• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch Dogs Will Be Out This Holiday For ‘All Home Consoles,’ Leaked Poster Says

"All Home Consoles" makes me think this could end up being a cross-gen game. 360 & PS3 (and possibly WiiU) get a slightly scaled back version of the massive next-gen experience. I'm confident they'll release a PC version as well.

And don't kid yourself, nobody is actually considering the OUYA a "Home Console" yet. Though if this gets big enough, why not make a fun little Android side-game? Hack shit with QR codes or something.

I really think that the Gamepad as a hacking device might get a great implementation. Just look at the "god mode" in the NFS. Touch to switch the traffic lights, touch to interrupt communications ... should be the right thing to do. I am getting this on Wii U if it will be available.

This. I'd buy it for the Wii U and the hacking device would fit the gamepad really well.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Halo 4, Uncharted 3, God of War 3, Beyond: Two Souls, Red Dead Redemption, etc.

Here's what a car looks like in The Last of Us:

Joel-hit-with-plank.jpg

Here's what a car looks like in Watch Dogs:

Do you really not see a tangible difference in the basic things in the environmental entities, let alone the physics?

iavi

Technical discussion aside, I just want to see a trailer. Nothing gets you hyped for a title like Ubi's trailers.

I wonder if we'll see this show up at Sony's conference on the 20th.

Quentyn

Kotaku just updated the story with a statement from Ubisoft.

"Ubisoft is pleased with the response for Watch Dogs from media and fans. The game is an original IP that has been created from the ground up at Ubisoft Montreal with inspiration from many titles and ideas the studio has worked on throughout the years."

I think that they'll hide the current gen versions until release if they really do release it on them. No way will they want images, gifs and videos of it floating around in its current gen form.

Kimawolf

What? The footage we've seen is the enhanced PS4/720 version. The 360/PS3 versions will be downgraded.

That's the problem, most people all assume its not, they assume its the 360/ps3 version that's been shown not the next gen versions of the game and it looks impressive, but not a big enough jump, not like what we saw from PS2 to PS3. And that's going to be something they'll have to continue to overcome.

KaiserBecks

You can't compare it to games like Halo 4 though. GTAIV and Saints Row are the best comparisons, and Watch Dogs looks generations ahead of those games.

Saint's Row? Sure. But let's not forget that nobody's giving that series any praise for performance or graphics anyway. GTA however is running Euphoria, which is one of the few things that really excited me this generation.
Watch Dogs looks what a game should look like this year. It doesn't give me any "Samaritan" next gen vibes though. And it wouldn't be the first game that looked better during its first presentation than the actual finished product.
People see rain and explosions during a heavily scripted mission and tend to get ahead of themselves.

Here's what a car looks like in The Last of Us:

Joel-hit-with-plank.jpg

Here's what a car looks like in Watch Dogs:

Do you really not see a tangible difference in the basic things in the environmental entities, let alone the physics?

Perhaps some of us are more visually in tune than others, know what details stand out and what's new. I think some people are looking at Watch Dogs from a different perspective, but where WD really makes a difference is in the details, the small things that we haven't seen in current console games before, animations, effects, etc.

As a full package, nothing we have currently matches up to WD.

Zen

Banned
Makes sense, it really looks like an up ported current gen game. Which is probably exactly what it is.

As a full package, nothing we have currently matches up to WD.
Small details because of system power, sure, but it looks completely possible to run and run well on current gen machines with appropriate polygon cuts. There's nothing next gen about it, and the models look decided average current gen but afforded more breathing room. It base certainly doesn't compare to something like The Last of Us. Which would blow Watchdogs away were it running on 'next gen hardware'. Heck Watch Dogs looks comparable to something like Sleeping Dogs, just more scene complexity and increased values on sparks.

Kotaku just updated the story with a statement from Ubisoft.

So they didn't say shit? Great lol.

That's the problem, most people all assume its not, they assume its the 360/ps3 version that's been shown not the next gen versions of the game and it looks impressive, but not a big enough jump, not like what we saw from PS2 to PS3. And that's going to be something they'll have to continue to overcome.

It's most likely a launch game. They will start to look much better as developers get their bearings straight with the hardware. It's exactly the same every gen.

iavi

Saint's Row? Sure. But let's not forget that nobody's giving that series any praise for performance or graphics anyway. GTA however is running Euphoria, which is one of the few things that really excited me this generation.
Watch Dogs looks what a game should look like this year. It doesn't give me any "Samaritan" next gen vibes though. And it wouldn't be the first game that looked better during its first presentation than the actual finished product.
People see rain and explosions during a heavily scripted mission and tend to get ahead of themselves.

Sleeping Dogs maxed out on the PC looked almost as good in many of it segments. There's no reason to believe Watch Dogs won't look as good as it did in the presentation by time it hits.

It's not a Killzone E3 scenario.

