• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U can run Homebrew (HBC) on Wii mode

Durante

I wonder if there will be any chance to discover detailed hardware specs over this vector. It's probably totally sandboxed though, especially since it needs a reboot.

99% sure there will be no way to even detect the GamePad in Wii mode.

Backwards compatibility needs redeeming?

If you get access to the IOS it may be possible to write a driver for the gamepad... but it would take a lot of reverse engineering, even more so if you wanted to use the screen on it... It could take years for something like that to even be done.

(Edit) Title is very misleading. HBC = homebrew channel. You can't install the HBC in Wii mode, at least not yet. Give Marcum and team Twiizers a few weeks to find an exploit and it'll likely come though. I don't think you'll get backup loaders near as quick though.

M3d10n

If you get access to the IOS it may be possible to write a driver for the gamepad... but it would take a lot of reverse engineering, even more so if you wanted to use the screen on it... It could take years for something like that to even be done.

I doubt the IOS is the lowest level in Wii U. Nintendo learned things the hard way after the Wii security fiasco and I don't think Wii mode will be able to access any memory addresses outside the 88MBs allocated for it, just like DS games have no way to access the 3DS code that controls the quit menu when you press the home button.

This was pretty much expected, but remember that this does absolutely nothing toward Wii U specific homebrew or use of any Wii U components.

therapist

Awesome!

As people mentioned like the 3ds , this probably wont lead to anything pirate - related for wii u games...but still cool.

I wonder if wiiware and such can be installed...hmmmm

We don't know if other exploits have been patched, Wii mode contains exact the same firmware as a 4.3 Wii. Letter bomb for instance can't work but that's because the lack of (I think) message board.
Wii mode doesn't have the message board? That seems very limiting.

Madao

heh good to know.

all i need now is the USB loader running and i won't have to worry about switching games.

Revven

(Edit) Title is very misleading. HBC = homebrew channel. You can't install the HBC in Wii mode, at least not yet. Give Marcum and team Twiizers a few weeks to find an exploit and it'll likely come though. I don't think you'll get backup loaders near as quick though.

Why would Team Twiizers need to find an exploit when one already exists if you own SSBB/Lego Indiana Jones? Those two games should still work. Just throw in the hackmii installer's boot.elf into the root of the SD Card and it should boot the installer, allowing you to then install the HBC...

Unless memory stuff have moved around, the HBC should install. But hey, what do I know, I don't have the console. I'm just making educated guesses.

Berordn

Why would Team Twiizers need to find an exploit when one already exists if you own SSBB/Lego Indiana Jones? Those two games should still work. Just throw in the hackmii installer's boot.elf into the root of the SD Card and it should boot the installer, allowing you to then install the HBC...

Unless memory stuff have moved around, the HBC should install. But hey, what do I know, I don't have the console. I'm just making educated guesses.

It doesn't install with any of the old methods, which is why they need to find a new way. Homebrew can be loaded, but the Wii mode's file system is under lockdown.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

Seems the IOS may be read-only, which could throw a wrench in things.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Wow. I would effin LOVE to throw my Wii out of my entertainment center. Wishing Team Twiizers all the luck in the world!

Revven

Seems the IOS may be read-only, which could throw a wrench in things.

Ahh, okay, that would make sense... Well, I hope Team Twiizers figures out something then.

Still, it's cool Smash Stack works and can load various homebrew applications.

Revven

Great, homebrew it so we can use the damn gamepad?

The Gamepad gets shut off apparently when you turn Wii Mode on. So it's quite unlikely that functionality will be possible, especially if the team hasn't sat down with a Wii U yet to get the HBC working. But maybe they'll get it eventually.

Wait a sec...you can run Gamecube games on a SD/USB on a Wii!!?!??!?

They've figured out a way to do it, but it required some extra work to be done in comparison, like getting rid of the disc channel and whatnot to get GCN games working.

There's still some issues with what games work so I never bothered with it outside of installing a couple games for no reason.

Meesh

Does anyone know if there are currently any hackers working on a wiiu homebrew channel at this time? I realise we're only days into the launch but im excited to know especially with wii mode sounding like a back door left wide open to exploits. Future import games ahoy!!!!

farnham

Banned
I'm lucky my cluelessness didn't axe my whole account. :p

I think it was harsh to ban you as you only said to "plan" to sell the discs. A reply pointing that out could have ben sufficient imho.. But piracy is not welcomed here so i guess it was a message.

FSLink

Banned
Guys, forgive me for i know not anything tech related; i had my wii homebrewed so all my games were stored on my external harddrive etc. Are we sayung I can just pop my SD card into the Wii U and carry on as before (with exterrnal HDD hooked to wii u)?

No. HBC doesn't even work with this yet if I'm reading this right. Title should be changed. Homebrew =/= HBC.

Top Bottom