• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Studios' creative director has some choice words about always-online

Followed this thread all night at work (and now that I am at home I can log in)...man this has been a wild ride.
I understand why he will get canned and agree with it, but I still feel a tiny bit bad for the guy. I mean, he fucked up; my mouth has certainly gotten me in trouble before and I know what that feeling is like, that "Oh....shit. What did I just say?" feeling. But yeah, massive fuck up regardless.
MS brought it on themselves a bit though, letting these rumors circulate and keeping quite. Everyone wants to get hyped about new consoles. We used to have what, a year and a half to two years of hype before a console launch? It would get announced at an E3 and then the following year get released? This late in the gen, people are anxious to get new consoles and MS is playing it like they are Apple, like they can reveal a console and then drop it a week later. It frustrates some people and then with rumors like "always-online" going around... It has just been a bad deal.

I've owned a couple 360s and currently have almost 500 retail 360 games on my shelves. My PS3 and Wii barely get touched. I have paid for Live for 6 years I think? I own and like my Kinect. And when I am not up in the middle-of-nowhere in Greenland and am back in the 'States, I have pretty reliable internet.
But if "always-online" happens, I'm out. Or at least I am at launch anyway. I will only buy the Durango late in the gen and more than likely try to get a used console.
Something as anti-consumer as what this is looking like it will become is not something I want to support.

Anyway, hopefully some good things happen ITT while I am away, maybe some more BIZ*TAKE moments. And hopefully I am able to get my taxes done while at work tonight, since F-5ing this thread took up all my time.

Great post. :)

Sera O

Banned
If he blew the whistle to the public that those cookies caused sexual dysfunction if you sniffed on them, i would laud him as a hero and demand a statue be risen in his honour.

The way he works it would be more like, "If you think about it sexual dysfunction is a total benefit. Why would anyone want to get erections? Only yokels have sex anymore; I'm growing my kid in a tank."

This thread man
areyouserious.gif

Lol. Those analogies were so shit. Comparing using a mobile phone, that is made to connect to other people over a network, to a fucking game console created for your entertainment. How the fuck are people still allowed to use Twitter, hahaha.

Toki767

What might be the funniest part about all this is he was probably at work and instead of working, he chose to keep talking on Twitter.

Mindwipe

Followed this thread all night at work (and now that I am at home I can log in)...man this has been a wild ride.
I understand why he will get canned and agree with it, but I still feel a tiny bit bad for the guy. I mean, he fucked up; my mouth has certainly gotten me in trouble before and I know what that feeling is like, that "Oh....shit. What did I just say?" feeling. But yeah, massive fuck up regardless. <snip>

Yeah, great post. I've been told off for things on Twitter by work once or twice, but nothing this bad thankfully.

But to be honest I just feel sorry for him that he's been dumb enough to make himself the fallguy face of this policy, while all the other people who'll have actually made the decision sit and hide.

Has anyone considered that the "always online" aspect could be restricted to the social and media apps and not just for playing games? Perhaps their os in the durango is made so that there would be online popups regarding twitter, facebook or anything in general or am I just living in a dream world here?

jorma

is now taking requests
The way he works it would be more like, "If you think about it sexual dysfunction is a total benefit. Why would anyone want to get erections? Only yokels have sex anymore; I'm growing my kid in a tank."

Yup, it wasn't my analogy :)

But i'd still think it was a good thing that this information came out. I reckon the pitchforks should rather be directed at microsoft.

Toki767

Has anyone considered that the "always online" aspect could be restricted to the social and media apps and not just for playing games? Perhaps their os in the durango is made so that there would be online popups regarding twitter, facebook or anything in general or am I just living in a dream world here?

While I think we can all agree that always online doesn't strictly mean DRM and could be used for things like those, that isn't at all what the guy implied.

wildfire

Banned
Microsoft's Three Fallacies that they are basing Next Gen around:

A)Tons of people bought Kinect, therefore, tons of people love Kinect and want another Kinect.

WRONG. You packed it in Microsoft, which is why it sold, and then you did nothing with it. It is a complete joke to many, and those who like it will not need any reason to upgrade so their kids can swim in lava and hit balloons in 1080p.

B)Most of our valuable Xbox 360 users have online capabilities, therefore they will be fine with being always online.

WRONG. Just because we have online doesn't mean we want to be held hostage by it. Most amusing is that MS has seen Diablo and Simcity and yet they don't care.

C)Used games are evil and if we ban them, more gamers will buy our 60-70 dollar copies.

WRONG. Watch this fall flat on its face when there is no turnover game economy and less and less of your games are being purchased by those who used to roll one game into the next.

We already know they are going for A), almost have B) confirmed, why on earth would we doubt C)?

I don't really see the validity of (B) Microsoft is just as in the dark about Blizzard's sales predictions as we are. Without any of us knowing those expectations MS can easily look at how well those games sold relative to everything else that came out around the same time and feel more confident that people don't care about having always online.

