• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Suicide Squad: Kill The Justice League Still An Arkham Game At Its Core, According To Rocksteady

havoc00

Since it was first announced, Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League has attracted criticism for its focus on live-service gameplay elements. In a new interview, studio product director Darius Sadeghian spoke more about Rocksteady's decision to embrace this new direction for its co-op multiplayer game, as well as the DNA it shares with the Arkham series.

"We knew we wanted to make a four-player co-op game, so we spent a lot of time iterating on our characters," Sadeghian said to Play Magazine (via GamesRadar). "For us, it wasn't so much about making a game in any particular genre. Rather, the focus is on creating a sense of flow and trinity between all our gameplay systems. That's reflected in the way the traversal, melee, and shooter elements all blend together when you're playing."

Sadeghain added that Rocksteady is aiming to build a global community around the game, an idea that has been at the "core" of Suicide Squad's development over the years. Players can look forward to social features and can compete against each other to climb to the top of the online leaderboards when the game launches. Sadeghian also avoided calling Suicide Squad a live-service game, adding that the studio doesn't "think of our game as fitting with any particular label" and is "full of the DNA that infuses the Batman: Arkham series."

Rocksteady has outlined its post-launch plans for Suicide Squad, as players will be able to unlock new outfits, emotes, and other cosmetic items through the battle pass. Similar to the battle passes in other live-service games, there'll be a free tier that's available to all players and premium tiers that require an optional in-game purchase.

Additionally, there'll be new story content, playable characters, missions, gear, weapons, cosmetic items, in-game events, and more added to the game for free after launch. A post-launch offline mode is also in the development pipeline.

Fake

not funny middle finger GIF by Martellus Bennett

JPSLotus97T

Since it was first announced, Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League has attracted criticism for its focus on live-service gameplay elements. In a new interview, studio product director Darius Sadeghian spoke more about Rocksteady's decision to embrace this new direction for its co-op multiplayer game, as well as the DNA it shares with the Arkham series.

"We knew we wanted to make a four-player co-op game, so we spent a lot of time iterating on our characters," Sadeghian said to Play Magazine (via GamesRadar). "For us, it wasn't so much about making a game in any particular genre. Rather, the focus is on creating a sense of flow and trinity between all our gameplay systems. That's reflected in the way the traversal, melee, and shooter elements all blend together when you're playing."

Sadeghain added that Rocksteady is aiming to build a global community around the game, an idea that has been at the "core" of Suicide Squad's development over the years. Players can look forward to social features and can compete against each other to climb to the top of the online leaderboards when the game launches. Sadeghian also avoided calling Suicide Squad a live-service game, adding that the studio doesn't "think of our game as fitting with any particular label" and is "full of the DNA that infuses the Batman: Arkham series."

Rocksteady has outlined its post-launch plans for Suicide Squad, as players will be able to unlock new outfits, emotes, and other cosmetic items through the battle pass. Similar to the battle passes in other live-service games, there'll be a free tier that's available to all players and premium tiers that require an optional in-game purchase.

Additionally, there'll be new story content, playable characters, missions, gear, weapons, cosmetic items, in-game events, and more added to the game for free after launch. A post-launch offline mode is also in the development pipeline.

That they are coming out to say it's an Arkham game at its core is more damage control. This is going to be a colossal failure.

I will not be buying this GAAS crap.

I'll miss you Rocksteady. We had good times.

Fast And Furious Brian Oconner GIF by The Fast Saga

Yumi

Yikes. Not interested in what the producer is highlighting here. Live service elements with leaderboards?

I wish he went into the “DNA that fuses to Arkham”, but I got a feeling it’s just the aesthetics.

Nydius

That they are coming out to say it's an Arkham game at its core is more damage control. This is going to be a colossal failure.

Exactly what I thought as I was reading it. This reads like the same damage control that was done for games like Anthem and Marvel's The Avengers. Yet another studio being ripped away from its core competency (solid single player narrative games) and being shoved into making a GaaS "live service"/"years of engagement" kind of mediocre game.

