• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF Custom Model Contest #3 |OT| - Power Mech - Autobricks Unite!

Status
Not open for further replies.

LEGO GAF Custom Model Contest

Idea: to face of in a hardened custom creation battle where the winner takes all and everyone else gets a pat on the back.

Aim: Having fun and improving our brick building skills on the way.

Rules: One cheapish set (that is still readily available) is chosen to give everyone a level playing field. From the parts contained in this set (including the spares that come with the box) a custom creation is to be built, no further theme or model limitations are placed. The custom model should however be of your own design and not blatantly copied from somewhere else, getting inspiration and ideas is of course permissible. Using parts not contained in the chosen set is not allowed.

Timeframe: The contest will last one month from the start date, plenty of time for everyone to get the required set and start building. The custom model should be posted in the contest thread by the final date and the OT will be updated with links to the corresponding post. Each entry should contain no more than 5 pictures including one that also shows the pile of left over parts. Every member only gets to submit one entry, alternate builds can be bragged about after the contest deadline is over. Your original entry and post can be edited at will till the final deadline. Remember to take good photos of your model, I would recommend you try and find a uniform background and as much light as possible.

Start Date: 2013-01-27
End Date: 2013-02-28 2400 CEST​

[edit]
Voting is now open here

[edit2]
Votes are counted and the results can be found here

Submission:
To ensure I don't miss an entry you can always drop me a PM with a link, also if you are unhappy with my choice of name for your model, don't hesitate to give me the official name of your creation.

Face-off: The winner is then chosen by popular vote. For one week after the OT has been updated with the finalised entries and the voting round is officially opened by the OP voting can commence.
Every voter has exactly 6 votes:
- one worth 3 points
- two worth 2 points
- three worth 1 point
You give your favourite Model 3 points the two runners up 2 points each and have another 3 points to distribute amongst the other entries.
By what measure you rate the entries is entirely up to you.

Previous Contest:
LEGO GAF Custom Model Contest #1
LEGO GAF Custom Model Contest #2

Current Contest:
LEGO GAF Custom Model Contest #3
By popular vote.
Model to be used: 31007-1 - Power Mech
MrsKE0m.jpg

Number of pieces: 223 (+0)
Number of colours: 12 (dat green!)

More information:

Where to buy:
xVOpcGs.jpg
Buy at Amazon.com (19.97$)

rqyu4gu.jpg
Buy at Amazon.co.uk (12.81£) third party shop + 1.99£ postage

aIl4HhP.gif
Buy at Amazon.de (19.99€) available from the first of february

many other places too. So check your local retailer, they might even have it on sale, you never know!

Participants and their entries: (last updated 2013-02-28)
If you find an error, in Names or links please let me know.

018 - Harry Potter - Stove/oven with range
030 - Calm Killer - Storm Chaser
046 - Tedesco! - Surveillance/Johnny-5 Type Robot Drone Thing
048 - DrForester - Tron Cycle
060 - FoxMcCloudDS - Camera (and a roll of film)
066 - Winnie the Pimp - "Emerald Fortress" High Security Prison
072 - whatsinaname - Escape from Green City:Sector III
075 - Ironmask - Tractor
081 - PhoncipleBone - Brick-209
086 - Jassoneyu - XF-2451 Walking Tank
095 - SillyEskimo - Praying Mantis
097 - :Motorbass - Boombox
102 - Tempy - Creature From The Lime Green LEGOon
114 - Diggeh - The Powerhouse Mech!
126 - ruxtpin - Snakehead
133 - Torhthelm Tídwald - GALAKHOTH THE ALL-DEVOURING
137 - neonglow - Green Upright Vacuum Cleaner
140 - RepairmanJack - Mean Green Dragster
142 - FliXFantatier - Tow Truck
145 - ChaChaChaChia - Frog and Prey
154 - PalaceBrother - Kermit
159 - ghostmind - Cosmic Serpent
160 - BentBricks - Micro Army
163 - FillerB - Royal Cyclopian Society's Mark III Walking Device
167 - R-User! - Turtle Terrorship
176 - Baka Zeitgeist - Master Chief's Helmet
177 - Bakkuma371 - The Green Envy
179 - RichardAM - Baby Dragon
192 - robjoh - Death Race Car
202 - Steenbock - BeetleMech
204 - nny - Football Stadium
213 - NintendoGal - Transformer

Prize Pool:
If you want to contribute to the Prize pool feel free. Any member can volunteer something for the prize pool if he or she so chooses, no obligation in any way. The final winner gets first dibs on one prize and that then continues down the line depending on the number of prizes.
Each prize is donated by a member in a certain country for free and no personal gain, and he or she will have to pay additional postage, so keep that in mind and perhaps choose a prize, whose generous giver is located in your country in order to minimize the postage cost.
No limits on what the prize could be, a LEGO set, a DVD or a cruise through the Mediterranean.

