• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create sales 11/20-11/26

Kirby's really chugging along nicely, and that's a decent debut for Jeanne D'Arc. I guess some people are cringing about Love and Berry, but I don't really see the games that sell like that taking the place of traditional games. Instead, games like that are adding to the overall size of the gaming pie. It's reaching out to a largely untapped market, and I'm all for market expansion. If someone could do the same thing over here, it would be a great sign for the industry in general.

The Xbox 360 games are doing nicely, relatively speaking. And while the PS3 sales are not great, they'll be up sooner or later. I bet everyone involved wishes there were more PS3 systems out there, but that's the way it goes. Sometimes you get the bear, sometimes the bear gets you. Hard to believe how bleak the Japanese game industry was only a few years ago.

castle007

Banned
Segata Sanshiro said:
Kirby's really chugging along nicely, and that's a decent debut for Jeanne D'Arc. I guess some people are cringing about Love and Berry, but I don't really see the games that sell like that taking the place of traditional games. Instead, games like that are adding to the overall size of the gaming pie. It's reaching out to a largely untapped market, and I'm all for market expansion. If someone could do the same thing over here, it would be a great sign for the industry in general.

The Xbox 360 games are doing nicely, relatively speaking. And while the PS3 sales are not great, they'll be up sooner or later. I bet everyone involved wishes there were more PS3 systems out there, but that's the way it goes. Sometimes you get the bear, sometimes the bear gets you. Hard to believe how bleak the Japanese game industry was only a few years ago.

are you ban dodging???

Sean*O

What's the general feeling over there in Japan toward the PS3? Is there any anger at all over Sony's decision to build the machine with so much emphasis on conquering the USA movie market?

Is there any resentment over the price and numerous delays?

Is there anything about the PS3 in the press over there that is positive or negative, along with general word on the street?

I'm going to have to agree with Cactus Jack on this one... a lot of Wiiners are sounding like the P-P-P-P-PSPWNED peeps back in 2004 when they said PSP would destroy the DS because it was outselling it due to shortages.

In 3-4 years, I just have no choice but to agree with Cactus.

ANYWAYS, Kirby Squeak Squad is now over 300k (even > 350k). The DS is now a good system at selling REAL games.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
Mr. Pointy said:
Wait, these are real?

Reading the posts following the numbers i would have to say, yes. Yes, those numbers are perfectly factual.

LanceStern said:
I'm going to have to agree with Cactus Jack on this one... a lot of Wiiners are sounding like the P-P-P-P-PSPWNED peeps back in 2004 when they said PSP would destroy the DS because it was outselling it due to shortages.

ANYWAYS, Kirby Squeak Squad is now over 300k (even > 350k). The DS is now a good system at selling REAL games.

Looks like it's time for you to raise the bar. 400k is now the new standard, am i rite?

ethelred

LanceStern said:

Oh my god.

LanceStern said:

People weren't saying that the PSP would destroy the DS due to shortages; they were saying that the PSP would destroy the DS because it was a handheld that had the Playstation logo on it.

It's slowly proving it ethel.

I was disappointed when Canvas Curse severely underperformed compared to GBA kirbys, but now look: a TRUE Kirby game is on track to be one of the highest sellers in a while, and it might just break 500k in Japan alone. That's great.

Love and Berry sells 400k, Final Fantasy's sold over 800k, Tales of Tempest has gotta be around 130k (which really detracts from 3rd party DS sales potential theory), Winning Evelen at around 130k....

I retract my whole statement. Nintendo's still gotta get some of those big name 3rd party franchises to get up in the sales. If not 300, get me at LEAST 230k

NintendosBooger said:
People weren't saying that the PSP would destroy the DS due to shortages; they were saying that the PSP would destroy the DS because it was a handheld that had the Playstation logo on it.

When DS started selling A BUNCH O LOT in 2005 Christmas and then major dropped, PSPeeps started saying DS ran out of momentum when really it was just shortages.

Dreamcast outsold PS2 a month in the US due to shortages. No way am I comparing Wii to DC, but I'm just saying I'll give the win to Sony.

Nintendo knows how to keep it's handheld dominance. Sony knows how to keep console dominance. At least if they drop that price.

Deku

Banned
if those hw numbers are true, 360 is doing exceedingly well. When was the last time it sold over 10k?

and PSP and PS2 seems to be sinking into new lows.

LanceStern said:

...When PSP was outselling DS, it wasn't due to shortages.

LanceStern said:
Nintendo's still gotta get some of those big name 3rd party franchises to get up in the sales. If not 300, get me at LEAST 230k

What's wrong with you?

ethelred

LanceStern said:

It was proven a long time ago. Your inane 300k benchmark had nothing to do with it, though.

LanceStern said:
I was disappointed when Canvas Curse severely underperformed compared to GBA kirbys, but now look: a TRUE Kirby game is on track to be one of the highest sellers in a while, and it might just break 500k in Japan alone. That's great.

It is great, and comparing games against prior entries is a more fair and accurate way of gauging sales success.

LanceStern said:
Love and Berry sells 400k, Final Fantasy's sold over 800k, Tales of Tempest has gotta be around 130k (which really detracts from 3rd party DS sales potential theory), Winning Evelen at around 130k....

I retract my whole statement. Nintendo's still gotta get some of those big name 3rd party franchises to get up in the sales. If not 300, get me at LEAST 230k

It... has done that. They continue to do that. You even named one of them right above that silly statement.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
LanceStern said:

Dude, the installed base is growing rapidly. Get with the times, man. 300k is old and busted, 400k is the new hotness.

Joe Molotov

LanceStern said:
When DS started selling A BUNCH O LOT in 2005 Christmas and then major dropped, PSPeeps started saying DS ran out of momentum when really it was just shortages.

It wasn't because of shortages, it was because the DS didn't have Nintedogs or Brain Training or Animal Crossing yet.

LanceStern said:

Dreamcast outsold PS2 a month in the US due to shortages. No way am I comparing Wii to DC, but I'm just saying I'll give the win to Sony.

Nintendo knows how to keep it's handheld dominance. Sony knows how to keep console dominance. At least if they drop that price.
You seem really sure of yourself. I'll bet you a one month ban that at the end of 2007 and 2008 the Wii will still be beating out the PS3 worldwide. This will be based on Media Create, NPD, and the best data we have available for Europe. Deal?

Edit: Edited for boldness

LanceStern said:

Tempest is shit and doesn't deserve to sell 130k. Winning Eleven DS is also shit. Also, the DS made Tamagotchi Corner Shop a big name franchise, so you can expect to see Bamco run it into the ground within the near future.

Branduil

LanceStern said:

kyon02021mvtd1.gif

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Mr. Pointy said:
Tempest is shit and doesn't deserve to sell 130k. Winning Eleven DS is also shit. Also, the DS made Tamagotchi Corner Shop a big name franchise, so you can expect to see Bamco run it into the ground within the near future.

Within the near future? They put out 2 in much less than a year, and are about to release the Wii version. It's already in the ground now.

bmf said:
You seem really sure of yourself. I'll bet you a one month ban that at the end of 2007 and 2008 the Wii will still be beating out the PS3 worldwide. This will be based on Media Create, NPD, and the best data we have available for Europe. Deal?

Edit: Edited for boldness

No. I don't do ban bets. That's tacky. Not to mention we'd be waiting for 2 years. You might be dead by then and the videogame industry could implode.

Deku said:
if those hw numbers are true, 360 is doing exceedingly well. When was the last time it sold over 10k?

and PSP and PS2 seems to be sinking into new lows.

PSP yes, but the PS2 is simply graying by now.

No no no it's still not there yet ethel. Only 2 companies have succeded in getting titles over EVEN 300k in Japan and that's Namco/Bandai and Square Enix. Each with essentially only ONE title. Sega has recently joined them, and Atari (if we had updated numbers) would also succeed.

DS, with a 12.5 million installed base (rough yea), should not only have 3 third party companies with one game selling over 300,000. I like aesthetics. I like the roundness of 300k, but I'd rather not break out into this again.

Who knows what it'll take, but man... Tales of the Tempest and Winnning Eleven... Xenosaga and Resident Evil.... these titles should be doing BETTER than what they are and did do. They are popular in Japan, and they have a mucho grande popular system backing them up.

But I'm almost over it, because these DS titles sure are selling a lot in the long run. And Kirby especially cheers me up ^_^

AdmiralViscen said:
Hey look, a publisher saying that even a PS3 game only has to sell 500,000 worldwide to turn a profit:

"only" do a half million units? well then! oh wait, half a million is a fuck of a lot.

Yamauchi

Banned
I think the PS3 can win in the long run, especially with FF13 and DQ9. But I still think the Wii will be a major success.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Yamauchi said:
I think the PS3 can win in the long run, especially with FF13 and DQ9. But I still think the Wii will be a major success.

DQ9 has been announced for PS3?

Kobun Heat said:
"only" do a half million units? well then! oh wait, half a million is a fuck of a lot.

"Only" is relative to the asinine statement that a DS game has to sell 300,000 in one territory to make a profit.

oh uh...360 is actually getting attention in japan.

now i really do wonder if they can gain more momentum to actually challenge nintendo and sony in japan...

LanceStern said:
Who knows what it'll take, but man... Tales of the Tempest and Winnning Eleven... Xenosaga and Resident Evil.... these titles should be doing BETTER than what they are and did do. They are popular in Japan, and they have a mucho grande popular system backing them up.
Dude, you've got to understand that a lot of games on DS simply will not sell 300k in Japan because they're either too niche or, as seen with the first 3 games you mentioned, shit or, as seen with the last game you mentioned, ports of 10 year old games. They can, however, easily make a profit off of these on the DS because it doesn't cost a company much to make a DS game.

Front Mission DS won't sell 300k because it's a port.

Hotel Dusk won't sell 300k because it's a niche title.

Naruto SND4 didn't sell 300k because it's shit.

ethelred

LanceStern said:
No no no it's still not there yet ethel. Only 2 companies have succeded in getting titles over EVEN 300k in Japan and that's Namco/Bandai and Square Enix. Each with essentially only ONE title. Sega has recently joined them, and Atari (if we had updated numbers) would also succeed.

DS, with a 12.5 million installed base (rough yea), should not only have 3 third party companies with one game selling over 300,000. I like aesthetics. I like the roundness of 300k, but I'd rather not break out into this again.

So again, there were only 35 successful games in 2001, 34 successful games in 2002, 33 successful games in 2003, 37 successful games in 2004, and 35 in 2005.

The Japanese game industry is in straits far more dire than I had realized.

Dragmire

This Love and Berry game shows that demographics for games are expanding quite a bit in Japan. A lot of people say consoles =/= handhelds, but I think Wii will inevitably mirror DS's success to a great extent. I don't know if that means Nintendo will overtake Sony even after PS3 supply catches up to demand, but there is a chance.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
AdmiralViscen said:
"Only" is relative to the asinine statement that a DS game has to sell 300,000 in one territory to make a profit.

In fairness, I don't think he said they needed that to turn a profit, I think it was more that they needed to sell that to be considered a good seller.

AdmiralViscen said:

I never said to make a profit. I said to be a success, in my eyes ^_^

But then it's relative. Lost Magic's 50,000 and Age of empires 70k in the US is a success, while Digimon Stories >200k in Japan is also a success. But WE, Children of Mana, Tales of Tempest, Sonic Rush (Japan), Advanced Wars (US) etc are painful for me :*(

Yamauchi said:
You're waiting for this announcement? :lol

Not so sure if they'll be as willing to spring that much dough for the development of a DQ game, especially given that this generation is more of a toss-up.

ethelred said:
So again, there were only 35 successful games in 2001, 34 successful games in 2002, 33 successful games in 2003, 37 successful games in 2004, and 35 in 2005.

The Japanese game industry is in straits far more dire than I had realized.

If you subtract Nintendo franchises and Square Enix franchises from there, then yes I'd be very scared. hell, throw out the Tales titles as well.

Yamauchi said:
i have no idea who will win this gen or whatever, but sony will need to create some new big sellers or they'll be in trouble. The problem nintendo has had for ages is relying on the same games over different generations for sales, sony could have the same problem. Everyone knows mario, and final fantasy will sell, it'll be something new which wins this generations, well thats my view anyway.
hardcore forum gamers don't decide who wins, popular masses do, and if berry card collecting games are popular, then so be it.

Top Bottom