Their only mistake here would be forgetting that the hardware is pointless without compelling software to use on it. But since they seem to be keeping a bunch of developers and publishers in the dark about this always online feature to ensure they get that software they have that base decently covered.... for now.

Gee no surprise this thread is still going strong.
I was thinking though about something I'm sure most people in the Western world especially N. America take for granted, refrigeration.
How many people worry about it always being on? How many wonder when they shop for groceries for the week or two weeks or the month, think about if their refrigerator will stop working because the power went off for hours at a time. I'm not saying I agree or disagree with always on for a console, but the internet is quickly becoming less of a luxury and more of a utility.

ElyrionX

Yeah if the console is always-online I am probably out.

I had no issues with Diablo 3 being always online because I was never going to play it offline anyway but a console requiring an internet connection is just dumb. There are so many types of situations wjere this would be a complete pain in the ass to deal with and no, I will not support something so anti-consumer.

tassletine

For all you guys feeling sorry for him. I think the important thing to realise is that this guy is indicative of the company he keeps (as he clearly thinks nothing is wrong).

This is a "Let them eat cake" moment for Microsoft and will have serious repercussions. Always online was always going to be problematic, but with customer care and arrogance like this it's going to be disastrous. They are clearly deluding themselves in order to further a dodgy business strategy.

AmFreak

I understand why he will get canned and agree with it, but I still feel a tiny bit bad for the guy. I mean, he fucked up; my mouth has certainly gotten me in trouble before and I know what that feeling is like, that "Oh....shit. What did I just say?" feeling. But yeah, massive fuck up regardless.
MS brought it on themselves a bit though, letting these rumors circulate and keeping quite. Everyone wants to get hyped about new consoles. We used to have what, a year and a half to two years of hype before a console launch? It would get announced at an E3 and then the following year get released? This late in the gen, people are anxious to get new consoles and MS is playing it like they are Apple, like they can reveal a console and then drop it a week later. It frustrates some people and then with rumors like "always-online" going around... It has just been a bad deal.

I've owned a couple 360s and currently have almost 500 retail 360 games on my shelves. My PS3 and Wii barely get touched. I have paid for Live for 6 years I think? I own and like my Kinect. And when I am not up in the middle-of-nowhere in Greenland and am back in the 'States, I have pretty reliable internet.
But if "always-online" happens, I'm out. Or at least I am at launch anyway. I will only buy the Durango late in the gen and more than likely try to get a used console.
Something as anti-consumer as what this is looking like it will become is not something I want to support.

Anyway, hopefully some good things happen ITT while I am away, maybe some more BIZ*TAKE moments. And hopefully I am able to get my taxes done while at work tonight, since F-5ing this thread took up all my time.

The question here is, can someone really be this dumb?
Revealing a huge negative thing about the next XBox on twitter and then joking and making awful comparisons that don't work? Every gaming site will report this. Either they can now become heroes when they reveal the next XBox and it doesn't need an internet connection or someone can really be this dumb.

Thorgal

this is a direct warning to the game industy :

detectiveGAF is always watching
your every move is known to us
No matter how deep you hide something
we will find it .

We are Neogaf for we are many.

Paganmoon

Lol. Those analogies were so shit. Comparing using a mobile phone, that is made to connect to other people over a network, to a fucking game console created for your entertainment. How the fuck are people still allowed to use Twitter, hahaha.

Regarding mobilephones, most have Flight Mode, so they're not even always online devices... I can play games and listen to music on mine without an Internet connection.
So the analogy fails on so many levels.

/P

Sera O

Banned
Yup, it wasn't my analogy :)

But i'd still think it was a good thing that this information came out. I reckon the pitchforks should rather be directed at microsoft.

Oh definitely - wonder what kind of response or lack of response there will be to this. I think they will be forced to say something if it's not true or if it's not as bad as we think (increasingly unlikely scenario from the thickening rumours), but if the three minute thing is true they will not say a thing, take the hit for now, and try to wait for it to blow over so they have some chance of selling it when people aren't so freshly ticked off.

I disagree 100%. While I doubt his actions will have consequences on the work space, he deserves to lose his job and degrade to an income level in which he'll experience what an online connection means to most people. It's not just what he said on twitter, but the way he said it. I refused to beleive he was an actual MS rep by the childish way he talks and de dumbest anaolgies ever.

I don't have as many games as you do, but I have supported the 360 over the years, more than my PS3. If MS really goes down the way that most rumours describe, then I won't mourn them. It's rediculous how clueless these people seem to be, given the reaction of the twitter dude. They've fucked Windows 7 by Windows 8, they've fucked Windows Phone 7 by Windows Phone 7 (no typo), and if they fuck Xbox 360 by this kinectified online dvr, then it's game over MS.

Top Bottom