• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham City Armored Edition |OT| This Kitten haz no Zippers

BatmanWU.png

Batman: Arkham City Armored Edition
Developed by WB Games Montreal

release date:
NA: November 18, 2012
EU: November 30, 2012
JP: ???
eShop: December 13, 2012

Nintendo Site

Features:

• Battle Armored Tech Mode (B.A.T. Mode) – A new upgraded battle suit for both Batman and Catwoman gives players an additional power-up by allowing them to build up kinetic energy during combat. When activated, Batman enters B.A.T. mode, whereby he doles out more damage and has a heighted sense of enemy locations.
  • Wii U™ GamePad Functionality – The GamePad touch screen allows players to truly be The World’s Greatest Detective with the newly designed, wrist-mounted Batcomputer. Players can select their gadget, track evidence, upgrade their gear, set and detonate explosive gel, and more, all without ever leaving the game.
  • Reimagined Gadgets – All gadgets have been reimagined to utilize the power of the GamePad. For example, players can now use the new Sonar mode that enables Batman to quickly probe his surroundings to develop the tactics needed for success. Players can then select, customize and equip their preferred gadget loadout, as well as access a real-time map of Gotham without ever leaving the action of the game. The new controller also allows for an
  • GamePad Only Mode – The full game can be played directly on the GamePad, no TV is required.
  • Batman: Arkham City Game of the Year Edition Content – Included on disc are all previously released downloadable content: Harley Quinn’s Revenge Pack, Catwoman Pack, Nightwing Bundle Pack, Robin Bundle Pack, Challenge Map Pack and Arkham City Skins Pack.
  • Catwoman has no Zippers under her Armor :(

OFF TV PLAY click (A) on that icon
offtvcat.jpg

OT Note:
This game has a large open world but we are over a year late to the party, the focus on Wii U launch has been about the negatives and comparing software to other platforms, so this great game got ignored. This thread is for those playing and enjoying this game as it is. PLEASE keep it on topic of the gameplay, we need help and hints as we may get stuck in someplaces

Cat Controls
catcontrols.jpg

adding Bat Controls later... when I finish this part :3

Secrets / Cheats:

Change your Suit: (normally you would have to beat the game to get this, but why wait?)
suits.jpg

Main Menu screen (after you have selected your save file slot) use the Dpad as follows on the screen below
batmenu.jpg

Left, Left, Down, Down, Left, Left, Right, Up, Up, Down (this is for everytime you load your save file until you beat the game)
You will get an audio confirmation and when you continue your game, you will get the option to select your favorite suit (this only works after you get the suit at the start)

This code has issues when playing as Catwoman... Choose Animated Batman to play in Animated Catwoman Suit

Original Catwoman Arkham City Suit is glitched in this game's Story Mode or Nintendo got rid of the Zippers dunno but if you choose Original Batman Arkham City Suit you get Armored Cat :(
catzippers.jpg

Her Amored Suit covers all of that skin... So she really only has 3 suits you can play with in Story mode.

Default Armored Suit on Wii U
catarmor.jpg

how to get the hallowen cat updated later.

Playing in 720p reduces reported Framerate issues
720cat.jpg

will edit later as I get the info for this.

olimpia84

Loved Arkham Asylum (went 100% and got the platinum trophy) but I haven't played Arkham City yet. I think I'll wait for this version to drop in price and get it then. Off TV gamepad playing FTW.

Krakatoa

I got this from the estore over the holidays. So far I am loving it. I can't believe I was going to pass over the framerate issues.

Got this for Christmas. I'm loving it so far, no real framerate issues I can tell asside from some cutscenes. Lots to do. Detective mode with Zombiu like scanning is great too.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Passed on this for sonic racing but I'll bite when it goes down in price.

Off-Topic but, how is it? Tried the demo but with only Sonic and 2 tracks (one of which isn't even really a race per-say) it's hard to get an idea.

The Checkpoint Race in the demo is pretty brutal.

played the bejesus out of 360 version, is the new content and wiiU features worth it for a replay?

I'm trading in my dupe of NSMBU (got 2 for Xmas) and thinking of exchanging for this or tekken tag tourney 2. (have zombiU, scribble, and gaiden3)

played the bejesus out of 360 version, is the new content and wiiU features worth it for a replay?

I'm trading in my dupe of NSMBU (got 2 for Xmas) and thinking of exchanging for this or tekken tag tourney 2. (have zombiU, scribble, and gaiden3)

I've played AC twice on 360, once on PC, and I'm debating if I want to play this version now. Easily my GOTY last year and people are nuts to say AA is better.

