• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weekend Confirmed Episode Whimsy | Let's All Love Loving Things

see5harp

God help them

He's full of knowledge and BS that's what makes him fun. He's a rare character but not irreplaceable; I would love to see a personality type like him on WC.

With that said I still love the show, and listening to Garnett sigh whenever the cowboys get mentioned always brings me happiness.

Of course he had some crazy ass knowledge of random ass games and celebrity gossip. That's why I loved him not because his opinions meshed perfectly with my own. Luke and the rest of the guys really railed on the PS3 at the time, and even if I agreed with them for the most part, it wasn't why I listened and loved the show. Luke was just a funny ass guy and him and Shane arguing was awesome.

DangerStepp

In 1UP Yours you had the two Xbox fanboys that ended up working at Microsoft to balance the Sony fanboy that ended up at Sony.
I'm talkin' 2006 1up Yours, man.

Luke, Shane, John, Garnett. Like God intended.

That show and GFW were lightning in a jar.

New 2006 1UP Yours! in my iTunes podcast subs was like a religious experience every week.

Fucking magical shows, they were.

Yep, with Mark filling in during a vacancy. Garnett really needs a John to call him on the stupid shit. Nothing like a Brit's cold wit to shame you into acting right.

antitrop

Unfortunately so is Julian.

To the guy above who said xcom controls better with controller on a PC, you are out of your gourd.
Huh? It totally does. Mouse/Keyboard is playable on PC, but controller is entirely the superior experience. I played maybe about 7 or 8 missions on M/Kb before plugging in the ol' DualShock 3 and turning on Motioninjoy.

mujun

*gasp* You are a son of a bitch! Take that back!

People claim that he had to be an unbearable fanboy to make up for David and Luke but man, I didn't see it that way. I don't remember him ever conceding a point no matter how reasonable it was and would never give credit to the opposition. That sort of stuff irritates me to no end. Sure Luke, David and some others might have shown a bias for the 360 but I never felt like they were so stubborn or willfully ignorant about it.

What planet are you from?

Well, I'm not from the one Sony colonizes in the dystopian future :p

antitrop

People claim that he had to be an unbearable fanboy to make up for David and Luke but man, I didn't see it that way. I don't remember him ever conceding a point no matter how reasonable it was and would never give credit to the opposition. That sort of stuff irritates me to no end. Sure Luke, David and some others might have shown a bias for the 360 but I never felt like they were so stubborn or willfully ignorant about it.

Well, I'm not from the one Sony colonizes in the dystopian future :p
Oh, you're talking about Garnet specifically. I thought you were talking about the general quality of the show.

DangerStepp

Yeah, that's true. Mine was Squadron of Shame. Loved those guys and their long talks on old games.
Would I be incorrect if I were to say that was started on the old 1up boards? I was a member there before GAF.

Miss those days because Shawn Elliott frequented often spreading his joy. But I love you guys--don't get me wrong.

I think I may go back and listen to the episode with Mitch Gitelman from FASA; most candid, uncut shit you'll ever hear.

I'll never forget hearing that episode and mouthing "Jesus" at the point Shane says,"Garnett, if John were here... you shouldn't..."

Garnett was cutting through the bullshit like a madman back then. Fucking John Stossel style.

If this is your first time hearin' this you are about to experience somethin' so cold.

DangerStepp

I was but a mere GAF lurker in 2007. O_O
Actually I lurked GAF for 4 years before I bothered registering. Good times.

1UP Yours! in 2006 was the first time I ever heard of NeoGAF.

While we're at the nostalgia circle-jerk, I miss The 1UP Show. :( A lot. :(
That's actually pretty creepy because that's the same case with me...I just decide to join earlier. :p

Weird!

MUSIC NOSTALGIA

I'm sure I listened to this 6 years ago, but who cares, I'm going to listen again. Thanks.
It hurts to hear them talk about Shadowrun, that game was so lame.
But it's so eerie in a way, isn't it?

Listen how Garnett crawls up in that ass! Where did this guy go?!

I saw that! Classic!

antitrop

But it's so eerie in a way, isn't it?

Listen how Garnett crawls up in that ass! Where did this guy go?!
I'm only 11 minutes in, in due time.

EDIT: ROFL them talking about Guitar Hero back in 2006. Garnett says that with DLC you'll be able to "make your own game". Funny that concept wasn't realized until ~Rock Band 3, which wasn't even a known brand name when this was recorded. Guitar Hero never got there.

DangerStepp

I'm only 11 minutes in, in due time.

EDIT: ROFL them talking about Guitar Hero back in 2006. Garnett says that with DLC you'll be able to "make your own game". Funny that concept wasn't realized until ~Rock Band 3, which wasn't even a known brand name when this was recorded. Guitar Hero never got there.

Oh, dude, I know! That's the best part about these old podcasts is the creepy predictions and off the wall theories of things to come.

