• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weekend Confirmed Episode Whimsy | Let's All Love Loving Things

Is it just the current lack of games that truly interest me (outside of XCOM), or is this show getting stale?

The best part about the larger number of new releases now is Garnett can put aside his industry musings for a few weeks

Also, WC needs to rock a 4 person crew this time of year

Re: Vita - I hope someone is playing the Vita Assassins Creed along side III when they talk about it. I'd love to hear some comparisons. If it gets good reviews I plan to pick it up along side Ragnarok Odyssey

empathe

I've been trying pretty much every Vita game.
But I'm the weirdo that was still talking about the PSP while I was on the show.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Just started listening to last Friday's.

Super boring opening discussion followed a bit too closely by an extremely awkward in-line ad for audio books.

Please rethink your strategy.

Harlock

Ads are fine. The show must pay the bills.

The discussion was not great but not bad like months ago, in the "it´s party, uhuuu" episodes.

I don´t know how to say that, but... maybe... I miss Andrea.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Ads are fine. The show must pay the bills.

The discussion was not great but not bad like months ago, in the "it´s party, uhuuu" episodes.

I don´t know how to say that, but... maybe... I miss Andrea.

Ads are indeed fine when they aren't literally inserted in the middle of an unrelated thought. Did Garnett only bring up Dune so he could "smoothly" segue into the ad? Because he didn't actually say anything about Dune that helped to illustrate the point he was trying to make about Dishonored.

In any case, even if the Dune mention was totally not contrived for that purpose, DON'T PUT AN AD IN THE MIDDLE OF A DISCUSSION POINT.

The last few weeks have not been clicking with me. I can't relate to anyone on the show anymore. Garnett doesn't even seem to play games anymore and when he does he only talks down about them, Jeff K is fine for the most part, but the others range from forgettable to just bad in terms of what they say and the views they have. Most of them don't belong on radio either because they can't properly articulate their opinions without memes and innuendo.

I don't know, I might give it another month, then I am unsubscribing.

Nizz

Ads are indeed fine when they aren't literally inserted in the middle of an unrelated thought. Did Garnett only bring up Dune so he could "smoothly" segue into the ad? Because he didn't actually say anything about Dune that helped to illustrate the point he was trying to make about Dishonored.

In any case, even if the Dune mention was totally not contrived for that purpose, DON'T PUT AN AD IN THE MIDDLE OF A DISCUSSION POINT.

Haven't listened to the whole show, but I did find it a little weird how Garnett went to an ad in the middle of a discussion. I couldn't care less about ads/sponsors but the timing was off. During a natural break in discussion, sure.

I'm beginning to wonder if I haven't listened to the whole show because I didn't really care for the games being discussed. I shouldn't say don't care because Dishonored sounds pretty damn good. But I don't know...

Teletraan1

Banned
Especially when the gamepad controls for XCOM seem better than the mouse and keyboard. I actually had squad members die because I had clicked to an area that claimed I was in cover and the guy moved 1 square short, was not in cover and got smoked. The added confirmation buttons were a nightmare to deal with with a mouse. Clicking on the the button would not advance me until I found the sweet spot on the button or just hit enter. Switched to a gamepad and the game has been much better and more intuitive since it was obviously designed and QA'd for gamepad controls. The mouse and keyboard version of those controls seem tacked on, lousy and unresponsive in comparison. It reminded me of Skyrim on PC. The menus on PC were so fucking clunky to use with a mouse. The mouse would often pick the wrong spell/item/dialogue choice. I switched to a gamepad and the game felt good again. I would obviously prefer that these companies would show a bit more love to the standard PC interface and get that shit right for launch but I am not going to struggle through bad controls for some macho pc interface elitism.

DangerStepp

The last few weeks have not been clicking with me. I can't relate to anyone on the show anymore. Garnett doesn't even seem to play games anymore and when he does he only talks down about them, Jeff K is fine for the most part, but the others range from forgettable to just bad in terms of what they say and the views they have. Most of them don't belong on radio either because they can't properly articulate their opinions without memes and innuendo.

I don't know, I might give it another month, then I am unsubscribing.
You sounded off on every reason I ceased listening for now.