Also the DLC is a good piece of content, not worth whatever the initial asking price was on 360 and PC but when I played it on PC GOTY it was well worth the time and fun. If you have no love for the challenge stuff though you'll be missing out on most of the additional content.

Cheddahz

Banned

Get Tekken Tag 2, probably one of the best fighters ever and the game is filled with content

A friend of mine borrowed someone else's Arkham City earlier but just got a Wii U and this version and he says he enjoys it a bit more. Cites off-TV play as being awesome.

He says the armored stuff even got a bit of voice acting about it from the same Alfred voice actor and it doesn't feel too out of place or anything, I like it when enhanced ports bother to do stuff like that.

I thought the motion controlled stuff that everyone complains about was required, but he says it's all optional which is nice...but he says he even enjoys the motion controlled targeting.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
My GOTY last year, excited to pick this version up and play through it again as TAS batman when the price drops. I still regret trading in the Arkham City (360) last year for $30. :/

BD1

Banned
I couldn't put this game down. I'm not sure the Wii U version really offers anything different enough from the original release to warrant a double dip, but if you haven't played it and you have a Wii U: BUY IT!

The frame rate does chug at certain points if your Wii U is at 1080p. I switched the system to 720p and had no issues. Pretty disappointing that I had to do that, but then, I don't really care much about things like that.

Not sure I'll get around to 100%'ing the game.

Back as Batman this game is kinda dark... Do not like the Animated Suit Batman he looks fat. Had to exit out and change to Batman Beyond skin. Looking for Mr. Freeze the side story stuff get in the way a bit.

Off-topic guys please notice this is a OT about Batman Arkham City on Wii U so please give those wanting to play this game a chance, we know the price of it... cheap ass gamer has a thread, Sonic Racing has a thread I post there, Tekken TT2 has a thread I post there too. This is my first Batman since NES/SNES I would like a place to talk about it. I know this is a Wii U thread but does not mean it does not deserve a chance to stay on topic.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Off-Topic but, how is it? Tried the demo but with only Sonic and 2 tracks (one of which isn't even really a race per-say) it's hard to get an idea.

The Checkpoint Race in the demo is pretty brutal.
Ill let you know when I finish downloading it haha

Got this for Christmas. I'm loving it so far, no real framerate issues I can tell asside from some cutscenes. Lots to do. Detective mode with Zombiu like scanning is great too.

My TV is 720P so no framerate issues anyway. Getting use to the detective mode it seems to help move the story along when I get lost. What I really love about this game is the Batman Universe fanservice. :)

Can anyone else speak about this supposed frame rate improvement if you play at 720p?

I've read on different forums that 720P is the solution I don't know what the original game resolution on other platforms are but it seems this Dev went all out trying to get 1080p on the Wii U but failed to address Framerates chugging. I only have a 720p TV, it looks great so I cannot tell you what difference 1080p would give you.

I couldn't put this game down. I'm not sure the Wii U version really offers anything different enough from the original release to warrant a double dip, but if you haven't played it and you have a Wii U: BUY IT!

The frame rate does chug at certain points if your Wii U is at 1080p. I switched the system to 720p and had no issues. Pretty disappointing that I had to do that, but then, I don't really care much about things like that.

Not sure I'll get around to 100%'ing the game.

well I guess you answered a bit about my 1080p question. I hope to get 100% but the Riddle Stuff is kinda hard for me so far.

I honestly feel sorry for people "double dipping" on this inferior port. If it offered better AA and smoother frame rate I would have jumped however after reason the technical impressions I am just surprised why people buy games multi ple times.

I honestly feel sorry for people "double dipping" on this inferior port. If it offered better AA and smoother frame rate I would have jumped however after reason the technical impressions I am just surprised why people buy games multi ple times.

It's because that stuff sounds huge and glaring in print, and then when you actually have it in front of you you just realize that the people who do those comparisons have to be pathologically anal for a living and none of the online hysteria connects with reality.

Eideka

Banned
I've seen the Wii version running and I was underwhelmed by how it looks. I'm not sure it's even on par with the PS360 version.
My little brother seems to enjoy the game though, that's all that matters after all.

And how does this help me enjoy this game that is brand new to me? Glad to know there is a better version out there but I am loving it just fine as it is.

OT title should have been: It's not the same game. It's not the same content.

I was trying to keep Reggie out of the thread and was trying help those who are enjoying the game have a place to talk about it. That title would not have helped.

This easy-mode Armored version of the game may find a new audience in people who found the original too hard somehow.

Easy mode? you know the game has difficulty settings right?

GrayFoxPL

Easy mode? you know the game has difficulty settings right?

He means you get free power boost in wii U version. No big deal really, combat is pretty easy as it is.