The 360 really hadn't even taken off at the time.

The 1up show was the best.

Pure punk rock.

Another classic with Jeronimo Barrera from Rockstar

antitrop

SHANE FUCKIN' NAILS THE VITA IN 2006!

On the subject of the "next" PSP:
Garnett: "Does that mean the next PSP will be a motion control device?..."
Shane: "I think it'll be a touch panel device *dismissive laugh*"

Hit a 3-pointer 5 years from the past.

DangerStepp

SHANE FUCKIN' NAILS THE VITA IN 2006!

On the subject of the "next" PSP:
Garnett: "Does that mean the next PSP will be a motion control device?..."
Shane: "I think it'll be a touch panel device *dismissive laugh*"

Hit a 3-pointer 5 years from the past.
DUDE!

I came here to post that. Literally JUST heard that. Garnett wasn't too far off the mark with the motion/moving the device.

I'm listening while playing Dragon Age with the sound turned down.

Shane is hilarious but I didn't take much of what he said serious. He initially said that that the rumble in the DS3 felt more advanced than standard rumble.
Haha, I remember this shit. He said he was able to feel what directions explosions were coming from in the MGS4 demo, or something to that effect.

I listened to that FASA episode just a few months ago and it was awesome. The guys had so much energy and legitimate enthusiasm for the show back then. They were also real assholes though, in that episode!

Teletraan1

Banned
Xcom is playable with a controller. It is not great with a controller. It's slower, clunkier, adds steps to each action and worst of all, Firaxis designed some camera controls around it.

You actually have that completely backwards. There are extra button prompts and steps when using M/KB vs a Gamepad. The interface it totally streamlined for Gamepads. Not so much for M/KB. I am not sure if you have actually tried it from these comments you are making but I have and couldn't go back and I prefer M/KB for most games.

Scrabble

What I hate about weekend confirmed is that no one, specifically garnett, never calls anyone out on anything and half the time that dude from insomniac is on the show where everyone just nods their head in agreement to whatever bs he has to say. It's almost sickening when you think back about 1up yours and how garnett would actually have criticism whenever devs came on. Remember the shadow run dev, or when Denis Dyack was on the show? Or how about Luke Smith getting into an argument with Cliffy B?

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Makes me realise how much Weekend Confirmed is a more mature show listening back to 1UP Yours.

They do spend a lot more time being boring, if that's what you mean. Constant business talk, a million discussions of the future of MMOs. Can't get enough.

What I hate about weekend confirmed is that no one, specifically garnett, never calls anyone out on anything and half the time that dude from insomniac is on the show where everyone just nods their head in agreement to whatever bs he has to say. It's almost sickening when you think back about 1up yours and how garnett would actually have criticism whenever devs came on. Remember the shadow run dev, or when Denis Dyack was on the show? Or how about Luke Smith getting into an argument with Cliffy B?

I don't think Garnett's performance with the Shadowrun dev was something to aspire to; he got way out of control, beyond providing substantive criticism.

But overall you're right that there isn't enough productive disagreement on WC.

Garnett called out Insomniac's Borderlands wannabe game when the guy wasn't around, and then apologized to him when he showed up the next week. Why apologize for saying what most people are thinking anyway? I mainly just miss have a show full of people that actually played games all the way through.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Yeah, all dem penis/sex jokes by Garnett and co. are real mature.

One thing I really can't stand is when someone makes some kind of sexual joke and Garnett laughs off mic for 30 seconds like it's the most hilarious thing he's ever heard as everyone else tries to move along. Even if it's a genuine reaction, it's still embarrassing to listen to.

However, there were many, MANY 1UP Yours shows that were nothing but dudes laughing their balls off at unfunny jokes, so WC is an improvement is far as that's concerned.

Massa

Yeah, all dem penis/sex jokes by Garnett and co. are real mature.

Penis jokes aside, I don't think I could take a podcast with people passionately arguing Xbox vs Playstation in 2012, or who "won" E3 or whatever. And I absolutely loved 1UP Yours, but that time has passed.

Teletraan1

Banned
I just think the older 1up Yours shows had a lot of people with very different opinions and they weren't afraid of calling people out for their opinions. That doesn't seem to happen anymore. Perhaps it was a different vibe since the 1UP Yours podcasts were primarily people who worked together at 1UP every day as opposed to just being an acquaintance of Garnett.

