience.

ArjanN

I want to hear Garnett's opinions about everything.

But I think before you talk about PS All Stars, tell everyone where you're coming from. Tell them you have a relationship with someone on the team. So it's out in the open and everyone knows and can decide for themselves what to think of your opinions.

I agree, I have no problem with it as long as you know where everyone is coming from.

Not to jump on the Andrea hate bandwagon, but it was hilarious when she was being confronted about her stance on the Wii U tablet and all she could muster was "But...I mean...but...".

I like her as a person, just can't agree with anything she's saying. It's been said before, seems her game tastes are a bit shallow.

Top Bottom