JaxJag

Banned
Listening to John talk about how much Dishonored's story clicked with him was just kinda baffling to me.

First, I have to admit I have never had a story effect me in anyway in a video game. Never has characters made me feel angry, or sad, but I could see how that can happen in some games like Half Life 2 I guess.

But to me at least, Dishonored doesn't really have any memorable characters. I'm not saying the cast is awful, but to me everyone was extremely shallow. The story itself is ok, not bad, solid for a video game.

But john saying that he killed characters because they angered him, and he felt emotionally drained after the game just came across to me as a little odd.

What was the song during the first break. It sounded dope and I think they mentioned the name, but I don't have access to the podcast right now.

Eminence Front!!!

I was pumping that song hard all weekend for some reason, so when that first break went into it for me today, I was rocking hard. Thanks Garnett!

It's a put on...

Also, just wanted to say that even after listening to the Bombcast it was Jeff and John on Weekend Confirmed that convinced me to buy Dishonored last night while I was listening to the podcast on the way home. So, then today, when I got to the X-Com part of the show, I did some serious second-guessing of my decision. I've already taken the plastic off the game though, so I guess my decision is made. You should have told me to wait on that purchase until the end of the show though...dammit guys.

Mrbob

The guys really need to start paying attention to deals on games. You don't even have to pay full price for a game months before launch now.

I pre ordered Halo 4 from Newegg for $44.99 awhile ago. I have Bioshock Infinite PC version on pre order for $37.99 from Newegg. Newegg is always offering coupon codes.

Other recent examples:
Pre ordered Dishonored from GreenManGaming for 45 dollars
Pre ordered Xcom PC Retail Special edition for $39.99 at Newegg
Pre ordered Hitman Absolution from Green Man Gaming for $33.74

You can pre order South Park for $33.74 (digital version) from Amazon right now. 60 dollar retail priced games are for suckers. Newegg is currently running a promotion for 12 dollars off all games $49.99 and above, including pre orders.

Can't remember the last time I paid full price for a retail game. There is always a deal going on somewhere. Deals aren't hard to keep track of either. Read GAF once or twice a day and you'll see a deal posted on the first couple pages.

eznark

Banned
Unfortunately so is Julian.

To the guy above who said xcom controls better with controller on a PC, you are out of your gourd.

XCOM is great with a controller.
The contrast between John's silly controller opinion and the bombcast this week made for a rye smiling coincidence.

Curufinwe

The guys really need to start paying attention to deals on games. You don't even have to pay full price for a game months before launch now.

I pre ordered Halo 4 from Newegg for $44.99 awhile ago. I have Bioshock Infinite PC version on pre order for $37.99 from Newegg. A ton of games on the cheap, as Newegg is always offering coupon codes.

Other recent examples:
Pre ordered Dishonored from GreenManGaming for 45 dollars
Pre ordered Xcom PC Retail Special edition for $39.99 at Newegg
Pre ordered Hitman Absolution from Green Man Gaming for $33.74

You can pre order South Park for $33.74 (digital version) from Amazon right now. 60 dollar retail priced games are for suckers. Newegg is currently running a promotion for 12 dollars off all games $49.99 and above, including pre orders.

Can't remember the last time I paid full price for a retail game. There is always a deal going on somewhere. Deals aren't hard to keep track of either. Read GAF once or twice a day and you'll see a deal posted on the first couple pages.

Is there one for AC 3?

With how often Garnett mentions Arielle, I should subscribe to her podcast. Sounds like she actually plays and finishes games. Kinda like people on this podcast did years ago.

Mrbob

Is there one for AC 3?

Yes.

Use Code --> EMCJNJD242

Expires October 18

12 dollars off all games $49.99 and above at Newegg, including pre orders. AC3 console versions for $47.99, PC version for $37.99. You might have to wait a couple days after release to get the game but it is free shipping to your home.

Chuckman

I got a kick out of John Keefer's remark, "I'm sorry, a controller on a pc is an abomination." As far as pc gaming goes, I never really understood why you would invest in a nice gaming pc, and then set it up to use on the big screen tv, and sit back on the couch and play with a controller. I want to play pc games at my desk with the M/Kb. I have a good chair and I feel it's a more immersive, intimate experience being close to the monitor, headphones on, losing yourself in the experience. I enjoy playing with the M/Kb. If I'm going to play a pc game, that's how I want to play it.