I finished it a week ago on free ps+ version and it's great Batman game. Voice acting, story events, characters, boss fights - something way above Nolan's adaptations imo. Enjoy!

theman5141

Neo Member
Wait, why is a game with an internal rendering resolution of 720p seeing improved performance when the Wii U isn't upscaling to 1080p?

Either something has been precluded from mention or the placebo effect is in full force.

Edit: Looks like some posters need to read the DF article, game is actually employing FXAA as opposed to no AA on 360. It's the jarring frame rate hiccups and texture loading that make this version inferior.

Mutt

Neo Member
I downloaded this on the eShop yesterday. I was surprised a MC giftcard actually worked. I figured by the time it asked for the postal code that's it but it worked. The Wii U froze about 50% of the download after 2 hours. It said error when I looked in Download Management. I had to start it all over again. It took nearly 20 hours to download the second time. I'll sum it up to it being the holdays. I only played a couple of minutes, but I'm looking forward to this game. Thanks OP for putting up a positive Wii U thread.

Wait, why is a game with an internal rendering resolution of 720p seeing improved performance when the Wii U isn't upscaling to 1080p?

Either something has been precluded from mention or the placebo effect is in full force.

Edit: Looks like some posters need to read the DF article, game is actually employing FXAA as opposed to no AA on 360. It's the jarring frame rate hiccups and texture loading that make this version inferior.

Well, DF doesn't necessarily know the full story, it is fully possible that there is some bug in the game that makes run worse if Wii U is set to output 1080p. I just ordered the game myself, having checked the DF article and some impression first. Looks like the the game is fully playble in any case, and looks a bit better than the X360 version, based on the DF video...

He means you get free power boost in wii U version. No big deal really, combat is pretty easy as it is.

I finished it a week ago on free ps+ version and it's great Batman game. Voice acting, story events, characters, boss fights - something way above Nolan's adaptations imo. Enjoy!

the fights are easy enough Ninja Gaiden fights are intense these are easy enough but the guys with the guns have been killing me left and right

I love the HUNT in this game you are in a room you pick off guys one by one
I am in the train station getting the last disrupter had all the guys down but one last guy I was stalking him and was not paying attention to my life meter he shot me.

How do you hang them upside down with a rope? Is that an upgrade if so which is it?

edit: Oh shit I just restarted and was found under the grate
also earlier I got killed by a helicopter thinking I could mess with them

I guess no one else is playing this or this thread got too off topic

I was just reading the Mass Effect (PS3) OT and saw that a great old game can have an OT please don't tell you guys don't love this game I am still having a blast.

I am 40% into the story according to records, what is the best place to grind your level so I can upgrade my stuff? The game seems to save the guys I beat up so the area gets cleared.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
We'll end up buying the Wii U version when it hits a lower price point. $39.99 at a few stores around Toronto during Boxing Day, but I must wait for it to go lower.

I guess no one else is playing this or this thread got too off topic

I was just reading the Mass Effect (PS3) OT and saw that a great old game can have an OT please don't tell you guys don't love this game I am still having a blast.

I am 40% into the story according to records, what is the best place to grind your level so I can upgrade my stuff? The game seems to save the guys I beat up so the area gets cleared.
Don't grind, just keep advancing the story. This version already gives you the power armor easy-mode crutch, it shouldn't be difficult.

Razlo

I just beat this yesterday. I really liked the Gamepad uses, they were immersive & sold the you're Batman premise better. I was also pleasantly surprised that despite having cool Gamepad features you could still swap to playing on the Gamepad only whenever you wanted.

I'm actually one of the few people that waited to play this on Wii U because of the promise. I wasn't disappointed.

Nice to hear someone waited for those features... I kinda like flying the batarang around and knocking dudes down from a far distance lol

Don't grind, just keep advancing the story. This version already gives you the power armor easy-mode crutch, it shouldn't be difficult.

what? I want to see the cool stuff in one play through and what is this power armor thing people keep talking abut? Is that the electric fist thing? This game is no Ninja Gaiden like I said before but I just want the cool gadgets upgraded to max I can't come back later I still have so many long games to get to.

I found my first glitch during the end of the Bane thing lol things went all wonky he ran towards the exit door after we fought the guards he just kept this running animation so I thought maybe he wanted to go out I opened the door and walked out expecting more guys outside but no one was out there went back inside looked around but Bane was invisible I walked to where he was support to be got the prompt to talk and there was one last guy I had to knockout and the segment went on as planned

lol I guess I am having fun with glitches

olimpia84

Still waiting for a price drop to get this. I could easily buy this for the PS3 right now on the cheap but I'd rather have the extra features and off TV gameplay. Framerate issues don't seem to be that bad from what I've seen and read.

Top Bottom