Amir0x

Banned
Hope it turns out well; looked pretty impressive from the videos, and I'd love to see that parity across PS4/720... PC version being definitive, naturally. Wii U version is obviously going to be borked by comparison so that one is unfortunate.

MisterHero

Is it reasonable to wish that next-gen could eliminate performance vices like slowdown and long loadtimes?* Installs could help, but after a few installs anywhere between 1-20GBs per game, that solution will require more hard space. What are the chances PS4/720 will start counting storage in terabytes?

If we can't have optimal performing games, will publishers have learned anything from past generations? Maybe Nintendo is trying to get around this by dismissing such large games altogether, but that's probably worse for 3rd-parties. :/

*I ask this because GTA always had the same problems, and W_D might be no different by being an open-world game.

Amir0x

Banned
Is it reasonable to wish that next-gen could eliminate performance vices like slowdown and long loadtimes?* Installs could help, but after a few installs anywhere between 1-20GBs per game, that solution will require more hard space. What are the chances PS4/720 will start counting storage in terabytes?

Zero chance of a built-in terabyte solution; maybe like PS3 you can bring your own HDD that has those sorts of sizes, however.

And of course slowdown/framerate/resolution issues will remain; we're not quite out of those woods yet. Maybe another two gens we'll get there, but there will always be SOME developer who pushes the limits of the current tech.

So will the PC version be as good looking as the Duran/Ogre version or will the PC version be gimped?

Ubisoft's been good as-of-late with making high-end PC ports. Far Cry 3 looked miles better than the 360 or PS3 version, and imagine that'll be the case here as well. I don't see any reason for it not to be on-par.

Thoraxes

If we can't have optimal performing games, will publishers have learned anything from past generations? Maybe Nintendo is trying to get around this by dismissing such large games altogether, but that's probably worse for 3rd-parties. :/

*I ask this because GTA always had the same problems, and W_D might be no different by being an open-world game.
I'd rather they go with the Nintendo model and let you bring your own external to the party, but that's just me. I already own a 2 TB, so it'd be worthless for me to buy something where they jack up the price for more storage.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
IdeaMan to the rescue.

Yes, it was the "branded next gen game coming to Wii U" i was talking about since a while now :)

The real question is which version it will be (concerning the Wii U), as there are definitively a high-end one and a current-gen one.

Last time i heard, it was between, a bit better here and there than the current gen version, but not up to the next-gen one unfortunately. This situation could improve though (with the familiarization of Ubi's team to the Wii U hardware, SDK's, etc.)

ozfunghi

Yes, it was the "branded next gen game coming to Wii U" i was talking about since a while now :)

The real question is which version it will be (concerning the Wii U), as there are definitively a high-end one and a current-gen one.

Last time i heard, it was between, a bit better here and there than the current gen version, but not up to the next-gen one unfortunately. This situation could improve though (with the familiarization of Ubi's team to the Wii U hardware, SDK's, etc.)

Called it! (in a PM to Ideaman, lol)

But anyway, hopefully if they took their time they can achieve a similar bump as Criterion did with NFS.

What, you feel that GRAW PS2/Xbox didn't hold up well? :p

[IG]http://assets1.ignimgs.com/2006/03/31/tom-clancys-ghost-recon-advanced-warfighter-20060331034805121-1457684.jpg[/IMG]

[IG]http://assets1.ignimgs.com/2006/03/08/tom-clancys-ghost-recon-advanced-warfighter-20060307070034519-1429310.jpg[/IMG]

Yeah, I just can't imagine that the current-gen versions will look anything like the versions that'll appear on the PS4, next Xbox and PC. It doesn't take much to confuse people that aren't as informed about the industry. So someone might watch a video of the next-gen version and then see media for the current-gen title and think that it's gone through a massive downgrade.

Eideka

Banned
Wasn't some multiplat PC games gimped when the 360 was released?

Not that I know of, care to name one ? I heard DA looked better on 360 but I don't think it will happen this time given that current PC hardware is already more powerful than the next-gen consoles.

MajorGravy

Neo Member
I'm so excited for this freaking game! :3 Love the direction Ubisoft went in this gen. (save for the DRM fiascos) most of their games this gen were awesome. I'm glad the AC team is working on something crazy such as this. :) If only we could see something like the Sprawl trilogy in video game form. Will definitely pick it up as either a next gen launch title or PC.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

Great! Looking forward to the wii U version. I really hope they can get the maximum out of Wii U.

Zen

Banned
someone page John Harker please, to confirm this!

It looks like a next gen game that will be downported...

Well to be even more accurate, it looks like a multiplatform game that has been developed with next gen versions as the lead, but built from day 1 to also arrive on the PS3/360. It still looks like a fantastic game, both in terms of gameplay and graphics, day 1.

majik13

any hints at WiiU specific features? I know everyone wants to hack and use the touchscreen for a bunch of cool stuff. I would be very surprised if it doesn't do something like this.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
It's a good thing pre-order bonuses are up ages before the game actually hits.

Top Bottom