Current Generous Donors:
z3mCl0l.jpg
FliXFantatier - LEGO 31004 - Fierce Flyer
2x8vCjO.jpg
ghostmind - LEGO 30164 - Lex Luthor & LEGO 30211 - Urukhai
xVOpcGs.jpg
PhoncipleBone - LEGO 30250 - Ewar & LEGO 30111 - Harry Potter
xVOpcGs.jpg
R-User! - LEGO 30059 MTT & LEGO 30251 Winzar's Pack Patrol
xVOpcGs.jpg
whatsinaname - LEGO 9461 - The Swamp Creature

Past Generous and Glorious Donors:
UParjGb.jpg
FliXFantatier (2)
xVOpcGs.jpg
MisterNoisy (2)
yWydJFD.gif
nny
xVOpcGs.jpg
PhoncipleBone
rqyu4gu.jpg
RichardAM

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
I am going to definitely be in this one. IDK how creative I can be anymore though. This will be the first thing I have built from my own mind since I was 14. I will be 30 in August so its been about 15 years...

Spocker

Been planning on buying this set (and most of the other 2013 Creator ones), so i'll see if I find the time and ispiration to make an MOC

I am going to definitely be in this one. IDK how creative I can be anymore though. This will be the first thing I have built from my own mind since I was 14. I will be 30 in August so its been about 15 years...
With all the sets you have bought this last year, you will be fine. You will find yourself using all sorts of new techniques you never tried as a kid. Trust me. It is extremely rewarding.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Okay a couple questions. Do we have to use all of the pieces? I've spent the last three hours playing around and I'm pretty happy with the results, but I have about 27 pieces left over. Do I have to incorporate them?

Do I post the images in this thread or send them via pm to the op?

Calm Killer

With all the sets you have bought this last year, you will be fine. You will find yourself using all sorts of new techniques you never tried as a kid. Trust me. It is extremely rewarding.

You were absolutely right. I just started puttin stuff together with no clue what I was gonna do. No plan. It started to come together and I realized if I moved some stuff around I could use certain parts in certain places. Amazing actually.

Okay a couple questions. Do we have to use all of the pieces? I've spent the last three hours playing around and I'm pretty happy with the results, but I have about 27 pieces left over. Do I have to incorporate them?

Do I post the images in this thread or send them via pm to the op?

You do not have to use all the pieces.

Post your pics here. No need to PM anybody.

Cyan

Banned
Suggestion: you might want to put the model you're using in the thread title, instead of a generic title. Especially with this one, it might stir up some interest!

Suggestion: you might want to put the model you're using in the thread title, instead of a generic title. Especially with this one, it might stir up some interest!

good idea, I am trying to come up with a good Transformers pun... nothing so far.

nice stove there Harry :)
love the red glow on the inside. ^^

First original creation I've made in 15 years probably. Go easy on me!

*pics*

Great job. The red glow inside is a very nice touch. I am also seeing many parts I have never seen in a set before, which excites me greatly.

good idea, I am trying to come up with a good Transformers pun... nothing so far.

Power Mech-More Than Meets the Eye

Power Mech- A Second Rate Springer Knock Off.
(For those that were not Transformers nuts, here is Springer)
springer.jpg

Power Mech- All That is Missing is an Autobot Symbol

Cyan

Banned

The simple route would be: "LEGO GAF Custom Model Contest #3 |OT| - Power Mech". You do still want the contest part in there. ;)

Let me know if you do want to go with another title, and I'll change it for you.

Nah, not really a LEGOer. I just thought I'd stick my oar in. :p

:(

But this could be your gateway drug. A small lil set to dip your toes in and just have a little fun. And then open up your wallet to a horrifying and financially painful addiction.

Yes, I am trying peer pressure. :)

Power Mech bought. Will be building the regular design and start playing around with what I want to make later today.

Great stove Harry, that was fast!

Calm Killer

I made a Storm Chaser. The people that follow Tornadoes around. This is also my first original creation in 15 years so go easy on me as well. Images below.