Having said that, I agree that some games are designed for and work better using a controller. I like controllers too. But if I know I'm gonna be playing with a controller, thats when I'll look to get the game on the 360 or PS3. And sure... play it on the big screen 1080p tv.

But to each his own.

John's right though about M/Kb on the PC. WASD ftw!

LiK

the whole "kb/mouse only controls for PC" is stupid as hell. dudes like to use flight sticks and racing wheels too. controllers are just another way of playing the game. people need to stop being DUMB about it.

Gattsu25

Banned
the whole "kb/mouse only controls for PC" is stupid as hell. dudes like to use flight sticks and racing wheels too. controllers are just another way of playing the game. people need to stop being DUMB about it.
For some games it literally is the best option by a large margin (like fps games) but I will admit that controllers work great for platform games

Curufinwe

They also work great for arcade racing games like Burnout Paradise, and action games like DMC 4, and sports games like Pro Evolution Soccer 2013. I also preferred using the 360 pad for RE 5 and Dead Space.

The guy made a total fool of himself.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
But if I know I'm gonna be playing with a controller, thats when I'll look to get the game on the 360 or PS3. And sure... play it on the big screen 1080p tv.

Actually, I think there are many arguments for purchasing and playing a controller-centric game on PC. I got my PC hooked up to my TV, so I'm playing comfy couch console-style with my controller while cranking up the graphics to levels 360/PS3 could never reach. Also, with the PC version you usually have access to great mods that makes the games even better.
And PC games are usually cheaper plus I like having instant access to all my games on the HDD.

eznark

Banned
XCOM is great with a controller.
The contrast between John's silly controller opinion and the bombcast this week made for a rye smiling coincidence.

Xcom is playable with a controller. It is not great with a controller. It's slower, clunkier, adds steps to each action and worst of all, Firaxis designed some camera controls around it.

LiK

Xcom is playable with a controller. It is not great with a controller. It's slower, clunkier, adds steps to each action and worst of all, Firaxis designed some camera controls around it.

I really like the pad controls but I don't get why they removed the grid on the ground when playing with a pad. it's a bit more useful.

With how often Garnett mentions Arielle, I should subscribe to her podcast. Sounds like she actually plays and finishes games. Kinda like people on this podcast did years ago.

Seriously. Sony needs to let her on the podcast

Are they afraid she'll leak some of those heavily guarded All-Stars details? :lol

see5harp

Shane is hilarious but I didn't take much of what he said serious. He initially said that that the rumble in the DS3 felt more advanced than standard rumble.

In 1UP Yours you had the two Xbox fanboys that ended up working at Microsoft to balance the Sony fanboy that ended up at Sony.
Two? All I can think of is Luke (who joined Bungie just as they left MS so eh). Che Chou? He's not 1up Yours.

Oh Big Fun. 4 Guys 1up and 1up Yours are two separate things in my mind, but sure, yeah, he went to a core MS studio.

Moofers

Not sure if anyone at WC reads this thread, but I'd like to say I enjoy the show quite a bit. The only gripe I have is that Garnett's lame pervert jokes are pretty face-palmy sometimes, but overall I really dig the show and try to listen every week. No show is perfect and for every "party" episode, there are a hundred good ones.

Keep it up, WC crew. As a fellow podcaster, I salute you.

LiK

Not sure if anyone at WC reads this thread, but I'd like to say I enjoy the show quite a bit. The only gripe I have is that Garnett's lame pervert jokes are pretty face-palmy sometimes, but overall I really dig the show and try to listen every week. No show is perfect and for every "party" episode, there are a hundred good ones.

Keep it up, WC crew. As a fellow podcaster, I salute you.

they all read this thread. :)

they all read this thread. :)

God help them

Shane is hilarious but I didn't take much of what he said serious. He initially said that that the rumble in the DS3 felt more advanced than standard rumble.

He's full of knowledge and BS that's what makes him fun. He's a rare character but not irreplaceable; I would love to see a personality type like him on WC.

With that said I still love the show, and listening to Garnett sigh whenever the cowboys get mentioned always brings me happiness.

Top Bottom