Rocksteady now gets to sit in the same corner with BioWare and Crystal Dynamics.

dave_d

At this point a better statement for them to release about this game is the following "Suicide Squad kills the justice league, well it probably doesn't cause cancer."

kyussman

Hey guys,this video game that is a completely different genre is totally the same as the other games we made,honest!Rocksteady,please shut the fuck up......we are not fucking idiots,you are really starting to insult our intelligence with this nonsense.You sold out your fans to make a cash grab looter shooter,it will die a quick death and you should all be ashamed,lol.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
So in how much trouble will Rocksteady be if this games fails to sell appropriately? Will lay offs or company shutdown be on the table?

Last edited:

nbkicker

Feel so bad for rocksteady being forced into this, absolutely loved asylum and city then knight to me things were going downhill with the overuse of the bat tank, and now a dc shooter that nobody wants this is gonna be redfall all over again.can see this doing worse then wb gotham knights, Coming into my 50s cant see me playing another rocksteady game again which is sad

So in how much trouble will Rocksteady be if this games fails to sell appropriately? Will lay offs or company shutdown be on the table?
You would hope one bomb wouldn't kill a developer, but with the way the budgets for GAAS games are going, it could be possible.

Last edited:
"full of the DNA that infuses the Batman: Arkham series."...

& this statement is full of the dna that infuse public relations bullshit. which leaves us where, exactly?...

MiguelItUp

But when you look at how the game looks, plays, and it's overall vibe... saying such a thing sounds like a total reach.

angrod14

Platinumed Arkham Knight a couple of months ago. Very cool game but you could already see some elements foreshadowing Rocksteady's downfall. The game was plagued and bloated with cheap DLC. Gave me some Evolve PTSD type of shit.

Jennifer Lawrence Reaction GIF

Seems very unlikely with everything shown with people zipping around and jumping. Characters with guns that never were known to have. Just a weird mashup of a game. Really should of done a suicide game like Arkham but instead we got this gaas game. Which doesn't make sense since WB released Gotham Knight to do this type of game.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
You would hope one bomb wouldn't kill a developer, but with the way the budgets for GAAS games are going, it could be possible.
I would hope so too but with the amount of closures and lay offs we had in the past year I'm not so sure anymore.

Last edited:

nbkicker

Hate to hear about studio closures or layoffs, but at the end of the day its there own company's fault, make a game no one wants and this is what happens. Company greed and people with no idea running them

Rockondevil

From everything I've seen the closest thing to Arkham is the fact they have Harley Quinn in it.

As a massive fan of the Arkham games I can't see any way I'd ever buy this. Give it to me for free and I'll give it a go, but I won't be buying anything.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Just release this turd already to stop wasting everyone's time and start working on a new singleplayer game, whether it's the next proper Arkham title or that abandoned Superman game.
It’s GaaS game so mostly gonna spend more time creating more “content” for it rather than working on the next game.

FunkMiller

Gold Member

The two lads who started Rocksteady fucked off because of this ongoing abortion, so I doubt the company is going to be in great shape if (when) the game flops. Definite layoffs, and if they continue to try to prop the stupid thing up for a long time, it could kill the company completely. Sounds like Warner Bros want them to be a GaaS company from now on, so no loss if it does happen.

Last edited:

Ywap

Why not make it one of the weekly free games on Epic store upon launch?

Then somebody might accidentally claim it, install it by mistake and finally start it up by pressing the wrong icon in the quick launch menu.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I always wonder what the developers really think in situations like this. Like, obviously they know it is tied to their careers. They are professionals. They want to make the best games. They have to choose to believe in themselves and try their best to make a great experience. They know tens, maybe hundreds of millions of dollars are being invested. You want to make good on that. You have a legacy to keep. So in that sense, they might actually be fooling themselves.

On the other hand, they play games. They are in the industry. They have to smell it like anyone else. They know they are being forced to make something that nobody wants. They know that their best efforts are like those of a man desperately trying to woo a woman who finds him an unattractive loser. They have to know that there is never going to be a "global community" around an online co-op beat-em-up based on the Suicide Squad. That shit ain't happening. They have to know it through every day they go to work and talk to each other like it can happen because they need it to happen.

It's sad.

Last edited:
Top Bottom