8422878903_e589acff5f_c.jpg

Storm Chaser with Antenna on top.
8423971524_d253dba5fd_c.jpg

8423972684_ab1f2c03be_c.jpg

8422882179_2fd78590fb_c.jpg

8423974762_fcda71ac72_c.jpg

Antenna Removed and on the floor. The antenna can rotate as well. Couldn't really capture that in a photo.
8422884161_a57fdf8ef9_c.jpg

Antenna mounted for travel.
8422885713_a1361b6c6b_c.jpg

8422887019_dfb51c088b_c.jpg

Left over pieces.
8422888029_b5918416ae_c.jpg

Calm Killer

that looks awesome, like something from mad max :D

Thanks. I looked up storm chaser vehicles after I built the vehicle mostly. I had the antenna mostly built but didn't know what do make it. I had though gas tanks first. Then I remembered the movie twister and thought OHHHH i can make it a storm chaser. This is an antenna. It worked out great.

Power Mech bought. Will be building the regular design and start playing around with what I want to make later today.

Great stove Harry, that was fast!

Great job. The red glow inside is a very nice touch. I am also seeing many parts I have never seen in a set before, which excites me greatly.

Thanks guys!

Calm Killer, that storm chaser is top notch.

robjoh

Ordered my set yesterday. So if it arrives in time I will join the MOC competition.

I am a noob when it come to serious MOC building of Lego and most of my Lego is temporary transfered to the children of my brother (I mostly have a lot of old school pirate lego). However I found the Lego Creator line year and I really like it. So when I noticed that GAF had a Lego group I wanted to join in. I hope you wont be laughing to much at my attempt to do a MOC

Ordered my set yesterday. So if it arrives in time I will join the MOC competition.

I am a noob when it come to serious MOC building of Lego and most of my Lego is temporary transfered to the children of my brother (I mostly have a lot of old school pirate lego). However I found the Lego Creator line year and I really like it. So when I noticed that GAF had a Lego group I wanted to join in. I hope you wont be laughing to much at my attempt to do a MOC
We will never laugh. There is something to learn from everyone's entries. New ideas and techniques you never thought of, but also a glimpse into the minds of other builders.

Calm Killer

It is all about fun man. We are by no means experts in what we do. We are just like you trying to learn new things and have fun doing it along the way. Don't fret about being laughed at, that will never happen.

ruxtpin

Banned
I'm going to try and swing by my local Lego store to pick the set up today. Also! ... I've got a crapload of movies/games that I'll be getting rid of soon, so I can try to see if any might make worthy prizes.

robjoh

We will never laugh. There is something to learn from everyone's entries. New ideas and techniques you never thought of, but also a glimpse into the minds of other builders.

It is all about fun man. We are by no means experts in what we do. We are just like you trying to learn new things and have fun doing it along the way. Don't fret about being laughed at, that will never happen.

I forgot a :) after don´t laugh to much, I was not that serious but thanks for the warm welcome. I think it will be great to join the competition as there is not many adult Lego fans were I live in Sweden.

MisterNoisy

Got the set and will look around for something to donate to the prize pool (US).

Liking the entries so far, and as far as the set goes, there's some pieces in this set that I haven't seen before and a nice variety of elements overall, so that's always a good thing. :)

Both entries here are really cool, the storm chaser's a nice looking vehicle and the oven is just such an original idea to me.

I wasn't planning on participating, not having built anything original with Lego for a decade now probably, but I think I may just order this set now and see what I can figure out.

Tedesco!

Here's my contribution, a surveillance/Johnny-5 type robot drone thing.

sCK9ufA.jpg

qu78UvU.jpg

This was a bit more difficult than I expected. This was also the first my first time taking a shot at doing something like this. It was fun...

Calm Killer

Here's my contribution, a surveillance/Johnny-5 type robot drone thing.

sCK9ufA.jpg

qu78UvU.jpg

This was a bit more difficult than I expected. This was also the first my first time taking a shot at doing something like this. It was fun...

That is pretty cool. You just have me some more ideas on how to use some of these parts. I might have to buy another one now.

Jasoneyu

Man I can't wait to build something with this kit. I haven't done a MOC since the last challenge. Great submissions so far!

Trying desperately to pull off this one idea I had the second I saw two specific pieces stuck together as I emptied the bags. Been building and tearing down repeatedly today trying to crack it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom