• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF Custom Model Contest #3 |OT| - Power Mech - Autobricks Unite!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steenbock

Neo Member
The tiny, but deadly (and fully articulated!), BeetleMech!

0GTLr7B.jpg

3EViHHq.jpg

FNPY3Qn.jpg

nny

nny where is your entry?!?

This was a close one; I managed to get a set just a few days ago and build something!

So...when I saw the predominant green color of this set two things came to mind: grass and Legend of Zelda's Link. Since Link is more interesting than grass, I built a Link:

DSC08359_zps2dc3a821.jpg

I'm especially proud at how I managed to hide all the studs.

OK, seriously now. Returning to the other item this set reminded me of - grass - where do you find lots of grass? A football stadium!

DSC08339_zps5cfbc1a0.jpg

This is a stadium with two stands, one on each side of the field, and a big screen behind one of the goals.

View from one side...

DSC08344_zps5c4d4d7c.jpg

...and the other side:

DSC08345_zpsb0af37f6.jpg

Top view:

DSC08353_zps19a047c5.jpg

Remaining pieces:

DSC08356_zpseda771be.jpg

...and that's it! Uf, right on the final day, I thought I wouldn't be able to make it this time.

Ironmask

This was a close one; I managed to get a set just a few days ago and build something!

So...when I saw the predominant green color of this set two things came to mind: grass and Legend of Zelda's Link. Since Link is more interesting than grass, I built a Link:

DSC08359_zps2dc3a821.jpg

that's some serious SNOT work over here!

joke aside, i really like your stadium, well proportioned and maybe the best micro-scale model of this contest

One thing i have learned to include for sure next time is a minifig, they make EVERY MOC better instantly ;)) it adds humor/emotion which is a + for every entry!

I was actually going to suggest we ban it next time. I don't particularly care either way, but I'd be lying if I said it didn't affect my selections.

The tiny, but deadly (and fully articulated!), BeetleMech!

0GTLr7B.jpg

Steenbock! Bringing it at the 11th hour! Man there are some good entries this time.

I wasn't trying to endorse it per se, personally though I don't mind, I will go with whatever the majority wants.
complaints have been minimal so far though...

FillerB

I wasn't trying to endorse it per se, personally though I don't mind, I will go with whatever the majority wants.

Extra option then for the voting round? Allow minifigs for posturing yay/nay? I can see how using a nice one might give an unfair advantage. Hell, my entry would be a perfect example as it doesn't look nearly as good as it does now if you left the pilot out.

Ironmask

Since i was the first one to add a minifig on my model, let me explain that it was for size-reference and to show its mini-fig compatiblity. Personally if a model is minifig compatible is a big plus, that's why i bought the Sonic Boom instead of the Sopwith Camel when i had the chance.

Maybe let's see the results to know if it's really a contest-breaker and therefore bannable on future contests.

robjoh

I used one minifig, as other did it and it gave me the advantage to get the scale of the driver seat correct in my MOC. So I must say that it might be an unfair advantage, especially if you have some really nice minifig.

Mayby allow it for this round, as there was no real complains in the thread, and state it more clear in the rules that it is not allowed in the next MOC contest. For me it does not matter that much as I can see past the minifig, and I am for the moment going to vote for people that does not have a minifig so...

I know I'm slightly late, but I hope a late entry would be permissible. Was working on school work/homework as well as freaking out over the fact we'll need to replace the radiator in our car (just found out tonight!), lovely.

Anyway, even if the entry isn't allowed, I figured I'd share anyway since I had a bit of fun creating this one.

1.jpg

2.jpg

pile.jpg

I don't know what it is aside from a robot that transforms into a vehicle. :)

The hip swivel is completely unnecessary, but adds some fun pose-ability I thought. Apologies for the crappy cellphone photos, I wanted to get this up before midnight, but that didn't happen.

I know I'm slightly late, but I hope a late entry would be permissible. Was working on school work/homework as well as freaking out over the fact we'll need to replace the radiator in our car (just found out tonight!), lovely.

Anyway, even if the entry isn't allowed, I figured I'd share anyway since I had a bit of fun creating this one.

1.jpg

The hip swivel is completely unnecessary, but adds some fun pose-ability I thought. Apologies for the crappy cellphone photos, I wanted to get this up before midnight, but that didn't happen.

Nice one. It looks like a preying mantis robot.

AMUSIX

Just looked over the voting thread, have to say, amazing work from everyone.

Glancing at the suggestions, I see Fierce Flyer a lot, and looking at the set, its easy to see why. However, purely as a spectator, I'd cast my meaningless vote for a Friends set, just to see what would be created with them (as their pieces seem so specific).
Also, is that one helicopter set really GAF colors?

Glancing at the suggestions, I see Fierce Flyer a lot, and looking at the set, its easy to see why. However, purely as a spectator, I'd cast my meaningless vote for a Friends set, just to see what would be created with them (as their pieces seem so specific).

This guy knows what's up!

Just wanted to say, thanks for letting me enter slightly late. I know I won't get any votes due to how many cool entries there are, but I just wanted to participate. :)

I really wanted one of those Chima polybags too!

FillerB

...However, purely as a spectator, I'd cast my meaningless vote for a Friends set, just to see what would be created with them (as their pieces seem so specific).

A Friends set would indeed be cool to see what comes out from it, but I wonder how many people would enter if the necessary set could be considered "girly".

Do you mean this helicopter? Looks neat.

Just wanted to say, thanks for letting me enter slightly late. I know I won't get any votes due to how many cool entries there are, but I just wanted to participate. :)

Don't be so negative. I'm sure you'll get atleast a couple of votes since your transforming robot is pretty cool/cute-looking.

FillerB

There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of interest in voting so far. Was it like that for previous contests?

Looking at the stats provided by Flix in the previous result-threads (#1, #2)

Contest #1 said:
Number of Entries: 44
Number of Votes: 35
Total Points given: 346
Number of Posts in the original Thread: 425
Contest #2 said:
Number of Entries: 20
Number of Votes: 17
Total Points given: 170
Number of Posts in the original Thread: 145

It seems we're doing "better"/are on track when compared to the previous contest with 14 votes for 32 entries.

There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of interest in voting so far. Was it like that for previous contests?

A lot of people vote towards the end of the voting period.

Looking at the stats provided by Flix in the previous result-threads (#1, #2)

It seems we're doing "better"/are on track when compared to the previous contest with 14 votes for 32 entries.

Wow, look at that drop off in entries from the first contest to the second.

I think the consensus was that the first two contests were too close to each other.

A lot of people vote towards the end of the voting period.

I think the consensus was that the first two contests were too close to each other.
That was my theory as well. Too close together, it kind of blended in.

I still think we should do a themed contest next with strict guidelines. Opens it up to nearly anything, and people could use their own bricks without having to buy anything unless they wanted to.

mrkgoo

1.jpg

2.jpg

pile.jpg

Heh this is cool.

I have taken a back seat in the last two contests, because it pains menu can't enter with those sets!

What pains me more us that they were both cool sets and I'd buy them if I saw them now.

Ironmask

OMG forgot to vote, i'll do it now!

mmmmmh Friends set, not only i'm a big supporter of the set, but i have plenty of experience with them due to my little daughter :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom