• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Studios' creative director has some choice words about always-online

blackflag

Might as well cancel the single player development of halo if the alwaysonline console does get revealed.
I'm pretty sure microsoft would rather have a good employee who broke a factual NDA, rather than A PR mess, caused by someguy who's been hired for a little over a year.

Amazes me how so many don't get this.

To be fair, very few people in the thread asked for his head. And I really doubt the vast majority of GAF wants to see him lose his job.
Most of us probably don't care about the guy. It's all about what he said, how he said it and what it means. It's also all about eating that sweet, sweet popcorn, of course.

Schadenfreude
ːdənfrɔɪdə is pleasure derived from the misfortunes of others.

He put himself in a fireable position by developing a PR mess as a MS employee. Yeah it really sucks to lose a job. But we don't owe him anything. The company policy itself and his defense of it was the issue that can't be reversed.

Pennywise

Wait........, this guy posts on GAF?!

GAF attacking it's own?

Truly it is the way of things.

WgVHms8.jpg

This was posted and detective Gaf found something sweet.
Sweet Billy :>

Soriku

Dat recap. Wow.

But more importantly right now,

Edit: Crap I don't know how to embed the image. Whatever. Going to bed.

I don't understand the outcry TBH. I feel like this has been the move Microsoft has been going for since Xbox.

It's a closed platform made to make you use as much money as possible. It never has been about choice or freedom of choice. I don't understand why some people get that idea. I think a lobbyist figurehead VP of marketing is only going keep going down this route as long as people keep forgetting to vote with their wallets.

People are quick to say boycot, but when it actually comes down to it, many people seem to cave in to the status quo. I think Microsoft is going to get their way unless they really screw up, or fail hard in other areas of pushing this machine, and I think many naysayers are going to buy it, and forget that this was ever an issue.

I'm always online with Origin and Steam, and it doesn't bother me. My right to sell my own games? Nothing I own is truly mine. I'm merely borrowing these carbon atoms that my body consists of before it will be used by some other sentient species to fuel their machines in the future. Nobody owns anything other than the Master of the Universe, and I don't know about you, but I haven't seen He-Man for a while.

rakhir

Yeah, I'm probably going back to sony next gen, after jumping from PS2 to X360 this generation.

I didn't plug my 360 to the internet for the whole first year, I didn't really needed it for playing single player games, and didn't want to buy that horrible, expensive wifi dongle.

jorma

is now taking requests
When his 'personal opinion' DIRECTLY RELATES TO THE PRODUCT HE'S SUPPOSED TO BE SELLING/REPRESENTING it has everything to do with his job.

Imagine I worked for OREO cookies and tweeted 'OREO cookies will cause sexual dysfunction if you so much as sniff one' how could that been seen as merely a 'personal opinion' and to be ignored?

If he blew the whistle to the public that those cookies caused sexual dysfunction if you sniffed on them, i would laud him as a hero and demand a statue be risen in his honour.

Thorgal

I wonder what shinobi is thinking right now

he has unleashed a revolution of titanic proportions against MS.

also this picture is pretty accurate of what GAF has caused to happen .

cGp5r.jpg

Someone. please photoshop that guys avatar head on the old man while putting shinobiS avatar on the little kid.

unbias

I don't understand the outcry TBH. I feel like this has been the move Microsoft has been going for since Xbox.

It's a closed platform made to make you use as much money as possible. It never has been about choice or freedom of choice. I don't understand why some people get that idea. I think a lobbyist figurehead VP of marketing is only going keep going down this route as long as people keep forgetting to vote with their wallets.

People are quick to say boycot, but when it actually comes down to it, many people seem to cave in to the status quo. I think Microsoft is going to get their way unless they really screw up, or fail hard in other areas of pushing this machine, and I think many naysayers are going to buy it, and forget that this was ever an issue.

I'm always online with Origin and Steam, and it doesn't bother me. My right to sell my own games? Nothing I own is truly mine. I'm merely borrowing these carbon atoms that my body consists of before it will be used by some other sentient species to fuel their machines in the future. Nobody owns anything other than the Master of the Universe, and I don't know about you, but I haven't seen He-Man for a while.

Always online comes with built in expectations and inferences, it also comes with its share of problems(if you have not read about all the cloud issues in 2012 I would advise reading up). Also not everyone lives in the east or west of the US, a lot live in the center where internet is shit. The content control that is implicated with always online DRM in this industry has rarely ever turned out well.

dosh

Schadenfreude
ːdənfrɔɪdə is pleasure derived from the misfortunes of others.

He put himself in a fireable position by developing a PR mess as a MS employee. Yeah it really sucks to lose a job. But we don't owe him anything. The company policy itself and his defense of it was the issue that can't be reversed.
I still think most of the comments in this thead are reactions to the actual content of the tweets, and not people brandishing torches in front of the castle and asking for him to be fired STAT.

People are saying he might lose his job over this, sure. That doesn't mean they want him to.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I'm not sure where that poster who does thread recaps is -- but I'll try my best..

• NeoGAF user Shinobi screen caps the tweets of Adam Orth, Creative Director at MSFT Studios.
  • These tweets contain the fallacious analogies you see in the OP -- in defense of an always-online console box.
  • In conjunction with the Kotaku thread about the always-online rumors, this thread blows up.
  • The story is picked up by popular gaming sites including CVG, Verge, Kotaku, and others.
  • David Jaffe attempts to defend the character of Adam (they were former coworkers) -- but particularly his comments regarding rural towns in the US and their online infrastructure.
  • Adam attempts to excuse the tweets as jokes and locks his twitter account.
  • Detective-GAF then finds an alleged dev on a separate forum claiming one should keep up with their ISP bills (implying some truth to the rumor).
  • Detective-GAF then confirms that alleged dev to be an actual developer working on next-gen games.
  • The story continues to blow up on reddit, reaching the front page with thousands of comments.
  • A user in the reddit thread claims Adam is an ass in person and he insists on being called 'sweet billy.'
  • Detective-GAF then confirms Adam is in fact, sweet billy, here on GAF.
  • Aaron Greenberg claims to be unaware of the existence of Adam Orth. [Insert Sweet Billy joke]

WgVHms8.jpg

This was posted and detective Gaf found something sweet.
Sweet Billy :>

holy crap

I'd go so far as to say I never understand comments like this tbh. How is it difficult to understand? Being persistently connected to something that, for many of us, is still very temperamental and fluctuating, is a bum deal. It is not, as the Microsoft rep is insisting, like plugging in electricity.

Steam is a sore point for me. It might be different now, but I remember when I hiked my laptop up to my grandparents house for the holidays. Tried to start Steam, and bang. "You cannot start this game in offline mode". You had to be online before you booted Steam up. Also, if your Steam app stops working for any particular reason, and you're not around a point of access, you're also fucked. I think it's important to understand that, whilst internet might be readily available for you all the time, and not be occasionally temperamental, you are not everyone.

EYEL1NER

Followed this thread all night at work (and now that I am at home I can log in)...man this has been a wild ride.
I understand why he will get canned and agree with it, but I still feel a tiny bit bad for the guy. I mean, he fucked up; my mouth has certainly gotten me in trouble before and I know what that feeling is like, that "Oh....shit. What did I just say?" feeling. But yeah, massive fuck up regardless.
MS brought it on themselves a bit though, letting these rumors circulate and keeping quite. Everyone wants to get hyped about new consoles. We used to have what, a year and a half to two years of hype before a console launch? It would get announced at an E3 and then the following year get released? This late in the gen, people are anxious to get new consoles and MS is playing it like they are Apple, like they can reveal a console and then drop it a week later. It frustrates some people and then with rumors like "always-online" going around... It has just been a bad deal.

I've owned a couple 360s and currently have almost 500 retail 360 games on my shelves. My PS3 and Wii barely get touched. I have paid for Live for 6 years I think? I own and like my Kinect. And when I am not up in the middle-of-nowhere in Greenland and am back in the 'States, I have pretty reliable internet.
But if "always-online" happens, I'm out. Or at least I am at launch anyway. I will only buy the Durango late in the gen and more than likely try to get a used console.
Something as anti-consumer as what this is looking like it will become is not something I want to support.

Anyway, hopefully some good things happen ITT while I am away, maybe some more BIZ*TAKE moments. And hopefully I am able to get my taxes done while at work tonight, since F-5ing this thread took up all my time.

Top Bottom