At the same time the older show was more of a fanboyish talk over people fest. People gravitated towards Shane, Luke or John depending on what "camp" they were in because they would say outrageous shit that would rile up the listeners. I guess that pushes downloads more than just regular discussion.

antitrop

Weekend Confirmed 135 - Star Citizen, Dishonored, Hitman: Absolution, ZombiU

http://www.shacknews.com/article/76...r-citizen-dishonored-hitman-absolution-zombiu

Host Garnett Lee is away this week to attend the Nite to Unite charity event, but Jeff Cannata, Jeff Mattas are joined by special guest Xav de Matos from Joystiq to talk about a whole bunch of current and upcoming video game releases. Chris Roberts' Star Citizen project gets some love, as do Dishonored and Hitman: Absolution, and Cannata explains his growing excitement for the WiiU launch lineup, after having had some more hands-on time with the system. Finishing Moves wraps up the show proper, followed by another brief TailGate session.

eznark

Banned
You actually have that completely backwards. There are extra button prompts and steps when using M/KB vs a Gamepad. The interface it totally streamlined for Gamepads. Not so much for M/KB. I am not sure if you have actually tried it from these comments you are making but I have and couldn't go back and I prefer M/KB for most games.

Yes, I did. And as long as all you want to do is shoot you are correct, however if you want to use a supplemental ability such as suppress you have to scroll over to it and select it. With the keyboard I can just hit the number that it is assigned to. Playing with the 360 controller was significantly slower.

Space Sims are something I missed out on because I was primarily a console gamer since switching from the Apple II to a genesis as a kid (outside the Sim City games)

I really need to fix that. What was the one mentioned on the bombcast this week? X3 or something? I'll need to look into that. I might need to donate to Strike Suit Zero also

DangerStepp

Dude, look at the page before this and search my name.

Me and antitrop had a 1up Yours! nostalgia fest!

I just think the older 1up Yours shows had a lot of people with very different opinions and they weren't afraid of calling people out for their opinions. That doesn't seem to happen anymore. Perhaps it was a different vibe since the 1UP Yours podcasts were primarily people who worked together at 1UP every day as opposed to just being an acquaintance of Garnett.

At the same time the older show was more of a fanboyish talk over people fest. People gravitated towards Shane, Luke or John depending on what "camp" they were in because they would say outrageous shit that would rile up the listeners. I guess that pushes downloads more than just regular discussion.
Possibly, but you can't argue that it makes for entertaining listening when people are passionate about something.

Also, it never got completely out of hand and folks were sometimes willing to admit when something else was better and even if Shane stood by the PS3's terrible launch online because it was free; at least someone had some conviction and reason to argue. You at least had someone to root for/root against. You really felt that the discussions were brought with fire and excitement to talk about games. It felt like knowledgeable older dudes you were hanging around shooting the breeze.

I don't feel that here anymore at all; it's milquetoast. A lot of the times it just sounds like people jabbering just to him themselves jabber and it kills me to say that.

I don't even feel like I'm listening to industry insiders (though they aren't all) anymore; I can't remember the last time I heard a cool behind the scenes story or learned something cool or some new knowledge that was shared.

Deadstar

Do you know what episode this was?

DangerStepp

Do you know what episode this was?
I'm at work so I can't link you.

Go to 1up.com, click 'Shows' scroll to the bottom.

Click: Archived Shows, click 1up yours

Click the year (it should 2006). From there Ctrl + F for Mark Rein or Cliffy B.

Great episode... I re-listened to it a few months back.

Fjordson

Weekend Confirmed 135 - Star Citizen, Dishonored, Hitman: Absolution, ZombiU

http://www.shacknews.com/article/76...r-citizen-dishonored-hitman-absolution-zombiu

Host Garnett Lee is away this week to attend the Nite to Unite charity event, but Jeff Cannata, Jeff Mattas are joined by special guest Xav de Matos from Joystiq to talk about a whole bunch of current and upcoming video game releases. Chris Roberts' Star Citizen project gets some love, as do Dishonored and Hitman: Absolution, and Cannata explains his growing excitement for the WiiU launch lineup, after having had some more hands-on time with the system. Finishing Moves wraps up the show proper, followed by another brief TailGate session.
Nice. Xav is always a good guest.

I don't feel that here anymore at all; it's milquetoast. A lot of the times it just sounds like people jabbering just to him themselves jabber and it kills me to say that.

I don't even feel like I'm listening to industry insiders (though they aren't all) anymore; I can't remember the last time I heard a cool behind the scenes story or learned something cool or some new knowledge that was shared.
I can't help but feel that the staunchly independent and outspoken culture that was cultivated under Ziff Davis plays a bigger part. While I don't want to cast baseless aspersions, but I wonder if the freedom that was afforded under Ziff Davis is not quite at play here. Does the fact that they are part of a company that sells video games means that they can't be as liberal as the old 1Up days? Does the fact that Garnett is now (if I remember correctly) a Director of part of Gamefly's business operations also mean that it's not smart business to argue with industry professionals?

Or perhaps he's just older? I know that I'm no longer interested in playing part in heated conversations as I was in my 20s. I'm still passionate about subjects, I just express it physically and verbally much differently and far more subdued as I once did.

I apologize to Garnett if I'm way off the mark or have implied that they are upper management pressures when they don't exist but I think there could be multiple different factors playing part in the difference between the two podcasts and just wanted to add some possible other perspectives to the conversation

Top Bottom